Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, a classmate of BS told a reporter they had seen BS snorting Adderall off of a knife, or something like that... If that is true, and either of them had access to those meds and had maybe been stockpiling them, then perhaps they were taking massive doses of that, or another stimulant, on this trip. Would explain their ability to just keep driving on and on to cover huge distances, and might also have contributed to their (non-linear) erratic, impulsive, and dreadful actions...

It absolutely could have. My husband took Adderall in his 20s (legally prescribed and not abused) and he started having these overwhelming impulses to beat people up and start fights with people. And he's not a belligerent person at all in general. He didn't actually harm anyone of course, but he did have to stop taking it because these thoughts were scaring him. If they were wired off that it would actually explain a lot of their baffling decisions and that could have pushed them over the edge from having violent fantasies to acting on them.

Maybe I’m just getting too old, but I can’t seem to reach these kids, they seem so disconnected - almost to the point of disassociation, a weird flattening of affect, and I see again and again an unsettling kind of thousand yard stare.

Adderall and benzo abuse, and depression are very common among that generation, and could cause the symptoms you describe. JMO.

CBC News - https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1583914051800
An interview with the family spokesman for Bryer Schmegelsky his Great Uncle John McNabb gives a good interview

That makes it even sadder. It's easy to say "well that person was just evil" and throw them away, but few people are 100% good or 100% evil. If even a few things had gone differently none of this would have happened and maybe the scale would have been tipped and he would have ended up as a decent person in the end. Same goes for Kam.

I wish the families had come forward with a strong positive unified voice asking their sons to please turn themselves in and reassuring them that this could be sorted out. The messaging about books being written and parental conflict would have sent them running in the opposite direction.

I don't know. 18 and 19 years old is young and they did completely high school before doing this, so it seems that death may not have been their ultimate goal. There may have been a window of time to reach them and turn things around. No one tried, so we'll never know, but I think some effort should have been made. I understand that the families were probably first in disbelief, in shock, overwhelmed and many other things, but ...

Yes, what teenager would not be horrified by the bad parental press. How sad that the father assured the world that his son wouldn't be taken alive and would go out in a blaze of glory. The RCMP were kinder, stating that the suspects would be taken to hospital as soon as they were found.

I think you're forgetting that they weren't named as suspects until they were long gone in the muskeg. The "blaze of glory" statement and book statements were released at a time when they were either dead already or lost in the wilderness. It's doubtful they ever even heard any of those statements. But I agree there were probably missed opportunities to turn things around in their lives before they set out on this trip.

And you know what, I feel like his dad was just being brutally accurate. He did turn out to be wrong about the blaze of glory part, but was he wrong in the end about Bryer being dead "today or tomorrow"? Bryer was probably dead already when he made that statement.

@otto Most definitely in terms of the Mcleod family. Bryer's father and now his great uncle have spoke. I find it disturbing the Mcleods have not said a word, I also strongly feel Kam was the leader on all of this. It's easy to paint Bryer with a brush, however Kam was right there at his side through the years, Kam drove, Kam had the vehicle, Kam burnt his own vehicle (which I'm sure Dad bought or gave to him) - Kam's image is the one felt talking to Lucas/Chynna. I have a little personal resentment right now for the McLeod family staying so eerily silent and letting Bryer take the fall in media etc. I feel there is an unwritten Code of Silence from anyone connected to Kam's family. His parents are affluent, own a big business in Port Alberni, and when the Mayor warned the people not to talk about anything - that doesn't usually happen. Bryer may have 'talked big' but I am convinced the oh so quiet apparently polite and kind Kam was the lead man and Bryer his idolizing follower. I feel there is a whole huge amount of information on Kam that some in Port Alberni have worked really hard to try keep covered up.

I agree. If my son had killed (or was suspected of killing) the son of another as well as a lovely young woman and an older gentleman, I sure as heck would not be hiding out. At least Bryer's family came forward. Say what you will about the father, he IS mentally unwell. Bryer had no immediate family to guide him. He appeared to be a lost soul. Not so Kam.

Kam's family has no obligation to say anything to the world at large, and inevitably open themselves up to being trashed by the media. They're in shock and grieving. Also, they are not responsible for the decisions Kam made as an adult, IMO. They did release a statement originally though, saying they knew Kam as a kind person who always cared about other peoples' feelings.

