Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah well, I think that can be questionable given now the RCMP have admitted their personal effect and clothing were lying on the shore, for "several days" near where they should have been expected to be, and only found them because of a civilian tip! Not sure if that qualifies for "great work".

8 to 9 km away is about 6 miles. In vast rugged territory that does not qualify as “near where they should have been expected to be”.

I feel a reverse sort of flashback to when the RCMP were being heavily criticized for wasting their time in and around Gillam because the pair were long gone. Now you say they didn’t find them soon enough?

Only my opinion of course, but I don't think they would have tried to kill the band constables. Way too high profile in that people would have noticed right away. These two seemed far more cowardly. Probably the same reason why the guy who helped them out of the mud didn't end up dead.
EXACTLY! They choose people who were more vulnerable. And probably snuck up on LF/CD, when they were most vulnerable. Also, these were more public type spaces.

So many people, as seen right here, still seem unable to accept that 2 guys with 2 guns killed 3 people.
My question is: why can't they accept reality, rationality and evidence?

Perhaps because all the facets of this tragedy appear to defy normalcy; are devoid of rationale; and evidence so far revealed seems barely circumstantial. MOO

Yeah it sounds like the search wasn't too thorough. I wonder very much what would have transpired if the safety officers had found the guns. I think it seems quite dangerous to have unarmed officers searching peoples vehicles at night, with the potential to find anything.
I agree! I was also surprised that some of the band "LE" aren't usually armed?

I have been following this story since the beginning so forgive for asking as it may have been discussed, but why it it a surprise to some that two guns were found? We knew the late victims were killed by some type of gun shot, and the RAV was linked to the suspects who IMO likely were the ones who killed all three.

Well, RCMP did say (I think) that they survived 4-5 days after their last sighting (the checkpoint? We don't know what marker RCMP is using).

I too thought they would be dead from exposure.

They had a choice of death-by-cop (with possibly some death/damage to RCMP individuals) but somehow veered away from that fairly easily managed event. Instead, they chose a more solitary, intimate death. If it's true they did not come up to their death place from the river and instead threw some of their belongings down the bank, that may signal that they wanted to be found (dead). Remorse, of a kind.

My guess is that they did something they simply could not live with; they set out to do exactly that. They were suicidal from the beginning, whether conscious of it or not. Like many criminals, really (willing to die, hoping not to die, at least initially).

Burning the vehicles makes much more sense to me now.

I’m thankful at the end they chose not to go out on “a blaze of glory” involving a shootout with police. Suicide was the cowardly way out to avoid facing the music IMO but at least it put no further lives at risk.

I have been following this story since the beginning so forgive for asking as it may have been discussed, but why it it a surprise to some that two guns were found? We knew the late victims were killed by some type of gun shot, and the RAV was linked to the suspects who IMO likely were the ones who killed all three.
I think we had expected one gun based on the assumption that the sources would have been limited based on what we know now.

Yep, this is what I think also.
I agree with all that you've said. I would add that maybe they set the RAV4 on fire specifically to alert the police. Then hid and were hoping to go out suicide by cop. Then the bugs, then the terrain, no toilet paper, no pillow, then no one found them, so they did it themselves. I don't know, maybe?

I think there needs to be a more clear explanation as to where the items linked to the suspects were found, in proximity to the deceased, and to the already searched perimeter.

Where the boat was recovered was it already a spot previously searched?

I think it’s fair to be questioning how this could have happened.

I’m not sure how to ask this.. Can the RCMP be in trouble for potentially ‘cornering’ the suspects to lead them to suicide?

do you understand how small a .22 bullet is?

Apropos of nothing, and again quoting WIKI, "The .22 LR cartridge is popular among novice shooters and experts alike. Its minimal recoil and relatively low noise make it an ideal cartridge for recreational shooting, small-game hunting, and pest control. .22 LR cadet rifles are commonly used by military cadets and others for basic firearms and marksmanship training. It is used by the Boy Scouts in the United States for the rifle shooting merit badge."

I'm not sure if a single .22 bullet to the hip would kill a person although a bleed-out could have that result it the individual were unconscious. I'm out of my pay scale on this. Just wild speculation, but MOO.

I think there needs to be a more clear explanation as to where the items linked to the suspects were found, in proximity to the deceased, and to the already searched perimeter.

Where the boat was recovered was it already a spot previously searched?

I think it’s fair to be questioning how this could have happened.

I’m not sure how to ask this.. Can the RCMP be in trouble for potentially ‘cornering’ the suspects to lead them to suicide?
No. But I'd bet that there's some sort of debriefing at the end of such public cases
where that might get discussed.

I know a lot of academics as well, and I can assure that some do indeed travel with guns. I can even tell you, department by department, which disciplines (at three different universities where I've asked around) are likely to carry weapons. I have pictures of a particular discipline group proudly displaying their fully automatic weapons.

Guns and academics do sometimes go together. In fact, I'll mention one discipline: some geologists I know do carry into the field (and that includes people who were on the side of Mt Saint Helen before the eruption - I was surprised about it). I also know geologists who wouldn't dream of it. I have visited some remote stations (in New Mexico, at Sunspot, I have seen armed academics, and it was for a pretty good reason).

But geologists are not, IMO, the most armed of academics. It's true that many academics carefully hide their involvement in firearms (I didn't find out much until I revealed that I own a gun myself, which is entrée into more dialogue about guns - and of course, I had to be very much on the down low with many of my colleagues). I had a natural way of bringing it up, after my 99 year old dad died and I inherited his guns. I was super super surprised to learn who was carrying and who wanted to go to the range with me. Let's just say it was not anthropologists.

