Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Arnie M - I was about to post and ask you about the other pix you posted of the creek (which seemed a biggish river to me) so these pix are very welcome.
Is this creek frozen with ice on top or is the water moving?
What's more enticing for a little child than water, slipping on ice, he could have rolled down the bank, possible he sank into reeds?
IDK, poor little mite.

Here is the creek , worst possible conditions .... steep bank (for a child) , some ice , some water and some current to float things away

Hard for divers because the water is not deep enough for them to go under the ice , and often the ice cannot be moved because it is attached (frozen) to debris and tree roots and twigs .

And the worst part is the boy has likely played (safely) on that same ice a few weeks earlier before spring melt. During the winter it would not be considered a dangerous place to play.

Attachments

• chase martens creek ice.JPG
    chase martens creek ice.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 92
Since Chase was wearing boots that light up when he walks, they sound like some I've seen that lace up and tie. They would not come off. IMO

We have regular winter boots with velcro that light up. If he's like my kids, they don't necessarily tighten the velcro everytime they are put on and taken off. Unless momma does it😉

Here is the creek , worst possible conditions .... steep bank (for a child) , some ice , some water and some current to float things away

Hard for divers because the water is not deep enough for them to go under the ice , and often the ice cannot be moved because it is attached (frozen) to debris and tree roots and twigs .

And the worst part is the boy has likely played (safely) on that same ice a few weeks earlier before spring melt. During the winter it would not be considered a dangerous place to play.

Thanks. As you have been there I have to ask - is there a reason the searches are being concentrated (from what I read) on the land and not the water?

This tractor Chase liked to sit on, is it in the opposite direction from the track to the creek?
Just trying to get bearings.

Thanks. As you have been there I have to ask - is there a reason the searches are being concentrated (from what I read) on the land and not the water?

This tractor Chase liked to sit on, is it in the opposite direction from the track to the creek?
Searches by public volunteers are often conducted in the "easy" areas such as flat landscape.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Yes!! THIS 100 times over. They actually came to this conclusion after Noah Chamberlin and indicated they would do this in the future. But this is Canada, not the USA. I wish they could call in the team that was there in Tennessee to learn from what they went through.

I agree - According to David Paulides' research (Missing 411 series of books), he recommends starting to search further out and moving in - that officials in charge of these type of searches often miscalculate how far a determined 2-year old can walk/run in a given period of time. IMO they should have started 3 kms out on the first day and then searched moving towards the house. Also, I would be following the bushily/creek southwest towards Firdale. Another thing - they should be researching the fields and areas they have already searched as oftentimes these missing children will be found (alive or deceased) in areas that have already been searched.

Thanks so much, Arnie! This is helpful, but gives me a bad feeling. I'm sorry if this has been asked, I read through the thread, but I may have missed it. How deep is the creek? Are there areas where it's much deeper than others?

My guess was that the tractor was on the northwest corner of the house. The driveway appears to be on the west side. The mom said she saw him walking toward the tractor, and then her first instinct when she couldn't find him was to walk up the laneway toward the main road - NOT to walk toward the creek.

My guess was that the tractor was on the northwest corner of the house. The driveway appears to be on the west side. The mom said she saw him walking toward the tractor, and then her first instinct when she couldn't find him was to walk up the laneway toward the main road - NOT to walk toward the creek.

The boy was heading around the side of the house, and Turner thought he was going to hop on a tractor parked outside the home, as he liked to do. When the parents went outside to call Chase to come in for supper, there was no response.

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-n...451.html?thx=y

I don't think (only from what I've read) his mum saw him go towards the tractor, so it does leave open the question of which direction he was going.

I see they are walking some of the ditches now . You can tell how tall the bulrushes are .... cant even see the legs on the fireman on the left and he is not even in the tallest weeds yet.

Attachments

• chase martens ditch bulrushes.jpg
    chase martens ditch bulrushes.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 87
I wonder how far his light up boots were visible? I guess if a 2 year old can move up to a mile a minute (I just read that somewhere) then he'd be way too far away. I wonder if they flashed a certain color, or just white light?

