CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has LE said whether or not there is a tie between the attempted abduction in Aurora and Jessica's case?

Aurora police say they have no reason to believe this case is connected to any other incidents and they believe it is an isolated event.

--------------

If you read the news articles, Jessica's mom worked the night shift and slept during the day. She had her cell phone in another room because she was getting a lot of calls from some marketer, and didn't want to be disturbed. Therefore, she didn't know that Jessica was missing from school for many hours.

Here's what I'm wondering:

Was there a person, perhaps totally unrelated to the family, who knew of times when Jessica would be on her own, isolated and vulnerable.

A couple of ideas I have, just for example:

1) Someone who communicated with her father while he was incarcerated.

2) Someone who communicated with her mother while she was at work.

yes I am well aware of WHY they weren't reported missing right away, but it is very coincidental. like someone knows their freedom and independence levels. If you have read all the threads you will see I've been posting since the beginning so have obviously read everything.

Or lives with people who take short trips on long weekends... for example, Aunt Bea goes to Pueblo to visit niece / nephew, leaves Friday and comes back Monday. Perp has at least 48 hours to keep and dispose of victim, and clean up, before Aunt Bea comes home. Just speculating.
Hey! I don't want this creeps hypothetical Aunt Bea coming to Pueblo! Send her to Sterling, or something! lol
OT Funny story I wanted to share with you folks from Sat. night, though. We drove out on a country road west of here to view the meteor shower at midnight. First, I saw a blue tarp. Okay. Then I noticed two crosses stuck in a barbwire fence. Near these are a mattress, cooler and other debris. We pulled into a driveway, and proceed to watch for meteors in spite of the fact that I'm at 50 yrs, terrified. While sitting there, I can clearly hear something EATING on the other side of the road. I'm feeling like I'm in a sequel to "The Blair Witch Project". I was like, "MKay, I don't care if I ever see another meteor-I wanna go home-NOW!" The next day, we went back out there in the daytime. The bf could tell that the crosses were some crude way to tighten the fence, the coolers were body parts and organ free, and nothing had blood on it at all- I think someone was moving and lost stuff off their truck. Oh, and someone had dumped 3 elk and deer carcasses right by where we were parked, and it was probably a coyote or badger dining on them that I heard.

O/T: I actually do drive around with a chemically treated rag in my glove compartment. It is pure oil of peppermint; it's there from about September through April to deter mice from nesting in the engine compartment (which they do every winter if I do not use the oil).

The chemical on the rags in question might not be chloroform at all. Peppermint oil is very concentrated and could subdue a person if they breathed in enough of it. Now, I doubt that's what the perp used on the jogger, but he could have used something like that...something really easy to get that would not raise red flags if ordered online or bought at a B&M store.

"Materasso also told 7NEWS that a material found during the investigation, previously called in as a clump of hair, is being tested. It may be a synthetic material.

"They’re going to collect it as though it has potential evidentiary value," Materasso said.

Additionally, he said that investigators did investigate receipts but said is is some confusion and misunderstanding about how they came into play.

"There is no connection between the receipts and the trash bag surrounding the recovery of Jessica’s body near Pattridge Park Open Space," Materasso said."

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/natio...-connected-to-attack-on-jogger-at-ketner-lake

So what about the 'clump'.....? ...wig?....Barbie hair?.....stuffed animal hair?....any thoughts?

Maybe with both of these abductions they happened in a park near a lake(water) and there was no tub.

yes, and the map where Autumn Pasquale went missing looks SOOOO similar to the area around Ketner lake. I guess they're not related but I really just wonder.

Good catch. Looks like he DID try to open that door.

TY, but I did not catch it. Another poster did, which prompted me to go look at the video again. And sure enough...there it was.

It makes me a bit nervous to put something on that I could not easily slip out of if grabbed. Too easy for an attacker to grab me from behind by the backpack and control my movements while safely out of range of my hands and making it easier to avoid my feet.

Then once he has me under control, a couple cuts with a box cutter and the backpack is gone.

I'd also be a bit nervous about putting such a backpack on a child that would be getting into and out of vehicles. Too easy to get caught up on something and then a second of inattention turns it into a tragedy.

I may well be wrong, I'm no safety expert.

also, as far as I can tell those backpacks just have an alarm. if the kid is walking alone, I want GPS and a panic button direct to 911 on it.

I'm thinking he lives alone. Maybe has a storage locker? His own basement or garage? An abandoned home? The motels are a thought, but I would think there are too many eyes to see there and he wanted someplace that wasn't as busy.

I don't know how to quote the previous quote this one ^^^^ was referring to, but I liked that as well and will try to refer from memory.

Just to rule it out in my mind, I don't believe he did what he did to Jessica outside, even in some remote location. Too risky, too hard to clean up.

Going on the idea it was inside somewhere, whether he lives alone or roommates/family were out of town, or it was in another location like an abandoned building, basement, garage... possibility that it was soundproofed? I don't even want to expound upon that, I'm just imagining if he has neighbors and he's ... he would want to be 1000% that nobody would come snooping around. A legitimate cover for this could be if he plays music (instruments or CD's)... my good friend has a band and his neighbors asked him to soundproof their living froom where they jam. Not that anyone needs an excuse to soundproof, but that could allow for the perp to be living amongst unsuspecting neighbors in a normal area. Instead of a remote shack in a field.

As for the motel idea,... again I'm not familiar with the area at all so a local would be better to weigh in. I've gone on vacations in really nice places before and happened to end up in the one dirty alleyway with dirty sleazy motels. Pre-booked and pre-paid and couldn't get my money back. Left immediately anyway but the people who I saw at those places were NOT paying any attention to anyone else or what they were doing or carrying. Unless there was some undercover operation going on. Are there seedy places like this in or around Westminster? Junky parts? People who would've paid with cash? No surveillance cams? Probably loads of DNA piled up from rooms not being cleaned for months. Would be tough to track a perp back to the room and he could be done with that location.
??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/jessica-ridgeway-case-pol_n_2004872.html

"We are able to say that there is a direct connection between the attempted abduction at Ketner Lake that occurred during the Memorial Day weekend and the Jessica Ridgeway investigation," Westminster police investigator Trevor Materasso said at a news conference.

Materasso would not say what the link is nor would he say if the police believe that suspects in both cases are the same person. "We're limited beyond that to talk in detail or give specifics of how those two connections are made," Materasso said.

bbm

I'm not going to say you guys are wrong to be so concerned about stranger abduction, because it could happen, but don't forget that if your child is being sexually molested, it's far far far more likely to be a trusted teacher or coach, the relative of a friend, or a friend or relative you regularly invite into your house than it is to be a random stranger.

Okay, I sometimes feel people see what they want to see with respect to some of this stuff, and I didn't pay too much attention to the 'back door opening' thing with the bar abduction, possibly because someone swore up and down that the car was a 2-door. The neon sign reflection theory seemed reasonable. But having watched it today on my large monitor at work, blown up, I'm pretty sure there is a back door opening between about 1:11 and 1:14. If you're careful with the frames you can see the gap of the door opening getting larger.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...kidnapping-outside-bar-investigated-in-aurora

Screenshot mine.

but frame by frame shows that one instant it appears to be 4 inches open, and the next frame it is completely shut. I agree that it was the reflection of the neon sign flashing from the bar. it looks like a 2 door car to me. the front passenger door is wide enough to cover part of the backseat and there is not enough room behind it for a rear door.
so creepy how he's crouching down beside and behind the car.

Here is a screen capture that I did....looks as tho the woman got away from both guys....two on the ground in yellow circle, woman in red, and the door opening.....there are more that two involved in this....MO

I hope I did this right...LOL

Attachments

• 3 here.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
Here is a screen capture that I did....looks as tho the woman got away from both guys....two on the ground in yellow circle, woman in red, and the door opening.....there are more that two involved in this....MO

I hope I did this right...LOL

That is a shadow on the ground.

Someone upthread, I believe it was Otto, asked why everyone keeps saying Hispanic. In this article it says the suspect in the lake ketner attempt was Hispanic. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...kidnapping-outside-bar-investigated-in-aurora

CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia reported Sunday night that the case bears some similarities to an attempted abduction case five months ago near Ketner Lake in Westminster.

In that case, a Hispanic male, 5 feet 6 to 5 feet 8 inches tall.* He also attempted to use a rag with chemicals on it to subdue a woman.

I saw a guy matching this and the candyman sketch exactly at King Soopers in N. CO about an hour ago. I grabbed my DD's hand so fast. He only went in to use the bathroom and left.

