Cases That Haunt You

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Shelley K Sikes is the one case that really haunts me.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sikes_shelley.html

Imagine a nice young girl driving her Pinto home from work late at night on the Galveston causeway. Some PCP crazed loon drives alongside her and starts harassing her, and she makes the fatal mistake of giving him the finger. He runs her off the road, and she is completely helpless with her car stuck in the mud as the PCP psycho breaks her car window, drags her away and rapes and murders her and she is never seen again.

The last moments of her life must have been worse that your worst possible nightmare.

This is the kind of thing you see in those bad 1980's slasher movies.

Northeastern Oklahoma's 1999 Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible kidnapping and presumed murder:

The thread's been on WS since August 2004 - the crimes were committed on 30 December 1999, less than five years earlier - and, in total, up to this point, we've had only 29 posts. The two girls named below need your help.

The case involves the disappearance from rural Welch OK of those two girls, both sixteen years old: Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman. Ashley had just turned 16 on 29 December, the day before she was kidnapped. Both girls were almost certainly murdered a short time after their kidnapping. Ashley's mom and stepdad - Kathy and Danny Freeman - were killed that night, shot dead in their trailer home, which was then burned to the ground.

This case has a bit of everything. Danny Freeman was initially suspected of the murders - until his body was found in the burned home, not by LE but by Lauria's father. Ashley's brother, Shane, had, the year before, been shot and killed by OK LE under circumstances which remain unclear. Many in the area feel that that death may have set into motion the events of the night of 30 December 1999, as do members and friends of the Freeman family. Some members of Lauria Bible's family, however, feel that Danny Freeman's alleged marijuana dealing was the root cause of the crimes.

In addition, a convicted felon (and a suspected serial killer), Jeremy Jones, in effect admitted to having participated in the Freeman/Bible crime after his capture for a murder committed in Alabama, for which he has been convicted. He lived not far from Welch when these crimes occurred, and had been born and raised in NE OK. Though he had an intimate knowledge of the region and was involved in drugs, Jones has never given convincing evidence of his involvement in the Freeman/Bible case, and the timeline for that fatal night all but eliminates him as a suspect. Another convicted killer, Tommy Lynn Sells, has admitted involvement, though again without providing unique evidence to support his claim.

DeAnna Dorsey, who assisted the Freeman family the night of the crime and whose daughter was a friend of Ashley, appeared on the pilot of a television show about the case in 2001 and, a short time later, was shot to death by a patient in Vinita OK, at her job at Eastern State Hospital, which housed convicted Oklahoma felons with severe mental impairments. Many in the area feel that Ms. Dorsey's death was tied to the Freeman/Bible case.

There are many angles to work on here and more than enough to set one's hinky-meter on high alert. It's a case both fascinating and macabre. We need sleuthers! For over ten years, this crime has gone unsolved. Those of us who know the case dread that the next time we read of it in the press will be on the 20th anniversary of a cold case, still unsolved - but not unsolvable. Two girls - Lauria and Ashley - have never been seen since a cold winter's night over ten years ago. We need to bring them home.[/I]

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11146&page=2

Jacob Wetterling
Jeanna North, though it's known what happened to her
Susan Reinert and her children
Joan, Michelle, and Christe Rogers, murdered by Oba Chandler
Amy Bradley

Wesley Dale Morgan - Missing since 2001
2 year old that "went missing" while playing with puppies on his front porch.
Rural Louisiana town, about 20 minutes from me.

Mother has been suspected of selling Wesley since it happened but never found any proof on her.

Mother was later charged with trying to sell another child in 2008 to a married couple for $2,000.00.
Charges dropped in that case.

What haunts me is, where is Wesley today? Who did she sell him to?
How does a mother in a very rural town even have connections to sell a baby? Was this drug related? Trafficking?

So many unanswered questions.

Brianna Maitland
The Bennett Family murders in Aurora Colorado
JonBenet Ramsey
Maura Murray

This is a great thread...just wanted to bump it up because there are so many stories here that I had never heard of. Some of the cases that haunt me: JBR, Lyle Stevik, Greatful Dead Fan. To be honest, every story I read here haunts me and affects me.

Reading through these threads on this site makes me realize how much all these stories bother me. All these people and children, no matter how long ago they were here-walked, breathed, ate and loved just like we all do now.

I do have some that stick with me on an emotional level more than others:

1. Dean Marie Pyle Peters-14 years old, vanished from a school event on 02/05/1981. It just baffles me how she disappeared from a place we see as a safe zone for our kids. I have always felt in my heart that someone took her who was watching her or she was involved in a hit and run accident. I run her website www.freewebs.com/find_dean_marie and I think of her everyday, hoping she will be found.

2. Jacob Wetterling-I think he was 11 years old, missing since October 1989, abducted at gun point when biking home with his friends. His case is local to me, and the strength and tenacity of his mother always keeps his case going.

3. Jodi Huisentruit-a news anchor abducted from her apartment on her way to work while unlocking her car. I have always thought some creep who watched her on the news became obsessed with her and took her.

4. Beverly Potts-10 years old, missing in the 1950's. It's assume she was abducted on her way home from the park. I still can't believe no one saw her get abducted. There was over 1500 people at the park that night. I am reading the book about her, and it is awfully good.

5. Mikelle Biggs-a girl missing from Arizona. Her and her sister thought they heard an ice cream truck, ran to see it. Her sister went to get her sweater, and when she came back, Mikelle was gone.

6. Michaela Garecht-Abducted when she tried to get her scooter back from an unknown man outside of the Rainbow store.

7. Amy Billig-17 years old, rumored to have been abducted by a motorcycle gang, but sometimes I wonder...

8.Rachel Mellon Skemp-Disappeared from her home when she stayed home sick. I am positive her stepfather did it, police have assumed that as well for years. It blows my mind that her case isn't solved yet-it should be!

9.Anna Waters-missing January 16, 1972 from Half Moon Bay at 6 years old. She went outside to play and hasnt been seen since. I wonder if she was kidnapped to be raised by someone else or to be in an illegal adoption. Beautiful child. A book about her just came out: Searching for Anna by Michaele Benedict.

10. Amy Sue Pagnac-Vanished at Holiday gas station when her father went inside to use the restroom. She was 13 years old on this August 1989 day.. There was a positive sighting of her in Minneapolis the next day. It's believed she was kidnapped.

I would love to see resolution in all these cases-it would make me one happy person. Of course, there are so many more that I think about.....majorie west, tara calico and the photos, the real indentity of sharon marshall, kellie marie brownlee, both the kimberly doss girls, stephanie crane, cherrie mahan......

Though a newbie to WS, I've followed missing person cases for years now. The idea anyone can just vanish from the face of the earth ... I can't even fathom the pain & horror those families live with every day.

Already mentioned, but mine are

Johnny Gosch
Eugene Martin
Jacob Wetterling
Jodi Huisentruit
Brian Shaffer
Joshua Guimond

& Tara Calico The picture of the young woman & the boy in the van has haunted me ever since I saw it years ago. I just never felt it was staged. Even if that girl wasn't Tara, who was she ??? Who was that poor boy ???

If I recall correctly, Brian Shaffer was out with friends the night he disappeared. Apparently, they were less than forthcoming with the police. I do believe they know far more than they told. It was heartbreaking to hear his father died without ever finding his son.

You have all listed cases I'd never even heard about and I've now looked up several of them. Some of them, to be honest, I wish I hadn't checked them out. It's shocking to realize just how many unsolved cases there have been over the years. I also read the Doe Network and will be adding the Charley Project to my list. What may be even more disturbing are the cases with the unclaimed, unidentified bodies. Especially the children. How is it possible there is no one to claim these children?

I guess the best we can do is remain a voice for justice. Even if only a few are able to be resolved ... well, it's something. My prayers are with all these victims & their families.

Mine are the possibly related cases of:
Laney Gwinner,
Carrie Culberson
Heather Teague
Kristina Porco
Shaylene Farrell
Regina Renee Cox
Erica Lee Frayshure

Reading through these threads on this site makes me realize how much all these stories bother me. All these people and children, no matter how long ago they were here-walked, breathed, ate and loved just like we all do now.

I do have some that stick with me on an emotional level more than others:

1. Dean Marie Pyle Peters-14 years old, vanished from a school event on 02/05/1981. It just baffles me how she disappeared from a place we see as a safe zone for our kids. I have always felt in my heart that someone took her who was watching her or she was involved in a hit and run accident. I run her website www.freewebs.com/find_dean_marie and I think of her everyday, hoping she will be found.

2. Jacob Wetterling-I think he was 11 years old, missing since October 1989, abducted at gun point when biking home with his friends. His case is local to me, and the strength and tenacity of his mother always keeps his case going.

3. Jodi Huisentruit-a news anchor abducted from her apartment on her way to work while unlocking her car. I have always thought some creep who watched her on the news became obsessed with her and took her.

4. Beverly Potts-10 years old, missing in the 1950's. It's assume she was abducted on her way home from the park. I still can't believe no one saw her get abducted. There was over 1500 people at the park that night. I am reading the book about her, and it is awfully good.

5. Mikelle Biggs-a girl missing from Arizona. Her and her sister thought they heard an ice cream truck, ran to see it. Her sister went to get her sweater, and when she came back, Mikelle was gone.

6. Michaela Garecht-Abducted when she tried to get her scooter back from an unknown man outside of the Rainbow store.

7. Amy Billig-17 years old, rumored to have been abducted by a motorcycle gang, but sometimes I wonder...

8.Rachel Mellon Skemp-Disappeared from her home when she stayed home sick. I am positive her stepfather did it, police have assumed that as well for years. It blows my mind that her case isn't solved yet-it should be!

9.Anna Waters-missing January 16, 1972 from Half Moon Bay at 6 years old. She went outside to play and hasnt been seen since. I wonder if she was kidnapped to be raised by someone else or to be in an illegal adoption. Beautiful child. A book about her just came out: Searching for Anna by Michaele Benedict.

10. Amy Sue Pagnac-Vanished at Holiday gas station when her father went inside to use the restroom. She was 13 years old on this August 1989 day.. There was a positive sighting of her in Minneapolis the next day. It's believed she was kidnapped.

I would love to see resolution in all these cases-it would make me one happy person. Of course, there are so many more that I think about.....majorie west, tara calico and the photos, the real indentity of sharon marshall, kellie marie brownlee, both the kimberly doss girls, stephanie crane, cherrie mahan......
Deanie Pyle Peters is another one that has stuck with me...is there anything new on that case at all?

Shondra May, who was abducted, raped, murdered and found hogtied in a creek in 1986. Her murderer has never been found. She has a thread on Cold Cases. Very personal to me because I was her counselor in high school when she was abducted. Think of her every day.

Maura Murray
Grateful Dead fan Jason Doe

Pinkie Davis-Herron, missing
Arlin Henderson, missing
Bianca Piper, missing
Ashley Parlier, missing
Clova Keyes & Antwain Carmouche, murdered. Surviving witnesses, no arrests/convictions.

Charges Filed in 2004 Double Murder

"An arrest warrant was signed Tuesday afternoon by Calhoun County prosecutors for Elliott Patterson, 31, of Battle Creek in the shooting deaths March 13, 2004, of Clova Keyes, 20, and Antwain Carmouche, 17.

Patterson is charged in the warrant with two counts of open murder and a count of assault with intent to murder in the wounding of Eric Wazner, 24, of Battle Creek. Patterson also is charged with weapons violations and being a habitual offender.

"Thank God, after all these years I am so happy something is being done," said Dawanda Boyd, mother of Carmouche. "I was always confident that one day this is going to be solved. It is showing that the Battle Creek Police Department is doing their job. It might take a long time."

I live in TN and the Tabith Tutors case always haunts me. She disappeared on my anniversary. Also the Leigh Ann Greene case, we were close in age when she disappeared. She also disappeared near where my father lived and so the location was familiar to me.

Hard to imagine they both just disappeared into thin air.

OK, great thread here. Three cases that stay on my mind are:

Eva Debruhl
Kyle Fleischmann
Zahra Baker

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham - missing from Dallas, Texas since April 1989
LeeAnna Warner
Princess Blue (unidentified female) - Located in Manvel, Texas on September 10, 1990
Jason Doe AKA Grateful Dead Fan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warsovika
Back