I do agree he was probably the dominant one in their friendship. I talked about this a few days ago, but Bryer was likely very dependent on him because Kam had better social skills and more friends, a more stable home life, more money and resources, a driver's license, etc. But I think ultimately this was a mutual decision. I also doubt either of them would have ever killed without the other.

“At least one of the individuals seemed to be highly influenced by violent video games,” he said. “His father has spoken publicly about what he believed would happen — death, suicide, going out in a blaze of glory.

“That all goes to motive.”

The tougher problem, he said, will be determining why the suspects did what they did in the sequence they did.

It may also be difficult to determine why they ended up in Gillam, he said.

“Did they have some sort of a plan that flowed from a video game that they end up in northern Manitoba? What was the next step for them?”

You know what, people always roll their eyes when violent video games are blamed...but you can't tell me they don't sometimes negatively influence people who are already going in a bad direction. Like, ok, they're not a problem for most people who play them, but I think for some people they are, and Bryer was one of those people (probably Kam too).

I'm willing to venture 100% that they were not seen by the Bear Clan in York Landing. Search dogs were on sight within 20 minutes and they did not pick up any scent. The suspects were not in Gillam. They were at Split Lake to get gas, and then NE of Gillam to burn the vehicle.

Also, if cause of death and identification is taking more than a day, I'm guessing that decomposition is an issue.

Let me share some maps

This is just NE of Gillam, opposite side of the river to Gillam (and York Landing)

View attachment 197629

Here's the bigger picture

View attachment 197630
That is just too far of a distance and too much travelling on foot . It doesn’t make sense that they would travel that far only to come back and be found dead so close to where they started. If the bear claw members did see two young men it’s too bad that they didn’t come forward and say it was them to avoid further confusion and a waste of resources .

Im not so sure a great-uncle would have the most accurate information. JMO.
He could be the brother of the grandmother who Bryer lived with, and if so, he might have fairly accurate information in regard to Bryer having graduated from high school. MOO.

ETA to specify what kind of information the comment refers to.

Last edited:
I’m saying that the keys are much more likely to be relevant that this far fetched notion of a 3rd person.

Just wondering what evidence could be obtained from keys that have been in a fire. I understand that there were numerous propane cylinders inside the vehicle which exploded throwing stuff all around the vehicle. The heat would be extremely intense in such a situation. I think most things of evidentiary value burned by such a fire would have been destroyed.

End of the road for teenage Canadian serial killers: Coffins carrying the fugitives' remains are loaded into a police vehicle as footage emerges of the dense brush hide-out where they ate sardines, pork chops and oranges for their last meal

Megan Sheets For Dailymail.com
2 hrs ago
Footage shows the densely-wooded area that served as the suspects' final hide-out, where they ate a meal of sardines, pork chops and oranges before setting alight the car they had driven across five Canadian provinces with police hot on their heels.

The burned-out vehicle, a discarded sleeping bag, scraps of pork and orange peels and a marooned aluminum boat formed a trail of evidence that led authorities to the bodies.

They were able to narrow the search after local tour guide Clint Sawchuk spotted a blue sleeping bag tangled in some willows in the Nelson River last Friday. They found a wrecked aluminum boat on the shore the following day.
At a press conference Wednesday, officials said autopsy will be performed Thursday to confirm the identities of the deceased, along with when and how they died.

Local media speculated that the teens could have succumbed to the harsh terrain, where threats included water contamination, anaphylactic shock and dangerous predators ranging from bloodsucking flies to a variety of bears.

Whatever the circumstance, it likely wasn't a comfortable end for the teenage killers.
It's like they took all the facts, put them in a blender and posted it, so many errors...

Family spokesperson made first statement today, and cites police have told them nothing about LD's murder. I'm not certain family knows official cause of death. I'm assuming he was shot. MOO

My apologies to Dr Dyck's wife Helen for incorrectly naming her as Ruth. Some family members would probably know, although their young sons might not. Perhaps Mrs Dyck wants to avoid dragging their boys into the media circus for now. What you or I believe to be the cause of death is really irrelevant.

I'm willing to venture 100% that they were not seen by the Bear Clan in York Landing. Search dogs were on sight within 20 minutes and they did not pick up any scent. The suspects were not in Gillam. They were at Split Lake to get gas, and then NE of Gillam to burn the vehicle.

