Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh still no Chase. :( Continuing prayers for the little one and his family.

I think the emergency vehicles were moved to an area behind the house because they think he is in the creek. Maybe the dogs followed his scent to that area.

@LoriMcA, Thanks for your insights on farm life. I agree with you, it is normal for children on a farm to be allowed to play outside unsupervised. It's just what they do. It's hard to remember when my two started playing outside without an adult. I think it was when they were about 5 and 6 years old. Before that they didn't really want to be outside without us and simply preferred to be wherever the adults were.

We also had a fenced area that I could see from the kitchen with their play equipment. The reason we put up the fence was to keep the goats off their play things and not necessarily to keep the children confined. Funny how much different our view is compared to people living in more developed areas. However, I can't imagine letting a 2 year old play outside unsupervised. Or, a 2 year old even wanting to play outside alone.

I am very familiar with the area and have a cottage 30 minutes north of Austin . I will be driving by today .

Here are links to our local news. I did not know there was a thread here or would have posted earlier. The area is flat prairie with lots of wide open fields and not a lot of places to disappear , no mountains or canyons etc . And yes it still gets cold at night. Doubt a child could survive.

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2016/03/23/search-on-for-missing-tot

http://www.portageonline.com/local/48366-chase-martens-search-continues

I am sad that Chase hasn't been found. I really thought he would by now, by just looking at the area. I think sometimes people feel safe, And I see a lot of parents let their guards down because nothing has every happen before. But a toddler needs supervision. Anything can happen. I don't like to be negative, or always fearing the worse. I can think of a handful of things that can happen to a toddler outside, and not just wandering off.

My kids are older, 8 and 11. My dog goes outside with them and I know she will bark with anything coming in the yard. She doesn't go far from them. I guess I just think that Chases dog would of followed, or acted strange. I wonder if like another has expressed if maybe there is some old well somewhere on the property.

Chase had been in the yard with his dad, who had been loading his truck. Father and son went for a ride to the store and returned.

The father dressed Chase in his boots, splash pants, hat and mitts, and the boy went outside as his dad went inside. The girls were inside watching TV.

Ok,this doesn't make sense to me.Would he not have already had his winter clothes on to go to the store.It says that before the store,he was outside with his father,while he loaded a truck.

Chase had been in the yard with his dad, who had been loading his truck. Father and son went for a ride to the store and returned.

The father dressed Chase in his boots, splash pants, hat and mitts, and the boy went outside as his dad went inside. The girls were inside watching TV.

Ok,this doesn't make sense to me.Would he not have already had his winter clothes on to go to the store.It says that before the store,he was outside with his father,while he loaded a truck.

This struck me as odd when I read it as well. I pray this sweet boy is found soon. The element are not working in his favour. :facepalm:

"Chase had been in the yard with his dad, who had been loading his truck. Father and son went for a ride to the store and returned.

The father dressed Chase in his boots, splash pants, hat and mitts, and the boy went outside as his dad went inside. The girls were inside watching TV."

I have exactly zero frame of reference for how cold 0 degrees is, much less -10 degrees. I've never been in temps lower than 19 degrees, and that was only once in my life. Is it so cold that the clothes he was dressed in to go to the store would not be warm enough to play in? I cannot even imagine... and 2 nights out in this type of cold? Poor baby! I hope he is found soon!

I don't think he could have survived in those temps. I think the only chance of him being found alive is if someone snatched him. Is that possible? Could a friend of the family have paid a visit and found Chase playing unsupervised, and taken off with him?

"chase had been in the yard with his dad, who had been loading his truck. father and son went for a ride to the store and returned.

the father dressed chase in his boots, splash pants, hat and mitts, and the boy went outside as his dad went inside. the girls were inside watching tv."

i have exactly zero frame of reference for how cold 0 degrees is, much less -10 degrees. I've never been in temps lower than 19 degrees, and that was only once in my life. Is it so cold that the clothes he was dressed in to go to the store would not be warm enough to play in? I cannot even imagine... And 2 nights out in this type of cold? Poor baby! I hope he is found soon!

-10c = 14f

I don't think he could have survived in those temps. I think the only chance of him being found alive is if someone snatched him. Is that possible? Could a friend of the family have paid a visit and found Chase playing unsupervised, and taken off with him?

Apparently, according to the mother, he plays alone unsupervised all the time. I really hope someone hadnt been taking note of this and took him.

It's possible he was wearing pants and running shoes. He was dressed to be in a vehicle and not to be out playing
At times, even at -15 I won't wear a jacket or winter boots when using the car. But that's just me.

All MOO!

RCMP Manitoba ‏@rcmpmb · 19m19 minutes ago
Media: Sgt. Paquet #rcmpmb spokesperson will provide update on search for Chase MARTENS at location at 11:00 am.

I thought that was a bit odd as well ...... on the other hand it would make sense for the dad to put "splash pants" on the boy before he went back outside

This time of the year the snow has melted , plenty of mud around , so a waterproof type of clothing is used compared to what a child would have worn to go to town

It is completely normal for children to play in rural farm yards , it is very safe , and typically let the kid out to play for 15 minutes , glance out the kitchen window once in a while , and then call him in for supper.

Child abductions are extremely rare in this area , as a matter of fact I have never heard of even one , but there is a bit of non-local traffic goes by on the road so we have to allow for that possibility

Was hoping to come on this morning and read 'found safe!' :(

Something I do have to make mention of....One thing about Manitobans in general....they sure do come together when help is needed...without hesitation...people drop what they are doing and just get at it....

There were upwards of 300-400 people out yesterday....locals are saying more like 600....the colonies have their people there...the ladies also serving up food & beverages and hymns....
The Hutterite families...gotta say....are always there in time of need.....they'll bring water for putting out fires....man power galore...food...comfort....blankets...anything they have they pretty much GIVE.....no question....
Anyways...even in tragedy or worry.....it restores my faith in humanity just that little bit ya know?
Prayers and super good vibes today for Chase ...his family and all the people out there today putting their hands & hearts into this search!

It's possible he was wearing pants and running shoes. He was dressed to be in a vehicle and not to be out playing
At times, even at -15 I won't wear a jacket or winter boots when using the car. But that's just me.

All MOO!

The description (I read on a post upthread) says Chase was also wearing a blue jacket.

Any chance Chase went back into the house unnoticed, it would not be the first time a lost child was found somewhere
in the house.

Yes , but when official searching begins it is typical to check every part of the house , cupboards , basements etc (kid could have fallen) (unconscious and quiet)

Next they check every outside building , inside vehicles , under vehicles and equipment , inside dog houses etc. In the situation at the Chase home there does not appear to be any typical farm buildings or equipment , it is mostly a rural home in farm country .

The biggest surprises in these cases is how far a 2 year old can travel .

RCMP Manitoba ‏@rcmpmb · 19m19 minutes ago
Media: Sgt. Paquet #rcmpmb spokesperson will provide update on search for Chase MARTENS at location at 11:00 am.

Well, unless I'm reading this wrong, it doesn't sound good. Is there a live link for this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeaimee
Back