Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter says no one can verify where he was at all times on Dec. 13, the day Barry and Honey Sherman were last seen alive.

"No, no alibi," he told The Fifth Estate. He said after a Cocaine Anonymous meeting, he went home and fell asleep.

"Very easy for me to have left work at any time because I'm not on the clock. ... I could easily have driven over to [the Sherman home] and did the deed.

"I admit to that, but I didn't, I didn't, and that's why I'm not nervous."...”

Barry Sherman's cousin fails lie detector test over allegation of plot to kill Honey Sherman | CBC News

I have great respect for people who overcome prior addictions, whether it was a result of drugs or alcohol.

Those who I’ve personally crossed paths with who are successful in moving beyond addiction, aided by organizations such as CA or AA, acknowledge and regret the havoc they caused others during the “messed up” years.

Perhaps that’s because a sincere commitment to these types of self-help organizations involves deep soul searching, taking responsibility for having harmed others, attempting to make amends if the recipient is willing and admitting their wrongs.

KW is the exception, just through observation of his media interviews and words written on this forum. I don’t understand why his vetrol towards the Shermans is so sharp, even beyond their violent deaths by homicide.

Cocaine Anonymous - The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
Cocaine Anonymous World Services The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

Regarding staging, sending a message and BS's apparent interest in films, what might come to mind is the movie The Great Gatsby.
BS was found with undisturbed glasses still on his face, gems scattered outside and of course the swimming pool. imo, speculation, fwiw.rbbm

Barry and Honey Sherman: Duelling investigations, high drama and still no answers - Macleans.ca
"...Yet in criticizing the police for failing to identify the crime as a homicide at the outset, he described the staging of Barry Sherman’s body with new details about placement of his glasses: “Barry Sherman’s legs were outstretched with one crossed over the other in a passive manner, wearing his undisturbed eyeglasses..."
The Great Gatsby Painting by Alec Yates (United States) | Artmajeur
http://documents.jdsupra.com/796861b2-b4f8-4a28-ab8b-daf613d013e4.pdf
The other side of Barry Sherman
rbbm
" He had a long history of investing money with known fraudsters. His investments outside of Apotex were both extensive and, at times, perplexing—a list that includes money-losing gold mine, a now-bankrupt jewelry company that dealt in “loose diamonds,” and an investment in a yacht named The Great Gatsby that never existed."

Myrtle Wilson

Redirect Notice
The eyes of Dr T.J. Eckleburg

Best Analysis: Eyes of TJ Eckleburg in The Great Gatsby
"Money and Materialism. The billboard is there in the first place as an advertisement, and thus also reflects the huge capitalist influence in everyone's lives. The real reason that there is no moral or ethical underpinning to the lives of these characters is that their world is based on a greedy, money-based notion of success. Even the object that is the closest thing to a religious figure is in reality trying to compel those who see it to buy something and make someone else richer.

The Valley of Ashes. The billboard of the eyes of T.J. Eckleburg is located in the middle of what Nick calls “the valley of ashes” - the industrial section of Queens that connects the rich neighborhoods of the Eggs on Long Island and the similarly booming Manhattan. That the eyes watch over this neighborhood in particular is an indictment of the way those who can’t claw their way to the top get left behind in the lawless Wild East, shaming those passing through who are taking advantage of the hard work of the poor."

Last edited:
Who would the message be directed at? Barry is awfully high up every food chain.

My view is the killer aimed the message, if that was his intention, at LE and at the list of people he would have expected to be at the funeral.

Cat and mouse game with LE. With the mourners: horrific murders of innocent people in, what should have been, the safety of their own homes.

Barry lived a comfortable life which was afforded by his money. I do not see money as his motivator.

He had a great mind and loved using it. He wanted to make generics which really have made drugs more affordable for many people.

He did not care about cars, clothes, and whatever else lots of rich people love to accumulate.

I think he liked ideas and challenges . His choices may not have been the best. Perhaps there are other people he helped that made it.

Con men are good at what they do. Conning.

