CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Douglas County Sheriff's have two maps marking the location and information posted on their site, in their appeal for information in their investigation of the fatally shot gentleman

https://www.facebook.com/DouglasCountySheriff

"DCSO seeks Public’s Help with Death Investigation
Posted on July 4, 2015"

Rainbow-Falls-Park.jpg.jpg

Thanks for that map shot from the Douglas Co. Sheriff's Office. Here's what the Sheriff's area of interest looks like against the Google satellite background. The oval is about 2.5 miles from side to side.

o-mAIAalwKPoGW5W5dlL2bLrlUE3pZd6sr0ggFQT4ec=w740-h548-no

No FindHG, there was cash/money left in plain view at NS's grandparent's house. Nothing was disturbed. NS would have known that he would be the primary suspect in the murders, and imo received defense injuries; cuts, scratches, etc., from one of the victims, while committing this savage and brutal crime. Imo, it wasn't about money. The solo auto crash in his grandparents vehicle was likely a feeble attempt to establish an alibi and justification for his defensive wounds he received in the attack...

JMO
Awhile back there was some discussion and ideas that suggested maybe bicyclists and pedestrians were being targeted in the shootings because they somehow inflamed the shooter. And I had discussed if maybe the shooter had a previous car accident because they tried to avoid a bicyclist or pedestrian and wrecked their vehicle in the process. And maybe even got a ticket at the accident scene that got them even madder.

Just wondering about this guys accident along those lines. Just musing and wondering if this guys accident may fit into a scenerio like that.

JMO
Awhile back there was some discussion and ideas that suggested maybe bicyclists and pedestrians were being targeted in the shootings because they somehow inflamed the shooter. And I had discussed if maybe the shooter had a previous car accident because they tried to avoid a bicyclist or pedestrian and wrecked their vehicle in the process. And maybe even got a ticket at the accident scene that got them even madder.

Just wondering about this guys accident along those lines. Just musing and wondering if this guys accident may fit into a scenerio like that.
rbbm

Yep, me too, Hatfield, as you say,

"Just musing and wondering if this guys accident may fit into a scenerio like that.

Who knows? Seems a strange association.

Update from your link:

"Shooting Victim Identified, DCSO Seeks Public's Help -
The Douglas County coroner has legally identified the camper who was shot and killed by an errant bullet as Glenn A. Martin, 60 years old.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office hopes you can help. If you were shooting a high-powered rifle in the area of Rainbow Falls Park in the Pike National Forest or if you saw anyone shooting a high powered rifle on Friday July 3, 2015 around 6:30 p.m., please contact the DCSO Major Tip Line 303-660-7579 or call Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720.913.7867."

Shooting Victim Identified, DCSO Seeks Public's Help -
The Douglas County coroner has legally identified the camper who was shot and killed by an errant bullet as Glenn A. Martin, 60 years old.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office hopes you can help. If you were shooting a high-powered rifle in the area of Rainbow Falls Park in the Pike National Forest or if you saw anyone shooting a high powered rifle on Friday July 3, 2015 around 6:30 p.m., please contact the DCSO Major Tip Line 303-660-7579 or call Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720.913.7867.

Thanks you, magz, for the Douglas County Sheriff's update

May Glenn A. Martin, 60, rest in peace and whomever shot the bullet that ended his life be known, soon, and may his family know they have the sympathy and condolences of so many, may they persevere.

Area-Map-Of-Rainbow-Falls.jpg

Thanks you, magz, for the Douglas County Sheriff's update

May Glenn A. Martin, 60, rest in peace and whomever shot the bullet that ended his life be known, soon, and may his family know they have the sympathy and condolences of so many, may they persevere.

Area-Map-Of-Rainbow-Falls.jpg

It must be noted that while there is a good chance imo that this was an accident, someone shooting their gun in the woods, it was July 4th weekend. Many people I know around here went camping this weekend, as this is Colorado, summertime... while this incident is out of the geographical range as related to the other incidents, I think that IF this is not an accident there is a chance our perp could have been camping for the holiday weekend (if NS is not our guy). Jmo.

Thanks everyone for your efforts here. :)

Shooter sought after camper hit by 'errant bullet'
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/07/06/rainbow-falls-park-shooting-victim/29771899/

"DOUGLAS COUNTY – Metro Denver Crime Stoppers is offering a $2,000 reward for information about the identity of the person who may have accidentally struck a camper with an errant bullet Friday evening.

The victim, identified as 60-year-old Glenn Martin of Monument, died at the scene. He had been camping at Rainbow Falls Park."

Probably O/T:

Hundreds of mailboxes vandalized in Weld County
http://www.9news.com/story/news/crime/2015/07/06/mailboxes-vandalized-weld-county/29764209/

"WELD COUNTY - On Independence Day, Weld County deputies found hundreds of mailboxes vandalized throughout a neighborhood.

Deputies discovered the mailboxes at 3:45 a.m. in the area of Aristocrat Acres, near Ft. Lupton."

Weld County authorities seek tips in massive mailbox destruction
Sheriff's office says vandalism centered in Aristocrat Acres neighborhood
By Jesse Paul, The Denver Post, 4+ hrs ago

[...]

