Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if the L's did escape to Mexico for some reason w/ little NO with them and whatever vehicle they drove in, he was hidden from sight so that there would no chance of authorities questioning them about who little boy was and requiring them to produce letter from parents confirming permission to take him with them.

Had the L's ever travelled w/ NO out of country in the past and if so, would the letter of permission from parents be time-limited (eg: for just one trip) or could it be used for future travels?
Do you honestly believe these grandparents faked their deaths and the death of one of their grandkids, leaving the other two children behind, all for what? To cause their daughter inexplicable pain? What on earth would be their motive to do THAT to their children and grandchildren?

Do you honestly believe these grandparents faked their deaths and the death of one of their grandkids, leaving the other two children behind, all for what? To cause their daughter inexplicable pain? What on earth would be their motive to do THAT to their children and grandchildren?

I certainly hope that people are not capable of that. I am sure the family was also questioned about the possibility in the beginning. It can be hard to comprehend but it certainly should be explored. The tid-bits of info we have as the public could point that way now and we should be able to explore it.

Yes, unfortunately, there seems to be an inclination to read the post only, rather than the quote the post is replying to as well. So much gets taken out of context when you don't follow the conversation.

It certainly does.

Just out of curiosity...I have crossed the border quite a few times...pre-911 tho....it was much more relaxed then....'where are you from...where are you going...purpose of trip...'

With the security as it is today....is there a record *cctv/video...computerized scan of docs...license plate etc...plane/train/bus ticket* for every single crossing?

Why I'm asking is...we're talking going across the border with passports...fake passports...letters...maybe even disguised? I'm hoping against hope like everyone else it could be possible but wouldn't border security/customs have reported something?

We, or at least I don't, have any idea just how much of their belongings they actually sold. It was a long weekend and the weekend before Calgary Stampede, might not have had the attendance at their sale as they would have had another weekend. There may have still been a lot of 'comforts of home' left in there.
This was in the setting of AL and KL having a planned escape to Mexico.
Had JO suggested she leave a sleeping NO, there were many potential "outs"
NO needn't have been part of a haphazard plan

I certainly hope that people are not capable of that. I am sure the family was also questioned about the possibility in the beginning. It can be hard to comprehend but it certainly should be explored. The tid-bits of info we have as the public could point that way now and we should be able to explore it.
Explore away but be prepared to explain how grandpa and grannie Liknes fooled the CPS and Chief Medical Examiner in thinking they died while getting across one maybe two borders with an Amber Alert out.

Just out of curiosity...I have crossed the border quite a few times...pre-911 tho....it was much more relaxed then....'where are you from...where are you going...purpose of trip...'

With the security as it is today....is there a record *cctv/video...computerized scan of docs...license plate etc...plane/train/bus ticket* for every single crossing?

Why I'm asking is...we're talking going across the border with passports...fake passports...letters...maybe even disguised? I'm hoping against hope like everyone else it could be possible but wouldn't border security/customs have reported something?

Maybe they (border security/customs) have reported something and it prompted LE to investigate further.

Maybe they (border security/customs) have reported something and it prompted LE to investigate further.
A month later? If there was even a *sliver* of a chance any one if these people were alive, the police would be holding a press conference PDQ. They would not hide these types of facts to save face on their arrest.

Explore away but be prepared to explain how grandpa and grannie Liknes fooled the CPS and Chief Medical Examiner in thinking they died while getting across one maybe two borders with an Amber Alert out.
I totally agree. Faking a death isn't that easy .... it's not about cutting your finger and wiping it on the wall .... this isn't Days of Our Lives, [emoji5]

For what it is worth... I just finished listening to The World at 6 news report by the CBC here on Vancouver Island. To partially quote them in their explanation of the Mexican search
"Douglas Garland's sister was in a relationship with the son of Alvin Liknes." A definite use of past tense. Wonder if that has any meaning or just another example of sloppy wording?

Perhaps a defence argument would be that the family fled to Mexico. By going to Mexico, police can rule out that defence argument.

Perhaps a defence argument would be that the family fled to Mexico. By going to Mexico, police can rule out that defence argument.

Or maybe that is DG's story. We are unaware of what DG said happened that night, when he was questioned by police. JMO

A month later? If there was even a *sliver* of a chance any one if these people were alive, the police would be holding a press conference PDQ. They would not hide these types of facts to save face on their arrest.

True. But maybe this will lead to a press conference.

IMO there is something big with Mexico otherwise they would have kept this part of the investigation silent just like everything else. There is a reason they want the public to know this.

IMO there is something big with Mexico otherwise they would have kept this part of the investigation silent just like everything else. There is a reason they want the public to know this.
It is not clear whether police released the information or media was tipped off and gave police no choice but to respond with a statement.

I recorded the CBC Calgary news tonight. I do not see this interview posted on the website yet so I have written out word-for-word (to the best of my ability) the comments made. Here it is:

CBC News: Calgary 05/08/2014

Intro from reporter...(can't verify the reporter as my PVR had just kicked in here.) "Former police officer says, Even though there are these charges police are no-doubt looking for more evidence."

Bill Hargarten (Law Enforcement Instructor, Bow Valley College) "They have to do due-diligence, they can't have tunnel vision and just focus in on one suspect. They have to keep an open-mind, look around, go down to Mexico, coordinate with the local police and find out relationships or other things they may have to learn in Mexico."

Reporter Devin Heroux: Re: Mexican Police
Both local and state police interestingly both agencies say they are unaware of the Calgary police investigation in Mexico. However, they did forward me to Interpol Mexico and a representative with that agency did not deny any knowledge of the investigation. However, much like the Calgary police, opted to say no other words, no other detail relating to this now international and highly sensitive case.

Just viewed this and I don't know if anyone else has commented but this really disturbs me that a neighbor would be so bold as to enter the home at the offering of a moving company. I am dumbfounded.
That being said, this neighbor made some comments of the state of inside and issues with closing the home???? I see that the reporter was outside the home and it appears that KLs vehicle is still there and the outdoor furniture and Liknes family rock is still on the front porch. I assumed the lease was expired on the rental portion of the home.

Further to some posts about when the neighbor was interviewed, imo it was very recently. The neighbor referred to carpet been gone and walls and so on being cleaned. You can tell the neighbor did not want to expand on it as I believe he felt uncomfortable and hopefully had some remorse in being a voyeur on a crime scene.

I've missed a few days here over the past 2 weeks and too busy to try and read them all. I belong to a local Airdrie FB group [modsnip]. I ask those posting this to provide a link from the media, or was this perhaps just rumor. The one person who posted it states she'd read this in the media but is away camping at present so not able to search online now to find the link. Was any of this posted here? Is this 'news' to anyone else here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member