CAR SEAT discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, I can't catch up with you guys, and need to be up in the morning. Sorry if whatever it is I'm saying here has already been said.
Thank you, but this just makes it more confusing - did he back into / reverse park his car in the parking spot.

IIRC from the probable cause hearing - I heard stoddard (sp?) explain that he reversed his car then went forward into the parking spot. It's confusing to understand or to have the complete description because it's also suggested that it was explained he reversed his car into the parking spot. ???????

After hearing what has been on NG - this may be a moot point - have not yet seen it myself, and would like for the re-enactment to use the same seat with a person of same height to be on the same level for sight or obstruction of sight.

Did RH put his arm over the tops of the seats while he turned backwards which would maybe block the view of baby Cooper?

I know most will roll eyes or throw tomatoes, but these are questions I have, and this is an issue that I think is important that will help me to determine accident or murder.

my opinion and all that jazz :moo:
Even though my opinion does not count one way or the other for the outcome of this case - it's nice to know I can have one :seeya:
BBM
I mentioned that earlier too. a lot of people do put their arms like that when backing up, and could miss seeing him.

You're not a Rue are you?
My first thought was that she was a Donna, but I really don't think we should be trying to guess her name anyway.

Ah, good to hear.

You crack me up. "Playing" devil's advocate is a way to help see both sides of an issue. It's not roleplaying, nor does it preclude you from being "authentic". So, what is there to discuss if you have no doubts and you apparently don't want to hear anything that doesn't fall in line? Rehashing the sketchy details over and over without seeing things from another perspective gets old, imho.

Thank you for the welcome.
I don't consider what I do to be playing devil's advocate, I just post any new (or semi-new) thoughts I come up with on either side of the fence. Many people think that being on the fence means you believe the person is innocent, but I think of one side of the fence innocent, one side of it guilty and on top of it not totally convinced either way. As it is right now, I can believe a person innocent of murder could have valid/semi-valid reasons for pretty much everything the prosecution has come up with so far, but I do find it hard to believe they could all be true for one person. Because of that, I'm still waiting for that one item that makes it obvious to me that he is guilty or not guilty.
MOO

I am really disappointed in Nancy Grace, she totally blew this "reenactment" of the car seat in the vehicle! How hard is it for her producers to get the car seat right? It was not a Britex, and even more shady is the fact that they have both front seats leaning backwards. This only emphasizes inaccurately how obvious the seat really is. I guess she thinks her viewers like sensationalism as opposed to the truth!

bbm- she doesn't think it. She knows it to be true. That's why she's still there in spite of things I would say elsehwhere ;)

If you enlarge the pic below, you will see his hand on the handle of the carseat. It also shows just how close the driver's seat and carseat are- and Cooper's head was several inches above where Mr Duffy's hand is. Mr Duffy seems much thinner than RH, imo. Maybe a tweeter will ask him his height & weight

View attachment 54650
http://twitter.com/producerduffy/media

It is the wrong brand and model of car seat. He was in an infant seat, that is quite lower. Plus they dishonestly leaned both front seats back a lot, from my experience only gangbangers drive in that position and I do not know anyone "law abiding" that does.

If you enlarge the pic below, you will see his hand on the handle of the carseat. It also shows just how close the driver's seat and carseat are- and Cooper's head was several inches above where Mr Duffy's hand is. You can also see the back of the seat extends over the middle console. Mr Duffy seems much thinner than RH, imo. Maybe a tweeter will ask him his height & weight

View attachment 54650
Thanks for posting the pic. I enlarged it and also watched NG. There imo is no way JH didn't see Cooper.... he couldn't have missed seeing his child.
Such a heinous crime.

If you enlarge the pic below, you will see his hand on the handle of the carseat. It also shows just how close the driver's seat and carseat are- and Cooper's head was several inches above where Mr Duffy's hand is. You can also see the back of the seat extends over the middle console. Mr Duffy seems much thinner than RH, imo. Maybe a tweeter will ask him his height & weight

View attachment 54650
I really don't see how RH and Cooper weren't touching right shoulder to head. RH has wider shoulders than this man. Heck I think my shoulders might be wider... Nothing against this handsome guy! I just have really wide shoulders. I'm pretty sure I'd feel a little claustrophobic in that vehicle. Even a Volkswagen bug seems to have more space. I had a RAV 4 but no car seats and no leg room! My kids were like 9 & 10 their knees were constantly knocking my seat. Drove me nuts!
I'd have a black and blue elbow from driving Ross' car with a car seat in it!

