Found Deceased Canada - Samantha Higgins, 22, LaSalle, QC, 6 July 2015 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Thanks for the link to this article -- it sheds a little more light on some details.

NF graduated from high school in May, at 21/22 years, so had not completed his initial studies. Do we have any more information on him? Had he held down any kind of job in the meantime? Apart from the 2010 assault/firearm charges, there seems to be very little info on him. We've seen interviews and links to FB posts from SH friends and family, but no one from NF side seemed to have come forward, even prior to the discovery in Hinchinbrooke or the arrest on Monday. Seems like he could have been very socially isolated and thus very emotionally dependent on his girlfriend since the age of 15.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/07/15/le-fiance-a-deja-evite-la-prison

A little more information on NF in this morning's Journal de Montreal, much of which is based on court proceedings regarding his 2010 arrest:

-He is deemed to suffer from hearing/learning disabilities as well as a psychiatric problem, not identified.
-Committed armed robbery with 2 underage accomplices. They scouted a passenger on a city bus and robbed the victim shortly afterward, NF apparently assaulting the victim with a firearm.
-NF's lawyer argued successfully for a reduced sentence in 2013 based on NF's lack of criminal history and apparent steps taken to improve his circumstances. Unemployed at the time of the assault, at the time of trial he was apparently gainfully self-employed, doing landscaping and snow removal work.
-In addition, he was in the process of seeking custody of his daughter, then 2 years old. I wasn't clear on whether this was full or partial custody, but it suggests that he and SH would have been separated at that time. As well, we know she had moved back in with her mother during her second pregnancy which would have been last year (so their relationship showed obvious signs of trouble on multiple occasions).

-The article also suggests significant evidence related to the murder was collected during the search of the apartment and car.

I may have missed or misinterpreted some details in translation, feel free to add, correct or clarify!

Article with comments from Samantha’s grandmother, Wendy McLeod, and girlfriend Lisa LaLonde.
(published July 15, 2015 @ 00:00, updated 7:26)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Wendy McLeod received custody of their child for almost four months during a separation between Samantha Higgins and her fiancé, Nicholas Fontanelli. [/FONT]At the birth of her first child, in summer 2011, Samantha had just turned 18. During the months and years that followed, her relationship with her partner, Nicholas Fontanelli, were difficult."

More here:
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...plus-populaires-actualites_article_ECRAN1POS3

She was an 18 year old kid when she had her daughter, her mother (I believe) was also a teen mom. There's a cycle of poverty in the area that she grew up and many of the residents in the area are low-income and have little education. I have a feeling she spent some time in foster care as a child (just a hunch based on some comments I saw on a connection between her a FB friend of mine).
In the Italian community in Montreal, sons are often coddled and protected by their mothers. Not sure if he's an only child, but if he is and he has difficulties, then chances are he's been brought up in a bubble. Sometimes these guys grow up to become pretty narcissistic and spoiled. He was probably used to getting his own way.

Article with comments from Samantha’s grandmother, Wendy McLeod, and girlfriend Lisa LaLonde.
(published July 15, 2015 @ 00:00, updated 7:26)

"Wendy McLeod received custody of their child for almost four months during a separation between Samantha Higgins and her fiancé, Nicholas Fontanelli. At the birth of her first child, in summer 2011, Samantha had just turned 18. During the months and years that followed, her relationship with her partner, Nicholas Fontanelli, were difficult."

More here:
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...plus-populaires-actualites_article_ECRAN1POS3

Hello everyone,

I almost came across this forum by accident last week when we were all looking for answers to this case. I am a resident of Lasalle and although I don't know the Higgins family directly, I can give you some insight as I have friends who are friends of the family.

With that said, all info that is coming out now about NF pretty much contradicts everything that was said about it early on. I was a part of the now famous Facebook group now dedicated to Samantha. I clearly remember early on that many were quick to come to NF's defence when some inquired as to how his and SH's relationship was. Was he violent, jealous, controlling, abusive, etc. Everyone who seemed to know him and SH said no, that he was not like that at all. Even SH's best friend went on record to say that he never gave her "bad vibes":

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/fiance-arrested-in-samantha-higgins-case-1.2467709

With that said, the boy/man obviously is not an outstanding citizen as we were once meant to believe. And it seems that everyone involved, family and friends, are extremely naive and lack good judgement.

Anyway, I'm genuinely intrigued by this case because it has hit so close to home. And I hope to be able to share any info or insight that I might have.

She was an 18 year old kid when she had her daughter, her mother (I believe) was also a teen mom. There's a cycle of poverty in the area that she grew up and many of the residents in the area are low-income and have little education.

