Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of dogs, didn't AL and KL have a dog? And if so, where's the dog now? TIA.

There's no information about the Liknes couple having a dog. There is a photo of a black lab behind a Three Sisters Candelabra, but the dog has been confirmed many times as belonging to the friend in Canmore who owns the candelabra ... the friend's black lab.

I don't know of you live in Calgary, but I do.

The weather here can be VERY crazy and extreme, with wind, hail, driving rain. Anything that DG could have "hidden" in the trees wouldn't stay there for long!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do too, and dg was a hunter so he would have various winches and dressing articles for caches that get hung in trees. or it could be concealed in a hole or wrapped around a limb.

Do you mean that maybe he has hidden evidence in the trees?

Maybe he was like Ryan Jenkins, putting bodies in dumpsters as he fled the area. Maybe that's why the search at the Spyhill Landfill continued well after searchers were puking.

I do too, and dg was a hunter so he would have various winches and dressing articles for caches that get hung in trees. or it could be concealed in a hole or wrapped around a limb.

Gotcha! Good point.

If DG did hide things in this manner, I worry about so much time having gone by now with the weather and the animals (sorry) :(

Does Douglas Garland have any connection to hunting? I would be surprised to learn that a science nerd was also a hunter ... seems like an oxymoron in Garland's case, but enlighten me ... how was he a hunter?

As a farmer, he would have a winch, a hook, and a pick up truck. No trees would be removed from the property because it's the open, treeless prairie. All the trees on the property were planted (eg: trees on either side of the driveway) by his parents.

Did he shoot gophers with a 22 or deer with a cross bow ... what do you mean by "hunter"?

Gotcha! Good point.

If DG did hide things in this manner, I worry about so much time having gone by now with the weather and the animals (sorry) :(

I wonder about the time between the murders; probably between 10 and midnight on June 29, and the time that the green truck was identified and linked to the Airdrie acreage ... that's Monday, June 29 to Friday, July 4, that Douglas Garland had to double check that he didn't make a mistake, to revisit his crime scenes. I think that he removed the bodies to obscure evidence, and that he returned to the scene to hose down the area. I think that he drove the bodies to his parents property, where one of the victims may have been alive, or bleeding, and I think that means that he removed the bodies from the acreage between June 29 and July 4, and he probably revisited that site.

I wonder about the time between the murders; probably between 10 and midnight on June 29, and the time that the green truck was identified and linked to the Airdrie acreage ... that's Monday, June 29 to Friday, July 4, that Douglas Garland had to double check that he didn't make a mistake, to revisit his crime scenes. I think that he removed the bodies to obscure evidence, and that he returned to the scene to hose down the area. I think that he drove the bodies to his parents property, where one of the victims may have been alive, or bleeding, and I think that means that he removed the bodies from the acreage between June 29 and July 4, and he probably revisited that site.

If he removed the bodies from the acreage, I wonder where he took them?

If he removed the bodies from the acreage, I wonder where he took them?

GRAPHIC

I think it then becomes an enormous task to search properties because the bodies could be up to 2-3 hours in any one direction from his parent's home, a 4-6 hours round trip. He had five days to hide the evidence. He might feel more comfortable leaving someone in a ditch in a familiar place, but the mountains is the best bet for turning people into skeletons. Either way, I am convinced that Garland returned to the Parkhill crime scene, after removing the bodies, to clean up the scene, to attempt to remove traces of his involvement in their disappearances/murders.

What I'm trying to say is that I believe Garland visited the remains of his victims after June 29/30, and he revisited that body dump scene, just like he revisited and cleaned up the crime scene at the house. It almost seems like Garland went above and beyond in terms of trying to obfuscate his involvement in the murders.

I think it then becomes an enormous task to search properties because the bodies could be up to 2-3 hours from his parent's home in any direction. He might feel more comfortable leaving someone in a ditch in a familiar place, but the mountains is the best bet for turning people into skeletons.

OMG! Maybe he dumped them off in Banff!!!
Or maybe Canmore?

OMG! Maybe he dumped them off in Banff!!!
Or maybe Canmore?

I doubt that Garland left the bodies of his victims in popular tourist attractions like Banff and Canmore. Ditches and rock piles are more likely for the Liknes family, unless the accused found a gravel pit or disposal site that no one would suspect.

