CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be distance education. Online learning is increasingly common in post secondary Canadian institutions looking to address remote and rural populations. Furthermore, teaching space is a hot commodity. Online learning provides more opportunities.

Was that his association with UBC?

He lectured in botany on campus.

It's unusual but not unprecedented. The In Cold Blood killers committed a quadruple homicide their first go-around. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if there are more victims that preceded this.

ahah yes, but Perry always claimed he had thrown a fellow soldier off a bridge in Tokyo.. no one knows if that is true..

It’s speculation, as the OP mentioned.

But highly likely IMO

I am giving them too much credit possibly? I thought everyone was aware that LE would immediately be looking for any debit or credit card activity.

JMO but if they were smart and had truly planned this, then all the victims IDs and cards should be found burnt with the first camper truck. I do not think robbery was the intention....stealing the IDs and cards was to make the process of identifying the victims take more time which in turn gives KM & BS more time to get away and continue the horror. Pure speculation and JMO

ahah yes, but Perry always claimed he had thrown a fellow soldier off a bridge in Tokyo.. no one knows if that is true..
He claimed it but also said he was lying. LOL

He also claimed to have killed someone in Vegas but then admitted he was lying. As far as I remember, there were no confirmed murders for him before that. But Dick had definitely never killed anyone.

Disclaimer: My master's thesis was on the book. It's been awhile since I read it, but I got pretty deep in my research and never found any later confirmation of those claims either. I'm pretty sure that was just jailhouse boasting to impress Dick.

I still hang in with the premise that this partnership between Kam and Bryer is a sort of marriage. A very deep commitment, not only to each other but committed to some vision, some bucket list of the mind, something that has elevated both of them into a third powerful entity, invincible, unaccountable and irredeemable, in their eyes. It has a life of it's own, this commitment, unless one of them is already dead, unknown to us. Dead by his own hand, or by the other.

It is difficult to pin down the primary motivation of this 'adventure'. The Killing of travelers? the travel itself? the thefts? the fires?.. Killing the two travelers first off was one hell of a mighty risk, and one of those things that cannot be imagined beforehand, unless it was Mr Dyck who was first, but there didn't seem to be much time between the killings, but there WAS a gap, no doubt, and a move to another location, which underlines the commitment to the vision they hold. They had time to appraise what they had done and they did, and decided it was a fine thing and continued on to the next event.

I believe the killing was the prime mover in getting them out of Port Alberni, as a motivation and as a vision of themselves as roaming , invisible killers, of no particular target in mind except ease of victimizing. That is, I don't think they were searching for a couple, or a single bloke or a bus load of tourists... it was purely a chance thing, a 'karma' thing.

As they probably see their own death. As a chance thing, a thing already settled.
Absolutely!

I can't understand why the two burned the camper truck. That's what set LE on their trail. If they hadn't have done that, they wouldn't have been so quickly examined as having something to do with these crimes. They wouldn't have had to hijack the RAV4 and kill its owner.

I can't understand why they burned the RAV4. It seems to have left them up the creek without a paddle.

Why burn the vehicles?

BS's father said he heard in the news the two were no longer in the Yukon.

Has anyone here heard or read anything about the two being in Yukon and when exactly they entered back into BC? I assume this was early on? Hadn't heard this detail before today.

Do you happen to have a link?

I recall the reporter saying the father heard in the news about his son going missing, nothing about the Yukon. But it was Whitehorse where the media reported they were heading to seek work, which is in the Yukon.

This is exactly the same thing my mom just said to me as we talked about the case. I suppose it can just be a reaction to the new circumstances, but it is a big shift.

It really is. He says his son "is on a suicide mission." And that "he's going to be dead today or tomorrow,".

Sounds to me like he may have received some new information from his son. Speculation of course.

Last edited:
Just thinking some more about Len Dyck. He was a lecturer at a university - the type of man who worked with young people, likely mentored and encouraged young people. One of our own WSers attended a lecture by him and remembers it fondly. He was a good man to young people the same age as the perps who killed him.

I'm really affected by this, didn't see this emotion coming. Dang, these cases can be hard.

He was a friendly nice man who seems to have loved his work - and the murdered couple loved life and loved each other.

Are they targeting happy people to kill?! (I know that sounds crazy.)

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you happen to have a link?

I recall the reporter saying the father heard in the news about his son going missing, nothing about the Yukon. But it was Whitehorse where the media reported they were heading to seek work, which is in the Yukon.

Yes, after a second listen I misheard the father. He says with about 1:05 left of the video he heard in the paper they were up in the Yukon. Not that they had left the Yukon.

I had no idea they had gone that far North and that it was public knowledge.

Teens charged with 2nd-degree murder of Vancouver man in northern B.C.

Just thinking some more about Len Dyck. He was a lecturer at a university - the type of man who worked with young people, likely mentored and encouraged young people. One of our own WSers attended a lecture by him and remembers it fondly. He was a good man to young people the same age as the perps who killed him.

I'm really affected by this, didn't see this emotion coming. Dang, these cases can be hard.

He was a friendly nice man who seems to have loved his work - and the murdered couple loved life and loved each other.

jmo

It doesn't sound crazy at all, that seems to be the pattern. Murdering these vibrant, kind, and happy people. Maybe just sheer coincidence, but they all seem to share some sort of attitude on life almost.

Just thinking some more about Len Dyke. He was a lecturer at a university - the type of man who worked with young people, likely mentored and encouraged young people. One of our own WSers attended a lecture by him and remembers it fondly. He was a good man to young people the same age as the perps who killed him.

jmo
I wondered about the same, it is not crazy.

I can't understand why the two burned the camper truck. That's what set LE on their trail. If they hadn't have done that, they wouldn't have been so quickly examined as having something to do with these crimes. They wouldn't have had to hijack the RAV4 and kill its owner.

I can't understand why they burned the RAV4. It seems to have left them up the creek without a paddle.

Why burn the vehicles?

Simple.. You decide you don't intend on going home and that you don't want to leave a trail of personal info and closure for people.

Why burn the vehicles?

That’d be interesting to know because burning the truck and camper is how they let it be known they were present in the area. Did they think the truck would disintegrate into nothingness? Or start an aggressive out of control forest fire?

I still have a meth lab in the back of my mind, an accidental explosion. High chance they were users IMO although nobody’s saying.

But I really doubt the two were ever intent on job searching. The other question is why they didn’t they high tail it out immediately after the murder of LF and CD with the truck and camper instead of burning it days later. And when does the murder of LD fit into all this?

It doesn't sound crazy at all, that seems to be the pattern. Murdering these vibrant, kind, and happy people. Maybe just sheer coincidence, but they all seem to share some sort of attitude on life almost.
Yes, I'm having such a strong reaction to this case.

With the couple, I always smile looking at their photos. They are just so full of life - like you can capture their enthusiasm just by reading about them and seeing them. You can almost feel their zest. Same with Mr. Dyke. Just looking at his photo, I had a positive reaction immediately. And your words about him really touched my heart.

Oppose that feeling to the vibe from almost the start that these two perps weren't just regular robbers but something creepier than that.

I don't know what to say about it....just surprised at the strong reaction and vibe the case gives me.

jmo

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know because burning the truck and camper is how they let it be known they were present in the area.

I still have a meth lab in the back of my mind, an accidental explosion. High chance they were users IMO although nobody’s saying.

But I really doubt the two were ever intent on job searching. The other question is why they didn’t high tail it out immediately after the murder of LF and CD with the truck and camper, why’d they burn it days later. And when does the murder of LD fit into all this?
There's a lot of meth in my area, and I don't think either of them look like meth users. BS is skinny, but his face doesn't have that trademark sunken-in look that every meth addict I've ever seen has.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

They changed a law in Canada in December 2011. Up to that point, a life sentence (first/second degree murder) meant that you had a possibility of parole after 25 years no matter how many people you killed. Now, murderers can be sentenced to consecutive parole periods for each murder, and with 3 dead, these kids are looking at 75 years before they would be allowed to even think of asking for parole (which could be denied). They would be 93 and 94 before they had a hope of getting out. Either way, their lives are over. I think the father is just reacting to the fact that even a "good" outcome means a loss of his son's full life.

The legal age of buying alcohol in Canada is 19 for most provinces, 18 for Alberta, Quebec and Manitoba.

I agree that they're young men, and calling them 'men' is odd, but thinking of them *advertiser censored* less than adults somehow seems to assuage some of their guilt ('dumb boys don't know what they're doing or how much trouble they're in'). To be clear, I'm not saying that that's what's being implied by anyone here at all. But the crimes are so heinous that thinking of them as young men influenced by games would be an affront to the victims. The onus is on them. Younger children are tried and held responsible as adults. These aren't teens, they're fully grown and aware of what they're doing.

I do understand, however, that it's just our vernacular to call a 19 year old a teen or a kid or a young man, and that's fine. It's just important to distance that image from the crime itself. JMO and not directed at anyone.

thank you
you said it better than me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members