I think you summed up my viewpoints of the family in a very politically correct way. I was part of the Facebook tribute page for Samantha and I had to leave because of all the nonsense, drama and general nativity of the family and friends. I'm not out to bash them or plant a label on them, but it's unfortunately a reality of being a product of their environment. Th

Hi Cardiac!

:welcome5:

Thanks for signing up and joining the discussion. Great commentary about NF.

In all of the early comments and reports posted about him by family and friends and then repeated in the press, NF was not thought of a possible suspect against statistical odds. I think even most of us on this forum didn't go there as there seemed to be no smoking gun :ie. Early questioning by police, house searches etc OR a history of abusive, contolling behaviour, criminal past, bad relations with in-laws etc. But now, even after the arrest, the best friend maintains that she didn't see this coming and had no anxieties about the relationship. I guess it was a split-second crime of passion that will haunt these families and friends forever.

(Personally, I think it's possible VH and her husband may have had their suspicions about NF and that they were coached by police to stay neutral. The body language in the one frame where you can see them together did not really paint the picture "united in grief".)

My first post ever to the internet. Had to share some info to this group. Just felt compelled as I grew up on the Gore Rd intersection Rockburn Side Rd. We used to take our bikes & go play under that bridge where SH remains were found. Now I live on the Chateauguay river outside of Howick. just a few Kilometres from where they searched yesterday. And in between actually went to high school & lived in Ville Lasalle.

It's all so close to home I started searching and found this forum.

I will most probably not stay on for long but feel this info is what many are asking for. Maybe I duplicate info already posted so I apologize.

La Presse has the most detailed report this morning.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...li-de-voleur-repenti-a-suspect-de-meurtre.php

My Take aways from this article: The missing persons report purportedly stated SH was drinking, NF spoke with her at 9 PM then again at 1AM & that she was staying out all night.

The couple recently got back together. They were on the verge of another breakup & that family members told the police NF was controlling.

Also they mention his previous crime for which he was under house arrest for the first year taking care if his baby girl on his own. That the case was defended using psychiatric issues as his defence & showing the court he was all better & under control after 2 years minus a day & even started his own landscaping business.

On another note...
ANother forum with info related
http://coolopolis.blogspot.ca/2015/07/arrest-made-in-murder-of-samantha.html?m=1

Please correct any errors & I hope this helps.

"Fontanelli was charged with committing an indignity to a dead body sometime between July 7 and July 9, in both Montreal and Hinchinbrooke, court documents show."

I had to register so I could address these dates- if this charge is sometime between the 7th and the 9th, in both Montreal and Hinchinbrooke, does this mean he still had possession of the body (or some part? sorry to be graphic) when he filed the missing person's report?? Why wouldn't they just say the 7th? They must have evidence to suggest it may have taken place as late as the 9th??

Hi Dd 70!

Thanks for joining us here!

And thanks also for your local knowledge.

Just a note for you and other newbies coming on board:
We have to be a little bit careful here because of the Terms of Service and so sleuthing of families is NOT allowed. That does mean that you can't sleuth on your own, it's just that we shouldn't put up links to anyone other than the victim and named POIs.

Cheers!

Charge is murder the 7th & indignity to body between 7-9th they found first body parts the 10th. So it makes sense. No?

Hi Dd 70!

Thanks for joining us here!

And thanks also for your local knowledge.

Just a note for you and other newbies coming on board:
We have to be a little bit careful here because of the Terms of Service and so sleuthing of families is NOT allowed. That does mean that you can't sleuth on your own, it's just that we shouldn't put up links to anyone other than the victim and named POIs.

Cheers!

Sorry did not completely understand that. Should I edit my post?

I've known two people with similar behaviour (& even appearance, which is interesting) as him. One was schizophrenic and one with aspergers. I have no expertise either but I'm curious.

Agree with all the above, would include FAS, also thinking crack, meth ect. imo, speculation.

Sorry did not completely understand that. Should I edit my post?

If you still have the chance to...At some point in time the ability to edit closes. But a moderator can also take care of it when they see it.
Cheers!

Charge is murder the 7th & indignity to body between 7-9th they found first body parts the 10th. So it makes sense. No?

The timeline would make sense, for sure. I'm just questioning whether that means they have evidence to suggest he didn't murder AND dismember/dump her body in the hours between her leaving the party and when he filed the missing person's report later that evening, but rather dismembered or dumped her body AFTER he filed the report but before it was found on the 10th.

:welcome5: Dd70 Glad to have you join the conversation.

I finally caught up and read all the posts here...what an awful case. I just wanted to say you guys did a great job here, and welcome to all the new members. I think this thread has some of the finest sleuthers in this community...I have to seriously wonder, are you guys smarter up there in Canada? :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back