The red hat not being found bothers me. However, it occurred to me it could be the kind that ties underneath the chin? That seemingly would keep it attached but if it was snagged by debris in the creek it maybe could've come all the way off. So where is it? It would sure provide a critical clue based on where it was found had it come off.

This is just so so sad. :(

I lived in Manitoba for 15 years - my late husband and I owned a 110 acre farm on a river for 10 of those years. My farm was located about 1 hour east of Winnipeg - probably 2 hours east of where this location is. At this time of the year, the snow is melting (earlier than normal due to the warm winter) and the creeks/streams are a combination of col rushing water and ice. It is a tough area to search because there are lots of places where the grass is high, even in the winter, and in the bush (wooded areas) there are lots of fallen trees and tall grass/plants. Chase is small, and if something tragic happened to him it would be tough to find him, even with lots of searchers.

Normally, if a dog is present the dog will bark if anyone drives by a rural property or is driving up the property. Our dog/s would bark anytime someone came walking along the gravel road on the west side of the property - and our driveway was 1/8th of a mile long! I am not sure what type of dog Chases' parents have - but it should have barked if any strange person came on the property. That's why I think, initially, that Chase wandered off - or was drawn away by something the dog was unaware of.

Regarding the time -

6 pm is widely being used as the time of last being seen. This is not correct.

The fire department recorded the call coming in at 6 pm.

Backtrack that to Destiny calling her SISTER because she couldn't find Chase (sister tells her to call fire dept)

Backtrack to Destiny last seeing Chase, 15 minutes later searching, then going in and calling her sister.

This backtracks the timeline closer to him last being seen between 5:15 and 5:30, reasonably. If the facts as reported are correct.

What time did Tom take Chase to the store?

Video evidence of that trip?

Why did Tom put all those clothes on Chase to go play outside AFTER they got home? Did he gave the same clothes on to go to the store? If so, why were they taken off when they got home? Time?

I love the logic of your timeline.

Yes , some stores/gas stations in the town to the north have cameras. Police will be checking those things out and confirming them .

In cases like this there are always two possibilities . 1. The child wandered away from his yard 2. Something else happened.

The main focus is always geared toward #1 unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

I wonder how far his light up boots were visible? I guess if a 2 year old can move up to a mile a minute (I just read that somewhere) then he'd be way too far away. I wonder if they flashed a certain color, or just white light?

The red hat not being found bothers me. However, it occurred to me it could be the kind that ties underneath the chin? That seemingly would keep it attached but if it was snagged by debris in the creek it maybe could've come all the way off. So where is it? It would sure provide a critical clue based on where it was found had it come off.

This is just so so sad. :(

I don't think anyone can walk/run a mile in a minute. The current world record is around 3:43.

I agree the most likely direction he went was the creek .... and it has been confirmed he went there many times with the father so he would know the way. Kids are drawn like a magnet to water and the creek has a sharp drop off on the edge of the bank.

On Friday I took a picture of this deep ditch which is less than half a mile north of the farm yard. What I found interesting was how many hiding places in the tall bulrushes yet it did not look as though it had been searched , not one single footprint in the mud nor one single blade of grass trampled down . The scale of the car on the road gives an idea how deep the ditch is.

But out in the cultivated open fields where there is no way a child could go unseen is trampled down like a heard of elephants went through.

Wow. It bothers me that the ditches weren't checked. :(

Me too! After seeing those pictures from Arnie, that seems like a very possible place for a wee one to get tangled in or hide in when scared, IMO.

I think searchers are looking in ditches but I don't know if they've been in the one Arnie M photographed. I can't believe it's nearly 96 hours now. :(

[video=twitter;713764837440892930]https://twitter.com/RileyLaychuk/status/713764837440892930[/video]

He's been found - deceased.
[video=twitter;713814561434918912]https://twitter.com/rcmpmb/status/713814561434918912[/video]

[video=twitter;713816287047131136]https://twitter.com/rcmpmb/status/713816287047131136[/video]
RCMP Manitoba ✔ ‎@rcmpmb
Media: Sgt. Paquet, #rcmpmb spokesperson, will be at location and provide an update at 5:30 p.m.

:tears:

Oh no, poor baby and parents....prayers to this family. So horribly sad.

Oh God. That's very sad. Was hoping he would make it home safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back