Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I try to flip it the other way.

What possible theories could we come up with that could explain how Gannon could be alive (as she claims), yet also explain why she is spinning out of control in guilt?

He really did go out into the neighborhood in an attempt to find friends who were available to play and...

-An accident befell him, but no one can find him even after 30 days.
-A third party gave him a ride elsewhere where an accident or foul play befell him and no one can find him.
-Someone, known or unknown to stepmom, abducted him.
-Stepmom purposefully took him somewhere or to someone who she believed would return him, but they never did.
-Stepmom is purposefully having him held offsite.
-Gannon somehow got to someone who heard his possible stories of abuse and saw his terrible condition and is quietly sheltering him because they fear courts will return him to stepmom.

What else?

My judgment for now is that all of these possibilities are more far-fetched than the idea that TS harmed him. Mostly I see it this way bc of how guilty she acts and the apparent presence of diarrhea, blood, vomit, tools with blood, cars with blood and so on.

What say you? Do any of the above alternative theories seem interesting to you?

So...I don’t find these explanations likely, but I appreciate the thought exercise.

The last one you included threw me for a loop. It is super far fetched and unlikely, right? But I hadn’t considered that and I am trying to weigh it in my mind.

What if there is a relative or family friend out there who G did turn to? Maybe there is a blowup at the house and he somehow gets word out (while gaming with them or via his phone or social media or something) and someone volunteers to come rescue him.

G shows them bruises, cuts, discloses vomiting, diarrhea, anxiety and more. Now the person believes if they return Gannon, he will be given back to stepmom and that she may be so angry that he disappeared that she would put him through hell.

So let’s say the person decides to take a huge risk and hide Gannon. In super rare cases, we have seen family members and friends harbor kids because they believe the court system has misjudged the living arrangement and they take it into their own hands to go against the law to protect the child.

If the story was really movie-like, in the meantime, they could even be feeding LE tips that Gannon was being seriously abused and even giving them specifics (check this room, look for this object). In the hope TS will eventually be arrested and then they can feel assured G will not be put back in a situation like this.

That scenario is interesting to me. Mostly because it’s one of the only ones where G is alive and even has a protector. I can’t say I believe it’s a real possibility, but I do hope it turns out to be one of those rare unlikely exceptional cases where the truth is more bizarre than the theories. But unfortunately, I think it’s probably way too far fetched.

The only thing I like about it is he would be alive and it would explain why TS seems so sure he just went to hang out with friends and seems to think he could return and prove to everyone he is fine.

But no...after a minute of wishful thinking...I think they will find Gannon and it will be concluded TS was responsible for the circumstances that caused him to go missing.

I am from SC..new to this because I can’t stop thinking of Gannon and his mom and dad. God, I hope and pray you provide answers to the family very soon. Wrap your arms around those who love Gannon and give them your strength! Landen you have all the support and love you could possibly imagine here at home.

Yes, a lot. The area around today’s staging area has some bare ground. The snow covered areas are maybe a few inches deep. We need the sun to come out today to speed the melt up.

The forecast for Larkspur tomorrow is for snow but for the other side of the Palmer Divide (CS), it’s for rain. Rain will speed up the melting. Hope that happens.

This is very good to hear. Thank you.

@FlammingJan, Your synopsis is amazing. Because you asked, I offered some thoughts for you to ponder.

I believe TS harbored a deep resentment of LH from way back. Her insatiable need to devalue and inflict pain onto LH consumed her and effected others.

With that said, her reaction to the incident on Sunday evening resulted in an internal injury for GS. I know that our precious organs do not tolerate injury. I am not aware of a specific medication to treat an internal injury, without first an x-ray, ct-scan and/or surgery to repair.

Attending school or examination by a physician would enact mandated reporting, resulting in irreparable damage to TS's marriage and career.

I am interested in your feedback.

I agree he could’ve had an internal injury, internal bleeding etc. That theory is near the top for me so far based on what we know actually, but I acknowledge that there are a lot of unknowns out there still. And I of course fully agree that no med could restore that sort of injury. But she be deluded (which she seems capable of) and could have been telling herself “it’s probably just a stomach ache, he is exaggerating or whining” and hoping it turned out to be something minor that medicine would improve in time.

My theory—if TS is responsible—is premeditated murder to cover abuse. I think she may have hurt him, and then realized that not only would she be in trouble with LE and have the child abuse jacket placed on her, but she would also be in trouble with AS. She would lose her marriage and her lifestyle. She panicked and tried to make it seem as if GS ran away. This way she could save face and gain sympathy at the same time. She could also play victim.
That's the most plausible scenario I can image. After the abuse there was no other option in her mind. She knew he would tell his dad and mom. Only way to stop him was murder. It is not uncommon for abusers to murder their victims. IMO

This would be my high-level summary as well.

I would add that, knowing the areas being searched, a lack of local knowledge led to a belief that apparently heavily wooded areas would have a lot of options for disposal. I KNOW those areas, and most of them are overlooked by at least one residence or have traffic driving by. I think this led to the apparently frantic driving around. By the way, ponderosa pine forests are not necessarily as dense as the wooded areas near where I grew up in Maryland. If the homeowners are doing their job and remediating around their property to mitigate wildfire risk, you can actually see more than one would expect. In Maryland, no one cared about clearing out the understory, because it is so humid there is little risk of a wildfire burning out of control.
Since you are familiar with the lay of the land, do you agree that the place would be accessible. If it's true that she used a rental car, accessibility is less than if she used AS's truck.
I thought the Army National Guard was involved in this search? Another poster noted there was less than 10 cars.

I wonder if it's even walking distance from the staging area. The searchers may have been transported to the area(s). I hope we learn more soon.

Exactly! The previous staging area was a couple miles from the search location but it was easy to find, on the same road as the search location.

I’ll take another drive later. Hopefully we’ll get more detailed info before I go.

I agree that this search feels different but I’m not sure what that means. The one-day delay suggests it’s not urgent. The lack of info suggests they’re trying to keep it quiet. But the volunteer aspect suggests it’s not as critical.

I don’t know. It’s hard not to get disheartened. Every time I think like that, I’m reminded of just how torturous this is for LH and AS and everyone else who loves him.

Hoping this posts properly , because it looks like it is trying to integrate a past post...

So, The biggest reason that I have for believing that GS was "out of it" (above and beyond a simple illness) is due to the fact that he dropped his "electronic " and made no attempt to retrieve it. If any of my kids dropped a device.. they would grab that sucker FAST ...like their lives depended on it..even my 23 year old daughter would.
There was something QUITE WRONG with his reaction to the dropped item.

As to his possible return.. I just cannot wrap my mind around how the amount of time available would allow SM to carry out anything more. I believe whatever happened did so during the 4 hour excursion.

As to the presplaining about bodily fluids?
BIG RED FLAG.
Anyone that has a home containing children and pets will have ALL of these fluids in their home.
I know that we all take great care to remove remnants of incidences that don't have any nefarious nature connected.. but logically, some of what has occurred will be left behind ( at least I would imagine).
Her working as hard as she has to pre-explain what was going to be found was unnecessary to do if you have kids in your home..
UNLESS you have a guilty conscience OR there is such an excessive amount of something that you know it will come into question.

Once again.. AMOO
Jmo
MOO
I agree he was probably out of it and agree that was an unusual response to not try to retrieve his device. I can, however, think of reasons he might not have that don’t suggest being drugged. Like what if his hands were full and that’s why he dropped it in the first place? And when things got unbalanced he started to lose hold of everything he had in hand so he didn’t immediately bend down to get the item bc he was trying not to drop additional items (like a phone)? I think he could be drugged or sluggish tho. Just not sure we can tell conclusively from surveillance footage.

I think human nature contains many dark aspects. Upbringing and culture play huge roles in subduing what for many humans are almost irresistible urges. The list is wrong, and it's not only violence, but deception (also found in other primates), but also huge variation in how strongly social or asocial a human might be, and whether a person is likely to be an addictive type personality. There are huge genetic components in some of that, but upbringing is so important too (the identical twin studies show us that).

I think most researchers believe that narcissism is natural and normal in babies and small children, and it begins to diminish sometime after age 4 (earlier in some kids) for most kids. But not all kids. Some people are going to remain driven by the same narcissistic drives that make 2 year olds throw tantrums (and make them throw things at others in an attempt to harm, as some toddlers are known to do). My mom used to say, "Can you imagine if grown-ups acted like that?" A 2 year old has little sense about what is good for themselves or for others. They are a mess of inchoate drives and simple thoughts, their parents have to help them learn how to be a functioning human. 2 year olds appear to lie al because their brains don't comprehend that other people truly exist and have different thoughts/worldviews than them. They think everyone thinks exactly like they do and they change what they think about something in an instant. 2 year olds are not particularly reliable at narrating events (the opposite).

So, people who are still narcissists at 34 definitely need mental health care. Narcissists have increased in number since the 50's and 60's (see Christopher Lasch's book, the numbers have only gotten worse since he wrote). Lasch blames not only parents but the entire culture into which some parents place their children (unwittingly, following what their own families and everyone else is doing). A mentally healthy person isn't going to become a flaming narcissist simply because of culture, but a narcissist is really going to struggle in US culture, according to Lasch, because we are the world leaders in creating conditions that promote it. In the end, I think all experts agree it's down to early childhood and parenting...

I totally agree with you that LS is either in the throes of a full-blown psychotic episode (with manic features) or she is in a borderline psychotic state (which is more likely as she can pull herself together for interviews). Her narcissism will not let her confess.
Well put! She reminds me of a two year old that has been told "no."

I'm thinking there must be data from a phone or Apple watch or both that LE has used to track her movements that day. Why else would she feel the need to explain where she went and why, especially the part about her having to take the back roads and getting lost?
It's consistent with everything she has done so far in all her statements, attempting to explain or account for the evidence.
Agreed.

Sometimes I try to flip it the other way.

What possible theories could we come up with that could explain how Gannon could be alive (as she claims), yet also explain why she is spinning out of control in guilt?

He really did go out into the neighborhood in an attempt to find friends who were available to play and...

-An accident befell him, but no one can find him even after 30 days.
-A third party gave him a ride elsewhere where an accident or foul play befell him and no one can find him.
-Someone, known or unknown to stepmom, abducted him.
-Stepmom purposefully took him somewhere or to someone who she believed would return him, but they never did.
-Stepmom is purposefully having him held offsite.
-Gannon somehow got to someone who heard his possible stories of abuse and saw his terrible condition and is quietly sheltering him because they fear courts will return him to stepmom.

What else?

My judgment for now is that all of these possibilities are more far-fetched than the idea that TS harmed him. Mostly I see it this way bc of how guilty she acts and the apparent presence of diarrhea, blood, vomit, tools with blood, cars with blood and so on.

What say you? Do any of the above alternative theories seem interesting to you?

Will you all help me think this through?

I know sometimes we tend to develop elaborate ideas about what happened. Like it’s been suggested that maybe TS went out and purposefully bought poison or laced his drinks with eye drops or scouted disposal spots or dug a hole ahead of time. And to be fair, I sometimes think along the same lines. Like I was thinking she may have overdosed him on meds on purpose (still a possibility).

But I have been thinking today that when a female guardian is charged with a criminal act toward a child, in many cases (definitely not all), it is learned she was in an unhealthy place (mentally, emotionally) and more or less reaches a breaking point and does something impulsive to the kids.

As a result, I’ve been considering today whether it’s more likely that Gannon was legitimately sick or accidentally injured in an impulsive breakdown like this. But because of her unhealthy state, or possible resentment toward him, TS simply didn’t believe him that he needed medical attention. Or she feared involving medical staff (mandatory reporters of abuse) would turn bad for her. So maybe she didn’t set out to kill him, but failed to act to help him as his condition was worsening. Maybe she was telling herself he was faking.

But by the time she realized he needed help, her efforts to get meds were too little too late. She hoped the medicine would somehow turn things around and drove him around waiting to see if the meds would kick in. But maybe when they didn’t, he either died or went unconscious and she dumped him. Or she started to panic because she knew there was no scenario where she’d be able to avoid being held responsible for neglect or participation in the injury, so she made an in the moment decision to harm him (like dumping a sick kid off a cliff like someone mentioned).

