Found Deceased Canada - Genevieve Cormier, 19, St John, NB, 29 Sept 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
InquisitiveKat, welcome to WS and I'm sorry it's under these circumstances. We all hope for justice for your family and especially for your sister.

Trust me, we (her family) are not going to let this rest... we will find out what happened and we will not let the police dismiss us.

Welcome Inquisitive Kat-so glad you are here and that your family won't let this rest.So if no foul play or suicide then accident? Does the family agree with this? I was aware of the over-the -shoulder-bag Genna was wearing, was it across her body? This has bothered me because if not across her body then I believe it would have been lost. I am so glad that Genna was recovered she kept her promise she did return home.

Trust me, we (her family) are not going to let this rest... we will find out what happened and we will not let the police dismiss us.

Welcome to websleuths Katie! So sorry for your loss.Hopefully we can all put our heads together and come up with something.Your input in so important and thanks for sharing these details with us !:seeya:

Hello, I should introduce myself. I am Katie, Genevieve's sister.

To answer a couple of questions right off, before I respond to individual posts a little more in depth, we (her family) absolutely do not believe Genna killed herself. We have no reason to believe that, nor do the police. In fact, police have told us they have no reason to suspect either foul play or suicide, and that they are still treating this as a criminal investigation. We are still waiting on the full autopsy results, also (e.g. toxicology).

As to how she was identified, Genna still had her passport on her when she was discovered. Gen was wearing an over-the-shoulder bag, and the bag was still with her, with her passport inside (she had her passport because that is what she used as identification). She did have a tattoo (a blackbird, with "Take these broken wings and learn to fly") on her shoulder and a scarification tattoo (a peace sign carved into her calf), but we were not told if either of those were still identifiable... we were simply told she was in the water a long time.
Welcome to Websleuths, Inquisitive_Kat!

I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Regarding the bolded by me, I am so relieved to hear that. I read the comment on Facebook that you, as a family, did not believe it was suicide, but from the headlines, I didn't understand that the police shared your opinion.

It is very interesting that law enforcement do not suspect foul play or suicide. Honestly, that leaves me confused. All that leaves is accidental death, which I have a hard time with, too.

Thank you for sharing that Gen had her over the shoulder bag with her, and that it contained her passport.

Big hugs of support to you!

Welcome Inquisitive Kat-so glad you are here and that your family won't let this rest.So if no foul play or suicide then accident? Does the family agree with this? I was aware of the over-the -shoulder-bag Genna was wearing, was it across her body? This has bothered me because if not across her body then I believe it would have been lost. I am so glad that Genna was recovered she kept her promise she did return home.

We do believe an accident is possible... although our family believes it's unlikely and strongly suspects something bad happened to her... we just have nothing to give us any clues, so far. The police do seem to be leaning towards accidental, although they won't come right out and say so.
Yes, the bag was across her body... that is how she was so quickly and so easily identified.

Everyone, thank you all for the warm welcome and support. :heartbeat:

Welcome to Websleuths, Inquisitive_Kat!

I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Regarding the bolded by me, I am so relieved to hear that. I read the comment on Facebook that you, as a family, did not believe it was suicide, but from the headlines, I didn't understand that the police shared your opinion.

It is very interesting that law enforcement do not suspect foul play or suicide. Honestly, that leaves me confused. All that leaves is accidental death, which I have a hard time with, too.

Thank you for sharing that Gen had her over the shoulder bag with her, and that it contained her passport.

Big hugs of support to you!

Thank you for the warm welcome. :heartbeat:

Our family does believe an accident is possible, but we strongly suspect harm came her way... but police do seem to be leaning towards accidental, although they won't come right out and say so. Also, they won't say they do not suspect foul play, but they do say they have nothing to support that theory.

The lack of information is really difficult... and pretty much why we've been so quiet, on the Facebook site.

Hello Katie!

I am so glad to see you on here, speaking for your sweet sister :). I was screaming on the inside, over everything being speculated but I clammed right up. I know this was not suicide and I am very relieved to see you publicly say this.