In Canada? Geologists are tree huggers in Canada. They like rocks too, but guns are not something that people routinely carry around. I know that hunters are claiming that everyone is armed, but that population is very small.

Children can be too afraid and not understand what to do. Adults should report such things when they see them. Children are sometimes told by teachers not to tattle. Children are not to blame.
How do they choose the people to tell their gruesome plans to? What reaction are they hoping for?
My father opened his briefcase to show me the 45 he would have shot his boss that day if his boss had appeared. I was about 14 or 15. I never said anything to anyone. Who would I have told without getting shot? It didn’t seem important since he didn’t do it.

I very much doubt that the RCMP will reveal the source of the guns, if the guns came from a private home where they had been properly stored. That could expose the home owners to potential thefts.

Unless the guns were in fact reported stolen. Or even used in previous crimes unrelated to these 3 victims.

ANSWER: It took 2 hours to clean up this thread of all the multitude of reported TOS violating posts. WOW again.

Please do not argue with each other. It does nothing to further the discussion in this case, and may result in a longer thread closure next time.

Please do your best to be responsible and respectful to each other, and if you disagree with someone, just scroll and roll.

Thread is OPEN....for now.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Then...would he not have acquired the guns legally, in which case RCMP would have known which guns he had. That brings us full circle to the discussion about whether there should have been more info/warnings. I personally think RCMP would have said "believed to be armed and dangerous" or equivalent if they knew Kam had legally purchased guns.

Maybe not. I'm just guessing.

IIRC, the RCMP reminded the public to not approach them if anyone saw them. They did warn that they were very dangerous and anyone encountering them should contact police and stay away. That seemed like a pretty good warning, they were very clear about them being deadly and dangerous. At the time RCMP was chasing them, they wouldn't have known if they still had weapons.

I'm not surprised they still had weapons with them. They both seemed to place great value in guns and probably thought of them as status symbols. They may have been low on ammo and decided to keep enough bullets to commit suicide.

I lost all my multi-quotes when the thread was closed....

Anyway if they were alive for a few days in the bush, to me that indicates this wasn't planned as a suicide mission. Otherwise they probably would have killed themselves sooner rather than endure those conditions. Their behavior indicates to me that they were trying to get away, until they realized it was futile. Also, they wouldn't have been so panicked about being caught during their cross-country drive if this was a suicide mission. Now, as I said before, I think the concept of suicide was one they were very familiar with for years leading up to this...but I think they at least had a part of them that wanted to remain alive. I think they were also huge cowards overall (don't do the crime if you can't do the time) and maybe it took them a few days because they were too afraid to kill themselves (ironic!)

The police may have used insect activity on the remains (lifecycle of eggs laid, etc.) to determine length of time they had been deceased.

I'm still not sure it was planned as a spree killing either. It's possible. But if it was, why didn't they wait for the police to show up and try to take some of them out before being taken out? And why no additional victims after the 18th? Unless they ended up regretting what they did.

It's possible the guns came from Kam's family. I still don't think it was necessarily weird to bring a gun up north because of bears and so on. But, as far as we know, they had no gun licenses. And having two guns is a greater indicator that something nefarious was planned the whole time. Whether that was killing, robbery, or whatever. I still think there's a chance it started out as robbery because Lucas' father (a top police officer) said at first he thought it was a robbery gone wrong.

Even if both of them had guns, one of them could have still gone to the police and pinned the blame on the other, claiming some kind of "forced into doing it" thing, or tried to testify in exchange for a deal. It's worked before (Karla Homolka). Plus they were pretty dumb so who knows if they even knew that much about ballistics and all that. It's actually very common in dyad killings for the two to turn on each other and blame each other. The fact that they didn't, and yet there's still evidence to indicate this wasn't a suicide mission the whole time, indicates to me that they were so close, that was never an option for them.

As I said before, these guys were really sloppy with everything, so if it was planned I expect evidence of planning will come up (JMO). Even if they planned a killing spree this whole time, I still think it was preventable for the reasons which I have stated many times.

I also morbidly wonder what their conversations were like during their long drive across the continent, and in the woods. Like...what do you talk about after killing three people with your BFF and heading off to near-certain death? I feel like it would be...kind of awkward??...but who knows, I'm not a psycho killer. Also, did they listen to any music in the car, and if so, which music? Am I a total weirdo for wondering about stuff like this?

Also comment I read elsewhere, along the lines of morbid speculation:
Morbid, but I've always wondered how double suicides actually play out. Is it a "1 ... 2 ... 3 .. GO!" or is it a "OMG he just killed himself I'm all alone now what do I do I can't do this alone". Or maybe it's a mixture of both. "1 ... 2 ... 2 and a h--oh, wow, he actually did it. Guess I have to do it now too".

I guess this all just rephrases the overall question of what the hell were they thinking....

I also am very interested in the toxicology results.

Also I know someone posted this article: Why Spree Killers Kill Themselves and this article has some really interesting stuff. This also fits with my "us against the world" theory of their mindset from a couple of days ago, and Bryer's "militia" being a metaphorical representation of his feelings of alienation from society and lack of control over his life.

Criminologist Jack Gibbs’s theory of social control suggests that when an individual commits murder, he or she does so because the social system is perceived to have failed in its responsibility to control the behavior of others and thus protect that individual’s rights. Unable to rely on broader instruments of social control, the murderer tries to “correct” past injustices by employing his or her own direct control over others, which manifests itself through violence.

Gibbs’s theory of social control applied here suggests that offenders who attack random victims at open commercial sites are responding to perceived failures of social control at a societal level, and are thus the most universally hopeless about their future. In contrast, offenders who target victims at schools or office buildings would be responding to failures of social control at a much smaller level, and would not be as hopeless about society at large and therefore would have less desire to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810