"Some of the mailboxes were destroyed, while others had the mail removed from the mailboxes and scattered about,"

[...]

~

Hundreds of mailboxes ransacked Arvada on July 2 and Weld County on July 4
Phil Tenser, DenverNewsChannel,
10:51 am, Jul 6, '15 2 hours ago

"8400 block of 81st Drive
7600-7800 blocks of Reed Street
Area around 74th & DeFrame"

[...]

"around 3:45 a.m. on July 4... during a patrol."

[...]

"Victims of the mailbox vandals in Arvada, who haven't yet made a police report, are asked to contact the police department and reference master case report 15-9541."
aristo. mailbox vandalism.jpg

"Signs near the entrance of the Rainbow Falls Campground warn visitors that shooting is illegal, but gunshots could be heard Sunday and shotgun casing were found on several trails near the campsite where the man was killed in southwest Douglas County."

http://kdvr.com/2015/07/05/man-shot-and-killed-while-camping-at-rainbow-falls/

Douglas County authorities ID man killed by apparently errant bullet
Glenn A. Martin, 60, killed while camping in Pike National Forest
By Elizabeth Hernandez and Jesse Paul, The Denver Post,

7/6/15 10:42:57 am, mdt, updated with video and file pictures of this park area

Mr. G. Martin, 60, killed at Rainbow Falls.jpg

Mr. Glenn A. Martin

"was sitting in a camping chair alongside his family on Friday in the Pike National Forest when suddenly he "just went down."

"Are you OK?" his son-in-law asked.

"No," Martin told her before he was quickly overcome by a bullet wound that would soon end his life."

[... Mr. Martin's family are]

calling whomever fired the bullet "irresponsible" and "dumb."

[... due to all the shooting heard, they noted that]

"at one point they warned forest officials in the area."

[...]

"Roasting marshmallows one minute and the next minute just,"... "Blood."

[... Rocky Mountain Regional Office, spokesman said]

"Forests are generally open to target shooting, but you cant shoot across roadways or near recreation sites,"... "You need to have a backdrop."

[...]

~

Tak Landrocks, FOX31 Denver, 12:11 pm, July 6, '15,
reports in the broadcast from the previous night that the area takes LE about 2 hours to reach, does not have a park ranger, has many shoot gun casings and it shows the fire pit where he was camped, July 4th evening.

casing litter.jpg
Fire pit.jpg
Rec park goers.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-07-06 at 4.07.08 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-07-06 at 4.07.08 PM.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 43
Family wants help finding person who fired stray bullet that killed their father at campsite
Tammy Vigil, FOX31,
6:16 pm, July 6 '15,

covers the family's moving appeal to find who killed the much beloved Mr. Martin. Ms. Vigil reports when the family had reported the shooting to park rangers, they were told by the rangers 'the group' of shooters were shooting in the 'other direction' away from them.

“I used to tell people, ‘My daddy walks on water.’ He was up there with God. My dad would say I can only walk on water when it’s frozen,” said Carlie.

“He was surrounded by the ones he loved. He was very happy. Then, the whole world cracked,” she said.

Camper was about to roast marshmallows with grandchildren when he was hit by fatal bullet
Investigators don't know if killing was accident
Alan Gathright, Kristen Skovira, NEWS7
6:19 PM, Jul 6 '15

[...]

"Unsure what had happened and unable to use their cellphones in the mountains, Chris and Carlie loaded the stricken Martin into a sport utility vehicle and raced to meet first-responders. They kept calling 911 until they were able to report the medical emergency."

"... heard distant gunshots before Martin was hit. They reported it to a ranger."

"... urging whoever fired the errant shot to come forward."

"It just happened. You never know when you're going to go. You can be sitting at a campfire waiting to roast marshmallows with your grandchildren talking to your son in law and you're just done,"

[...]

Off Topic:

Vandals target mailboxes in Arvada neighborhoods
Dan Daru reports 6:24 pm, FOX31
, July 6, '15
video worth watching

Acting quickly on a tip, Arvada Police soon arrested three male suspects.

The elderly couple found dead in their Glendale home last Sunday both died of blood loss from traumatic injuries, police said.

Blood loss from traumatic injuries is a polite way of saying that they were both beheaded, imo..

OMG! Please no, I hadn't thought of that!!

This is essentially off topic from the NOCO shootings/shatterings, IMO, but on topic as to mapping and sleuthing. FindHG gulled me into rechecking the Glenn Martin shooting location in the Rainbow Falls Park area of Pikes National Forest and pretty soon I was totally confused about where to put the marker. Here are some of the problems I had:

- Fox31 had a Google map shot showing the location as 5 miles too far south.
- Fox seems have to mapped the location based on a website maintained by FreeCampSites.net, which also shows the Rainbow Falls campsite too far south. (Google maps also mislabels the same campsite, calls it the "Colorado Campground", which is a different campsite even further south).
- The Fox31 reporter had gone to actual site of the shooting, but reported it as "camp 248C". He should have said "road 348C", to judge by FindHG's screenshot from the Fox video.

Only the Douglas County Sheriff's Office had it right, in a Google map they posted to their 'Newsroom' site, just off of road 348C. No MSM had picked up that map, and neither had I, initially. A cautionary tale, I figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46