Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: that's not incorrect grammar/spelling... :waitasec:

i think it should be 2 words unless used as an adjective...

everyday
One entry found.

Main Entry:
ev·ery·day Listen to the pronunciation of everyday Listen to the pronunciation of everyday
Pronunciation:
\ˈev-rē-ˌdā, ˌev-re-ˈ\
Function:
adjective
Date:
circa 1623

: encountered or used routinely or typically : ordinary <everyday clothes>

— ev·ery·day·ness Listen to the pronunciation of everydayness \-&#712;d&#257;-n&#601;s\ noun

Having searched a little for the journal (unsuccessfully, I might add :banghead:), I offer the following two observations:

1. Most of the journals one can buy on the market today were published before June, 2003. Thus, if the journal publication date does turn out to be older than that date, we still cannot rule it out as being a recent purchase. If the publication date is later than that, then the evidentiary value increases greatly.
  2. I have yet to find a journal that has that photo slot on the front. So maybe it was sold by a specialty store like a Hallmark?
I have stationary, new jounals etc still packed and "New", purchased as far back as 1992!! (Wife can not resist purchasing things on special).

KC or CA could have had this diary for some time, but still in "new" condition?

Of course this blows it out of the water if this was not premeditated and instead a RAGE Attack

:) sorrry but all sides should be considered

Also I have Things from 03 that are in pristine condition

I came to this conclusion when using Photoshop to determine if pages had been ripped out. I used a filter to remove the JPEG artifacts and enhanced the brightness and contrast, shadows and highlights, etc. My conclusion is that no pages were torn out. What we are seeing is the JPEG compression adding a lot of noise to the seam on a "glue bead" used to bind the pages to the book. On top of that, the camera flash adds two distinct levels of shadowing, giving the appearance of pages being torn out.

Snipped for space, bold is mine to reply.

I was looking at the image of the diary pages on wftv.com and blew it up for comparison. At 200%, scroll down- to the left of the word "June" on the second page...a bit of red ink is apparant along the frayed edge. Is this bit of ink from a page or pages that have been torn out? The ink could be there randomly, but to me it looks like there was at least one other page that was written on and torn out.

Here is the link where it can be viewed:

http://www.wftv.com/_blank/18740990/detail.html

Having searched a little for the journal (unsuccessfully, I might add :banghead:), I offer the following two observations:

1. Most of the journals one can buy on the market today were published before June, 2003. Thus, if the journal publication date does turn out to be older than that date, we still cannot rule it out as being a recent purchase. If the publication date is later than that, then the evidentiary value increases greatly.
  2. I have yet to find a journal that has that photo slot on the front. So maybe it was sold by a specialty store like a Hallmark?

Oh, they have them:

http://www.wrapables.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=A55359&prodlist=shopping

Here are my thoughts. Believe or not more than one caroms around my noggin once in awhile. :woohoo:

Anyhoo,

1. The police have the diary and therefore the sku number on the back and most likely the manufacturer. So they should be able to track down when this particular style was available. I'm sure styles of these things change fairly regularly, like within a year or two. So it shouldn't be hard to figure out if the style was available in the '03 range or the '08 range. If for some reason the style has been available for over five years then I'm sure there is a way to narrow down the lot it came from and that should help date it.

2. If that's not possible then the ink will be a big clue. If they found the pen that she wrote it with during a search then most likely it was written recently. Does anyone have pens that they used five years ago? If so could you find the specific one you used to write something five years ago and use it again? For me, impossible.

3. The pen would also be a clue because they should be able to match the ink in the pen with writing on the paper. If the '03 is in a different ink then it would make a case for it being added later.

4. The paper stock with the water mark would also help build the case for when it was manufactured. Let's say the diary cover was made for five years but they changed the water mark now and again then that would help date it.

5. I'd also think the paper weave could be used to date it. If it's a process that has changed in the last five years that would help clue things in.

6. The UPC code would be a big clue too, I believe

7. The weave and ink used for the cover as well as very slight modifications in design may also be available.

8. The width of the lines on the paper may vary one year only available with thin lines and the next with thicker lines.

I may be able to think of more but it seems to me that dating this particular journal won't be that hard especially with the cooperation of the manufacturer.

Forensically they should be able to find enough differences to make a strong case for the date of it's manufacture and the date of the ink used to write it.

:moo:

i think it should be 2 words unless used as an adjective...

everyday
One entry found.

Main Entry:
ev·ery·day Listen to the pronunciation of everyday Listen to the pronunciation of everyday
Pronunciation:
\&#712;ev-r&#275;-&#716;d&#257;, &#716;ev-re-&#712;\
Function:
adjective
Date:
circa 1623

: encountered or used routinely or typically : ordinary <everyday clothes>

— ev·ery·day·ness Listen to the pronunciation of everydayness \-&#712;d&#257;-n&#601;s\ noun

ah, you're right. forgive me!

IMO, it is not a journal but it is instead a scrapbook.