I do think that RH seat would have been leaned way back. The man is 6' 2" and over 250# he has a belly he'd have to be back to steer. I have really long legs. My husband is 6' 3" and our seat setting is the same. I'm only 5' 8 1/2". He does lean the seat back more than me.
All posts are MOO. Sent via Insignia Flex Tablet.

It is the wrong brand and model of car seat. He was in an infant seat, that is quite lower. Plus they dishonestly leaned both front seats back a lot, from my experience only gangbangers drive in that position and I do not know anyone "law abiding" that does.

1. I taped her show. It is an awful cut from her to him. She states Mommy wanted a Britax- then cuts to Mr. Duffy's piece. I need to find the link again to Leanna's wish list- as I think the one she wanted is the bigger FF seat (not sure).

In a compact crossover SUV- the seat moved back is past the door line- into the back seat

The seats lean back in that Tucson:

http://images.newcars.com/images/ca...son-SUV-GL-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Interior.png

I really don't see how RH and Cooper weren't touching right shoulder to head. RH has wider shoulders than this man. Heck I think my shoulders might be wider... Nothing against this handsome guy! I just have really wide shoulders. I'm pretty sure I'd feel a little claustrophobic in that vehicle. Even a Volkswagen bug seems to have more space. I had a RAV 4 but no car seats and no leg room! My kids were like 9 & 10 their knees were constantly knocking my seat. Drove me nuts!
I'd have a black and blue elbow from driving Ross' car with a car seat in it!

(I know that there are a lot of people who are more sensitive than myself, and that you may be reacting on emotion so I am not questioning your intelligence.) But how do you not realize that the front seats in this demonstration are leaning past the front/back seat dividers? Also how do you not realize that this is an upright seat as opposed to an infant seat that lays somewhat level?

I really believe this was all an intentional act on his part, but really I wanted to see the truth. Nancy Grace is intentionally misleading viewers. They say that they are using the car seat that was on Leanna's Amazon wishlist and show that it is model "Britax Roundabout G4 Convertible Car Seat" that they are using. Then they show a car seat in that car which is NOT that model! That model does NOT have a handle.

1. I taped her show. It is an awful cut from her to him- and very unclear. She states Mommy wanted a Britax- then cuts to Mr. Duffy's piece. I need to find the link again to Leanna's wish list- as I think the one she wanted is the bigger FF seat (not sure)

The seats lean back in that Tucson:

View attachment 54654

I have it recorded also. Word for word... "We performed an experiment with the car seat that we have now identified that mommy wanted off a wishlist. We found it on her Amazon wish list. Its a Britex. Look at what we found" Then they show a picture of the Roundabout G4 which is an upright toddler seat. Then they go to the car and show an entirely different car seat!

(I know that there are a lot of people who are more sensitive than myself, and that you may be reacting on emotion so I am not questioning your intelligence.) But how do you not realize that the front seats in this demonstration are leaning past the front/back seat dividers? Also how do you not realize that this is an upright seat as opposed to an infant seat that lays somewhat level?

I really believe this was all an intentional act on his part, but really I wanted to see the truth. Nancy Grace is intentionally misleading viewers. They say that they are using the car seat that was on Leanna's Amazon wishlist and show that it is model "Britax Roundabout G4 Convertible Car Seat" that they are using. Then they show a car seat in that car which is NOT that model! That model does NOT have a handle.
I can see the seats are leaned back. Doesn't matter what brand of car seat to me. After looking online and seeing people post about how they can reach their child from the front seat it's pretty snug in there. I think it's fair to say that with any rear facing seat in place a child could not pass or walk between between Cooper and dad.

There will be a reenactment that is exactly right, I hope I can see that one, but I bet it won't be televised, or held in Cobb County. Maybe it will come to my county!!! Then I can go!

Just watched the carseat reenactment on NG. Wow, a picture, or video, in this case, IS truly worth a thousand words!

- That is a tiny vehicle, much smaller than I imagined, front and back seats are really close

- The carseat protrudes into the front area more than I imagined

- The stuffed animal's head sticks up over the top of the carseat a LOT more than I imagined

IMO, there is NO WAY he didn't see Cooper!!! Somebody (sorry I forgot who) posted earlier that the carseat is right there, and ITA, it's RIGHT THERE. In that little tiny space, how could you NOT see it?! Don't even get me started on his hearing loss in one ear...ok, so what if he is deaf in one ear, or heck, even both ears...you don't need to hear to SEE and probably FEEL the carseat right next to you! WTF?! This was NO ACCIDENT! He left that baby in there to die a horrible death. imo, moo...

Ok, waaay past my bedtime, luckily I don't have to work tomorrow, or rather later this morning.