A billion is 1000 million. Barry had plenty of money to with which to experiment. Money which may be huge sums to us may not have meant much to him

Two points in this obituary that I missed. Apotex financially struggled in the beginning, and *Kerry Winter* feared BS was plotting to murder *him*. (Many alleged murder plots in this saga.)

Mr. Sherman and a friend, Joel Ulster, bought Empire for $250,000 and sold it in 1972 for around $2-million to ICN Pharmaceuticals, a U.S. company that was buying up generic producers. Mr. Sherman and Mr. Ulster went on to create Apotex, which was such a money-losing venture at first that Mr. Sherman's wife, Honey, urged him to close it "before he lost everything."

Kerry Winter, one of the orphaned boys, said in launching the lawsuit. "Barry's father died when he was young, and my dad took him under his wing and taught him the family business. It's disappointing that we're fighting this way now."

The legal fight turned ugly, with allegations flying that Mr. Sherman had plotted to kill Mr. Winter and that he used handouts to control the cousins.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...ionize-canadas-drug-industry/article37355332/

Two points in this obituary that I missed. Apotex financially struggled in the beginning, and *Kerry Winter* feared BS was plotting to murder *him*. (Many alleged murder plots in this saga.)

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...ionize-canadas-drug-industry/article37355332/

KW goes so far as to suggest the potential for Barry to have been a serial killer.

“Winter said: 'If Barry Sherman hadn't been an entrepreneur and a CEO he would have been a serial killer.' ....”
Canadian tycoon Barry Sherman 'killed wife then himself' | Daily Mail Online

I don’t think your interpretation is correct. I believe the “mr winter” that was to be the murder victim was kw’s father, not kw.
Apotex founder hits hard in legal family feud
Published October 26, 2007 Updated April 26, 2018
"In the deposition, he said the family dispute arose around 2002. Mr. Winter accused him of being "involved in some conspiracy to murder their father and deprive them of their inheritance in the 1960s."

Mr. Sherman said he was "totally flabbergasted at this untrue allegation."

In an affidavit, Mr. Winter denied making the murder allegation"

I wonder how, early on, KW knew he was suspected and feared by the Sherman children and has anything changed since then? Just a guess how he might’ve known - a restraining order. According to him the article below would’ve been written just prior to his first interview with TPS iirc....but if that were so how would he have known he was a suspect?

Feb, 2018
WARMINGTON: Cousin claiming Sherman deaths murder-suicide fails lie detector
“.....“I am a suspect,” he told me Thursday. “I have to watch what I say.”........

....Saying the billionaire couple adored each other, friends and family expressed pure disgust at Winter’s rantings. Some also expressed fear of him.

But contacting me directly, Winter, who lost a billion-dollar lawsuit against Sherman, said: “I don’t see any reason why the Sherman children should be afraid of me.”

He added that the children “have expressed this idea I am responsible for the demise of their parents” and that’s “all craziness.”

Said Winter: “I would never, ever bring harm to these children. I would never bring harm to anybody.”

Violence, he said, is not in his nature.

“I am a recovering addict, six years sober, buddy,” said Winter. “I believe in the Lord. I am not an evil person. I had nothing to do with Honey and Barry’s death.”....”

Last edited:
Was FD' A told how many people were questioned, why did he think he was number 127, (the last to be questioned) ? speculation.
January 27, 2018
WARMINGTON: Barry Sherman’s ex-biz partner knew ‘from day one’ couple was murdered
"Toronto Police have interviewed 127 people in the Sherman double murder investigation.

Frank D’Angelo thinks he was Number 127."

I think warmington just means that fd thought he was the latest one interviewed because the interview was the previous day. So warminton just in a figure of speech meant he was #127 (ie the latest). How warmington knew the number that had been interviewed I don’t know. But fd never said that he was #127.

I wonder how, early on, KW knew he was suspected and feared by the Sherman children and has anything changed since then? Just a guess how he might’ve known - a restraining order. According to him the article below would’ve been written just prior to his first interview with TPS iirc....but if that were so how would he have known he was a suspect.

Misty, I think planet earth regarded KW a viable suspect before he went public. Just before the murders, he suffered a devastating loss in the decade long law suit against BS, and just days (6?) before the murders, the court also ruled that they were to pay BS's $300,000 legal fees. All of this was widely reported in the media.

