Casey's Parents & Lawyers Bungle Public Relations

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.baezlawfirm.com/Home_English.html

Just thought you all would like to see JB's new, improved website...I guess he's spent of "few" of his earnings on it...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Has anyone read JB's bio? He is claiming he won 32 of 34 jury trials during his first TWO years with the Miami-Dade Public Defenders Office. He also says he began working there in 1995 - wasn't there something much earlier about this? Didn't he have to take down his original web site because he made claims that weren't true? I could swear I remember it being stated that he did not handle trials at first. Does anyone else remember something about this?

Has anyone read JB's bio? He is claiming he won 32 of 34 jury trials during his first TWO years with the Miami-Dade Public Defenders Office. He also says he began working there in 1995 - wasn't there something much earlier about this? Didn't he have to take down his original web site because he made claims that weren't true? I could swear I remember it being stated that he did not handle trials at first. Does anyone else remember something about this?

"He worked instead as a paralegal for the Miami-Dade public defender and then taught Internet research to lawyers and started four business ventures, including two bikini companies."

BBM

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/may/03/casey-anthonys-lawyer-jose-baez-rejected-florida-b/

http://www.baezlawfirm.com/Home_English.html

Just thought you all would like to see JB's new, improved website...I guess he's spent of "few" of his earnings on it...JMHO
Justice for Caylee

How does he get away with false advertising?
He is NOT a "Law Firm" -- has not been registered with the name "The Baez Law Firm" since May 4, 2009.

How did he pay for this expensive website design, when he cannot pay the mortgage on two homes which are in foreclosure at this time, and cannot pay property taxes on one of them?

What happened to Michelle Medina the lawyer who was yuckin it up with Inmate Anthony at the Defense table while JB was at sidebar, and whose name is on most of the recent filings?

Mr Baez even includes the media reports about his 'law firm' on the site. LOL! Cause getting your face in the news is soooo important, don't ya know.

I am not sure that is an "expensive" website. It's fairly simply, probably out of the box program by a company. I have a fair bit of experience with law firm websites. Granted I am Canadian and maybe it's different in Florida, or maybe Jose Baez got rooked. But that is not a fancy or expensive site. Grandiose and self congratulating yes, expensive no.

This new website does not say those things now.
Which bio are you looking at please? Link?

This was posted Oct 14, 2008 - here on WS:
"The Bar did make Baez take down the advertising on his web site because it was not true. He had stated he was with the Miami/Dade PD office from 1995 and won 34 of the 36 cases he tried in the first two years there. The problem was Baez was not admitted to the Florida Bar (or any other Bar) until 2005"

This was posted on WS 5/8/2009:
"The complaint filed about his false advertising is in diversion. Baez has to take an advertising course and upon completion of the course he has to have all of his ads approved by the Bar for one year afterwards. "

This new website does not say those things now.
Which bio are you looking at please? Link?

This was posted Oct 14, 2008 - here on WS:
"The Bar did make Baez take down the advertising on his web site because it was not true. He had stated he was with the Miami/Dade PD office from 1995 and won 34 of the 36 cases he tried in the first two years there. The problem was Baez was not admitted to the Florida Bar (or any other Bar) until 2005"

This was posted on WS 5/8/2009:
"The complaint filed about his false advertising is in diversion. Baez has to take an advertising course and upon completion of the course he has to have all of his ads approved by the Bar for one year afterwards. "

Go the 'about us' section and click on JB's picture. It is saying exactly what it used to say - and from what you have just said - it is all a lie! Who do we complain to?

How does he get away with false advertising?
He is NOT a "Law Firm" -- has not been registered with the name "The Baez Law Firm" since May 4, 2009.

How did he pay for this expensive website design, when he cannot pay the mortgage on two homes which are in foreclosure at this time, and cannot pay property taxes on one of them?

What happened to Michelle Medina the lawyer who was yuckin it up with Inmate Anthony at the Defense table while JB was at sidebar, and whose name is on most of the recent filings?

The Baez Law Firm is a ficticious name registered with the State of Florida.

It is owned by The Law Firm of Jose A. Baez, Esq. PA.

The original date of the registration of the ficticious name is 5/1/2006.

sunbiz.org has the docs.

As a sidenote........having built websites before (with no experience) there are a number of "canned" sites that you can customize. THey really aren't that expensive.

Haven't seen the new one....don't care to but thought I'd put it out there for folks.

The Baez Law Firm is a ficticious name registered with the State of Florida.

It is owned by The Law Firm of Jose A. Baez, Esq. PA.

The original date of the registration of the ficticious name is 5/1/2006.

sunbiz.org has the docs.

As a sidenote........having built websites before (with no experience) there are a number of "canned" sites that you can customize. THey really aren't that expensive.

Haven't seen the new one....don't care to but thought I'd put it out there for folks.

Can he continue to use the name of "The Baez Law Firm" when the registration was cancelled in May 2009?

Go the 'about us' section and click on JB's picture. It is saying exactly what it used to say - and from what you have just said - it is all a lie! Who do we complain to?

Wow! it IS still the same lies! A Bar complaint was filed on this very same issue in Sept 2008.
Someone needs to notify the FL Bar again.

www.floridabar.org

I can't wait for KB to pull out the footage of CM saying KC will be found guilty. Alongside his denial today. You know it's coming....

A little off topic for this thread, maybe = but it goes with Baez's website and his "logo/shield of arms" that he has in his office.

While watching the video of the presser, with the new woman attorney in the middle between Baez and Mason, you can see the bottom of his logo/shield.
From that angle, and the lower section that is shown, to me, it looks like a circus tent setting-group.

How fitting ~

I am not sure that is an "expensive" website. It's fairly simply, probably out of the box program by a company. I have a fair bit of experience with law firm websites. Granted I am Canadian and maybe it's different in Florida, or maybe Jose Baez got rooked. But that is not a fancy or expensive site. Grandiose and self congratulating yes, expensive no.

:Welcome-12-june::Welcome-12-june::Welcome-12-june::Welcome-12-june:
Love your Maya Angelou quote
It seems you, like the Florida bar have got his number. He did seem quite relieved to have a team to introduce. For obvious reasons, we all are relieved, no one wants her not to have adequate representation. I speak a lot about being American ( I come from a big military family), I just want to tell you and all of our members from other countries welcome here. We are glad to have you!!! It is broadening.

I tuned into JVM last night just in time to hear Baez' claim to why ICA has these attorneys on her team...He wanted to level the playing field....JMHO

Also tonight -- breaking news, Casey`s dream team just got a whole lot dreamier for the indigent defendant. The announcement came this morning at a last-minute news conference. Casey`s getting three new powerhouse lawyers -- three added to the team; a replacement death penalty defender, a medical witness and a new guy to handle that whole Zanny the nanny drama.

Casey`s attorney Cheney Mason explained it today.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

J. CHENEY MASON, CASEY ANTHONY`S ATTORNEY: We were up against the state attorney`s office that has changed his position of death penalty or not death penalty, have unlimited resources, you know, a law firm of 150 people. And they can bring whatever resources they want to.

We`re having to scrap from the bottom up against all of them. And as I said, when all of the enemy has got you surrounded, that`s good because I`ve got them right where I want them.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Not backing down, is he. But time-out, what about the price tag for all of this? Aren`t Florida taxpayers on the hook for an amount of legal bills already? It turned out the new people are going to work for Casey Anthony pro bono, which means for free.

Meantime, Casey`s defense team is claiming that the state is withholding critical evidence for them and has been for two years. Just how critical? We`ll we`re going to go straight out to my very special guest, Casey`s lead attorney Jose Baez.

Jose, thank you so much for joining us. You held this big news conference today. Tell us why you felt the need to hire more attorneys and how many do you have at this point on your dream team?

JOSE BAEZ, CASEY ANTHONY`S ATTORNEY: Well, hello Jane.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Hi.

BAEZ: Well, you know, the issue is -- is this. We`re facing, as Cheney mentioned unlimited resources and it`s something simply that we cannot --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What do you mean unlimited -- what do you mean by that?

BAEZ: Well, the prosecutors in this case don`t work on other cases. This is their case to -- to prosecute, and meanwhile we have to maintain practice -- a full practice. There`s over 200 lawyers in that building, and they can just pick up the phone and have any number of law enforcement officers go out and investigate whatever they need investigated.

We simply can`t compete with those types of resources so I would tell you that what we have up -- very close to what we`re up against is -- is minimal. It really is.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, how do you divide up the labor with that many attorneys and I understand you have something like 8,000 documents? Who knows how many pages? With all these new attorneys coming on all the time, how do you catch up and -- and get a handle on all this evidence?

