Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one broke into the house but did everyone leave the house unlocked or locked? If JO arrived Monday morning at 10 AM, and no one answered the door (even with car in driveway) and it was locked, she might assume they intended to come back. If it was unlocked and she walked in, called out and went looking in the house, she should have noticed the house in disarray from when she left it 12 hours earlier and noticed blood or something. She might have then thought of phoning around the family and maybe hospitals or whatever thinking primarily of her son. It wasn't until 4 pm I believe that the Amber Alert was issued saying NO could be with AL.

That's an interesting point. The house was sold in Dec2013, so maybe that was when there was a decision to move assets around in anticipation of the bankruptcy.

Yes, thanks Otto, that makes sense...that he perhaps saw the bankruptcy pending and was just preparing. I was curious about timing...

There's just a term that keeps coming to mind when I think about this case, and that is "the perfect storm" - like there were all these co-occurring factors that were swirling around for a period of time that just descended down at the same time to create this horrible 'event/crime' - I don't know what to call it anymore other than there are three people missing!

Yes, thanks Otto, that makes sense...that he perhaps saw the bankruptcy pending and was just preparing. I was curious about timing...

There's just a term that keeps coming to mind when I think about this case, and that is "the perfect storm" - like there were all these co-occurring factors that were swirling around for a period of time that just descended down at the same time to create this horrible 'event/crime' - I don't know what to call it anymore other than there are three people missing!

I think that perfect storm is the reason that they are missing. They had sold their home, they had terminated the lease for the business, they had vacated the office space, they were liquidating the house contents, they declared bankruptcy June 25, and they announced that they were leaving the country. It looks like there was a lot of anticipation regarding wrapping everything up at the end of June. What the family did not anticipate was that someone, who was out of pocket for contracted work, might go to the house to demand payment. I think this should have been anticipated.

Trying to think of benign possibilities - things not involving murder most foul, etc. Uhm, what if a truck or van or other vehicle was rented or borrowed by AL or a family member on the day before for the purpose of moving a heavy item - fridge, sofa, what-have-you to a buyer's place on Monday morning. What if KL needed to pick up something at a store so decided to tag along and little NO was up and racing around the house anyway. Could they have got lost and run into danger somehow? Broken down vehicle on a backroad? Slide off the road into a deep ditch or river? This speculation is a bit far out given the initial LE reports, but LE are not infallible and one of my life observation is that when situations seem incredibly complicated it's usually some stupid little overlooked obvious thing that's sparked the problem. IMO. IMHO.

Interesting that the garage is only now being opened to the daylight. I agree with the speculation that the Altima was in the garage and has now been rolled out to make room for the detailed search.
IMO I don't think there would be a car in the garage. If they were preparing to move, I would assume there would be boxes, etc in the garage...I'm not too sure if their estate sale had items out in the yard or driveway that were being displayed, but if so, I would assume unsold merchandise be stored in the garage which looks to be only a single garage, unless it's a tandem...MO

I think that perfect storm is the reason that they are missing. They had sold their home, they had terminated the lease for the business, they had vacated the office space, they were liquidating the house contents, they declared bankruptcy June 25, and they announced that they were leaving the country. It looks like there was a lot of anticipation regarding wrapping everything up at the end of June. What the family did not anticipate was that someone, who was out of pocket for contracted work, might go to the house to demand payment. I think this should have been anticipated.

Yes indeed Otto. Just too coincidental for this catastrophic event to coincide with the winding down if business, the estate sale, packing up the home and moving out.

Oh, the only reason I mention this is because, given that he just got out of prison in January, let's say FC was determined to find out where his ex-wife EL (who testified against him in court and who moved from BC back to AB) and their child live and came to the L house to demand that information. We have there a person with a violent past, lots of criminal connections, a prison sentence, drugs, guns and a rap sheet that includes accidentally shooting EL at close range - twice - and breaking
into an elderly family's home and bedroom in the early morning hours and holding them at gunpoint. IMO. IMHO.

This might sound a little far fetched, but FC has been in prison for 4 years I think. If his child is around NOs age then he probably hasn't seen that child since it was a baby. Could he have went to the Likness house looking for EL and his child and thought NO was his son and tried to abduct him?

IMO I don't think there would be a car in the garage. If they were preparing to move, I would assume there would be boxes, etc in the garage...I'm not too sure if their estate sale had items out in the yard or driveway that were being displayed, but if so, I would assume unsold merchandise be stored in the garage which looks to be only a single garage, unless it's a tandem...MO

If the car had been impounded by the police, it would still be there. Maybe the car was in the garage to create parking space for the buyers coming and going that weekend.

This might sound a little far fetched, but FC has been in prison for 4 years I think. If his child is around NOs age then he probably hasn't seen that child since it was a baby. Could he have went to the Likness house looking for EL and his child and thought NO was his son and tried to abduct him?

Thats an intriguing angle to possibly explore, Im curious if anyone has thought to explore that person an his possible relationship to the family still.

I asked but no-one answered. So I assume we don't know the answer. Quite germane to the situation I think.

I seem to recall reading way back, the day after they went missing, that the house was locked when JO arrived that Monday morning to pick up NO. Will try to find link.

Just curious why this cupcake holder seems to be important to everyone. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been a new picture of it placed infront of the family home as a memorial

There has been a new picture of it placed infront of the family home as a memorial

So then I would assume whoever purchased it came back to the house and set up the memorial with it?

Is that significant? To me it doesn't seem important.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/neighbours-shocked-to-hear-douglas-garland-is-a-person-of-interest-in-missing-persons-investigation-1.1911106

In this news report you can see inside the front area of the home somewhat. I can see the corner of the loveseat that is listed on KL kijiji ads. I get the sense not a lot of the estate items were sold those two days. Two points come to mind when I view this report.

Firstly, the LE don't appear to be interested with anything on the main living area as they begin to walk in the direction of where the stairs would be located in a side split home which is generally in the middle of the home and seem to look upwards towards the area above the garage in deep discussion. If this is the area where the desks were located as well as the leather couch set and bookcases, it could be the office-den area of the home. The bedrooms being in the back of the home. If there is something of concern on the main level of the home you can be certain LE would close the front door as they know a reporter was zooming in on that door.

Secondly, were AL and KL attempting to raise money during the estate sale to help them pay off a debt and being that it seems not a lot of people who attended did not purchase anything and there seems to be a lot of furniture still in the home perhaps the grandparents fell short on their financial obligation and someone was not happy with this and it escalated.

So then I would assume whoever purchased it came back to the house and set up the memorial with it?

Is that significant? To me it doesn't seem important.

Either the family still had the piece and set it up for a memorial or more than likely someone purchased it at the sale and came and set it up which is a lovely gesture. Nothing to read into that imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine