Casey's Body Language and Reactionary Comments#3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am pretty sure I read in the beginning of the sociopath-next door book something about gesturing and hand movement, but am still looking. Will post a direct quote if and when I find it....

Found what I was looking for (but not in book)...

Could possibly refer to her repeated hand movements (thought/mental small packages)?

Another extremely interesting study had to do with the way psychopaths move their hands when they speak. Hand movement can tell researchers a lot about what are called "thought units." The studies indicate that psychopaths' thoughts and ideas are organized into small mental packages. This is handy for lying, but makes dealing with an overall, coherent, integrated complex of deep thoughts virtually impossible.

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopath.htm

Sociopaths have fear, for themselves.

My husband's nephew is a diagnosed sociopath. He bawls every time he wants something or gets in trouble. His parents and grandfather always think he's learned his lesson and is truly sorry. I gotta admit, it can be convincing, and even I, the cynical unrelated-by-blood family member, have been sucked in by it before.

I honestly don't think it is an act. I think sociopaths can have extremely stong feelings and can feel lots of fear...for themselves. IIRC, Ted Bundy was weak kneed and in tears as the days counted down to his execution.

Sociopaths don't feel empathy for others.

In the video of the hearing I didn't see KC feeling bad because of any concern over what Caylee went through. She was livid and in tears because the mean prosecutor called her a killer and her lawyers didn't make him stop. She was picking at herself and grimacing because she was being forced to sit and listen.

imo

For a moment on Friday morning, I also thought she might be medicated. I was at work and had a 9:30 client coming in so knew I was not going to be able to watch hearing online, but logged into WS reading current thread waiting on client arrival. Someone posted that a particular feed had started and I clicked on it. Whoever's feed it was, it was a closeup shot of KC from waist up.

I watched about 5 minutes (until client arrived) and the whole time, she was staring in a deadpan gaze at the desk.....nothing moving. Even watched for blinking, which occurred rarely....it was like she was somewhere else. I wondered then if she was medicated.....then I had to go, and have only seen videotaped footage since.

So maybe? maybe not???
I have wondered if she is on meds too. When she learned of Caylee's remains being found, she probably saw how easy it is to get medication in jail (she got that zanax pretty quickly). Since then, I wouldn't be surprised if she has asked the Doc for something for depression. She did look blank for most of the hearing. But, she has also looked blank, to me, at other times when she should have looked upset (when she was arrested, when the state discussed releasing the autopsy reports in court, etc..). If she is on medication, I would hate to see how she would have acted Friday without any.

I have wondered if she is on meds too. When she learned of Caylee's remains being found, she probably saw how easy it is to get medication in jail (she got that zanax pretty quickly). Since then, I wouldn't be surprised if she has asked the Doc for something for depression. She did look blank for most of the hearing. But, she has also looked blank, to me, at other times when she should have looked upset (when she was arrested, when the state discussed releasing the autopsy reports in court, etc..). If she is on medication, I would hate to see how she would have acted Friday without any.

Hmmm...wonder if something like that would show as a charge on her commissary billing? I know there are daily charges, but are inmates charged for medications??? (Say for instance, like they are itemized on a hospital bill)

There was mention of "preening" at that site as well. Something that has always fascinated me about Casey is the continual stroking of her hair, touching her face and picking at her clothes. I wonder if she has OCD?

I noticed the same thing. She couldn't leave her hair alone. Maybe it was just a nervous tic kind of thing. At any rate, it was annoying and very distracting.

In the absence of paperwork to "read", pens to "twirl", and any other suitable "distraction", KC has nothing else to use to "self soothe" than herself. Hair, wrinkles in clothing, tears, imaginary itches, etc... she is forced to create her own distractions. Not to sound snarky, but a lump of playdough would go far with this defendant.

Hmmm...wonder if something like that would show as a charge on her commissary billing? I know there are daily charges, but are inmates charged for medications??? (Say for instance, like they are itemized on a hospital bill)
Nope, no medication charges (there usually are no charges for inmates) will show up. There would be medical records on her, but those are kept private.

When I listen for KC in the audio of ...I hearMr. Ashton speaking. I do not hear "Can I sob now?" I hear "can you make it stop now?". Just me and my plain ears.

I see the hair smoothing self-soothing esteem sensitivity. She always has had to look good as she is an extension of her parents. It is the expectation in this family, that shes needs to perform to be recognized. Since she couldn't/wouldn't actually perform, she created the illusion of performance or accomplishments (like dressing in work attire every day when she left the house). The skin/clothing picking could actually be another form of self soothing. A very primative part of the brain responds to the hair stroking, and preening are much like apes do with each other when they pick off the lice from their mate's fur. It is in the nurturing part of relationship when we can help each other stroking, holding, and reassuring. KC is in a very lonely place right now and has no one she can be in relationship with - therefore, she is self-soothing and protecting. I still believe the wrist grab was in reaction to JA's saying how Caylee was restrained.

For a moment on Friday morning, I also thought she might be medicated. I was at work and had a 9:30 client coming in so knew I was not going to be able to watch hearing online, but logged into WS reading current thread waiting on client arrival. Someone posted that a particular feed had started and I clicked on it. Whoever's feed it was, it was a closeup shot of KC from waist up.

I watched about 5 minutes (until client arrived) and the whole time, she was staring in a deadpan gaze at the desk.....nothing moving. Even watched for blinking, which occurred rarely....it was like she was somewhere else. I wondered then if she was medicated.....then I had to go, and have only seen videotaped footage since.

So maybe? maybe not???

That's along the lines of what I noticed. Just some changes in Casey. She's statue like and more lifeless than before. I was thinking maybe an antipsychotic since it was said at one time that she is bipolar. She'd still probably have some telling body language though.

****Respectfully snipped ***

I would be looking in those files left on the table. Sorry, I just like to be well informed, and if they leave me with their files . . . . well, that's their mistake.

Preening
Preening
is a common action as the person brushes their hair and clothes, figuratively making themselves look more attractive and sending the signal 'Aren't I beautiful!' This is thus says 'Please like me' and may be a romantic invitation, a signal of superiority or indicate feelings of vulnerability.

Picking at bits of fluff clothes often shows disapproval as the person figuratively picks apart your argument.

She also did this at the police station the day she was arrested the last time on video, alone in the room.

I might be the only one, but I think her tears and reactions were genuine.

Genuine what, I don't know.

- What have I done?
- Everyone will know. My parents will know.
- Everyone will hate me.
- All of my friends are looking at this.
- I look like crap, my skin's gray, they won't gimme a flat iron, damn them.
(snipped with respect)

Just got done showing my old man the clip and this was pretty much his take...but he thinks she was crying, not sobbing, for herself.

One thing he did add...about her "make him stop" comment...
"yeah, it will stop Casey, when they give you the needle and then you will be judged all over again." He did have a few more adjectives for her that I cannot repeat here.

That's along the lines of what I noticed. Just some changes in Casey. She's statue like and more lifeless than before. I was thinking maybe an antipsychotic since it was said at one time that she is bipolar. She'd still probably have some telling body language though.

To me she looked as though she had not slept in a couple of days. Dark circles and swollen under the eyes. Puffy would be a better description. Having to wear that wrinkled green blouse probably didn't do much for her self-image. I do believe that the prosecutor struck a nerve within KC with his words but it also induced a reveal in her that she knows they've got the scenario wrong. At the mention of the duct tape and drug given to Caylee, she began to shake her head in defiance and scrunched up her mouth, puffed up her chest and leaned back in her chair as though she was going to say something in defense of what he was saying. Dead give-away to me that she knows the evidence is there but the chronological events are probably off. Irregardless, she revealed she knew how it went and the State has it out of order. She's her own worst enemy and to think it's only just begun.

snip

on a previous thread some of us were wondering if she could be remembering someone (potentially Caylee) being bound or restrained at the wrists, or just picturing such a thing because of the description Mr Ashton was giving, or who knows, if she was even remembering being bound at the wrists or grabbed by the wrists herself, or whatever.

I'm very interested in reading this discussion where people were wondering if KC was remembering being bound or grabbed by the wrists, but I'm unable to find it.

Could you please point me to the thread?

TIA

Thank you, Wenwe and JBean. I see the discussion of whether it might be KC remembering Caylee grabbing her wrist in her last moments, but don't see discussion of KC being bound at the wrist.

I thought perhaps there was a reference to an incidence of KC being restrained or bound that I'm unaware of.

KC grabbing her wrist at the hearing really struck me and I'm trying to find everything 'wrist-related' lol. Oh the things we search for in this case!!! lol

ETA: Does anyone know of any incidents in which KC was restrained by her wrists?

She was handcuffed each time she was taken to jail.

I see the hair smoothing self-soothing esteem sensitivity. She always has had to look good as she is an extension of her parents. It is the expectation in this family, that shes needs to perform to be recognized. Since she couldn't/wouldn't actually perform, she created the illusion of performance or accomplishments (like dressing in work attire every day when she left the house). The skin/clothing picking could actually be another form of self soothing. A very primative part of the brain responds to the hair stroking, and preening are much like apes do with each other when they pick off the lice from their mate's fur. It is in the nurturing part of relationship when we can help each other stroking, holding, and reassuring. KC is in a very lonely place right now and has no one she can be in relationship with - therefore, she is self-soothing and protecting. I still believe the wrist grab was in reaction to JA's saying how Caylee was restrained.

ITA- I have thought since "day one" that she's probably a self soother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back