Canada - Numerous pedestrians struck by van near Yonge and Finch, Toronto, Apr 2018 *guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This does not help to reduce my anger.

I was talking about what he did with a group of people when someone brought it up everyone lost their anger. Not sure what to tell you.

his assessment was correct look at outcomes. There is almost a daily barrage of LE in our country shooting an unarmed 5 ft 8 man 62 times they need retraining

cops in other nations are NOT shooting dozens of bullets into a single suspect

we are out of control

Maybe we're ready for a new era of cop hero TV, featuring effectively trained cops who don't just run on adrenaline and don't start blasting. Shameless plug for Murdoch Mysteries. :)

I don’t understand how the 3 pedestrians stroll from left to right in the video behind the accused and don’t appear concerned at all by a policeman pointing a gun at the suspect and the back and forth yelling. I sure wouldnt be so nonchalant about the situation if it was me

I thought the same thing! - I watched and was like shouting at the screen "move!!!!" even though this had obviously already happened... :scared:

I'm from that neighbourhood - North York. I'd also walk on by if I'm honest.

I grew up in TO and went to its School for the Arts from grade 5 to Uni a few blocks away from the site of these atrocities. Although the area has changed quite a bit over the years, police altercations were pretty common, though this level of mass murder was not. Among the many cases we hear about that have roots in solitude, dysfunction and a life lived largely online, this strikes me as one of the hardest and cruelest.

I grew up in TO and went to its School for the Arts from grade 5 to Uni a few blocks away from the site of these atrocities. Although the area has changed quite a bit over the years, police altercations were pretty common, though this level of mass murder was not. Among the many cases we hear about that have roots in solitude, dysfunction and a life lived largely online, this strikes me as one of the hardest and cruelest.

Mass murder definitely not common.

My best friend went to that school! (I was so jealous!) I grew up at J&F - went to school behind that old Blockbuster that is now a beauty supply store. Altercations like that would definitely see me walking on by as normal. Possible that those people hadn't heard about what happened on Yonge with the van, otherwise I would indeed expect more alarm.

Mass murder definitely not common.

My best friend went to that school! (I was so jealous!) I grew up at J&F - went to school behind that old Blockbuster that is now a beauty supply store. Altercations like that would definitely see me walking on by as normal. Possible that those people hadn't heard about what happened on Yonge with the van, otherwise I would indeed expect more alarm.

Someone said those people had just exited a restaurant, probably thought they had walked onto a movie/tv set.

Plus, in all parts of TO you see people talking as they walk.....very normal but might have thought they were arguing (they didn't seem to notice the cop and lack of cars.)

Not asking you to tell me anything. My friend was at school with him. I know that he has autism. He's also a mass murderer and was inspired by violently misogynist ideology that teaches vulnerable people that they are entitled to women, and when they can't have them, retribution should come in the form of murder and mass rape.

He praised Elliot Rodgers on his Facebook before he drove into the crowds. I think we need to address that he was radicalized online by misogynistic hate groups.

He praised Elliot Rodgers on his Facebook before he drove into the crowds. I think we need to address that he was radicalized online by misogynistic hate groups.

I think so too. How many other entitled lonely men are out there thinking women should be punished for not wanting to sleep with them?

I think so too. How many other entitled lonely men are out there thinking women should be punished for not wanting to sleep with them?

According to those subforums thousands and possibly looking up to this guy and Elliot Rodgers for massacring others. We'll see lots more until people stop idolizing violent behavior. (Which isn't going to happen anytime soon).

Hello.

I think that after Sammy Yatim's death, training for police officers on dealing with mental health crises was implemented. They do not always get it right, but this cop really did.

Exactly.

Report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis (2014)

Former Supreme Court of Canada justice Frank Iacobucci’s report on the Toronto Police Service, which was sparked by the killing of a teenager on an empty streetcar last summer, makes 84 recommendations aimed at reducing the number of deaths during officers’ interactions with the public.

“If reasonable steps can be taken to prevent even one unnecessary death, then those steps must be taken,” Iacobucci said Thursday. “It is clear that the police are part of the mental-health system. They have become the front-line mental-health workers.”

acobucci noted that his report was not about laying blame on anyone but rather was meant to consider how lethal outcomes can be prevented in the future.

“The premise of the report is that the target should be zero deaths when police interact with a member of the public,” he said.

TORONTO — It was a series of unfortunate events that led to the mixup, and Alex Minassian has spent the last 24 hours trying to set the record straight — he’s not the driver of a van that mowed down pedestrians on a busy Toronto street.

[...]

His Facebook profile was posted on several social media sites including Reddit, 4Chan and Twitter, naming him as the suspect in the tragedy. But that one different letter was important to Alex Minassian — who said he is not related to the alleged killer and that Minassian is a common name in Armenia and Iran.

[...]

I expect better from the chief of police of Toronto. This is an error that should not be made, and impacts other lives. Looks completely unprofessional. If he wasn’t sure of the name, he should have said so, and said he would confirm ASAP.

I respectfully disagree. I am sure that Officer Lam realized that AM wasn’t armed because he was close and could see AM. AM was asking to be shot. Lam has been trained, obviously very well, in de-escalation, and used his training and very best judgement in a matter of mere seconds.

When you think about it, the police in the UK do not carry any guns (only special task forces do). I have watched many programs on TV about UK police training, and seen it in action. They are also highly trained in de-escalating confrontations such as this on a daily basis, with excellent outcomes.

The U.S. police training needs to get their act together and follow other countries’ proven methods, IMHO. Police shootings in the U.S. are far too frequent and plentiful. Most are completely unnecessary and more akin to outright murder, in a sense.

I don’t mean to offend anyone. This is solely MOO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There have been 4 police officers shot in the past few days in the US. Two were just responding to a shoplifting call at HomeDepot. And they got shot in the face. Over a shopliftting charge?

And 2 officers, who had just ordered Chinese food, and were sitting and eating lunch, were shot and killed, with no provocation.

That is the kind of violence the officers are dealing with when they are on the job. So to say that they over react or that they need to get their act together, does not fit the context that they live on the job each day. JMO

Comparing US cops to the UK cops is apples and oranges. What are the chances that a cop in the UK is going to meet up with an armed gang member, compared to that happening in the US?

answer:

In a population of 56 million, that adds up to about 50 to 60 gun killings annually in the UK. In the USA, by contrast, there are about 160 times as many gun homicides in a country that is roughly six times larger in population. There were 8,124 gun homicides in 2014, according to the latest FBI figures.

He did not take a chance. He evaluated the situation and saw that there was no risk to him and moved on it.

He did not really know if there was a risk to him or not. He assumed there was no more weapons and he assumed there would be no scuffle or physical resistance, so he didn't wait for back up. That was his call, but it was a gamble. It paid off this time. But it should not be the expected protocol. JMO

n

So many blame Autism/Aspergers after the event.

You cannot 'blame' Aspergers. But it is kind of hard to ignore that several of the most egregious and horrific mass killings have been carried out by those on the spectrum. [Adam Lanza, Elliot Rodger, Jeffrey Dahmer,The Unabomber,Dr Harold Shipman, etc]

And there have been recent studies that apparently found a higher statistical connection between known killers and autism.

ETA:

Serial killers are portrayed as cold, calculating and often obsessive but it was unknown exactly what caused them to commit such heinous crimes.
Now research from Glasgow has found that these similar traits among different murderers may be linked to specific psychological disorders and childhood trauma.
Researchers from Glasgow have conducted the first ever analysis of journals, news reports and legal files involved in the cases of killers, including Anders Breivik and Dr Harold Shipman.
They discovered a link between suffering a combination of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), a head injury and a psychosocial disorder, such as that caused by exposure to abuse in childhood or parental divorce.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mon-murderers-study-claims.html#ixzz5DhkuqXl1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

that blew me away as well

I replayed it to make sure they were that indifferent I should have run like heck!!

and even when they did start to look behind them their response did not hasten right away it was odd

I think it was a slow realization of what was happening. Once they realized they started to move.

When I get angry, I remind myself he has autism and that helps to reduce the anger.

I think many of us really do not care that he has autism, he is a mass murderer and should be treated as such.

Thou shall not kill.

https://www.cp24.com/news/latest-va...ingle-mom-originally-from-sri-lanka-1.3901080
The latest victim of the North York van attack to be identified was a single mother from Sri Lanka who had just finished her first day of work at a nearby high school’s cafeteria when she was struck and killed.

The Toronto District School Board says Renuka Amarasingha, 46, had worked in nutrition in various public schools in the city since 2015.

She had just finished her first shift at nearby Earl Haig Secondary School and was walking when she was struck.
Family and friends of hers tell CP24 she had a young son. A friend of Amarasingha says her son's father has travelled to Toronto to care for him in the wake of her death.
Harry Malawi, the president of the organization, confirmed Munir Abed Alnajjar was among the 10 killed when the driver of a Ryder rental van plowed down pedestrians along a 2.2-kilometre stretch of Yonge Street, near Finch Avenue, on Monday afternoon.

Malawi said Alnajjar and his wife planned to be in the country for about a month.
Alnajjar’s son, Malawi said, is a Canadian citizen who has lived in the country for many years and is the director of the Canadian Arab Orchestra.
Renuka Amarasinghe is shown in an undated image

Munir Abed Alnajjar Alnajjar was the father of a Jordanian-Canadian citizen. His son is a vocalist and a director of the Arab Canadian Orchestra.

You cannot 'blame' Aspergers. But it is kind of hard to ignore that several of the most egregious and horrific mass killings have been carried out by those on the spectrum. [Adam Lanza, Elliot Rodger, Jeffrey Dahmer,The Unabomber,Dr Harold Shipman, etc]

And there have been recent studies that apparently found a higher statistical connection between known killers and autism.

ETA:

Serial killers are portrayed as cold, calculating and often obsessive but it was unknown exactly what caused them to commit such heinous crimes.
Now research from Glasgow has found that these similar traits among different murderers may be linked to specific psychological disorders and childhood trauma.
Researchers from Glasgow have conducted the first ever analysis of journals, news reports and legal files involved in the cases of killers, including Anders Breivik and Dr Harold Shipman.
They discovered a link between suffering a combination of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), a head injury and a psychosocial disorder, such as that caused by exposure to abuse in childhood or parental divorce.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mon-murderers-study-claims.html#ixzz5DhkuqXl1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If it is true that he has Aspergers, I would suspect that contributed to this event. But obviously not everyone with Aspergers is violent. I blame this Incel culture. I had never heard of it before, and frankly it is frightening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat
Back