I doubt that Garland left the bodies of his victims in popular spots like Banff and Canmore. Ditches and rock piles are more likely, unless he found a gravel pit or disposal site that no one would suspect.

I still think dumping them would be risky, since it's summer and there's so much outdoor activity right now. For some reason I feel like he either buried them or threw them in a body of water but weighted them down first.

There are several gravel pits in and around the city of Calgary.
What have police learned from his movements in and around Calgary ... I know ... wait for trial

[modsnip]

I still think dumping them would be risky, since it's summer and there's so much outdoor activity right now. For some reason I feel like he either buried them or threw them in a body of water but weighted them down first.

The bodies were removed from the crime scene in Parkhill. The fact that he might have returned to that scene to hose down the sidewalk suggests that he will return to scene of the crime boldly believing that he will get away with it ... like having the same false identity in 2014 that he'd been convicted of stealing 15 year earlier.

Under water, dirt, or rocks, it doesn't really matter. The victims will be found. The hail storm has helped immensely in terms of clearing out the healthy crops.

The bodies were removed from the crime scene in Parkhill. The fact that he might have returned to that scene to hose down the sidewalk suggests that he will return to scene of the crime boldly believing that he will get away with it ... like having the same false identity in 2014 that he'd been convicted of stealing 15 year earlier.

Under water, dirt, or rocks, it doesn't really matter. The victims will be found. The hail storm has helped immensely in terms of clearing out the healthy crops.

I pray they will be found, but what if DG's knowledge of chemicals was at play here. Will there be anything to be found?

Also, he used to live in BC. I'm not at all suggesting that he drove to Vancouver or anything, but maybe he knows a spot on the way to BC.

Someone suggested in an earlier post a couple days ago that he could have dumped them off the edge of a cliff in Golden. This makes sense, I think.

I pray they will be found, but what if DG's knowledge of chemicals was at play here. Will there be anything to be found?

Also, he used to live in BC. I'm not at all suggesting that he drove to Vancouver or anything, but maybe he knows a spot on the way to BC.

Someone suggested in an earlier post a couple days ago that he could have dumped them off the edge of a cliff in Golden. This makes sense, I think.

As a teenager, and after being expelled from university for cheating, Garland monkeyed with chemicals at his parents property. He finished high school in 1978, was expelled from university in 1981, and wasn't it in 1982 that he was looking at meth labs and cheap money? When was he charged, when was he convicted, and was he released on bail when he went to BC and assumed a false identification? The false identify was from 1992-1999. What was Garland doing between 1981 and 1992?

Given the amount of chemicals that the family had in the house (per the green tarp), I'm wondering if the septic tank ever worked. I cannot believe that those chemicals were used by the parents to maintain the house ... so why were they in the house? What were all those chemicals used for?

I don't think that Garland was driving down the TransCanada highway in his 1993 truck dumping bodies off the side of the highway in the middle of the Roger's Pass.

Attachments

• CalgaryThreeBarrels - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreeBarrels - Copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 163

Bodies of water around the farm are sloughs where the water levels vary annually. I don't think that would be a smart place to hide a body. I would agree with the RCMP that the victims could be under rocks, or in a ditch, in a field, at a former high school party spot, in the most obvious spot ... where is that?

We still know very little about DG except for his criminal and education past, he is a loner, he lives with his parents, AFAIK he has never been married, no mention of an ex-girlfriend anywhere.

Where I live everyone who is single, and I mean everyone in their 40's-60's have an on-line dating profile. It seems to attract a lot of 'one date wonders' and people who can't do relationships, loners and strange types too. I have wondered if somewhere there is a woman or a number of women that has had coffee with or even 'hung out' with DG. He is not ugly, appears dignified and presentable.

Where I live everyone who is single, and I mean everyone in their 40's-60's have an on-line dating profile. It seems to attract a lot of 'one date wonders' and people who can't do relationships, loners and strange types too. I have wondered if somewhere there is a woman or a number of women that has had coffee with or even 'hung out' with DG. He is not ugly, appears dignified and presentable.

Yes, but are they still alive to talk about it?

I do not think they will be found unless he talks and tells LE where he put them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPParadise