CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the utmost respect, I have to disagree with you on this. Unfortunately, the freedom of the press is extremely important in this country. While you may disagree with their ethics (and trust me-I've got lots of problems with the ethics of the media-a whole other topic of discussion) we cannot start charging the media with crimes. You can't gag the media.

But sometimes they a well worded Letter to the Editor does some good....Just saying...

I think that
1) any newspaper that reports things that they have been told not to print because it will affect an investigation should be charged. That is different than say, not reporting something because it could embarass someone or ruin a career.
2) If the PD can figure out who the leak is they should be fired! Immediately! Apparently their "moment in the sun" of giving insider info is more important than justice or the investigation. That type of person has no business being in law enforcement. (best comparison I can think of is a stock trader. They have freedom of speech, as do we all, but they will be fired and prosecuted if they give insider information about stocks to others).
3)We as a country should NOT accept this behavior from the media. Not only is it destructive and unethical, (IMO) it will lead us to a place where the media will print whatever it can (true or not) just to beat the competition. Every media outlet will then be at the level of the "rag mags" that are not allowed to be quoted her.
All JMO of course.

no, what ever he's doing is leaving DNA. they don't want him to know where the DNA is coming from. they don't want him to change whatever he's doing and stop leaving DNA. the scary thing is, they assume there will be another time for him to do or not do something differently.

My point is they will get him & have his DNA. They'll have him on a host of charges that he will never see the light of day. In theory when he hits again, even if he doesn't leave DNA, doesn't preclude the court from throwing away the key when they capture him. But I should have added, if they don't catch him and there is/will be a next time, DNA would be a valuable aid for the police being to know who to classify it to if there is something to match to as well as for the possible/probable next victim or family:please:to have answers. Instead of LE having to say we think your case is connected but there is no DNA so we're not sure. I hope I worded that better this time.

You know I was thinking about LE saying "there is a predator on the loose". There are always multiple predators on the loose, some due to prison release, some not yet caught for their crimes, etc...in this case they happen to have an active predator on the loose. It takes a horrible crime like Jessica's murder to realize how many predators there are out there. Every time there is a new case, people are shocked by the number of violent sex offenders living nearby the victim. And yet sadly, it is simply a fact of life, until a hideous crime happens. Otherwise, no one really acknowledges all of the dangerous predators walking the streets.

Good post. So true

My point is they will get him & have his DNA. They'll have him on a host of charges that he will never see the light of day. In theory when he hits again, even if he doesn't leave DNA, doesn't preclude the court from throwing away the key when they capture him. But I should have added, if they don't catch him and there is/will be a next time, DNA would be a valuable aid for the police being to know who to classify it to if there is something to match to as well as for the possible/probable next victim or family:please:to have answers. Instead of LE having to say we think your case is connected but there is no DNA so we're not sure. I hope I worded that better this time.

Oh my! This post has my head spinning! Loll They will have his DNA, he will leave DNA, no DNA....not making fun of a serious crime ....

People always get frustrated when these cases fade out of the news, but if the media only reports on information directly from LE, that they have permission to publish, that is what is going to happen.

No offense but I find the drug cartel/gang-related theory laughable. Gangs are profit motivated. Do they abduct, murder and dismember? Yes, but they don't abduct murder and dismember random 10 year old girls who are walking to school.

I also don't understand why so many here are so invested in thinking this guy is hispanic, especially when he has been described from the beginning as WHITE. It's actually starting to get offensive.

We are all just trying to figure out how to find out who did this to Jessica. I don't think anyone's opinions are laughable, and I certainly don't think anyone is trying to be offensive.

I have read several reports that have indicated white or Hispanic.

I was just trying to think "out of the box" because it perhaps helps open other avenues of thought. Do I think it's a drug cartel? Probably not. But could it be some kind of "group" doing this and their purpose is something different than what we might expect. (i.e. the boogey man.) I know it sounds really sick, but often times the truth turns out to be quite different than what anyone expects.

JMO

BTW, I am pretty sure there is no national DNA database, so it would be very difficult to check the perp's DNA on crimes in other states.

<SNIP>
Another poster wondered is theres a crazy drug going around. How would that all be connected? Drug Cartel.

Quick search on Colorado drug cartel, brings up a news story talking about cartel activity in CO, and right off the bat, you see as you scroll down, a Cartel member was arrested for a murder in Westminster.

Its all prolly just crazy coincidence?
I really can't see a gang member or a member of a drug cartel being scared off by an unarmed young woman, or by a couple of 13 year old girls if the attempt on the little boy is related.

I can only say one thing about all the conflicting MSM and TV shows that ran today with stories about Jessica's case...I hope it serves as a learning experience and opened some eyes with regard to last night's WS debate about what should or should not be believed. Just because it was written in some newspaper or seen on a tv show doesn't mean squat. For those who were blissfully unaware...welcome to our world!
Something like the old joke, "It must be true, I read it in the Enquirer!"
Yaaaay that she was able to throw him to the ground. You go girl!! Had to say it, just had to.