Also, if cause of death and identification is taking more than a day, I'm guessing that decomposition is an issue.

Let me share some maps

This is just NE of Gillam, opposite side of the river to Gillam (and York Landing)

View attachment 197629

Here's the bigger picture

View attachment 197630

Wow thank you so much, you’re awesome! This is exactly what I needed to get a visual! You always have really good info and posts so I’m curious of what you’re theory is on from the time they lit the Rav4 on fire? And do you are anyone else (would love to hear from any and all of you), what personal items of theirs were found and what about the boat? Used for shelter or did they try getting away in it and failed?

Im not so sure a great-uncle would have the most accurate information. JMO.

Aside from BS father's ramblings, this is first family member to make a statement to the media since BS death revealed.

Uncle JN is the grandmother's brother. Says grandmother was like a surrogate parent to BS. JN also states he saw BS the day before he left with KM on trip north, ostensibly to find work.

Why would he tell media a tale that can be easily confirmed? I'm not eager to discount his statement that BS had graduated.

MOO

ETA: add additional story link
'This tragedy, it affects 5 families': Bryer Schmegelsky's great uncle speaks out

The tribal constable and the split lake gas station clerk are the last people to have spoken to them. There are other people who saw but didn’t speak to them.
Neither of whom searched the vehicle. The clerk would have no reason to leave her till and the constable was ok with just letting them drive through into town to just get gas. Did the constable note them returning his way to leave the town after getting the gas? What would that take, 20 minutes max? These were two utter, complete strangers to him as he's used to only checking on local people he knows, and yet he's not alarmed? Tells none of his buddies (would be a big talking point in a small community I'd say) until he's questioned by rcmp? Not much good then, asking him if any other strange car passed his way that day.

I guess, in the court of public opinion we can decide that these two kids are guilty of more than the sole present evidence proves - that of driving a stolen vehicle, as we each choose which witnesses we believe, mostly to fit our own bias. Half a battalion can be re-deployed on a witness casual claim of seeing two guys in a dumpster, but an eye-witness (capable of completing a face sketch) to an argument at the original killing site is dismissed. The last known person to see the victims is kind of important, you'd think. Not surprising then that the rcmp are closing the case at this point: they have their men, so long as no-one is allowed to ask any more awkward questions. And, if they do, let's join websites and label them as conspiracy freaks.

In a court of law, most of these witness accounts would be shredded, as the truth is pursued.

And do you are anyone else (would love to hear from any and all of you), what personal items of theirs were found and what about the boat? Used for shelter or did they try getting away in it and failed?

Personal item? IMO, it probably looked like their gear, nearly all, or enough random bits to appear as thought their gear had been separated from them. From the findings on the beach, police were pretty convinced that the suspects were no longer alive.

Aside from BS father's ramblings, this is first family member to make a statement to the media since BS death revealed.

Uncle JN is the grandmother's brother. Says grandmother was like a surrogate parent to BS. JN also states he saw BS the day before he left with KM on trip north, ostensibly to find work.

Why would he tell media a tale that can be easily confirmed? I'm not eager to discount his statement that BS had graduated.

MOO

ETA: add additional story link
'This tragedy, it affects 5 families': Bryer Schmegelsky's great uncle speaks out

Im not suggesting they are telling tales at all. But Bryer could have told them tales that they believe.

He could be the brother of the grandmother who Bryer lived with, and if so, he might have fairly accurate information in regard to Bryer having graduated from high school. MOO.

ETA to specify what kind of information the comment refers to.
The Schmegelsky Great Uncle is the 'spokesman' for the family now. I think he also said he saw Bryer the day before he left, sounded like he knew him well.

I for sure agree with you about them wanting to steal the van... and then finding out it wouldn’t work. I’m not sure about them being on an illegal mission prior to that, but I do think that if KM had stopped answering calls and texts from his parents after he’d taken their truck, at some point soon, KM’s parents would call the RCMP themselves to be on the lookout for the truck and KM and BS.

For this theory to make sense, KM and BS would’ve had to already have it in their minds that they were going on a one-way deadly adventure, killing along the way, as needed, to get the things they wanted.

Only knowing the evidence from LF, CD and LD death can the picture of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member