BAEZ: Well, first of all, it`s 23,000 documents and over 300 hours of audio and video. Every alphabet of law enforcement has taken part in this case. And, you know, we`re fortunate that I have a lot of experience behind me with -- with all of these lawyers, and everything that they`re doing is very specialized.

So these are lawyers that can pick up the ball and run with it and deal with their specific area and their specific issues. And that`s what we`re -- we`re hoping that the new members will be able to contribute.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right.

So today`s big announcement, three more big-time lawyers joining Casey`s dream team. And you know, you guys went out of your way to make us aware that these people are not going to be charging the taxpayers. Let`s listen to exactly what was said at the news conference.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MASON: Graciously accepted my arm-twisting to come in and join the rest of us in a pro bono effort to defend Casey. There again, you know, a twisted arm in order to come in and help pro bono.

BAEZ: It takes a lot to ask a lawyer to sign on, A, to be a part of a case and even more importantly to do it pro bono.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: When you`re pro bono, you can really be selective.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Here is my big issue: pro bono, pro bono, pro bono. That was a lot of talking about pro bono, but last question to you, Jose, are taxpayers not on the hook for some of Casey`s defense? I understand that the tab has been six figures at this point already. Death penalty expert Andrea Lyon has billed up several thousands. You`ve been paid.

I mean, I`m not saying you shouldn`t be paid. But you`re talking about these new people pro bono, but there are still a lot that the taxpayers are going to foot.

BAEZ: There is a lot that the taxpayers have not paid for. And the taxpayers are paying for this prosecution -- number one the first and foremost. And all of the lawyers on this case are not being paid by the state. It is just the costs that are being paid such as depositions and things like that.

It`s not an issue -- if Casey had the public defender`s office representing her, she -- they would have to pay for the lawyers and the costs.

So, in actuality, the taxpayers are paying much less than they would normally pay --

BAEZ: -- if -- is Casey was to use the public defender route. So that`s a big misconception.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Jose -- we`re going to ask you to stand by.

BAEZ: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, we`re going to talk about another really extraordinary case that you`re handling in just a moment. And we`re going to move on for a second with the Casey Anthony case.

So stand by there. And I`m going to bring in, wow, I`m delighted to be joined by another major player in the Casey Anthony trial. William Jay is the lawyer who represents Casey`s ex-boyfriend, Tony Lazarro (ph). Tony is the one who was seen on the secret undercover video with Casey`s brother Lee. Cops actually fitted Tony with a fire so he could try to get information about little Caylee from Lee.

William Jay, thank you for joining us. I think that the most significant testimony that your client could offer is that he was dating Casey Anthony when the child disappeared and he had no idea for the whole month that she was missing before Cindy called 911. Is that correct?

WILLIAM JAY, ATTORNEY FOR TONY LAZARRO, CASEY`S EX: That is what his prior statements definitely say, is that he didn`t know anything about it, and he was interviewed several times by the police and his -- his story has never wavered from that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, so I mean, he`s dating her and she is not telling him that her daughter is missing, even though her contention is that she was secretly searching for her daughter during that time. Is your client going to be called as a key witness in this case?

JAY: I would expect that he`s going to be called as a key witness both during the fact phase and perhaps if there`s a penalty phase to talk about case Casey`s behavior during that month as well for possible mitigation if there is a sentencing phase. So I think he`s a witness for both parts of the case.

V-M: All right. Well, thank you, William Jay. Please come back soon. And thank you again Midwin Charles. Always great to have you.

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1009/14/ijvm.01.html

Do not be surprised if you hear the judge mention when they whine they haven't enough time all of the media appearances since he set the deadlines.

Do you remember when Cheney gave his first public statements after joining the case? If you listened closely you'll recall that he said he was asked to come on this case, he had SEVERAL experts that are already lined up to come on the case pro bono. I believed then that he also had fellow lawyers he wanted to bring in and that he would want Andrea out so he could have his choice of DP expert. Much like when your company gets a new President, you can bet your life, part of the deal he made is he can bring over his own management team and slowly but surely the existing team will be let go, he planned to helm the ship with his people. It is interesting how folks still refer to Jose as lead attorney. Cheney is officially first chair.

This is Not my video, it is Marinaide Dave's, I could find no other of this press conference. go to 8:11 Mark
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL43U7kAIIE[/ame]

#
Attorneys Discuss Trial Options In Casey Anthony Murder Case ...
... she's dead," defense attorney Cheney Mason ... You work around it," Rahter said. "You have Cindy (Anthony, Casey Anthony's ... AUDIO: Lee Anthony Interview; AUDIO: Jesse Grund ...
www.clickorlando.com/news/18025942/detail.html - Cached

In the above interview , we have Mr. Mason, before joining the defense,"You can pretty well predict there's going to be a life sentence, either a plea and get it over with or have a circus trial and then be convicted and get life," Mason said.

Who needs Genny Lucas and her magic dreams? Mr. Mason can predict the inevitable, a circus indeed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDrfJtgnlbA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2374176"]THE UNTOLD STORY OF CAYLEE, THE UNTOLD STORY OF CAYLEE timer55 on USTREAM. Breaking News[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWb_ZztZOKM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

LAW EXPERT DISCUSS REMAINS FOUND NEAR THE ANTHONY HOME
December 12, 2008 [Caylee's remains found day before]
RandiSierra

1:05 Cheney Mason says "And all that talking, and all the press interviews, and the parents going on this show and that show, and the lawyer going on different shows establishes they have no credibility whatsoever. ....

The most important thing is how did she die? It could have been an accidental death, we've talked before, and an improper disposal, it could have been an outright brutal homicide. We don't know, and until the medical examiner is finished and renders a report, noone is going to know.".....

2:18 - you can pretty well predict that there's going to be a life sentence, and either going to plea and get it over with, or have a circus trial, and then be convicted, and then get life."

I tuned into JVM last night just in time to hear Baez' claim to why ICA has these attorneys on her team...He wanted to level the playing field....JMHO

Also tonight -- breaking news, Casey`s dream team just got a whole lot dreamier for the indigent defendant. The announcement came this morning at a last-minute news conference. Casey`s getting three new powerhouse lawyers -- three added to the team; a replacement death penalty defender, a medical witness and a new guy to handle that whole Zanny the nanny drama.

Casey`s attorney Cheney Mason explained it today.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

J. CHENEY MASON, CASEY ANTHONY`S ATTORNEY: We were up against the state attorney`s office that has changed his position of death penalty or not death penalty, have unlimited resources, you know, a law firm of 150 people. And they can bring whatever resources they want to.

We`re having to scrap from the bottom up against all of them. And as I said, when all of the enemy has got you surrounded, that`s good because I`ve got them right where I want them.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Not backing down, is he. But time-out, what about the price tag for all of this? Aren`t Florida taxpayers on the hook for an amount of legal bills already? It turned out the new people are going to work for Casey Anthony pro bono, which means for free.

Meantime, Casey`s defense team is claiming that the state is withholding critical evidence for them and has been for two years. Just how critical? We`ll we`re going to go straight out to my very special guest, Casey`s lead attorney Jose Baez.

Jose, thank you so much for joining us. You held this big news conference today. Tell us why you felt the need to hire more attorneys and how many do you have at this point on your dream team?

JOSE BAEZ, CASEY ANTHONY`S ATTORNEY: Well, hello Jane.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Hi.

BAEZ: Well, you know, the issue is -- is this. We`re facing, as Cheney mentioned unlimited resources and it`s something simply that we cannot --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What do you mean unlimited -- what do you mean by that?

BAEZ: Well, the prosecutors in this case don`t work on other cases. This is their case to -- to prosecute, and meanwhile we have to maintain practice -- a full practice. There`s over 200 lawyers in that building, and they can just pick up the phone and have any number of law enforcement officers go out and investigate whatever they need investigated.

We simply can`t compete with those types of resources so I would tell you that what we have up -- very close to what we`re up against is -- is minimal. It really is.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, how do you divide up the labor with that many attorneys and I understand you have something like 8,000 documents? Who knows how many pages? With all these new attorneys coming on all the time, how do you catch up and -- and get a handle on all this evidence?

BAEZ: Well, first of all, it`s 23,000 documents and over 300 hours of audio and video. Every alphabet of law enforcement has taken part in this case. And, you know, we`re fortunate that I have a lot of experience behind me with -- with all of these lawyers, and everything that they`re doing is very specialized.

So these are lawyers that can pick up the ball and run with it and deal with their specific area and their specific issues. And that`s what we`re -- we`re hoping that the new members will be able to contribute.

So today`s big announcement, three more big-time lawyers joining Casey`s dream team. And you know, you guys went out of your way to make us aware that these people are not going to be charging the taxpayers. Let`s listen to exactly what was said at the news conference.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MASON: Graciously accepted my arm-twisting to come in and join the rest of us in a pro bono effort to defend Casey. There again, you know, a twisted arm in order to come in and help pro bono.

BAEZ: It takes a lot to ask a lawyer to sign on, A, to be a part of a case and even more importantly to do it pro bono.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: When you`re pro bono, you can really be selective.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Here is my big issue: pro bono, pro bono, pro bono. That was a lot of talking about pro bono, but last question to you, Jose, are taxpayers not on the hook for some of Casey`s defense? I understand that the tab has been six figures at this point already. Death penalty expert Andrea Lyon has billed up several thousands. You`ve been paid.

I mean, I`m not saying you shouldn`t be paid. But you`re talking about these new people pro bono, but there are still a lot that the taxpayers are going to foot.

BAEZ: There is a lot that the taxpayers have not paid for. And the taxpayers are paying for this prosecution -- number one the first and foremost. And all of the lawyers on this case are not being paid by the state. It is just the costs that are being paid such as depositions and things like that.

It`s not an issue -- if Casey had the public defender`s office representing her, she -- they would have to pay for the lawyers and the costs.

So, in actuality, the taxpayers are paying much less than they would normally pay --

BAEZ: -- if -- is Casey was to use the public defender route. So that`s a big misconception.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Jose -- we`re going to ask you to stand by.

BAEZ: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, we`re going to talk about another really extraordinary case that you`re handling in just a moment. And we`re going to move on for a second with the Casey Anthony case.

So stand by there. And I`m going to bring in, wow, I`m delighted to be joined by another major player in the Casey Anthony trial. William Jay is the lawyer who represents Casey`s ex-boyfriend, Tony Lazarro (ph). Tony is the one who was seen on the secret undercover video with Casey`s brother Lee. Cops actually fitted Tony with a fire so he could try to get information about little Caylee from Lee.

William Jay, thank you for joining us. I think that the most significant testimony that your client could offer is that he was dating Casey Anthony when the child disappeared and he had no idea for the whole month that she was missing before Cindy called 911. Is that correct?

WILLIAM JAY, ATTORNEY FOR TONY LAZARRO, CASEY`S EX: That is what his prior statements definitely say, is that he didn`t know anything about it, and he was interviewed several times by the police and his -- his story has never wavered from that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, so I mean, he`s dating her and she is not telling him that her daughter is missing, even though her contention is that she was secretly searching for her daughter during that time. Is your client going to be called as a key witness in this case?

JAY: I would expect that he`s going to be called as a key witness both during the fact phase and perhaps if there`s a penalty phase to talk about case Casey`s behavior during that month as well for possible mitigation if there is a sentencing phase. So I think he`s a witness for both parts of the case.

V-M: All right. Well, thank you, William Jay. Please come back soon. And thank you again Midwin Charles. Always great to have you.

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1009/14/ijvm.01.html

Thanks so much for this part of the Transcript LiveLaughLove! I just can't watch her anymore.
It looks like this is the first time Baez wasn't able to float his usual BS. Poor little us, against BIG them - that didn't fly at all! And I loved it when she followed up with Tony's lawyer, first mentioning he wore a wire to talk to Lee, and second he will testify ICA said nothing and was no different for the 31 days Caylee was "missing". Well done! (for once!)

Bet Baez isn't having fun watching the clips from this show!

I just want to add, I think Baez pretty much admitted he is completely intimidated by the skill and strength of the SA and hasn't known what to do " I can tell you what we have up.........is minimal, it really is."
He's saying he has no idea what to do and brought in some experienced people so he will at least have "something". Bwwwwaaaahhhaaa!

I cannot stand to watch JVM ... but will make an exception for Thursday night when Tim M is on!

Please share this info with any sites that you visit ...

"Tim Miller and Mark Nejame will be appearing on a pretty good portion of the Jane Velez-Mitchell HLN show this Thursday night at 7 PM.

They will be discussing the Stipulation filed today with the 9th Circuit Court;

Why is it critical for a volunteer operation to protect the personal information of its volunteers

If they think the type of legal action by the Defense will discourage volunteers from working on missing persons cases

And possibly how the volunteers who appear on the witness list preparing themselves

And anything else that comes up.

Should be interesting!!!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18