Another mysterious disappearance of a woman in the west Denver area was Amy Ahonen.

She is a 38 year old who disappeared July 8th, 2011 from a pull-off area along Highway 6, about 7 miles west of Golden Colorado, in the mountains. Her unlocked Jeep Cherokee was found parked in the pull-off area, with her keys, purse and phone inside...so it didn't appear that she was going hiking. At the time, Clear Creek, which the highway runs along, was swollen and rushing due to the snow melting in the mountains, so police initially thought she may have fallen in. But there has been no sign of her in Clear Creek, and being familiar with that area myself, I think it's unlikely (although possible) that she could have been in the river for this long without her body or some sign of her being found. There was a report that someone driving by may have seen her with a man that day, but it's unclear how reliable that sighting was. She also had an issue with a man who responded to a Craigslist ad for a roommate she had posted some time earlier, the man had scared her enough to immediately remove the ad.

Really makes me wonder if this perp could be connected.

Here is Amy's thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144226"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144226[/ame]

So what about the 'clump'.....? ...wig?....Barbie hair?.....stuffed animal hair?....any thoughts?

the only thing I can think of that looks like human hair is a wig or maybe a realistic doll.

a wig could be human hair...or hair extensions.

there were a rash of abduction attempts in NJ before Autumn went missing. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/2...ink-between-autumn-pasquale-death-and-recent/
these attempts must be made more public with stronger warnings. no kid should be out alone with this stuff going on.
the saddest thing about this is Jessica had the Candyman abduction attempt flyer in her backpack and was still out by herself.

this is NJ's reaction. (I grew up in New England so maybe that's why I feel this way too)
""Until they find out who did it, you don't let your kids out," he said."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/23/missing-girl-nj-pasquale/1651305/

Aurora police say they have no reason to believe this case is connected to any other incidents and they believe it is an isolated event.

And unless they have undeniable PROOF they are willing to take to a courtroom they will continue to comment this way...

Is it just me or do the rest of you not believe there are this many copycats/ wanna be's out there?

I don't believe it...sorry. I think more cases are connected than LE is going to come out in MSM and admit. They seem to "have no reason to believe" connections until they can prove it in court. I find this extremely disturbing that there are all these "unrelated" cases...yet apparently there is no public safety issue.:waitasec:

I know LE is doing the very best they can to find these people...I do. It's just hard to interpret what is truth and what is to prevent panic in communities that face multiple "like-crimes" such as these.

:moo:

I :please: they find these people and make examples of them.

I'm not going to say you guys are wrong to be so concerned about stranger abduction, because it could happen, but don't forget that if your child is being sexually molested, it's far far far more likely to be a trusted teacher or coach, the relative of a friend, or a friend or relative you regularly invite into your house than it is to be a random stranger.

True. This makes me shudder. Well, the alternative makes me shudder too. Basically I'm shuddering a lot here.

On a somewhat similar note, do we know if Jessica was involved in any extracurricular activities? Soccer, gymnastics, dance? Can't remember specifics from the memorial but she has always been described and shown to be such a happy, energetic, joyful little girl who I can see wanting to be involved in all kinds of activities. This could open up a whole new population of potential offenders. Coaches, volunteers, maintenance workers on a soccer field, janitors in dance studio or in gymnastics arena (whatever you call it). Perhaps boyfriends (now ex-boyfriends) of single moms who picked up fellow classmates of Jessica while she was in these classes. These would be perfect places for someone to blend right in where they belonged and scout out victims, maybe learning routines?

Similiarly, was Jessica involved in any mentoring programs like Big Brothers Big Sisters? Back in my college days I did BBBS "In school" program. Once a week a group from our college went directly to the kids' schools and spent an hour with them.. helping with homework, talking, reading, doing arts and crafts, etc. It's always males matched with boys and females matched with girls but the kids all knew who all of the volunteers were and vice versa. We had extensive background checks but I can't remember if we had fingerprints taken. If not BBBS, some other kind of program where he could've directly or indirectly had access to or knowledge of JR. LE clearly has knowledge of all of this and is cross referencing everything but if we come across something like this that matches the perp's physical description, couldn't hurt.

I'm starting to think if not Jessica, he had an idea of the kids in that general area. It was only a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member