I can see the seats are leaned back. Doesn't matter what brand of car seat to me. After looking online and seeing people post about how they can reach their child from the front seat it's pretty snug in there. I think it's fair to say that with any rear facing seat in place a child could not pass or walk between between Cooper and dad.

There will be a reenactment that is exactly right, I hope I can see that one, but I bet it won't be televised, or held in Cobb County. Maybe it will come to my county!!! Then I can go!

The seats are leaned back to make it look snugger than it possibly really is. I am just outraged. Can you tell? I feel manipulated to condemn someone, and I do condemn this man because I do feel he did this intentionally. But I dont like that someone is willing to manipulate facts and sway people by emotion. Its insulting.

The seats are shaped funny, and they are all tilted: and he would have had to recline the back somewhat to fit. My husband is shorter (6'0") but big, and has the seat all the way & somewhat reclined

Interior-del-Hyundai-Tucson-2011.jpg

My 17 year old is 6'2 and he has to slide the seat plus tilt it when he drives. He is a lot thinner and our car is different, but he has to do it in any car he drives.

I don't think it will matter if his texting excuse is entered as a defense. There is too much evidence to support that the car seat was so close and that Cooper was too big for the seat. No way to forget with Cooper that close.The interior of the car is smaller than one would think.
\

Ok: Found her wishlist: That car seat was "Added January 26, 2014". It has no baby handle, like the one Mr. Duffy used. I think we may be dealing with a bad edit during the show- but he used a different style seat than what is on her wish list. Maybe one of our WS members who tweet can ask him what model car seat he used?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=cm_wl_search_4?ie=UTF8&cid=A16PXQ9Y9GBLJQ

I don't think it matters if the car seat is the same exact one. It's just an illustration. The reason the car seat in the example has a handle is because it's an "infant" seat (like the Cooper was in). Convertible seats (like what he SHOULD have been in) don't have handles, because the toddler is too big to be carrying with the handle.

I have a Subaru Forester and my mother in law has a Hyundai Tucson. They are almost identical in size. My husband is 6'4" and quite big. When he drives my car, he always puts the seat back (drives me crazy). So I don't think it's too far off for this example to show the seat like this. Another thing, even if JRH has hearing loss in his right ear - big deal. He's in a small car. He can still HEAR his child 2" away from him.

My take on the position of the drivers side car seat, is that it is pretty far back, although it does not look like it's leaning. If you look at the back door, if one wanted to sit in the back seat, they would have a pretty hard time -- not much room back there.

With Harris being a big guy, he most likely had the seat as far back as it would go. My DH is 6'2" and he does the same thing. I'm 5'8", so when I get into the drivers seat, I always have to move the chair forward.

Here's a picture with the car door open. He would have to be pretty close to Cooper just the way the seat is positioned.

JMOO

Mel

Attachments

• car1.png
    car1.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 213
I am really disappointed in Nancy Grace, she totally blew this "reenactment" of the car seat in the vehicle! How hard is it for her producers to get the car seat right? It was not a Britex, and even more shady is the fact that they have both front seats leaning backwards. This only emphasizes inaccurately how obvious the seat really is. I guess she thinks her viewers like sensationalism as opposed to the truth!

IMO, they like witch hunting and sensationalism.

Even Stoddard said the seat was 6 inches back.

I don't even understand why we are allowed to discuss anything she says.

I don't think it will matter if his texting excuse is entered as a defense. There is too much evidence to support that the car seat was so close and that Cooper was too big for the seat. No way to forget with Cooper that close.The interior of the car is smaller than one would think.
\

I personally agree, but there was a defense attorney claiming that something similiar to the sexting had happened to him and led to his divorce and he claimed that when men were involved in that all thoughts were on that--apparently if all the blood is going down there none is left in the brain to do anything but the most basic of automatic functions. (my summary of his comments) Couldn't believe he actually went there but he did!:gaah:

His hearing is a non issue. Unless he was blind there is no believable reason that he did not SEE Cooper in his car seat. All three times that he had the opportunity to do so that day.

You could tell me that he was completely deaf in both ears and It would still be not be even remotely believable that he didn't see him.

:doughboy: saw cooper. He didn't need to hear him to see him.

moo

He turns to acknowledge the person speaking to him just like any other person does. imo

Does a hearing aid always improve hearing?

And I was not saying the defense should use it. <mod snip>

Being deaf in one ear does not make it so he couldn't hear his son. My brother had three children and was deaf in one ear and it was never an issue. What I would love to see is this defendant trying to use the deaf ear, the blind eye, the non-smelling nose and the non-working penis as excuses for killing his son. The jury will turn a deaf ear on that, I can tell you.

I am not an expert on hearing aids, but yes, I believe that they usually improve hearing if used correctly. The exception being if someone is completely deaf from birth. Then I believe they would benefit more from cochlear implants. But if he was deaf from birth, we would have known about it, I am sure. From my recollection, it happened during childhood sometime, from a bottle rocket accident. I think it's likely there was some hearing left and thus a hearing aid would be helpful.

Ok some commentary on the hearing issue. As I have stated before I am very nearly deaf. I have only 20% of my hearing in my left ear and no hearing at all in my right ear. I have been told to buy two hearing aids by my audiologists in the past but they are freakin' expensive and not covered by health insurance. Only recently did we have an insurance company that even partially covered it. Hearing aids can cost about $4000 a piece so that's why I just said screw it on the right ear, I'll get along with my left.

Some points to consider with the hearing aid.

• Hearing loss varies wildly and is really unpredictable. I get very annoyed when people suggest that I'm exaggerating my hearing loss just because I can sometimes hear someone standing on the other side of the room but not hear the person speaking right in front of me. So there's not really any reason to discuss "how" RH actually heard because it is completely unpredictable.
  • The fact that his friend was used to talking to him in his right ear signifies to me that he really did have a hearing loss. It took me forever to get friends to understand this and the fact that his friend was "used to it" shows that it's been an issue for a long enough time for people to get used to it.
  • Men strangely, are very unwilling to get hearing aids. It's something I have noticed over the years. Even older veterans who would get it for free just refuse to get them. You would think that I as an young woman would have been worried about my looks more than men in their 70s but it doesn't seem to be the case. I think for men they feel like it makes them look "weak" or "lame" or "old" But him not having a hearing aid doesn't surprise me at all.

Now to the reality of his hearing being an issue. As I have stated before, RH never experienced Cooper without having hearing loss. He didn't have to "adjust" to dealing with Cooper because of his hearing loss. IOW you acclimate easily to it if it's what you've always known. So IMO his hearing loss is irrelevant. But obviously they are going to bring it up so here's some more points to consider.

• He would have "heard" Cooper in the car in his LEFT ear. What's weird about hearing loss IMO is that I can't always pinpoint where a sound is coming from because it registers in my left ear. So for example, if I don't have my hearing aid in, I can't tell when someone is calling me from a distance where the sound is originating. This has led to me often walking in front of buses and not hearing them on my right side until the driver lays on the horn. I am super mindful about crossing the street when I don't have it in and have really almost gotten hit many times.
  • This means in an enclosed space like the interior of a car he would have heard Cooper in his left ear all the time. So to suggest he wouldn't have heard Cooper just because the ear closest to him wasn't working is a bunch of BS.
  • The use of the phone. People are very confused because I can easily hear on the phone, albeit with the sound turned all the way up. I can talk on the phone because the sound is amplified. I never use a hearing aid on the phone and do just fine. People are often surprised when they meet me after spending months talking on the phone with me in chatty conversation, to find I struggle to hear them in person.
  • For example I have to bring in a second teacher for the classes I teach whenever there is a "group discussion" because I simply can't run that part of the class. I can't hear a group of people talking in a discussion. But I can talk on the phone easily. Phones have amplifiers in them. Again his using the phone is completely normal for someone with a hearing problem. People confuse this all the time.

Finally, vibrations are how we hear. Sound waves are "vibrations" not "noises." Here's a game you can do right now to understand it. Take a wire or metal coat hanger and tie two pieces of yarn to the ends of it. (this is a fun thing to do with kids btw) Pick up the ends of the string and wrap them around your fingers. Now stand next to a table or chair and bang the dangling hanger on it. You will hear a "clattering" sound. Now put the tips of your finger in your ears. Make sure the string is wrapped around it but you don't need to put the string in your ears. Lean forward and let the dangling hanger hit the table again. When you do you will hear a sound like a Chinese Gong! It's really amazing.

This is because sound travels better through a solid than it does through the air. You can do an easier experiment of this just by tapping on your desk top and listening and then laying your ear on the desk and tapping again. Remember when you used to let your fingers walk up the side of a bath tub when you were taking a bath as a kid? Same idea.

This is important because he would have felt the movements of Cooper in the car seat. And even if Cooper was making noises in the car seat and he was completely deaf, the vibrations would have traveled through the car seat into his seat.

IMPORTANT He sat in the car with it turned off for 30 seconds, so no distractions of the hum of the vehicle. I am telling you that it's impossible that if Cooper was awake and even moving, that he wouldn't have "heard" him in the car.

Sorry so long. :blushing::moo:

Link demonstrating the hanger experiment.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kogrange/sound_experiments2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members