Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid and is in every Home Depot in my area in gallon jugs(I checked).

Hydrofluoric acid is sold in auto parts stores as wheel cleaner and possibly hardware stores as it is used in glass etching. I don't think its possible to buy large quantities without someone being suspicious tho.

OOPS ... "bad eyesight" :biggrin:

I would delete my post but so many peeps caught me out, may as well leave it ;)

I side with you on this view to a degree; I believe that DG had an accomplice and have links that work with my niggling hunch. However, since I'm still learning the do's and don'ts of websleuths, I am going to write my full post (with links) and send it to admin/mod for approval. I was thinking of sending it to a reporter from a national paper covering the story but think that websleuths has more affect for the greater good.

My hunch actually comes down to non forced entry to the home, and would DG be that welcome considering AL's & DG's background? Who else would be welcome? Then after rereading news reports, two different statements occurred (or had different meanings) and I went sleuthing in a different direction. I must go to bed as I work early in the morning and will send the mods my post by 8:00pm MTN Time, Sunday.

Possibly related to AL's brother CL admittedly going to the L home when he had reportedly called and nobody at the L home answered?

It was said in an earlier post that some « garbage » was being burnt during the night and all day of the first week. I think it was from the Tuesday night to Wednesday. At the time, the green truck had not yet been identified. This information was not from the media but from a member here (from a third party).
As he most likely planned ahead, could he have buried something in a graveyard? There is a cemetery in Airdrie (33 Big Hill Way Airdrie) He also mentioned that sometimes he works after 9h… Could be to cover himself in case a neighbour may have seen something and reported it to LE. In the same line of thought, could he have gone to the neighbour’s (the night he was re-arrested) to get some information about what had been said to LE. It would be stupid, but maybe in desperation.

I'm just looking at maps and thinking that if I was looking to dispose of a body, McDonald Lake looks pretty good. It's an industrial area with what appears to be a refinery. It looks like a Northern Pike fishing spot.

When DG was arrested originally for the other offences, his lawyer spoke with reporters (paraphrasing here) that those were the only charges right now or something to that effect. I recall thinking at the time it was odd for him to say that but then thought maybe it wasn't. In light of his re-arrest, I wonder now if the lawyer was privy to information by LE that more charges would be laid in time pertaining to the missing family. If this is correct, when DG was released on bail, he definitely knew it was imminent a re-arrest and therefore it makes me wonder many thoughts. I tried finding that interview and maybe others may have better luck. If you can it was a very telling comment. I will keep looking as well.

I'm just looking at maps and thinking that if I was looking to dispose of a body, McDonald Lake looks pretty good. It's an industrial area with what appears to be a refinery. It looks like a Northern Pike fishing spot.

Would LE be on that or should you send a message to LE?

This is what I'm thinking.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...2!3m1!1s0x5373e1c7b9d0bec9:0x4a7a60f8f7a68330

Here is the aerial map of the home. The section I have zoomed in on is a mystery to me. Does anyone know what this white square patch is? If you zoom out DG's home is on the right, you can see the trees lining the driveway and all of the other stuff we have already seen.

If you follow two fields back you get to Rt 2 or Queen Elizabeth Highway which seems to me to be where he would have entered the fields.

ETA: If you put a pin on DG's house and then punch in the address for the Motel 6, 133 Gateway Drive NE , you will see he could have easily walked there in a few minutes time by walking.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/133...68330!2m2!1d-113.9665158!2d51.2996838!1m0!3e0

The distance is a lot farther than you think. It would take 3-4 hours minimum to reach that point if he walked from the motel.

It has some kind of grain on it because the LE was searching through grain in trucks at one point. There are also graineries on the acreage. So wheat is a good guess.

Plus after you harvest the wheat, you then bale up the straw, and in the photos (when you zoom in) all the little "dots" in the fields are probably large round bales.

The distance is a lot farther than you think. It would take 3-4 hours minimum to reach that point if he walked from the motel.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe one hour at the most if he was cutting across fields. I measured with the scale on the map and if cutting accross fields its like 3-4 km.

Ok so I guess more like an hour.

I have always had a niggling suspicion that there was an accomplice or at least an 'answer man'. (someone that specializes in cleaning up crime scenes). I also think it could be why the green truck kept circling the Liknes' street - as a lookout and a ride away from the scene for whoever else was involved.
Having said that, I doubt that anyone involved would have given DG a ride from the hotel...

Who is to say he didn't rent a car after his release, or his parent's car wasn't made available to him? We can only speculate.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe one hour at the most if he was cutting across fields. I measured with the scale on the map and if cutting accross fields its like 3-4 km.

Ok so I guess more like an hour.
Wholeheartedly agree bakerlady, Google Maps says it would take 44 minutes.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid and is in every Home Depot in my area in gallon jugs(I checked).

Hydrofluoric acid is sold in auto parts stores as wheel cleaner and possibly hardware stores as it is used in glass etching. I don't think its possible to buy large quantities without someone being suspicious tho.

Lye is readily available in hardware stores and farm supply stores as it is the most common thing used on animal carcasses.

