Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elainera posted:
My thoughts go as far as to question whether the whole kidnapping was even real, or whether it was maybe different for him than for her. Did he have freedoms she didn't have? What kind of deal was offered to him at one point, which he rejected? He speaks Arabic, does Cait too? How much communication was there between him and their captors and guards that Cait only got to know through his translations? How much of his account is true, I wonder. I wish she would speak up independently of him!

YES, I have many of those^^^ same questions.

Was he a kind of Beau Bergdahl type of character, who sought out the terrorists, hoping to befriend them?

Even though they were held captive, it appears as though they had some freedoms. I have never heard of a couple, being held by the Taliban, being allowed to stay together and give birth to 4 children.
BBM

And they were allowed to receive "care packages", no less !

BBM

And they were allowed to receive "care packages", no less !

I don't know that's true? I've only seen where a relative "tried" to send a care package, never anything where they actually received one and I kind of doubt it did reach them considering there were supposedly mostly books...

These kids are going to need decades of multiple therapies. (They were in a fear state situation worse than Romanian orphanage kids and they were nutritionally deprived.) Joshua Boyle needs to drop the Taliban robe and his fake Afghani accent, put on a Maple Leafs jersey, and begin begging for his kids to be moved to the front of long lines of Canada's socialized medical system. He could also send his kids to Pennsylvania (Caitlan's home) where they'd immediately start getting treatment.

Agreed 100%, and Boyle should be in line for medical treatment as well - for a shrink. He clearly needs one.

Agreed 100%, and Boyle should be in line for medical treatment as well - for a shrink. He clearly needs one.

I think his issues are beyond a shrink. IMO he seems to have a personality disorder... evident in the chat logs his friend posted years ago in this thread. He has major issues but I don’t think he would take well to therapy because he probably thinks he is perfect and why would he need therapy? JMO

[h=2]Why he wanted to go to Afghanistan[/h]
Boyle: "I'm not sure that 'want' is really the correct word. There are things we do in life because we want to do them. I want to eat chocolate for breakfast. But there are also things we do in life because we are compelled to do them by ourselves, that we have a compulsion or because it is the right thing to do. Or we do it because we see that no one else is doing it and it needs to be done."You don't want it to be you. Nobody wants it to be them who has to step up to the plate and sacrifice and work, and take risks, even if everything works out. There is no benefit to you. You don't want that but some things we do in life."
"I'm not sure I ever did want to go to Afghanistan any more than I wanted to do other things in life. Everybody's done things they feel a calling to do, or they feel a responsibility. Or sometimes they even don't think it should be on them or that someone else should be doing this but no one else is doing it, so I guess I have to."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/freed-hostage-joshua-boyle-afghanistan-interview-1.4357341

I think his issues are beyond a shrink. IMO he seems to have a personality disorder... evident in the chat logs his friend posted years ago in this thread. He has major issues but I don’t think he would take well to therapy because he probably thinks he is perfect and why would he need therapy? JMO

Agree. Narcissists don't believe they need therapy.

He definitely seems to feel some kind of connection to there. Between him writing a book, marrying that woman with terrorism ties and then dragging his pregnant wife there for a little walkabout. There was also some talk that he had converted or was in the process of converting to Islam.

I wonder when this obsession with Afghanistan/Middle East started.

Why he wanted to go to Afghanist...-joshua-boyle-afghanistan-interview-1.4357341

Why he wanted to go to Afghanistan

Boyle: "I'm not sure that 'want' is really the correct word. There are things we do in life because we want to do them. I want to eat chocolate for breakfast. But there are also things we do in life because we are compelled to do them by ourselves, that we have a compulsion or because it is the right thing to do. Or we do it because we see that no one else is doing it and it needs to be done."You don't want it to be you. Nobody wants it to be them who has to step up to the plate and sacrifice and work, and take risks, even if everything works out. There is no benefit to you. You don't want that but some things we do in life."
"I'm not sure I ever did want to go to Afghanistan any more than I wanted to do other things in life. Everybody's done things they feel a calling to do, or they feel a responsibility. Or sometimes they even don't think it should be on them or that someone else should be doing this but no one else is doing it, so I guess I have to."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/freed-h...view-1.4357341
====================================================================================================

What does he mean by 'stepping up to the plate, and sacrifice and work?' How would he and a 7 month pregnant woman, both without funds, in the country with just backpacks, 'STEP UP TO THE PLATE?'

What do they have to offer the local people that calls for them to go to their country and 'work and sacrifice?'

He definitely seems to feel some kind of connection to there. Between him writing a book, marrying that woman with terrorism ties and then dragging his pregnant wife there for a little walkabout. There was also some talk that he had converted or was in the process of converting to Islam.

I wonder when this obsession with Afghanistan/Middle East started.

Yep I posted a couple pages back that his coworkers said he was in the process of converting and was taking time during the day for prayer. That gross beard he was rocking before captivity wasn’t a “sexy lumberjack” neckbeard look. JMO

ETA all I found on the Middle East obsession is that it started after 9/11 which is vague I also remember reading that he edited or wrote all of the Wikipedia pages on terrorism... something along those lines. Dude isn’t ok in the head IMO

Why he wanted to go to Afghanistan

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/freed-h...view-1.4357341
====================================================================================================

What does he mean by 'stepping up to the plate, and sacrifice and work?' How would he and a 7 month pregnant woman, both without funds, in the country with just backpacks, 'STEP UP TO THE PLATE?'

What do they have to offer the local people that calls for them to go to their country and 'work and sacrifice?'

Smoke and mirrors. He knows how to hide behind smart talk and grand ideals. He might even believe it himself.

Whatever else he is, the guy's a raging narcissist.

Edwards knew Boyle over the course of more than a decade, mainly through an online role-playing Star Wars game. Boyle was a “very private person,” but had a reputation in the gaming world as being both cunning in getting people to do what he wanted and generous to new players, he said.

https://www.google.com/amp/ottawaci...s-best-known-for-his-link-to-khadr-family/amp

Sidenote - it’s kind of laughable that he went from Star Wars gamer to being obsessed with the Taliban and terrorism

has anyone here read books by kidnapped persons about their ordeals? that might help answer many of the questions I've seen in this thread about care packages etc.; the negotiations over kidnapped persons can take years and move through many stages and we can't possibly expect to understand that process from the comfort of our cushy lives - yes, they are sometimes held in one-room underground holes and yes, Stockholm syndrome is a given

the victims are not thinking rationally - they have had to adjust their behaviour and thought process to a bizarre environment and so all decisions are tainted

I do think Boyle should stop talking though - he's annoying and doesn't inspire much sympathy

I would buy a book written by Caitlan but don't think I could stomach Boyle's version

I find it very problematic that he alleges that his captors murdered his baby when in fact his wife had a miscarriage. I have to wonder if perhaps there was some medical assistance at the time of the miscarriage and he is calling that "rape". I also have serious concerns with how he speaks - definitely not like a home grown Canadian, but like some sort of pretend English as a second language. Why is his wife absent in the interviews? She's a woman born in the USA with a voice, yet she doesn't use it to state whether she had a miscarriage or a life birth.

He claims that each time the family was in an airport, his children asked if that was their home. That seems absurd given that they allegedly lived in a hole so small they could not lie down, and suddenly the children think home is the size of an airport.

The man seems mentally unstable, and I sincerely hope that special attention is given to the children to ensure that their minds are not warped with the unbelievable statements from the father.

urgent care cases are moved to the 'front of the line' without begging and they will get immediate treatment if needed, without having to declare bankruptcy from the debt

These kids are going to need decades of multiple therapies. (They were in a fear state situation worse than Romanian orphanage kids and they were nutritionally deprived.) Joshua Boyle needs to drop the Taliban robe and his fake Afghani accent, put on a Maple Leafs jersey, and begin begging for his kids to be moved to the front of long lines of Canada's socialized medical system. He could also send his kids to Pennsylvania (Caitlan's home) where they'd immediately start getting treatment.

[bbm]

right, it is absurd from OUR pov ... they are trying to make sense out of a bizarre, abnormal situation
if multiple people have said to the kids - you're going home!, then I could see the kids wanting each new situation to be 'home'
btw, they didn't live in a hole the entire time

I find it very problematic that he alleges that his captors murdered his baby when in fact his wife had a miscarriage. I have to wonder if perhaps there was some medical assistance at the time of the miscarriage and he is calling that "rape". I also have serious concerns with how he speaks - definitely not like a home grown Canadian, but like some sort of pretend English as a second language. Why is his wife absent in the interviews? She's a woman born in the USA with a voice, yet she doesn't use it to state whether she had a miscarriage or a life birth.

He claims that each time the family was in an airport, his children asked if that was their home. That seems absurd given that they allegedly lived in a hole so small they could not lie down, and suddenly the children think home is the size of an airport.

The man seems mentally unstable, and I sincerely hope that special attention is given to the children to ensure that their minds are not warped with the unbelievable statements from the father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks