CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put it past some sick, deranged person to "toy" with LE.

You could be right. Have there been any cases of child sex offenders doing something like this? I can't think of any offhand but perhaps others do.

Maybe....parents of school age kids should list someone other than themselves as the contact person if they work the graveyard shift.

Just a comment regarding the possibility of searching the landfill. If God forbid, the perp disposed of Jessica in a dumpster, why wouldn't he/she have disposed of her back pack at the same time? Do we really believe the perp is taunting LE and the public by "staging" the back pack?

This case reminds me so much of Somer Thompson's case but the bookbag being left in plain sight reminds me of Sierra Lamar's case when so many were convinced she had left her purse in plain sight where it could easily be found.....which turned out not to be the case.

Maybe they put it there since children often leave school stuff scattered there. Maybe that area is familiar. Maybe they did this because they didnt want to be caught with it in their car or home.

Personally I just think it was a convenient place to leave it. Imo they put it there and moved on quickly.

IMO

You could be right. Have there been any cases of child sex offenders doing something like this? I can't think of any offhand but perhaps others do.

I think the backpack (the where and the why it was placed there) is very vital piece to the puzzle. :twocents:

I seriously cannot wrap my mind around it. Maybe some angles to look at would be the who:

1) if placed there by the perp how and why was it placed there?

2) if placed there by someone else how and why?

Maybe....parents of school age kids should list someone other than themselves as the contact person if they work the graveyard shift.

Seems like that would be common knowledge. We are REQUIRED to list 2 additional emergency contacts. We only have one vehicle, so when he is at work or school, it's extremely helpful to have someone else we can depend on.

Most missing persons cases that are solved are due to the public's tips. The American public is a very valuable tool for law enforcement in missing person's investigations.

Example: AMW viewer tips have located over 60 missing children, 1200+ violent fugitives, and 19 of the FBI's 10 most wanted felons; more than any single unit of the bureau...

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/resources.cfm

If Your Child is Missing
Act IMMEDIATELY
. Read more here or call 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).
A Message from John Walsh

When my son Adam was murdered, I began my journey through an America that I wish I knew nothing about. An America where adults do appalling things to children.

Back in 1981 when Adam was abducted, there weren't any resources for endangered children and their families. My wife Revé and I had no idea what to do. In an instant, our lives were turned completely upside down. We just began beating on doors asking for help. We called anyone and everyone. It felt as if we were in charge of the investigation. While we feared for our son's safety, we were also angry at the system that was supposed to protect our son and help us.

Adam's abduction was our private hell -- but it was not an isolated incident. Life is an obstacle course for children in America today. Sadly, stranger abduction cases are just the tip of the iceberg. Physical and psychological violence and abuse, abduction, molestation, and sexual exploitation are all overwhelming in magnitude yet largely unrecognized and underreported.

From the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

With viewers' help America's Most Wanted has helped reunite abducted children with their parents and put lots of perverts behind bars.

AMW is only on TV for 1 hour a week. NCMEC is there 24/7. Since 1984, they've handled 2.5 million calls, assisted law enforcement in the recovery of more than 157,720 children.

Their CyberTipline has handled more than 1,075,400 reports of child sexual exploitation.

True! It was public tips, two in particular, that led to the arrest of Brandon Scott Lavergne, in the Mickey Shunick case. It turns out that he was a predator, who had not only killed before, but was hunting the streets of our community and several other communities. Those tips not only brought closure, but further discovery, and ultimately/undoubtedly saved the lives of future victims.

I think the backpack (the where and the why it was placed there) is very vital piece to the puzzle. :twocents:

I seriously cannot wrap my mind around it. Maybe some angles to look at would be the who:

1) if placed there by the perp how and why was it placed there?

2) if placed there by someone else how and why?

It may have been placed there as a diversionary tactic.

It was found 6 miles from where Jessica went missing, correct?

Maybe wanting to throw LE off that the perp or Jessica is in that area when she nor the perp is in that area.

IMO

I listed my sister and next door neighbor as emergency contacts when I worked nights..but because Jessica was only marked absent, and not involved in an emergency situation at/during school they wouldn't call need to call the emergency numbers. Typically just an automated call home letting the parents know the child was marked absent.

I am actually impressed that the school even called because she was absent. My daughter's (elementary) school doesn't even call if she misses a day and my son's (middle) school calls at 8pm if he missed school.

Is it common practice in other places for school to call when a child isn't there? If so, I am thinking I need to call the schools and have a talk with them about making phone calls to the homes of absent children.

Seems like that would be common knowledge. We are REQUIRED to list 2 additional emergency contacts. We only have one vehicle, so when he is at work or school, it's extremely helpful to have someone else we can depend on.

At the start of each school year, we have a pile of forms to complete. There is a category for emergency contact. That includes two people (parents or guardians), with home, work, and cell phone numbers. These emergency numbers are needed in the event that a child is injured at school. For absences, from kindergarten until the 9th grade, the school phoned within the first hour of the day to notify me if my child was absent - and that only happened if I forgot to notify them. After the 10 grade, the automated absentee calls came in the evening. It is normal practice for the school to make the call to the home and leave a message if no one answers. I don't think any school has the resources to track down each parent for each student that is absent in the event that the first call goes to an answering machine. The assumption is always that the child is simply at home, or skipping, not that the child is abducted.

I am actually impressed that the school even called because she was absent. My daughter's (elementary) school doesn't even call if she misses a day and my son's (middle) school calls at 8pm if he missed school.

Is it common practice in other places for school to call when a child isn't there? If so, I am thinking I need to call the schools and have a talk with them about making phone calls to the homes of absent children.

Hit and miss calling here for the elementary. I don't know on the middle school, but high school they don't call till after 6pm.

Yep I think all of us should have some talks with our home school districts, that don't seem to have good plans.

In our parish, I get a call by 10am if either my kindergartener or my senior is absent. It is just a one time automated call though. They do not call to actually speak with me.

Pretty lengthy article
20121009__20121010_A1_CD10JESSICA~p1_200.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...-jessicas-return-investigators-probe-wyo-case

I listed my sister and next door neighbor as emergency contacts when I worked nights..but because Jessica was only marked absent, and not involved in an emergency situation at/during school they wouldn't call need to call the emergency numbers. Typically just an automated call home letting the parents know the child was marked absent.

That's what I mean....if a parent knows they won't be answering their phone, don't list your number as a contact. Grandma lived there. Put her as the primary contact person and others as emergency contacts. The school can't be responsible for everything! All the paperwork sent home and when the child is enrolled explains all of this.

I have 3 ppl on my contact list! ours cell numbers and work numbers! so they have 6 numbers they can call.

Where I live in KY, live people call from the elementary school around 10:30 am or so. They just leave a message if you don't answer.

The middle school leaves an automated message around 11 am.

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR
Police: We have no reason to believe #JessicaRidgeway isn't alive and well. Get more real-time updates from the search: http://bit.ly/SIvgCk
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Another example of semantic LE speak that usually turns out not to be true. And everytime I hear this I pray this time it will be true. :please:

Land, water searches continue as authorities look for missing girl Jessica Ridgeway

At a 6:30 a.m. news conference, Westminster Police Department spokesman Trevor Materasso said crews will continue land searches Wednesday and a dive team will continue to search nearby bodies of water as a precaution.

Part of those precautions include some police activity at a nearby landfill. Materasso said police have secured the trash that was collected from the area around the time of the girl's disappearance, but are not actively searching through the garbage at this time.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...inue-authorities-look-missing-girl?source=pkg

I am just very troubled by all this this morning, I can't even imagine how her family feels.

I will never understand how some people just find it acceptable to just steal our children, the grief, pain, worry, fear it instills on the family and even the communities surrounding.... It is so heartbreaking.

People like these are the devil plain and simple and do not deserve to breathe another day....
I'll be sending lots of prayers today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018