:heartbeat: XOXO

To answer a couple of questions right off, before I respond to individual posts a little more in depth, we (her family) absolutely do not believe Genna killed herself. We have no reason to believe that, nor do the police. In fact, police have told us they have no reason to suspect either foul play or suicide, and that they are still treating this as a criminal investigation. We are still waiting on the full autopsy results, also (e.g. toxicology).

As to how she was identified, Genna still had her passport on her when she was discovered. Gen was wearing an over-the-shoulder bag, and the bag was still with her, with her passport inside (she had her passport because that is what she used as identification). She did have a tattoo (a blackbird, with "Take these broken wings and learn to fly") on her shoulder and a scarification tattoo (a peace sign carved into her calf), but we were not told if either of those were still identifiable... we were simply told she was in the water a long time.

Hello Katie!

I am so glad to see you on here, speaking for your sweet sister :). I was screaming on the inside, over everything being speculated but I clammed right up. I know this was not suicide and I am very relieved to see you publicly say this.

Welcome back bethmcneilly. I had thoughts that you must be holding alot inside. There is no way that I believe this was suicide either. This beautiful girl had too much to live for. and too much love in her heart to do this to her family. Hope we can find the truth.

Our family does believe an accident is possible, but we strongly suspect harm came her way... but police do seem to be leaning towards accidental, although they won't come right out and say so. Also, they won't say they do not suspect foul play, but they do say they have nothing to support that theory.

The lack of information is really difficult... and pretty much why we've been so quiet, on the Facebook site.

Inquisitive Kat.....would it be possible for you to make a list of things we do know and things that can be ruled out? Many heads are better than one and maybe a seemingly small detail ,could be seen differently through someone else's eyes( although I am sure your family has looked at everything over and over) Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

So very sorry for your loss and the grief you and your family is suffering through. It saddens me to know a beautiful life has ended much too soon. - Steve

Welcome Kat, I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful sister, my heart and prayers are with her often.

Thank you for clarifying what the police have told your family.

Here's something to read:

"One of the striking findings in the pres-
ent study was the absence of female cases under 30
years of age, contrasting with relatively high num-
bers of males between 20 and 39 years of age"

also

"Given their rarity, cases of apparent suicidal
drowning in young women therefore should un-
dergo very careful investigation before accidents or
homicides are excluded."

Characteristic Features of Suicidal Drownings A 20-Year Study
http://netk.net.au/Medical/Drowning1.pdf
Thank you for sharing this link, Mr. Steve! :)

There are some very, very interesting statistics contained therein.

BBM - I agree.

In my opinion, it sounds like law enforcement officials are being extremely vague and are talking in circles with their this, that, or the other theory.

I wonder what facts they are considering that makes them lean towards this being accidental, as I personally don't see too many that would support that.

Please don't ever feel pressured to answer my questions. They are not meant directly for you, but for anyone who wants to weigh in with their thoughts.

I appreciate your being here--just to read, or to share anything you wish to share. :)

Hello Katie!

It's nice to see you back, Beth!

I never believed for one second this was suicide, and I never will.

Inquisitive Kat.....would it be possible for you to make a list of things we do know and things that can be ruled out? Many heads are better than one and maybe a seemingly small detail ,could be seen differently through someone else's eyes( although I am sure your family has looked at everything over and over) Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Hope it's okay if I jump in.

If it would help, I could post our Websleuth's timeline, with supporting links.

That way we could all review it together, checking for anything we missed or anything new we might be able to add.

That way we could all review it together, checking for anything we missed or anything new we might be able to add.

Yes, please post the timeline, etc... would be helpful again...

With the new info that Gen was found with her backpack still on her (CMIIW) - my thoughts are it is possible it was an accident, but also thinking of the days when I used to commute by subway in NYC and there was as scare (at least one) of some nut on the loose who would push an unsuspecting person who was standing close to the edge of a platform onto the tracks in front of a train....

http://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-cant-stop-deaths-on-its-subway-tracks-2013-1

They never seem to label the nuts cases that do this as potential serial killers...
Could there be someone on the loose who's pushing women into the river?