He had a lot of guts to try and take her from in front of a bar! That's bold. It's not like shes in the back of the parking lot, ya know. I wonder if the rag made her loopy or feel strange etc. I guess he didn't have it on her long enough to figure it out. What do y'all think was on the rag?
BBM
I have no idea what was on it before, but it's probably covered with his tears by now. :giggle:

You know I was thinking about LE saying "there is a predator on the loose". There are always multiple predators on the loose, some due to prison release, some not yet caught for their crimes, etc...in this case they happen to have an active predator on the loose. It takes a horrible crime like Jessica's murder to realize how many predators there are out there. Every time there is a new case, people are shocked by the number of violent sex offenders living nearby the victim. And yet sadly, it is simply a fact of life, until a hideous crime happens. Otherwise, no one really acknowledges all of the dangerous predators walking the streets.

And just to add to your thoughts, I think there is somewhat of a disconnect when it comes to folks who have been aware of this for many years and those that are just becoming aware due to Jessica's case. For some, those of us who have known may be seen as "callous or uncaring", when in fact we do care a great deal, but have become somewhat "resigned" to seeing this because we know what "is out there", so to speak.
I've worked with LE for many years in the area of child sexual abuse investigations. You build up a very strong outer shell when you deal with this on a daily basis. It doesn't mean you don't care...it is simply a protective shield that you have to build for your own survival and mental health.

Oh my! This post has my head spinning! Loll They will have his DNA, he will leave DNA, no DNA....not making fun of a serious crime ....

LOL don't worry about it. Just responding to a comment who responded to a comment...no biggie. :floorlaugh:

It's interesting to me that we hear Denver metro is in a panic, that everyone is watching their kids more, yet we still hear about unsupervised kids almost being abducted every day. (And I doubt those are the only kids who are outside by themselves).

:/ Parents still have to work and kids still have to get to school. Unfortunately I don't think a change of pace is viable for all people.

BTW, I am pretty sure there is no national DNA database, so it would be very difficult to check the perp's DNA on crimes in other states.

There is a national DNA database for crimes. It's called CODIS and is run by the FBI.

And just to add to your thoughts, I think there is somewhat of a disconnect when it comes to folks who have been aware of this for many years and those that are just becoming aware due to Jessica's case. For some, those of us who have known may be seen as "callous or uncaring", when in fact we do care a great deal, but have become somewhat "resigned" to seeing this because we know what "is out there", so to speak.
I've worked with LE for many years in the area of child sexual abuse investigations. You build up a very strong outer shell when you deal with this on a daily basis. It doesn't mean you don't care...it is simply a protective shield that you have to build for your own survival and mental health.

But child abduction/murders have been in the news for 20 years now. Stranger danger is part of our culture. Think of shows like SVU, Criminal Minds, CSI. I find it hard to believe that a case in 2012 would make people aware of sexual predators for the first time. I think some people are watching their kids more because it happened nearby. Once this killer is caught, or even if he's not, in a month or two, those same kids will be unsupervised again.

Thinking.... If I am correct in assuming that her clothes were in her backpack, maybe some of the chemical used on the cloth near her mouth got on the collar of her shirt. Or on her little glasses. :( But clothing would be more likely.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

...or in her lungs? If the people attacked say it burned, then it would affect the lungs, right?

We are all just trying to figure out how to find out who did this to Jessica. I don't think anyone's opinions are laughable, and I certainly don't think anyone is trying to be offensive.

I was just trying to think "out of the box" because it perhaps helps open other avenues of thought. Do I think it's a drug cartel? Probably not. But could it be some kind of "group" doing this and their purpose is something different than what we might expect. (i.e. the boogey man.) I know it sounds really sick, but often times the truth turns out to be quite different than what anyone expects.

JMO
It's fine to explore all possible avenues...I don't knock that. But the idea of this being a gang related thing has been brought up repeatedly, and from day one I have seen people saying they think this was done by "a mexican" based on nothing more than their opinion that Colorado has a "problem" with Mexicans/illegal immigrants. We have spent a great deal of time discussing the possibility that this is someone of hispanic descent, to the point where it is now getting erroneously reported as an unequivocal fact in MSM. That's exactly the kind of thing that could end up working AGAINST finding Jessica's killer. Imagine if someone has suspicions about someone, but they don't make that call because the rumor mill is telling them this was done by a Mexican.

I'm sure that you, along with most people here, don't have any malicious intent. It's a small number of people who are just plain stereotyping, and I find it hugely distracting.

JMO

I think we can share our opinions of theories without attacking the POSTER, and I agree that the cartel theory is way left field. If it is what some of us want to discuss, have at it. An organized cartel having a member hang out on jogging trails? Place a bookbag with clothes in a neighborhood? LE beleives the perp is local. I trust their judgement. Heck, someone can call it in that it might be a cartel and let them work that angle if they see prudent.

:/ Parents still have to work and kids still have to get to school. Unfortunately I don't think a change of pace is viable for all people.

I am not blaming any parents. Just saying that "city in fear" is very sensational.

But child abduction/murders have been in the news for 20 years now. Stranger danger is part of our culture. Think of shows like SVU, Criminal Minds, CSI. I find it hard to believe that a case in 2012 would make people aware of sexual predators for the first time. I think some people are watching their kids more because it happened nearby. Once this killer is caught, or even if he's not, in a month or two, those same kids will be unsupervised again.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct about that assessment in general. I do believe though, that there will be several parents that will take the impact of this case to heart and live their life with a bit more awareness and caution than they did previously. That is my hope anyway. To reach "some" is better than reaching "none". And those that are affected will move on from this case and educate others in their own circle, and so on and so on. It starts with a few....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member