Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You may have answered your own question. You are assuming death didn't occur in the home.

Perhaps more charges will be brought as evidence continues to be collected.

I was thinking more along the lines of all 3 being taken from the home, that Nathan might be considered to still be in the care/control of his grandparents, and possibly the Crown felt they might not be able to prove the kidnapping aspect.

So Cardston Alberta....
Birth: 15 March 1966
Marriage: Not Available
Death: 30 October 1980
Cemetery:
Cardston Cemetery
Cardston County, Alberta, Canada
If you look at "billion graves" online and use the name MKH, a photo of the gravestone is shown along with a map. Having trouble posting from my iPad. Hope this helps.

The question is whether there was a long weekend, or any reason for Douglas Garland to drive home on October 30, 1980. Was that a Friday? Was it related to Halloween?

He should have been in Edmonton in his second year of a BSc with an eye on the undergraduate pre-Med program. He was accepted into that undergraduate program, and was then expelled for cheating. Douglas Garland alleged that he had an asleep at the wheel incident at the same time that he was caught cheating. He claimed that the car crash resulted in trauma, and he quit medical school. It's more likely that he was caught cheating and was expelled, there was no car accident, and Garland has a long history of lying and getting away with it in the legal system.

So, U of A Edmonton, October 30, 1980. Where was Garland ... the accident is important to him ... could the bodies be nearby?

Psychopaths do not fit the criteria for NCR (not criminally responsible).

I get the pre-planned part for I'm sure he was waiting JO to leave the house, not knowing the little boy was still inside. DG's demeanor reminds me of the suspects in the TB case in Ontario, just pure evil.

The police investigation may have gone silent, but that doesn't mean that anyone should stop figuring it out

And these aliases come up also:
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS
Alias HARTLEY, MATTHEW Kemper
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS John

Psychopaths do not fit the criteria for NCR (not criminally responsible).

Sociopaths do. Some sociopaths are psychopaths, but not all psychopaths are sociopaths. Many people in high positions are sociopaths and never commit a crime. The terms of sociopath and psychopath have been combined in the category of Antisocial Personality Disorder ... per the field of psychology.

I get the pre-planned part for I'm sure he was waiting JO to leave the house, not knowing the little boy was still inside. DG's demeanor reminds me of the suspects in the TB case in Ontario, just pure evil.

I think that Garland was festering over what he believed to be a stolen opportunity for many years.
What he did to the child is beyond redemption.

Would what they recollect be useful? The question is faking, or not, is based on voices to kill or faking voices to kill because it's a worthwhile legal strategy. In the past, there has been faking with this convicted ciminal. Is there any RCMP record of Douglas Garland having a head on collision and, if so, where was that? The death of a 14 year old boy driving on the highway is something that stayed with Garland all these years? Matthew Hartley, the false identity used by Douglas Garland, died at the age of 14 where Garland was 20, and two years into his Bachelor of Science degree. At the age of 32, when Garland wanted to escape prison, he moved to Vancouver and assumed the identity of a boy who died when Garland was 20, twelve years earlier. This child's death had a huge impact on him. I think that would be a good place to search. Where was the accident? Where was the memorial? Where are the graves?

Cherchi, did you post the Lethbridge articles about the Carstairs (where ever it was) crash that killed Matthew and his sister? Could you link them again please? Where was Garland on that day, and are there any good hiding spots in that area?

I wonder if a better hiding place would be relative to the oilfield where the patented separator was tested? This was the root of the dispute. Now to determine where it was tested and ultimately failed!

So Cardston Alberta....
Birth: 15 March 1966
Marriage: Not Available
Death: 30 October 1980
Cemetery:
Cardston Cemetery
Cardston County, Alberta, Canada
If you look at "billion graves" online and use the name MKH, a photo of the gravestone is shown along with a map. Having trouble posting from my iPad. Hope this helps.

It may not be of much use, but I found the obituaries for MKH and his sister. (Hope I've done this right)

http://lethbridgeherald.newspaperarchive.com/lethbridge-herald/1980-10-30/page-44

image.jpg

The question is whether there was a long weekend, or any reason for Douglas Garland to drive home on October 30, 1980. Was that a Friday? Was it related to Halloween?

He should have been in Edmonton in his second year of a BSc with an eye on the undergraduate pre-Med program. He was accepted into that undergraduate program, and was then expelled for cheating. Douglas Garland alleged that he had an asleep at the wheel incident at the same time that he was caught cheating. He claimed that the car crash resulted in trauma, and he quit medical school. It's more likely that he was caught cheating and was expelled, there was no car accident, and Garland has a long history of lying and getting away with it in the legal system.

So, U of A Edmonton, October 30, 1980. Where was Garland ... the accident is important to him ... could the bodies be nearby?

See Thread #4, my post on 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM #814:

ztzt said:
Seems to be October 29, 1980. MKH's sister died Oct. 29, 1980, MKH died the following day, Oct. 30. (according to their graves)

October 29, 1980 was a Wednesday.

October 30, 1980, was a Thursday. The next long weekend might be November 11, so there was no long weekend.
Was he at school, taking classes, or did he drive home and take a long weekend because he was cheating and doing the work didn't matter?

The lights were on in the front hallway and I believe the overhead kitchen light of the Likeness home in one of the very first police clips.
In most neighbourhoods there are light sleepers, and lights on in the middle of the night would have gotten someone's attention, at least on my street. The sleuth in me would have kept a watch for a while to see if something was going on.

I also find it interesting that the killer would risk dragging the deceased to the front of the home, when the back alley with the other garages offering cover, and the park right in back, would have been 'safer'.
A light on in the twilight, or early morning hours is less likely to cause suspicion.

It's possible that he knew that the L's nextdoor neighbour's house was empty, maybe?

Is it a different Douglas Garland that is associated with 2 online sermons for a church in Airdrie?

Yes, it is a different DG. I googled "doug garland" "airdrie reformed presbyterian". If you click on the 3rd google hit:

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q="doug+garland"+"airdrie+reformed+presbyterian"

Top right, you'll see And**w Qui**ey affiliated with the Airdrie Reformed Presbyterian church. When you google AQ's name and the Airdrie Reformed Presbyterian church, it is the one in Airdrie, Scotland.

There are Presbyterian churches in Airdrie, AB but none known as "Airdrie Reformed Presbyterian". When the Garland farm came into play, I was initially interested in knowing what church the Gs may have attended because of their ages and this article associated with the Airdrie Alliance Church:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2011/09/20110925-090304.html

Sociopaths do. Some sociopaths are psychopaths, but not all psychopaths are sociopaths. Many people in high positions are sociopaths and never commit a crime. The terms of sociopath and psychopath have been combined in the category of Antisocial Personality Disorder ... per the field of psychology.

JMO - personality disorders do not fit in with NCR (not criminally responsible).

It may not be of much use, but I found the obituaries for MKH and his sister. (Hope I've done this right)

View attachment 54946

So October 29, 1980, and I thought that she died two days after the crash. The 30th was a Thursday, so the 29th was a Wednesday, and did she pass away two days after the crash, or did I misunderstand? In any case, the crash was midweek and there was no reason for Douglas Garland to be in that location if he was a full time student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Was he there? Why were they on the road? Where exactly was the accident ... that might be an area of concentration for Garland. I bet he drove there after hearing about the crash.

JMO - personality disorders do not fit in with NCR (not criminally responsible).

We'll have to wait about a year and a half to see a resolution to this case.
... Hannibal Lectur types are not criminally responsible and should be in general prison population (Pickton)?

Where does Garland fit?

We're all aware of DG's criminal past, here's more details you can look up on the BC Courts public website of course, assuming this is indeed the same DRG. (link: https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/file/charges.do?fileID=474900.0007) Hopefully this is okay to post mods!

Notice these are from 1992 and for BC only:
42183-1-H 1 23-Oct-1992 FDA - 39(1) Traffic in a controlled drug Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 2 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 353(1)(b) possessing automobile master key Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 3 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 4 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 5 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 6 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 354 Possession of property obtained by crime Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 7 20-Nov-1992 CCC - 355(a) PSP - Over $1,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 8 20-Nov-1992 CCC - 355(b) PSP - Under $1,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 9 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 90(1) Possession of a prohibited weapon Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert

Also, I searched under the alias Matthew Hartley and the name Douglas John Garland comes up with these charges from 1998: (BBM):
41250-2-C 2 02-Oct-1998 CCC - 355(a) PSP Over $5,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS John Richmond BC
41250-2-C 4 02-Oct-1998 CCC - 129(a) wilfully resisting or obstructing a peace officer Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS John Richmond BC

And these aliases come up also:
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS
Alias HARTLEY, MATTHEW Kemper
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS John

I wonder if the Alberta Court files have a lot also? Quite the past even if he *might* be innocent until proven guilty. Sorry for the super long post, lost of info here. Oh and PSP=possesion of stolen property which I didn't know what it meant until I looked it up!

Auto theft is a major industry in the Lower Mainland. Sounds to me like he was popped for something and was discovered to be in possession of tools commonly used when stealing cars - a master key and maybe a set of lock picks. Not sure about the weapon charge, but if it were a gun, the charge itself would have specifically referenced a firearm. A couple months after the initial arrest on that file, additional charges of PSP over/under were added.

I'll take a gander and see what I can find re: disposition of those charges.

So October 29, 1980, and I thought that she died two days after the crash. The 30th was a Thursday, so the 29th was a Wednesday, and did she pass away two days after the crash, or did I misunderstand? In any case, the crash was midweek and there was no reason for Douglas Garland to be in that location if he was a full time student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Was he there? Why were they on the road? Where exactly was the accident ... that might be an area of concentration for Garland. I bet he drove there after hearing about the crash.

I was trying so hard to get through all the pages of that newspaper archive (thinking there *might* be an article about the crash), but I didn't see anything, and it only allows a certain amount of PDF views per day. Most of the paper was related to Alberta's 75th year and a bunch of memory-lane articles. If someone searched for the October 31 edition, maybe there is an article there? I was surprised MKH had his obituary published as it was the same day he died that it appeared in the paper (I'm guessing he died in the early hours of the morning). Don't quote me, but I was under the impression his sister died the day of the accident and he the day after. I don't remember where I read that, though.

October 30, 1980, was a Thursday. The next long weekend might be November 11, so there was no long weekend.
Was he at school, taking classes, or did he drive home and take a long weekend because he was cheating and doing the work didn't matter?

Here's the patent info:
Publication number US20020007953 A1
Publication type Application
Application number US 09/879,944
Publication date 24 Jan 2002
Filing date 14 Jun 2001
Priority date 18 Jul 2000
Also published as CA2313617A1, US6629566
Inventors Alvin Liknes
Original Assignee Liknes Alvin C.
Export Citation BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan
Referenced by (6), Classifications (8), Legal Events (3)
External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet
There's a very lengthy abstract here: http://www.google.com.ar/patents/US20020007953
Method and apparatus for removing water from well-bore of gas wells to permit efficient production of gas
US 20020007953 A1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member