That would really be appreciated Truth!Thanks for all your hard work on this case.!

Yes, please post the timeline, etc... would be helpful again...

Respectfully snipped by me because I want to respond to snipped portion in a separate comment. :)

That would really be appreciated Truth!Thanks for all your hard work on this case.!
Thank you both for showing interest in this. It's kind of rushed, but if any information is missing in my links; please feel free to give me a shout via a comment, and I'll search to find where I got the info from.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Early afternoon: Gen talked to her father in Calgary, Alberta by phone. He said she had a job interview Monday morning and was excited.

Late afternoon, early evening: Gen was at home as she cooked supper and cleaned up. Her mother last saw her Saturday night when she gave her bus fare to go uptown to hang out with friends, possibly in the King Street and Charlotte Street area. Gen kissed her good bye before she left.

Gen later told her mother that she probably wouldn’t be home Saturday night. (This was all perfectly normal and routine behavior. Gen did this a lot.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-john-high-school-student-continues-1.1875759

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/NB/ID/2410002099/

Sunday, September 29, 2013

At approximately 11:41 am: Gen is captured on video surveillance video at Brunswick Square.

At approximately 2:00 pm: Gen was at a friend’s house on Duke Street. See Gen's case map: http://goo.gl/maps/3ZcR6

At approximately 3:30 pm: Gen was with a friend, walking away from the Tim Horton’s on King Street. Gen told her friend she was tired, hungry, and heading home.

Sometime Sunday: Gen canceled an appointment to hang out with a friend saying she was heading home to do laundry and get some rest. She suggested they could maybe meet later.

At approximately 4:20 pm: Gen was sighted near Ocean Steel, Chesley Dr. (This location fits with her walking towards her home, but remains unconfirmed. Gen may have been photographed in this area, so possibly there is surveillance footage.)

At approximately 4:30 pm: City police confirm a sighting of Gen walking in the back parking lot of the reversing Falls/BoAz restaurant at around 4:30 pm. This is the beginning of a route often walked by Gen as she made her way to her home, and is the last confirmed sighting of her.

At approximately 6:00 pm: Gen’s mom sent her a text message, but Gen did not reply.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/NB/ID/2413891027/
http://www.saintjohn.ca/en/home/cit...wsroom/newsreleases/updatemissingperson1.aspx
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/NB/ID/2413891027/

Monday, September 30, 2013

Morning: Gen’s mom again sent a text message to Gen and also left a message asking Gen where she was on her Facebook page. Again there was no response. Gen’s mom became very concerned, and she and Gen’s step father began to contact Gen’s school and the daycare where she worked.

Gen’s mom phoned the police and reported her missing.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/NB/ID/2410002099/

October 3, 2013:

Police release grainy photos of Gen taken by surveillance video. One of the photos is time stamped the 29th at 11:41:08. It appears to be at the MacDonald’s kiosk in Brunswick Square.

The police had already spoken to the young man in the photo at the time of its release. It is not confirmed if this is Gen’s friend, Nick; or just someone standing with her.

http://www.saintjohn.ca/en/home/cit...on.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

November 3, 2013:

Respectfully and with great regret, Genevieve’s remains are found at Anthony’ Cove. She had her shoulder bag across her shoulders, and it contained her passport.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/genevieve-cormier-s-body-found-in-saint-john-1.2350256

Katie, Thank you for the update. I am hearteded to hear that the police are not dismissing this as a suicide. I am completely convinced that Genevieve did not intentially do anything to harm herself. I am so sorry for your family's loss. I know that you were hoping and praying for a different outcome. Know that many people from Saint John and beyond, myself included. were hoping that she would be found safely.

Please keep putting pressure on the police. Your family deserves to know the truth and if someone hurt your precious sister, Genevieve and your family deserve justice.

My thoughts and prayers are with you....keep us posted....Jan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back