In Breaking Bad Jesse is wearing a gas mask and rubber/plastic gear so I think it is realistic that DG could have done the same. I have a mas like that here from doing home renovations.

Here are some informative links. Not for those with weak stomachs tho....

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/02/12/hydrofluoric-acid-breaking-bad.htm

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/12/soluble_dilemma.html

While you may be able to obtain a diluted form of HF from an auto parts store, the concentrated form can only be ordered through authorized suppliers who will only sell to certified labs. That being said DG could have connections to a chemistry lab and the product could have been stolen. I am not saying that it could not have been done. Just saying that it would require a lot of safety precautions (and IIRC on Breaking Bad, they were splashing it around like it was vinegar. In addition it would take days and days to dissolve bodies, not the few hours like the show insinuates).

I agree with lye being readily available and but would need to be done at high heat and under pressure.

Ughh! Time for me to switch to another conversation!

While you may be able to obtain a diluted form of HF from an auto parts store, the concentrated form can only be ordered through authorized suppliers who will only sell to certified labs. That being said DG could have connections to a chemistry lab and the product could have been stolen. I am not saying that it could not have been done. Just saying that it would require a lot of safety precautions (and IIRC on Breaking Bad, they were splashing it around like it was vinegar. In addition it would take days and days to dissolve bodies, not the few hours like the show insinuates).

I agree with lye being readily available and but would need to be done at high heat and under pressure.

Ughh! Time for me to switch to another conversation!
If you have an acreage or farm. You'd be surprised what you can get at UFA ... bulk poison, all sorts of bulk chemicals, even explosives!

The idea of an accomplish doesn't seem likely to me. If there was one would DG not have talked by now. I cant imagine him taking the blame entirely if there was more than him involved and would LE not have said something by now. I thought I heard LE say he was the only one they were actively looking at. Anything is possible but I cant see DG taking the blame if he could get away with it. Add to that his suicide watch because he knows he was caught. Respectfully my own opinion...

Lots of posts to catch up on today!
I know AL was a big-ish guy - was that muscle or fat?
The reason I ask is because a close friend used to work at a crematorium. It's a very, very messy process if overweight people are cremated due to the fact that fat does not burn.
Had the bodies been burned, there would be more than just ashes left over. In a legit cremation, there are fat traps, and the bones/leftover substances are then ground into ashes.

i am still leaning towards the chemical cleanup aspect of things. I feel like his company could easily get access to this kind of stuff.

When DG was arrested originally for the other offences, his lawyer spoke with reporters (paraphrasing here) that those were the only charges right now or something to that effect. I recall thinking at the time it was odd for him to say that but then thought maybe it wasn't. In light of his re-arrest, I wonder now if the lawyer was privy to information by LE that more charges would be laid in time pertaining to the missing family. If this is correct, when DG was released on bail, he definitely knew it was imminent a re-arrest and therefore it makes me wonder many thoughts. I tried finding that interview and maybe others may have better luck. If you can it was a very telling comment. I will keep looking as well.

I remember seeing that live interview with the lawyer.. All I found was a written summary :

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1093611/calgary-court-grants-douglas-garland-bail/

I have always had a niggling suspicion that there was an accomplice or at least an 'answer man'. (someone that specializes in cleaning up crime scenes). I also think it could be why the green truck kept circling the Liknes' street - as a lookout and a ride away from the scene for whoever else was involved.
Having said that, I doubt that anyone involved would have given DG a ride from the hotel...

Who is to say he didn't rent a car after his release, or his parent's car wasn't made available to him? We can only speculate.

I agree. I think another person is involved somehow and i still have a strange feeling NO is still alive. Maybe just me being hopeful for the sweet little boy but stranger things have happened. JMO but definitely think DG isn't the only one involved.

I remember seeing that live interview with the lawyer.. All I found was a written summary :

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1093611/calgary-court-grants-douglas-garland-bail/

Thank you Sandfan, this is the one I was thinking of. Here is a snippit of the report: BBM

"Right now, all he’s in for is the identity theft and the credit-card charges and that’s all we’re dealing with right now,” said Ross, who had no comment on where his client would reside or any other details.

The wording has me thinking.....
Thanks for finding that Sandfan.

The idea of an accomplish doesn't seem likely to me. If there was one would DG not have talked by now. I cant imagine him taking the blame entirely if there was more than him involved and would LE not have said something by now. I thought I heard LE say he was the only one they were actively looking at. Anything is possible but I cant see DG taking the blame if he could get away with it. Add to that his suicide watch because he knows he was caught. Respectfully my own opinion...

True enough but if DG gives up an accomplice that admits he is in on it. DG will not say anything about another person working with him until he is charged because he feels as tho the cops have no bodies, they have nothing on him. LE also said that he is only a person of interest and they are hopeful to find these three alive, then 3 days later arrest DG for murder. They are hiding their cards until the exact moment to play them. Therefore, they would not say they are looking for others directly. They did comment awhile back that there were other leads they are looking at, then mentioned other 's and tried to back out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member