That is Why KW knew he was a suspect. It was logical to believe that he had the motive.

ETA add last sentence.

Last edited:
Misty, I think planet earth regarded KW a viable suspect before he went public. Just before the murders, he suffered a devastating loss in the decade long law suit against BS, and just days (6?) before the murders, the court also ruled that they were to pay BS's $300,000 legal fees. All of this was widely reported in the media.

That is Why KW knew he was a suspect. It was logical to believe that he had the motive.

ETA add last sentence.

So you think KW was just speculating that the Sherman friends and family were fearful of him? Coincidence or not, a few months later the estate files were sealed by the judge for that same reason:

“.....and to protect the heirs from possible violence from the couple’s unknown killer or killers.

“The willingness of the perpetrator(s) of the crimes to resort to extreme violence to pursue whatever motive existed has been amply demonstrated. The risk of harm is foreseeable and the foreseeable harm is grave,” wrote Ontario Superior Court Judge Sean Dunphy in a highly unusual sealing order....”

Judge seals estate files of murder victims Barry and Honey Sherman to protect heirs

So you think KW was just speculating that the Sherman friends and family were fearful of him? Coincidence or not, a few months later the estate files were sealed by the judge for that same reason:

“.....and to protect the heirs from possible violence from the couple’s unknown killer or killers.

“The willingness of the perpetrator(s) of the crimes to resort to extreme violence to pursue whatever motive existed has been amply demonstrated. The risk of harm is foreseeable and the foreseeable harm is grave,” wrote Ontario Superior Court Judge Sean Dunphy in a highly unusual sealing order....”

Judge seals estate files of murder victims Barry and Honey Sherman to protect heirs

I'm just saying that I think KW would know that many people considered him a likely suspect from the beginning, for obvious reasons. He could have heard about comments made from friends of the family, or he was just speculating. He has changed his claim that LE told him he was a suspect to saying LE never considered him a suspect, so it's hard to know when he is stating fact or embellishing.

I can understand why the judge sealed the estate files in an effort to protect the Sherman heirs, due to the extreme violence used against BS and HS. The judge thought it was wise to do so, whether the family was afraid of KW or an unknown killer imo.

I'm just saying that I think KW would know that many people considered him a likely suspect from the beginning, for obvious reasons. He could have heard about comments made from friends of the family, or he was just speculating. He has changed his claim that LE told him he was a suspect to saying LE never considered him a suspect, so it's hard to know when he is stating fact or embellishing.

I can understand why the judge sealed the estate files in an effort to protect the Sherman heirs, due to the extreme violence used against BS and HS. The judge thought it was wise to do so, whether the family was afraid of KW or an unknown killer imo.

Yes that could be so.

I often think of how difficult it must be for those close to the Shermans in dealing with this sudden and unsolved tragedy, how sensationalistic the way their deaths initially unfolded in the media and then later, how the public emphasis has been mainly focused on various aspects pertaining to their wealth, sometimes almost to the point of portraying the victims as the villains. I can’t think of another case quite like it in Canada.

I hope that at some point in time the family and close friends and associates of Barry and Honey Sherman will feel comfortable in sharing their own personal perspective by offering a glimpse into the lives of the couple, to remove the misperception that legacies are only measured in dollars and cents.

I hope that at some point in time the family and close friends and associates of Barry and Honey Sherman will feel comfortable in sharing their own personal perspective by offering a glimpse into the lives of the couple, to remove the misperception that legacies are only measured in dollars and cents.

If I could double-like this, I would. While I can't say I knew HS, some years ago I had contact with her during a number of meetings related to the Shermans' philanthropy. Although she was for sure outspoken, she was also warm, gracious, and, for someone so well-known and wealthy, very down-to-earth. A lot of the things said or implied both here and in other places were in no way characteristic of the person I met.

Published on Jan 21, 2019
It's been just over a year since the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Christie Blatchford takes a look at the parallel investigations of the police and investigators hired by the Sherman family, and what that means for the justice system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay