Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other family members of BS did not notify him, which begs the question "why?" His son was missing. They did not get along. His son was missing.
That would have been cruel, but quite possible, also they could have had a good idea that he might have been a target for media and were trying to avoid it for a little more time, hoping CM and BS were found safe and well, since at the time LE were saying that neither case was related?

Are there a lot of pay phones in that part of Canada? They're almost non-existent where I am in the US.

In the first filmed interview, he said Bryer would use voice-to-text, so it was the phone mishearing him and filling in Kim instead of Kam.
There’s definitely a pay phone at the Liard Hot Springs Lodge, I was there in late spring. Maybe some at gas stations along the Hwy where cell service is spotty, but there’s fewer and fewer as more cell towers are put up.

Well, I am taking the cat to the vet and hope that by the time I get back, the RCMP have finished following all the protocols for identification they have to follow and can provide some information regarding the deaths of their suspects. Unfortunately, nothing will bring back five people who all lost their lives completely unnecessarily :( (and for the people searching the posts for something to criticize and argue about, the cat statement was just for you, so get sniping as I won't be here to defend myself for several hours!)
I'd say 3 people lost their lives unnecessarily, not 5. Nobody forced them to do what they did.

I am sure that someone more organized than me will be able to supply a link, but IIRC, RCMP never said they believe that other people were involved, but said instead, and I am paraphrasing, that at this time, they cannot rule out that others may have been involved. JMO

RCMP did say that the suspects' deaths had to be investigated as a homicide, but I don't think they said anything about other suspects. I think that means they would determine double suicide, or homicide suicide.

RCMP did say that the suspects' deaths had to be investigated as a homicide, but I don't think they said anything about other suspects. I think that means they would determine double suicide, or homicide suicide.

Nope, I am pretty sure that, seems it was in an interview, that it was said that they either couldn't rule out, or had not yet ruled out that someone else may have been involved...I will see if I can find the link.

I have searched everywhere for a link to support the claim that RCMP believe that other people were involved in the murders. Any idea where this information is coming from?

I believe a statement to the effect of making more inquiries, and not having any outstanding questions was cited during the Q&A at the last presser.

It was more a statement of Police being thorough, and not an allegation that they were seeking additional suspects.

Right, but should LE have held the announcement until AS was reached?

Confusion between suspect and missing person protocols, possibly. Telling the public they were missing, while treating them behind the scenes as suspects?

Yes, they certainly are, along with a host of other info. I get it, though. Their job is and was to collect evidence and pass it on to the Crown. The Crown looked at (some of) the information and laid charges in the Prof Dyck case, on its own.

I think it's unfortunate for the families of Chynna and Lucas that charges were not laid before the two were found dead. If it were me, that would have provided a bit of closure. In my experience, families of crime victims really want information, more than anything. Some want it all. I am one of those people and I tend to remain in contact with survivors/victims who are the same way. But not everyone is like that.

I assume that if the suspects had been formally charged, in court, they would have heard their charges and their attorney would have had the evidence, which would have been filed with the court. Since it never got to that stage, I don't know how Canada treats this, next. But in most of the US, since no charges were laid in the Chynna and Lucas murders, there would be no court records to ask for and acquire (there's a fee, but court records, unless sealed by a judge - which is rare - are available to all). It's usually the media who grabs them.

<modsnip > the charge document for Mr. Dyck’s death is a public document, but it probably won’t tell you anything significant.

There may have been search warrants in this case, in which case the affidavits in support are in a court file and will become public, if they aren’t already.

In Canada, prosecutors do not file evidence with the court when an accused makes his initial court appearance. They provide defence counsel with “particulars” (basically, the alleged facts and evidence backing them up) of the offense. This is an on-going obligation up to and during trial if new evidence comes to light. Particulars are for the accused and his counsel; they are not public documents.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that when they find two dead people, protocol is to investigate as a homicide.

Yes, I get that, but they were not saying this in reference to a murder/suicide of the two, where clearly one would have to be the killer of the other. Or at least I did not get that sense.

ETA...Okay, @Seattle seems to have cleared that up. I will go back to sleep now...sorry for misremembering the context of the statement.

Last edited:
This TED talk by Dylan Kleibold's (Columbine shooter) mother is fascinating. Not only from the POV of the mother of a killer, but she has done a lot of soul searching and research on why these things happen and the psychology behind them. Well worth the 15 minutes to get inside the minds of suicidal murderers and the fallout for their families. My son was a Columbine shooter. This is my story
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but my friend was at that shooting, and although not seriously injured, became a drug addict to handle the pain of seeing his friends die, and off the pain pills they gave him for his injuries. I was just reminded of how far reaching these events are, as he committed suicide earlier this year after being sober for 7 years. I really feel for all families involved. The fallout from these things doesn't seem to end...I think BS's dad is doing the best he can. It's almost impossible to understand, and thank you for posting this link. I'm not sure if my friend ever saw this.

Yes, they certainly are, along with a host of other info. I get it, though. Their job is and was to collect evidence and pass it on to the Crown. The Crown looked at (some of) the information and laid charges in the Prof Dyck case, on its own.

I think it's unfortunate for the families of Chynna and Lucas that charges were not laid before the two were found dead. If it were me, that would have provided a bit of closure. In my experience, families of crime victims really want information, more than anything. Some want it all. I am one of those people and I tend to remain in contact with survivors/victims who are the same way. But not everyone is like that.

I assume that if the suspects had been formally charged, in court, they would have heard their charges and their attorney would have had the evidence, which would have been filed with the court. Since it never got to that stage, I don't know how Canada treats this, next. But in most of the US, since no charges were laid in the Chynna and Lucas murders, there would be no court records to ask for and acquire (there's a fee, but court records, unless sealed by a judge - which is rare - are available to all). It's usually the media who grabs them.
It certainly makes you wonder why there was a publication ban for a day when they were charged in Dyck's death.

Yes, I get that, but they were not saying this in reference to a murder/suicide of the two, where clearly one would have to be the killer of the other. Or at least I did not get that sense.

At face value, that's my understanding. RCMP find 2 dead bodies, they have to investigate it as a homicide. The results may be double suicide, homicide suicide, double homicide. I do not think that RCMP were implying that they think another person was with them at the time of their deaths.

At face value, that's my understanding. RCMP find 2 dead bodies, they have to investigate it as a homicide. The results may be double suicide, homicide suicide, double homicide. I do not think that RCMP were implying that they think another person was with them at the time of their deaths.

You are likely correct. I may have "misremembered' the context that the statement was made in. It sometimes happens when you work all day and come home and try to cram through 50+ pages so you can post without asking something that has already been asked and answered ad nauseam. I will go back to sleep now. Sorry!

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but my friend was at that shooting, and although not seriously injured, became a drug addict to handle the pain of seeing his friends die, and off the pain pills they gave him for his injuries. I was just reminded of how far reaching these events are, as he committed suicide earlier this year after being sober for 7 years. I really feel for all families involved. The fallout from these things doesn't seem to end...I think BS's dad is doing the best he can. It's almost impossible to understand, and thank you for posting this link. I'm not sure if my friend ever saw this.

My sympathies to you.

Trauma may be at the root of all this. Trauma in a young person early in their life can be devastating.

I was once present at a random shooting while eating dinner in a restaurant with friends, in Canada. The man had a shotgun aimed at me after he killed another victim, same gender, close in age. I come here to understand. I will never understand. There was no reason for what he did.

This may’ve been posted already. Probably they’re waiting on DNA test results.

BBM

“Autopsies on two bodies found by police in northern Manitoba during a search for B.C. fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod are complete, an RCMP spokesperson confirmed Sunday.

Sgt. Paul Manaigre said RCMP have formalities to complete before they can officially identify the bodies. However, he said it's believed the bodies are those of the suspects.

More details are expected on Monday from RCMP in B.C., Manaigre said, adding it will ultimately be up to Mounties in that province to release any information.

"Under the Fatality Inquiries Act, there's a few procedures that need to be carried out in order for us to … say with absolute certainty that these are the two people," Manaigre said.

"So we're just kind of waiting on those formalities to be done and then that information will be shared."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bc-fugitive-autopsies-done-1.5243304

Still seems quite unnecessary for two healthy teenage boys to do what they allegedly did and to end up dead for no good reason as well. It's just a waste. And senseless.
jmo
They may have been physically healthy, but certainly not mentally healthy. I do agree it's senseless, but to include their deaths in with the 3 who lost their lives "unnecessarily" as SiciC quoted, I don't agree with. If you're ultimately going to go out and kill yourself, (which I believe was their intent right from the beginning), don't take others with you. It was probably necessary to them, rather than be captured and face life in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member