CA CA - Valencia, 2 WhtFems UP4388 & 4389, 17-35, in riverbed near I-5, Jan'80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry if I'm forgetting something obvious -- do we know for a fact that the two girls were from the same area? Or that the same person killed them?

I know I've read in some other cases in this part of California that remains wash down the ravines after big storms and wind up in the same place even though they were in different upstream areas to begin with.
It is very likely the same hands took their lives but they don't have to be from the same area, just from the same route. If the route from the two locations and Valencia has no really major and sudden detours it fits. For example the route from Spanaway, where Andria went missing Eugene, where Benita went missing and Valencia, where the bodies were found is mainly just a straight line south via the I5. We don't know for a fact but it seems likely given the circumstances like that we don't really know #UP4388's gender and ethnicity for a fact but it's safe to assume they were a Caucasian Female given the circumstances of who she was found with.

It is very likely the same hands took their lives but they don't have to be from the same area, just from the same route. If the route from the two locations and Valencia has no really major and sudden detours it fits. For example the route from Spanaway, where Andria went missing Eugene, where Benita went missing and Valencia, where the bodies were found is mainly just a straight line south via the I5. We don't know for a fact but it seems likely given the circumstances like that we don't really know #UP4388's gender and ethnicity for a fact but it's safe to assume they were a Caucasian Female given the circumstances of who she was found with.

Yeah, but couldn't the killer have made two different trips?

Yeah, but couldn't the killer have made two different trips?
Yes it's possible as #UP4389's earliest year of death is 1979 while #UP4388's is 1978. Maybe one was killed first but we have no evidence to claim they died at the same time or died at different times so either is possible.

I decided to make an extended post about Benita Chamberlin. She's never been mentioned while Barbara McLure has to my knowledge. For links please check the table that I have provided and click/tap on the blue text. This also does match with Andria Bailey as she went missing in either 1979 or 1978 and Benita went missing in 1978.
Original
Original

The only things wrong with both pictures is the jaw is off by a bit and the whole eye being lower. I will leave you with the links to both cases and the usual table.
Benita Chamberlin
#MP869
Valencia Jane Doe (1980) #UP4388Possible?
SexFemaleUnsure, Likely FemaleLikely
RaceWhite/CaucasianUnsure, Likely CaucasianLikely
Hair ColorBlond/StrawberryBlond/StrawberryMatch
Eye ColorBlueUnknownPossible
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CFebruary 23, 19781978-1980Match
Estimated Age Range2417-35Match
Height5'5"5'4"-5'7"Match
Weight120lbs120-140lbsMatch
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneRight eye slightly lower than leftUnknown
CircumstancesWent missing from a hospital. She had recently given birthFound in a wash with #UP4389Possible
DistanceEugene-Oregon824 miles, 1,037 miles including Spanaway, WA, where Andria Bailey went missing.Possible
It's also noted with the distance that if you find the route from Spanaway, WA to Eugene, OR and finally to Valencia, CA you can draw pretty much a straight line with 0 major detours. DNA is unavailable in the Doe's case so Benita nor any MP is not an automatic rule out. Let me know if I should submit!
Benita Chamberlin thread:

I believe Elaine Robertson is now a listed exclusion on NamUs! This is honestly good news knowing we have another match for UP4388 with Benita Chamberlin and people will know that Elaine Robertson is excluded!

Here are some tables I made for the likleyhood of Andria being her Doe and Elaine being hers.
Elaine:
Elaine Robertson #MP4998Valencia Doe (1980) #UP4388Possible?
SexFemaleUnsure, Likely FemaleLikely Considering Circumstances
RaceCaucasianUnsure, Likely CaucasianLikely Considering Circumstances
Hair ColorBrownLight Brown/BlondPossible
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CMay 27, 19791978-1980Match
Estimated Age Range2417-35Match
Height5'6"5'4"-5'7"Match
Weight130lbs120-140lbsMatch
Distinctive FeaturesRight Eye possibly slightly lower than leftRight Eye slightly lower than leftPossible
CircumstancesMissing from Mt. Rainer, WA with her dog.Found with #UP4389Likely Considering potential match of #UP4389
Distance1,085 miles on her own. Even lower considering her home was in CA.1,131 miles with potential match of #UP4389Likely Considering potential match of #UP4389 and Circumstances.
Andria:
Andria Ann Bailey #MP5814Valencia Jane Doe (1980) #UP4389Possible?
SexFemaleFemaleMatch
RaceCaucasianCaucasianMatch
Hair ColorBrownUnknownPossible
Eye ColorBrownUnknownPossible
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CSometime in 1979, possibly October 29, 19791979-1980Match
Estimated Age Range1617-24Possible
Height5'5"5'5"-5'9"Match
Weight110lbs115-130lbsMatch
Distinctive FeaturesBrown Birthmark on backUnknown. Skeletal RemainsPossible
CircumstancesWent Missing after Walking Home from School or a Party. Sources Unclear.Found in a wash with #UP4388Likely considering potential match of #UP4388
Distance1,068 miles on her own.1,131 miles with potential match of #UP4389Likely considering potential match of #UP4388
This took a while to write out but was worth it as you get a better idea of how likely the match is!
Here is Andria Ann Bailey's thread:

Here is Andria Ann Bailey's thread:

Thank you! I knew these but people who can't find them have them! No news on Andria or Benita yet though. I guess I'll know if one of them is added to an exclusions list OR a Doe or a MP is removed from NamUs. Took me about a week to be notified of Elaine's exclusion so this may take a while. I just hope it doesn't take 10 years just to exclude one of them as I have seen happen before. Fingers crossed!

