Found Deceased CO - Kiaya Campbell, 10, Thornton, 7 June 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thornton police spokesman Officer Victor Avila would not say whether the 15-year-old acquaintance Campbell was walking with is the teen who was arrested."

(Cough)

Snip

"The 15-year-old was arrested at around 11:38 p.m. Saturday and was booked into the Adams County Juvenile Facility, police said.*

The investigation is still ongoing."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ction-with-10-year-old-thornton-girls-killing

http://kdvr.com/2017/06/11/15-year-old-boy-arrested-in-death-of-10-year-old-kiaya-campbell/

"On Sunday, Thornton police thanked everyone involved in the search and the investigation.

“During the course of this investigation several local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, to include the Thornton Fire Department, Adams County School District 12 and many other search and rescue teams assisted the Thornton Police Department. We would like to express our sincere gratitude to those agencies as they proved to be an invaluable resource,” officials stated. “We would also like to thank the community for their willingness to assist in the search for Kiaya and for all the calls received on the tip line providing information on this case.”

Neighbors described the young girl as a beautiful soul who was vivacious and innocent."

Glad there has been an arrest. Sleep well sweet Kiaya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omg. What an absolute mess. Her parents must be devastated. His mom's probably feeling destroyed. What a senseless, pointless crime. Poor little girl. My heart is breaking

This case reminds me of the Alyssa Bustamante murder case. AM's apparent motive was "just to see what it felt like" to murder someone. So sad. 🙁
Was thinking the same thing. I suspect something like that to be the case her personally

Is murder in the first degree premeditated?
I had to look it up to make sure, but yes:

'First-degree murder: any intentional murder that is willful and premeditated with malice aforethought. Felony murder is typically first-degree. Second-degree murder: any intentional murder with malice aforethought, but is not premeditated or planned'

Colorado
Lower Age:10
Upper Age:17

Discretionary WaiverColo. Rev. Stat. Sec. 19-2-518
The juvenile court may certify a child meeting age/offense criteria for trial as an adult in district court if, after investigation and a hearing, it finds that (1) there is probable cause to believe that the child committed an offense for which judicial waiver is authorized and (2) "it would be contrary to the best interests of the juvenile or of the public to retain jurisdiction." The law lists 14 specific factors to be considered in making the determination. While the presence of certain factors in a case constitutes prima facie evidence in favor of transfer (see Presumptive Waiver), the weight to be given to the various factors is otherwise committed to the court's discretion. Written reports may be considered in making the determination, but at the request of any party the authors must appear and be cross-examined.

Offense CategoryMinimum AgeOffense Detail
Certain Felonies12/1412—Class 1 or 2 felony.
14—Any felony.
Murder12Murder, or the conspiracy or attempt to commit murder, where it involves either (1) the use, threatened use, or possession of a deadly weapon or (2) serious bodily injury or death.
Person12Any felonious unlawful sexual offense involving either bodily injury to the victim or the use of threats, intimidation, or force; any of a long list of crimes (first or second degree assault, kidnapping, sexual assault, aggravated robbery, escape, criminal extortion, first degree arson, first degree burglary, and crimes against at-risk adults or at-risk juveniles), if it involves either (1) the use, threatened use, or possession of a deadly weapon; or (2) the causing of serious bodily injury or death.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/tryingjuvasadult/states/co.html

I had to look it up to make sure, but yes:

'First-degree murder: any intentional murder that is willful and premeditated with malice aforethought. Felony murder is typically first-degree. Second-degree murder: any intentional murder with malice aforethought, but is not premeditated or planned'

As a 15 year old, is there a different charge because he is a child? I would hope that he is not tried as an adult. This just seems really messed up, and not something such that a 15 year old should never again see the light of day. Furthermore, at the age of 15, there should be adequate services to successfully change his behavior ... if not, modern psychology should be deemed nonsense.

I'm glad there's been an arrest, but depressed that it's who we thought it was going to be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As a 15 year old, is there a different charge because he is a child? I would hope that he is not tried as an adult. This just seems really messed up, and not something such that a 15 year old should never again see the light of day. Furthermore, at the age of 15, there should be adequate services to successfully change his behavior ... if not, modern psychology should be deemed nonsense.

You can't treat psychopathy, unfortunately. Some people are just wired wrong. Not saying that is the case with this boy, but at 15 and causing 'severe trauma and potential sexual assault' (as quoted in a link above), I hope he is charged as adult. 15 year olds know right from wrong and he is clearly a danger to people.

Todd Kohlhepp had oodles of therapy and progressed from rape as a juvenile to a serial killer.

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Since the description of her body was 'gruesome/horrific'... I hate to think what was done to her. :(
Was she dismembered or mutilated ?

Going to give my thoughts on this--but just want to give a disclaimer my comments may be upsetting to read. I don't mean to offend or cause any additional discomfort, but I ultimately went into medicine and public health to share information and educate where I am able. I much rather prefer when I'm able to make people feel better, but I've had to learn to be okay with giving the bad and ugly when the circumstance arises.

<modsnip>

Mo Shellshocker: 'severe trauma and potential sexual assault' (as quoted in a link above)

Couldn't find the source. Could you please provide the link. TIA

Couldn't find the source. Could you please provide the link. TIA

Sorry, I didn't mean directly above. It was in one of the links posted after the body was found, I didn't post it, I just read it as part of this thread - it said, paraphrasing, that she was being examined to see if there was a sexual assault

I've just seen something on Facebook - am I allowed to post it? (unrelated to my above statement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly