CANADA - Lucas Fowler, Australian & Chynna Deese, American, murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently they have been training for war and camouflage

This morning Schmegelsky’s father Alan gave an emotional but revealing interview with a local news outlet in which he admitted to having gifted his son an Airsoft replica gun for Christmas at the boy’s request.

He said Bryer had told him he and Kam had been “training in war” in the woods for more than two years and were masters of camouflage.

“My son he’s like, they’re huge into video games — all kids are — and two Christmases ago he asked me for an Airsoft gun, which is a replica gun, right?” Mr Schmegelsky told CHEK News.

“So he was telling me: ‘well me and the fellas, we like to go in the woods and play war’ right?”

“So knowing that the both of them are totally into that, if there was any threat, they would have done what they’ve actually trained themselves to do and they would have camouflaged themselves in the woods.”

the dad thinks this happened instead

Fighting back tears, Mr Schmegelsky clarified his comments by saying he did not believe the teens killed anyone but had instead witnessed the unidentified man’s murder and fled in fear of their lives.

“All I can think of is that they were at the wrong place at the wrong time,” he said.

“They’re both kids, they not violent, they’re good people, never got in trouble or anything right? I’m thinking a murder was committed two kilometres away and somebody decided: ‘let’s take care of the witnesses’.

<modsnip>, “training” what an egotistical fantasy. Guarantee they wouldn’t know how to last on the run or in the woods for an extensive period of time. They’re amateurs. Police are and have been hot on their trail. “Masters of camouflage” who took the opportunity for free coffee in a busy store just days after (*allegedly*) killing 3 people, without altering their appearance? It’s almost humorous.

But as someone else had mentioned earlier, this gives me Harris and Klebold vibes. I think they’re going to die by their own hands, or die “by cop”. Kids this brazen and on such a spree aren’t planning on living after this JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I put down $50 (AU) on them taking another car. Standing round a station, or a pier....nooo. I cant see that happening.

They have to steal a particular kind of car, too. It's not as if they can just hive off any old jalopy, they have to put thought into it, and cars are, in general hard to steal with the electronic starters etc.. A particular set of circumstances has to be availiable and the smaller their area of where they can steal a vehicle , the less chance they have of that particular kind and availability to present itself.

The law of diminishing returns, made manifest. You steal a car to go off into the wilderness, then you are reliant on stealing other cars to continue the journey, yet, you have placed yourself where there are fewer and fewer cars available to steal.

Lol love how you stipulated the (AU). US dollars are wayyyyy too much haha. I agree re: the stealing a car. They must have another vehicle they are travelling in. Somehow I feel as though they don't have the skills to steal a car from hot wiring etc. Perhaps they carjacked? Or jumped into a briefly unattended car? (someone runs into service station to get a drink - they jump in and go). The third victim, I believe was a victim of carjacking. They killed him for his car to get away after killing the first two victims. Hopefully no more bodies mount up to fuel their travelling...

This link (with map) may help with questions regarding the Trans-Canada. It’s particularly important here as it relates to crossing from Manitoba into Ontario, as it’s the only way to do so. It gives a sense of how far from Ontario they really are in Gillam - about 15 hours to get to the Trans-Canada from there, somebody estimated.

Trans-Canada Highway - Wikipedia

Once in Ontario there is both a northern and southern Trans-Canada route.

A firearms safety course is around 200$ and around 300$ if both restricted and non restrictive courses are taken in Alberta. I am not sure about BC. There is also an exam that one must pass at the end of the course. Everyone seeking to possess firearms must take the restrictive course. It does take some time to get a permit.

The standard license is for rifles and shotguns, which is what I have. A restricted license for pistols takes an additional day of training and such guns can only be transported between your home and a range. As you say, there’s an exam at the end of the course. Then you have to apply, which also costs, and there’s a two month cooling off period before the permit issues. The permit is required to purchase a gun or ammunition.

It would be really odd for a teenager to go through all that and not tell family members, especially since I think that it would also require lying on the application about who you are living with.

This link (with map) may help with questions regarding the Trans-Canada. It’s particularly important here as it relates to crossing from Manitoba into Ontario, as it’s the only way to do so. It gives a sense of how far from Ontario they really are in Gillam - about 15 hours to get to the Trans-Canada from there, somebody estimated.

Fifteen hours sounds long to me. From where I lived I can get to the Manitoba/Ontario border driving straight through and only stopping for gas. I live in Alberta.

Police issued the public safety bulletin shortly after 4:30 p.m. CT on Tuesday.

RCMP say Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, "may be in Manitoba and are considered dangerous." Police believe they were recently in the area of Gillam, Man. — almost 750 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.

Police ask anyone who spots the pair to call 911 or local police immediately, but to avoid confronting the men.

[...]

A cashier at a Split Lake, Man., gas bar believes the suspects approached her till around 4 p.m. on Monday.

M K said McLeod paid for $20 of fuel and Schmegelsky asked if they could consume alcohol in the community, which is dry.

She said nothing seemed odd about their visit, until she saw the RCMP's updated suspect photos on Tuesday. She recognized McLeod by his beard and Schmegelsky for the camouflaged shirt he was reportedly wearing.

"The guy who paid for the gas — he was quiet, he didn't say anything, he was just looking down. They seemed like, I don't know, normal," Keeper said. "I'm just so nervous right now thinking about it."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/b-c-homicide-suspects-manitoba-1.5222542

ETA: Employee name changed to initials by me for privacy.
Bump for link to $20 at gas bar and no booze ....

Fifteen hours sounds long to me. From where I lived I can get to the Manitoba/Ontario border driving straight through and only stopping for gas. I live in Alberta.

I just asked Google and she said it was 13 hours and 14 minutes from Gillam to Kenora. :). So knock a little less than an hour off that to get just to the Ontario border.

Thanks for posting the link JuneBug. There is a northern and southern route, but they join as one highway for quite a piece. From your link, part way into the section about Ontario:

"The highway is the only road that connects eastern and western Canada. On January 10, 2016, the Nipigon River Bridge suffered a mechanical failure, closing the Trans-Canada Highway for 17 hours; the only alternative was to go around the south side of Lake Superior."

I'd like to know that trauma counselling has been provided to the families of the alleged perpetrators... perhaps it has. I guess that's not the kind of information that would be a high priority for media to seek and report on right now. It would just be good to know that the father we've seen in an interview (when he thought his son was a missing person), isn't battling it out alone right now.

For those who didn’t get a chance to watch The National (previously linked), a reporter said she followed up with the dad after they were named suspects and he said that he was heartbroken, and whichever way this turns out he feels like he will have lost his only child. Very sad.

As others have noted, a course is required along with references and some time to get a PAL (Possession & Acquisition Licence) which is required to *legally* purchase a gun or ammunition in Canada. That said, it’s not hard to get and many if not most people in remote areas have them.

Views on guns are a little different in remote areas than in the city. I grew up down south having never touched one. In far northern BC, the first RCMP member I met asked if I had a gun. I truthfully responded, “No.”

His response (exact quote, and he was in uniform at the time), “You should get one.” He was certainly referring to animals, not people (using a gun for self defence in Canada is a great way to land yourself in jail), but coming from the city, that surprised me.

These guys could easily have their PALs and legal firearms. But, contrary to what others have suggested, they could have just as easily—and maybe more easily—acquired them illegally. Yes in Canada. The reality is gun laws are no more effective than drug laws at keeping guns out of criminals and would-be criminals hands. Any kid in school in BC can get drugs if they want them. Same goes for guns and ammo. They just cost more on the black market.

Either way makes little difference to the case. Doing what they’re apparently doing, I expect they’d want hand guns. The licensing requires a specific permit for each trip (by the most direct route) from your home to a gun range (the only place you can use a hand gun legally in Canada, except occupationally) or gunsmith. Of course that doesn’t prevent them from taking it along without a permit whether they legally own it or not.

I hope they’re caught without any more casualties. This case deeply affects those who live up here—more unheard of than unusual. It’s no exaggeration to say everyone will stop to help if you’re stuck by the road in the North. Traveling home from Whitehorse in winter I noticed a car stuck in a snowbank going the other direction on the Alaska Highway. Two other cars were stopped and people were trying to dig it out. I turned around and came back to pull them out (carrying tow rope and driving a heavy 4x4). The lady was from down south and almost in tears saying, “I thought no one would stop. Everyone stopped!” Cell service is non-existent except in some towns, so we look out for each other.

Awww
For those who didn’t get a chance to watch The National (previously linked), a reporter said she followed up with the dad after they were named suspects and he said that he was heartbroken, and whichever way this turns out he feels like he will have lost his only child. Very sad.
I can’t even to begin to imagine what he is going through. I can’t imagine how I would feel if it were my son. I think I would completely loose it. This tragedy has affected so many families and other people as well.

<modsnip>“training” what an egotistical fantasy. Guarantee they wouldn’t know how to last on the run or in the woods for an extensive period of time. They’re amateurs. Police are and have been hot on their trail. “Masters of camouflage” who took the opportunity for free coffee in a busy store just days after (*allegedly*) killing 3 people, without altering their appearance? It’s almost humorous.

But as someone else had mentioned earlier, this gives me Harris and Klebold vibes. I think they’re going to die by their own hands, or die “by cop”. Kids this brazen and on such a spree aren’t planning on living after this JMO

Totally agree re: the "masters of camouflage" and "training for war". More like - they have played a bit too much PUBG and decided to "play for real" in the woods beleiving they were PUBG veterans.... (PUBG is a popular game on PC etc - battle royale style. Like Fornite but realistic).

Adding to my previous post, unless it’s been added very recently, there’s no cell service where Lucas and Chynna were murdered. Nor is there any going from Watson Lake down through and past Dease Lake to where the suspects’ burnt out truck was found. There is cell service in Watson Lake.

The reason locals immediately connected the incidents south of Dease Lake with the one near Liard Hot Springs is distance is relative and there aren’t many different ways/places to go up here. If you’re going anywhere beyond your own town up here you’re driving for hours. 400-500 km is not a long trip, and when we do head south, covering over 1000 km in a day is typical.

Last edited:
The image of Lucas and Chynna hugging keeps replaying in my mind. These two are just like me and my husband (who I also met in Croatia). They had no idea what was coming. It is soul-crushing and throughly sad - I wish all the support and love to their families.

I hope these two get extradited back to NC and put to death. I am worried BC won't keep them locked up long enough.

I understand the sentiment, but they won’t get a death sentence and they won’t be extradited. I do expect they’ll spend the rest of their lives in jail if they’re taken alive.
20 years probably if that....might be hard to prove 1st degree murder. And then mental health issues are in there too.

I understand the sentiment, but they won’t get a death sentence and they won’t be extradited. I do expect they’ll spend the rest of their lives in jail if they’re taken alive.

That's what concerns me though ... they have nothing to lose now. Three counts of 1st degree murder already and they get automatic life sentences, possible/likely multiple life sentences of 25 years; they can each be looking at up to 75 years each.

I strongly fear they will take more lives because they know they will never get out of jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamapple