Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a long shot but he had a towel on the seat of his truck. Maybe he knew he'd be getting dirty back at the farm and wanted to keep the rental car seat clean.

Good thinking. Maybe he was going to check on something that might be incriminating, and wanted to avoid hauling any evidence into the rental car, such as ashes, or chemical residue from the burned grass, or??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so glad we ended with the takedown ... after the grueling prior day and a half's testimony. It was a welcome relief for me.

Me too. I enjoyed thinking of that loser running through a field and jumping in bushes too.

Thanks again, JadeSLeuth. I doubt I could have stayed with the tweets and kept any composure. You be sure to take time to unwind tonight and take care of yourself. You have been valuable here .... keep it that way. :loveyou:

When are we going to hear why the dog was sniffing at the little green sweater???? What a long couple of days? Must be so hard on the family.

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 20s20 seconds ago
At outbuilding #3 - Sully gives an alert near a storage rack. Wiliams notices a small green sweater hanging on rack #Garland

I'd say he was unsuccessful in accomplishing anything. What you say makes sense, and that might be what he was after. I don't know that it would have made any difference either way.

I agree, he was unsuccessful. But maybe he was laying a foundation for casting doubt at his closing arguments as to whether the Ls and N ever made it out of the house alive.

If true, it speaks to the pathetic defence case, that their best strategy may be to say "he killed them quickly, and only dismembered and burned away their remains. He didn't kidnap or torture them!"
MOO

I was quite pregnant in July 2014 so Mr.Dodes and I would often go for walks in Nose Creek park in the evenings, once it cooled down outside. The thought of us potentially walking past or being in the same vicinity as DG makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I don't know if we'll hear any more about the journal. Wouldn't the Crown have mentioned it in opening statements if it had anything of value to the Prosecution?

I think ... correct me if I'm wrong ... that the journal can only be brought into evidence if DG testifies.

Now that I wrote that down, I'm not so sure anymore. I'll see if I can find out.

I agree, he was unsuccessful. But maybe he was laying a foundation for casting doubt at his closing arguments as to whether the Ls and N ever made it out of the house alive.

If true, it speaks to the pathetic defence case, that their best strategy may be to say "he killed them quickly, and only dismembered and burned away their remains. He didn't kidnap or torture them!"
MOO

Especially since no matter where they died it's 1st degree murder. The jury is not going to believe all that computer stuff and all of his weapons/restraints were just "collections" and a coincidence. He planned that murder and he planned to take them out of that house alive. If he messed that up and ended up killing them at the house it's still 1st degree. ( that is my understanding anyways)

Wasn't he staying at a motel at that point? A motel has towels. He needed a towel he could throw away, it seems. So I agree, he must have wanted to clean up, wipe up or mop up something he considered incriminating. What else do you use a towel for?

Maybe Garland had a bladder issue and wanted the towel for the rental car in case he had an accident? I recall seeing a photo of the interior of the truck and there was a pink towel across the driver's seat. Also, in the last testimony today the officer following Garland mentioned that Garland stopped on the side of the road at point. When the officer pulled up later he noticed a wet spot as if something had either been poured out or Garland urinated.

Especially since no matter where they died it's 1st degree murder. The jury is not going to believe all that computer stuff and all of his weapons/restraints were just "collections" and a coincidence. He planned that murder and he planned to take them out of that house alive. If he messed that up and ended up killing them at the house it's still 1st degree. ( that is my understanding anyways)

Unless somehow killing NO can be downgraded to 2nd degree or even manslaughter? DG only set out to commit 2 murders? Just trying to guess what possible strategy the defence might use. MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rereading these tweets makes me think Ross is actually trying to get the witness to state that there was indeed "significant amount of blood loss". Is it possible he's actually trying to prove the Ls and NO must have died from blood loss at the house, rather than later on at the farm, after being kidnapped and tortured? Thus minimizing the charges for which his client will be convicted?

I'm not quite caught up but....... wonder if they're going to try:

1) the victims were already deceased when DG loaded them into the truck and took them to his property to chop them up and incinerate them?

2) they were already deceased when the person who had stolen/borrowed DG's green truck loaded them up to take to DG's property to chop them up and incinerate them?

My my my....a Journal!

He was coming apart. Walking around talking himself out loud, writing in his journal. He was told he was not to go back to the farm. It was the ONE PLACE he could not go to.

And yet he went; all the while knowing that a cop car was on site holding the scene. He suspected he might be followed but didn't care. HE HAD TO GO BACK AND FINISH WHAT HE COULDN'T FINISH EARLIER!!!!

That journal would be relatively new. He would have purchased it shortly after being released from prison. No computer, can't get to his stuff, he starts writing. I think lists of things. Not sure thoughts; but lists.

The Crown is winding up with a big bang. Tomorrow I think will be quite compelling.

Unless somehow killing NO can be downgraded to 2nd degree or even manslaughter? DG only set out to commit 2 murders? Just trying to guess what possible strategy the defence might use. MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that may be what his lawyer is trying for. To get the charge for NO reduced but i don't think he will be successful. It's his job to try though. The jury is not coming back with less than 1st degree on the murder of a 5 year old.

I can't remember where I read it but I did some reading on Juries. Juries are smart. They take their job very seriously and want to do right. They can see through the smoke and mirrors just like those of us here can see what is happening. They can't be fooled. They will do their best and lose sleep and feel sick and exhausted by the end of the trial. They either believe the witnesses or they don't.

This Jury, will do the right thing. It doesn't matter what the Defence floats for their ears to hear, the Jury knows the truth and will see justice done and that includes 3 guilty verdicts of 1st degree murder.

I cannot believe that they can be swayed by the Defence by whatever means they choose to present, that Nathan's murder was anything less than 1st degree.

MOO

I'm not quite caught up but....... wonder if they're going to try:

1) the victims were already deceased when DG loaded them into the truck and took them to his property to chop them up and incinerate them?

2) they were already deceased when the person who had stolen/borrowed DG's green truck loaded them up to take to DG's property to chop them up and incinerate them?
Or it was someone in a truck that just looked like DGs and just happened to drive the same route home, then to DG's psychiatrist, then did some bad searches on the computer and planted remains and dna at the farm...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Or it was someone in a truck that just looked like DGs and just happened to drive the same route home, then to DG's psychiatrist, then did some bad searches on the computer and planted remains and dna at the farm...

And managed to get some of KL's DNA hidden behind the license plate......

And managed to get some of KL's DNA hidden behind the license plate......
Oh yes, don't forget that! I just really want to hear the defence's opening/closing statement word for word ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member