Starting to zero in a little...here is one of the items photographed by OCSO:

208887.jpg

And here is something very similar for sale:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2766&PRODID=xprd623881

Here are my thoughts. Believe or not more than one caroms around my noggin once in awhile. :woohoo:

Anyhoo,

1. The police have the diary and therefore the sku number on the back and most likely the manufacturer. So they should be able to track down when this particular style was available. I'm sure styles of these things change fairly regularly, like within a year or two. So it shouldn't be hard to figure out if the style was available in the '03 range or the '08 range. If for some reason the style has been available for over five years then I'm sure there is a way to narrow down the lot it came from and that should help date it.

2. If that's not possible then the ink will be a big clue. If they found the pen that she wrote it with during a search then most likely it was written recently. Does anyone have pens that they used five years ago? If so could you find the specific one you used to write something five years ago and use it again? For me, impossible.

3. The pen would also be a clue because they should be able to match the ink in the pen with writing on the paper. If the '03 is in a different ink then it would make a case for it being added later.

4. The paper stock with the water mark would also help build the case for when it was manufactured. Let's say the diary cover was made for five years but they changed the water mark now and again then that would help date it.

5. I'd also think the paper weave could be used to date it. If it's a process that has changed in the last five years that would help clue things in.

6. The UPC code would be a big clue too, I believe

7. The weave and ink used for the cover as well as very slight modifications in design may also be available.

8. The width of the lines on the paper may vary one year only available with thin lines and the next with thicker lines.

I may be able to think of more but it seems to me that dating this particular journal won't be that hard especially with the cooperation of the manufacturer.

Forensically they should be able to find enough differences to make a strong case for the date of it's manufacture and the date of the ink used to write it.

:moo:

Way more in depth than I ever considered. I was thinking a paper/ink dating and a handwriting expert. Some folks clip a pen to a notebook. I know I have one with a pen clipped in it so it's handy when I need to make a grocery list, whatever. I also grab one and take it along with me, if I'm doing something where I may want to take notes. It's just convenient.

I would think someone may do the same thing with a journal. Who knows? The pen may have even come with it, as some have suggested.

LaurelBurch1.jpg

I looked through so many google images of journals/diaries my eyes are throbbing :shocked2: I'm beginning to think she picked it up at a dollar store. Didn't she mention to Amy in a text that she had found a dollar store to shop at--that it was cheap? I imagine on no income she frequented those kinds of stores. It may also have been a gift. The art work looks very similar to that of Sally Huss or Laurel Burch. I have looked through all of their stuff and couldn't find the same print though. I have attached a link to Sally Huss below. The photo above is an example of Laurel Burch.

www.sallyhuss.com

I think you're right about the Laurel Burch angle. She does sell a line of lined journals. Here are some.

Here are some more.

The fact that she has a line of lined journals and the design closely resembles the type of art she makes has me believing it's one of hers.

Way more in depth than I ever considered. I was thinking a paper/ink dating and a handwriting expert. Some folks clip a pen to a notebook. I know I have one with a pen clipped in it so it's handy when I need to make a grocery list, whatever. I also grab one and take it along with me, if I'm doing something where I may want to take notes. It's just convenient.

I would think someone may do the same thing with a journal. Who knows? The pen may have even come with it, as some have suggested.

Have you had it for five years?

I don't know if LE can prove it was written in 2008 or not, and I'm not sure it really matters. Yes, everything we've seen is circumstantial. No one thing that we've seen is clear evidence of guilt. But you take 40 coincidences and they stop being single events but one long sad and heart breaking story of guilt.

Of course this blows it out of the water if this was not premeditated and instead a RAGE Attack

:) sorrry but all sides should be considered

Also I have Things from 03 that are in pristine condition

I think it was a premeditated rage killing. Meaning she planned to kill the baby way ahead of time but the method, day/time may not have been firmed up until the act occurred, while in the throes of a rage. Legally this is premeditation (from what the legals here have said) but as a layperson I'll stick to my funky terminology. :)

Have you had it for five years?

I write regularly, so no. But if I took notes, then put the notebook away in my nightstand and didn't get back to it for five years, I'd expect the pen to still be there. But then again, I don't live with CA and no one goes through my nightstand drawers but me. ;)

I don't know if LE can prove it was written in 2008 or not, and I'm not sure it really matters. Yes, everything we've seen is circumstantial. No one thing that we've seen is clear evidence of guilt. But you take 40 coincidences and they stop being single events but one long sad and heart breaking story of guilt.

GoodPost.gif

I write regularly, so no. But if I took notes, then put the notebook away in my nightstand and didn't get back to it for five years, I'd expect the pen to still be there. But then again, I don't live with CA and no one goes through my nightstand drawers but me. ;)

You would think the ink would be crusted on the top of the pen if it's ball point and you'd have do the circle thing on another piece of paper to crack the ink shell that's developed over time. So I wonder if there is a forensic way of testing that. :waitasec:

"Everyday" may be spelled correctly, but "Begining" is not (should be beginning). Does she do this anywhere else?

Does anyone have a good picture of the diary cover. People can go through the Laurel Burch Lined Journals available on the internet and compare. I've been to a few sites but without the cover to compare it to it's a difficult task.

The raised square part on the top is that for a photo ?

I think its a journal or even as we call them a notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member