I found some "backup" matches for both in case Benita and Andria are excluded. I think everything fits here but location in some cases. Not sure if any of these were mentioned though. I mentioned all the very unlikely ones that I could only rule out on location.

Weird that the McDaniel sisters both pop us as possible when running a search. It's possible but they went missing all the way in FL so I am very unconvinced. Peggy, Patty. The chipped tooth may exclude Patty though.

So few details are available in the case of Vicki Martinez is it possible she ran away to CA and was murdered?

Barbara Bockwith does share similarities with UP4388 but Barbara did go missing in FL but her car was found in the airport so I'm unsure.

Teresa Byers also seems possible. Foul play is suspected in her case which seems to rule out her running away though.

Mary Sprague went missing all the way in FL but everything else matches up.

Kimberly Doss went missing all they way in FL but that's it. (Is it just me or does she look exactly like Patricia Spencer or at least one of the photo.)

99% sure Wendy Byron has been mentioned before but just checking. I wonder if there's a relation to the Elizabeth Byron I mentioned in a different post. I'll look into it.

The final match I have here is Lisa Sprague. Wonder if there's a relation to Mary Sprague. I will also look into this relation too.

That's it! Let me know who's been excludes/mentioned and who's likely and for what Doe if Andria and Benita are not the Doe's!

New list of UP4388 exclusions:
  • Lisa Borden
  • Jane Wakefield
  • Sherry Roach
  • Angela Meeker
  • Connie Minchaca
  • Lucinda Schaefer
  • Debra Kidwell
  • Elaine Robertson
  • Benita Chamberlin

Last edited:
Benita Chamberlin has now been excluded.... back to the drawing board.
Wow, I really thought that Benita was a potential match for Valencia Jane Doe but anyway, it's good that they considered her and that people know that she is now on the exclusion list.

Wow, I really thought that Benita was a potential match for Valencia Jane Doe but anyway, it's good that they considered her and that people know that she is now on the exclusion list.
Who should I try submitting next out of the list/who seems most likely now? Do I need to go on the hunt again?

PMI is the only thing wrong with a match between UP4388 and Cindy Mellin. Should I submit?
CMellin.jpg
1367UFCA_LARGE.jpg

Here is the table:
Cindy Lee Mellin #MP6849Valencia Doe (1980) #UP4388
RaceCaucasianUnsure, Likely CaucasianLikely Considering Circumstances
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CJanuary 20, 19701978-1980Unlikely. PMI has been very in cases before however.
Estimated Age Range1917-35Match
Height5'6"5'4"-5'7"Match
Weight105lbs120-140lbsMatch
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneRight Eye slightly lower than leftPossible but Unlikely
CircumstancesLast seen with an unknown man fixing her car.Found with #UP4389Unlikely Considering potential match of #UP4389. Possible on her own.
DistanceVentura-Valencia47.9 miles (58 mins)Match on her own.
Let me know what you think!

Decided to make a post on Barbara Bockwith. I think she bears most resemblance with UP4388 and she may have gone on a plane as her car was found in the airport parking lot. My question is did she have enough time to decompose? It says PMI is 1978-1980 so I guess so.
Original
Original

It's table time!
Barbara Ann Bockwith #MP22671Valencia Doe (1980) #UP4388Possible?
RaceWhite/CaucasianUnsure, Likely CaucasianLikely Considering Circumstances
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CDecember 5, 19791978-1980Match
Estimated Age Range2017-35Match
Height5'4"5'4"-5'7"Match
Weight115lbs120-140lbsMatch
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneRight Eye slightly lower than leftPossible but Unlikely
CircumstancesLeft home for class but never returned. Car found in airportFound with #UP4389Possible
Distance2,102 miles.Car found in airport.Possible considering her car was found at an airport.
And there we have another detailed match for UP4388. No news on Andria Bailey and UP4389 yet. Hoping for something soon.

It looks to me like Cindy is worth submitting. PMI being a bit longer isn't a fatal objection, and it looks to me like Cindy's eyes could be slightly askew.

I'm not wild about Barbara, but she's possible.

It looks to me like Cindy is worth submitting. PMI being a bit longer isn't a fatal objection, and it looks to me like Cindy's eyes could be slightly askew.

I'm not wild about Barbara, but she's possible.
Wow! Now looking at it Barbara's eyes do look askew like the Doe's!

Decided to make a post on Barbara Bockwith. I think she bears most resemblance with UP4388 and she may have gone on a plane as her car was found in the airport parking lot. My question is did she have enough time to decompose? It says PMI is 1978-1980 so I guess so.
Original
Original

It's table time!
Barbara Ann Bockwith #MP22671Valencia Doe (1980) #UP4388Possible?
RaceWhite/CaucasianUnsure, Likely CaucasianLikely Considering Circumstances
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CDecember 5, 19791978-1980Match
Estimated Age Range2017-35Match
Height5'4"5'4"-5'7"Match
Weight115lbs120-140lbsMatch
CircumstancesLeft home for class but never returned. Car found in airportFound with #UP4389Possible
Distance2,102 miles.Car found in airport.Possible considering her car was found at an airport.
And there we have another detailed match for UP4388. No news on Andria Bailey and UP4389 yet. Hoping for something soon.
More information and Barbara Ann Bockwith's thread:

Barbara Ann Bockwith – The Charley Project

I have now submitted the match between Cindy Mellin and UP4388. I think it's possible!
More info and Cindy Lee Mellin's thread:

Cindy Lee Mellin – The Charley Project

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487