To me, that is more likely than poison or her beating a child to death with a weapon. But I wanted to ask for your opinions, knowing that whatever we think is most likely, it doesn’t rule out that this case could also be an exception where the most unlikely things prove true.
I have no idea what happened to Gannon and no particular theory. This case is strange.

I also don’t have a need to give her passes or the benefit of the doubt re: possible stress, unhealthy mental status, etc. She has been obstinately and arrogantly deceptive from the get go, and not once, it appears, has any empathy for Gannon, or his suffering parents, kicked in to override her self-preserving behaviors. In fact, a lot of things are Gannon’s fault if we listen to her carefully.

I’ve said in previous threads that I don’t necessarily see her as the crazed rage-fueled psychopath chasing Gannon around the garage with a cleaver, or spiking his orange juice with a deadly substance, or whatever. On the other hand, I also would not be surprised if we learn that she committed a callous murder. People with this little compassion for a child gone missing, particularly on their watch, who aren’t focused on the welfare on the child and actively doing something meaningful to contribute to finding him, are, in my view, potentially capable of anything.

Yes, I think it’s possible that something escalated, perhaps only in her own mind and emotional world, and Gannon was on the receiving end of abuse or neglect. And then....

But it’s the ‘and then’ part that I can’t reconcile. I can understand ‘losing it’, I can understand (as in intellectually grasp it) causing harm, or engaging in dismissive behavior regarding an unfolding medical event, etc. But I’m having a hard time believing that a child who could smile while hiking the previous day, had no known acute illness, was not laboring under a chronic condition (as in daily distress and debilitation), just suddenly became very ill with the symptoms she describes. And even if he did, that’s when the both of you stay home and he receives care. And Dad and Mom are both notified that Gannon is sick. None of that happened. We’ve heard nothing from Gannon’s parents about an unfolding acute ailment of flu or escalation of any chronic gastrointestinal problem.

So I don’t know what or how or why. But I think she is angry and callous enough, and her deception is deep and wide enough, that this could range from an ‘oops’ in the most disturbing sense, to something more sinister. I don’t profess to have insight into the details. However, I’m comfortable in concluding that he’s where she put him for selfish purposes that exceed panic at failing as a stressed or self-absorbed caretaker. Her resentment toward his mother, toward Gannon himself, and her crass remarks about him his symptoms and carrying a his own bag for any vomiting he might have, while she drove around, allegedly did (nonsense) shopping, and just happened to get lost where there’s now an evidence/body search, is not (merely) a panic response. I believe it’s an extension of thought and behavior that was present before she needed a disposal site. People don’t just wake up one day lacking empathy to this degree, are not suddenly this confused about basic honesty and personal integrity, and didn’t just one morning develop the ability to sustain such a cruel deception for over a month about a missing child’s status and location. JMO

In the eyes of the law, the death of a child during the act of child abuse, is felony murder. No matter the method. It only takes a split second to form premeditation. And the second she decided he needed to die is premeditation. Her not seeking medical help and making him suffer, would be considered torture. Torture is a special enhancement that qualifies for the death penalty. IMO, all the alternatives you proposed sound as sinister and awful as any other scenario.

IMO, we can guess all we want as to how and why Gannon died. BTW, a prosecutor doesn't need to prove or show motive either. The bottom line is that she is going down for Felony murder.
I agree that it wouldn’t matter how or why someone was harmed, if there was intention to harm or to conceal a death, that person is unquestionably legally culpable. Murder is murder.

Hoping this posts properly , because it looks like it is trying to integrate a past post...

So, The biggest reason that I have for believing that GS was "out of it" (above and beyond a simple illness) is due to the fact that he dropped his "electronic " and made no attempt to retrieve it. If any of my kids dropped a device.. they would grab that sucker FAST ...like their lives depended on it..even my 23 year old daughter would.
There was something QUITE WRONG with his reaction to the dropped item.

True, unless she told him they were going out to sell his electronics to pay for the damage he did in the house the day before. He may have been fine physically but was crying and pleading and dreading having to go on that trip to sell his prized possessions. Dropping it might have been his last ditch feeble effort to prevent it from it being sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly