Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, unless I'm reading this wrong, it doesn't sound good. Is there a live link for this?

I wouldn't read too much into it.

They provided a couple of updates yesterday as well, including one at 11:30 am. It's a good time because it allows time for police to give volunteers instructions to start with the search for the day and time for the big news orgs to get in from the city, and then there is fresh news for them to report at the noon newscasts to keep the search in everyone's mind.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

They provided a couple of updates yesterday as well, including one at 11:30 am. It's a good time because it allows time for police to give volunteers instructions to start with the search for the day and time for the big news orgs to get in from the city, and then there is fresh news for them to report at the noon newscasts to keep the search in everyone's mind.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I always get a sense of dread when there's a new conference.

Chase had been in the yard with his dad, who had been loading his truck. Father and son went for a ride to the store and returned.

The father dressed Chase in his boots, splash pants, hat and mitts, and the boy went outside as his dad went inside. The girls were inside watching TV.

Ok,this doesn't make sense to me.Would he not have already had his winter clothes on to go to the store.It says that before the store,he was outside with his father,while he loaded a truck.
With car seats you're not supposed to have puffy coats and such on because it makes the straps too loose for safety. With our kiddo, she doesn't wear much and gets in a warmed truck with a blanket over her car seat, so if she were to go play outside afterwards she'd have to get her winter gear on after retuning. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks to those that are local for posting your insights on the area! Arnie, Lori, and anybody I missed. :)

I have created a map of the area with the Command Center marked, based on this article: https://uicnews.com/2016/03/24/search-continues-for-missing-2-year-old-boy-in-manitoba/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2VLvG6QAl8U.kByH12Y5yG9g&usp=sharing

(Notice the creek near the property and the three grain silos that were shown in the media of the press conference.)

Thanks for the map Claire! I can't see a press conference link on that uic page...if you have one that would be super awesome to see....I'll keep looking in the meantime!

As far as I know...the command center is at the farm yard ....The farm yard is almost exactly 1 mile west off 34...on Rd 72....

Here is an article with the aerial shot of the yard and their drive...which goes north to Rd 72....they are quite near the bush that is north of the creek....
http://www.portageonline.com/local/48366-chase-martens-search-continues

& here is the yard area circled on the map....the driveway shown in the above article is not completely inside this circle....their lane goes right up to Road 72 ...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Chase1a.png
    Chase1a.png
    901.2 KB · Views: 257
Presser says they're getting an underwater recovery team out and ground searches have covered the area.

Oh still no Chase. :( Continuing prayers for the little one and his family.

I think the emergency vehicles were moved to an area behind the house because they think he is in the creek. Maybe the dogs followed his scent to that area.

@LoriMcA, Thanks for your insights on farm life. I agree with you, it is normal for children on a farm to be allowed to play outside unsupervised. It's just what they do. It's hard to remember when my two started playing outside without an adult. I think it was when they were about 5 and 6 years old. Before that they didn't really want to be outside without us and simply preferred to be wherever the adults were.

We also had a fenced area that I could see from the kitchen with their play equipment. The reason we put up the fence was to keep the goats off their play things and not necessarily to keep the children confined. Funny how much different our view is compared to people living in more developed areas. However, I can't imagine letting a 2 year old play outside unsupervised. Or, a 2 year old even wanting to play outside alone.

bbm

Hmmm, good point, ClaireNC -- I hadn't really thought much about a 2 y/o playing outside the house by himself until you posted it above -- I certainly didn't let our son outside alone when he was two, and he wouldn't have stayed out there more than a minute or two, I'm sure. He, at two, wanted to be right where we were, all the time.

Hmmm. And I can't see him wandering off, at that age, and getting lost. There are all kinds, however, and we do not live on farm. IMO, most 2 y/olds just don't play for long by themselves. Now I've got a bad feeling in my gut -- I have had a bit of it all along, but now it's getting worse.

Please be in a safe place, little Chase. May you be found safe, happy & soon. :(

Updates for those who couldn't watch:
- overnight search continued w/ trained searchers, looked in high probability areas;
- today search expands from 1.5 km to about 3.5 km radius, including water, river, creeks, ponds that will be searched;
- underwater recovery team from RCMP will be deployed today;
- most of the searchers returned from yesterday;
- want to thank people - social media has been great asking for info re Chase;
- over 15 fire depts, military, Hutterites, dog teams, other groups - over 500 searchers involved yesterday;
- want to thank communities for their support, people not here can keep Chase in their thoughts;
- the search continues as it was yesterday;
- no report of clothing found;
- have to keep in mind timeframe - over a day and a half in challenging conditions - while they remain hopeful they have to keep in mind the conditions;
- most of the areas have been searched, the bodies of water haven't - that's why the RCMP underwater search team is here;

"We started close to the residence where he was last seen yesterday. That search is expanding, I'm not sure at this point where that search is. Our only priority is to find Chase, and our search will expand as is required."

Organizers of the search began turning away additional volunteers before noon, believing any more would make their efforts ineffective. However, many continued their own searches around the property, submitting photos to those at the command centre. While they don't need additional bodies, Paquet explained they still need any and all information, as no news tip is "to small" to report to police.

I know they can't risk volunteers lives, but from what we learned with Noah Chamberlin, should there be an outer ring search being conducted at the same time that the search expands outward from the house? Couldn't the volunteers that are being turned away be sent to the outskirts to move inward?

The underwater recovery team concerns me.
Thanks for the link to the presser. While I run the a/c and wear shorts, y'all still have very cold weather and snow.
194626f4bd3374a62062cff877850e9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The underwater recovery team concerns me.
Thanks for the link to the presser. While I run the a/c and wear shorts, y'all still have very cold weather and snow.
194626f4bd3374a62062cff877850e9e.jpg

Me too... Going to be 80 degrees here today.

Thanks for the map Claire! I can't see a press conference link on that uic page...if you have one that would be super awesome to see....I'll keep looking in the meantime!

As far as I know...the command center is at the farm yard ....The farm yard is almost exactly 1 mile west off 34...on Rd 72....

Here is an article with the aerial shot of the yard and their drive...which goes north to Rd 72....they are quite near the bush that is north of the creek....

& here is the yard area circled on the map....the driveway shown in the above article is not completely inside this circle....their lane goes right up to Road 72 ...
attachment.php

Thank you! I adjusted the map. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2VLvG6QAl8U.kByH12Y5yG9g&usp=sharing

A little more info:
- Foul play not ruled out, but it's not the focus of their investigation;
- Focus is on locating Chase;
- Family is distraught;
- Believes they have sufficient volunteers, will be providing updated info on this as they move forward;
- Amber alert has not been considered;
- The search has so far seen mixed farm area and bush - today is very focused on water terrain;
- Asking people to keep Chase in their thoughts - also plea for information;
- Long term plan for the search is too early to say - it's a dynamic situation;
- Hoping to answer the main question "where is Chase";

I'm at work and couldn't listen to presser. Was it mentioned if a scent was picked up by K9'?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeaimee
Back