Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He tried, lamely.

He had 5 weeks to pack up, move out, and file for legal separation.

Or during that time he could have changed the locks, filed, and requested an emergency protective order and sole possession of the home.

He had a choice to be a somewhat decent human being in the abandonment of his wife and children. He could have had legal papers served to her in NC. It would have allowed her time to come to grips with the new changes thrust upon her by her lying cheater. It would have provided a cooling off period.

Yet, he didn’t. Adulting is hard for some people.

This is a great point! While his wife and kids were across the country, he could've packed up and left! WHY WHY WHY did he not just do that??? IMO a dude who leaves his pregnant wife is a better look than a dude who kills his pregnant wife and IMO his kids

@Gardenista

No, he didn’t. The tape of him on all fours peeking into that hole for 30 minutes, standing up to stretch his back and then getting back down to peek some more was given to the DA by my attorney and they did nothing. I don’t know if it was because he was “The Good Doctor” or money was offered. Something was wrong about that. And just to clarify...my daughter went in that bathroom fully dressed and stayed fully dressed. I told her to just run the bath water. That must’ve made him nuts! Crawling on the floor for 30 minutes for nothing.
OMG!! That's disgusting. So, so glad you guys got out of that situation.
(((Hugs)))

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just wanted to add that there is also an article from Denver 7, that states that two local LE informed the reporter that Chris Watts had confessed to killing his wife and two children. The other article states that family members made the same statement. This was Wednesday night, so this was his original story. The following day he was charged with the murders. This must be the information the defense is claiming was leaked to the media. They may have jumped the gun a little, but in my opinion they were telling the truth. The fact that he apparently changed his story is what originally made me think he was guilty. First he admits it, then the next day it's a whole different story? I just don't see how people can believe that. Jmo
I saw that too perhaps that’s why defense filed the motion about the media leaks.

How much were the life insurance policies worth? Also how long would he have to wait to have them declared dead in Colorado if their bodies hadn't been located?
Only thing life insurance wouldn’t pay on a missing family unless he could prove they were dead unless he was going to set it up like someone else murdered them eventually until NA botched his plans.

This is a great point! While his wife and kids were across the country, he could've packed up and left! WHY WHY WHY did he not just do that??? IMO a dude who leaves his pregnant wife is a better look than a dude who kills his pregnant wife and IMO his kids

That is the pithiest, most pointed remark yet on these boards! Excellent!

Not. Soon. Enough!

Totally agree.... but I doubt we will get much information between now and the trial (if there is one).... a long, long time. Trying to find an untainted jury pool may be hard pressed. Although, it is surprising how many folks may not of even heard of this horrific crime. Here in the southeast, I have talked to a few who, when I tell them I am so concerned about this, may have briefly heard of it, others not at all. While AB has it out there daily, MSM TV not so much after the first few days.

I have absolute respect for our judicial system here in the US...... but sometimes, I just don't know. I was a juror on a case a few years ago. The trial lasted 3 days, with witnesses (including the victim & defendant taking the stand), experts from the State and county, etc.....

When the trial was over we the jurors, left the courtroom to deliberate. In the end, all 12 of us could not get past "beyond a reasonable doubt" and had to acquit the defendant. After deliberation we returned to the small, quiet courtroom to find it full of all local major TV networks, reporters, etc... We were all shocked to see that.

Long story short, apparently this was the first of THREE trials the defendant was to have for the same type of crime. To this day, while I and the 11 other jurors did what we were asked to do, it still haunts me that I may have let the victim down. I hope he pleads!!

You really are trying to put words in my mouth. When I spoke of a caretaker for the kids I meant she required someone who could be available apparently for days at a time to assume all parenting duties. The point being if that capability disappeared it would certainly have a serious impact on her freedom, freedom that was a requirement to keep the MLM train rolling.

I never implied any compassion or excuses for what he did nor did I say his actions were understandable. I am commenting on the deeds humans can do when they are in a panicked situation. History has shown us time and time again, people do stupid and unbelievable things when in a chaotic situation even when the potential punishment is minimal, much less allegations of murder.

Sure, he had an affair just like about 1/3 of those involved in all marriages, lets not pretend it is uncommon. That alone didn't mean someone had to 'disappear' or that exposure was going to be a life altering event. It happens countless times every day. Everything points to he had made the decision to leave and she was coming back into town after her extended vacation knowing that was on the table. So, my theory is he was trying to walk away and took the first opportunity when she came home which was the precipitating event of all that followed.
I'm sorry if it comes across like I'm putting words in your mouth, I'm challenging your theory.

In your scenario, SW wants freedom to run a successful business and yet, CW had enough freedom to have at least one affair, maybe more. That doesn't sound fair to me.
SW wanted to be home for her children and make a good living, is that a crime? Maybe it was unrealistic but CW having affairs wasn't going to solve the problem, he could have left the family and proceed with a divorce, that's not uncommon.

Why would a sane person choose to speak to their spouse at 4 am about a separation, why the urgency? If we believe his story, he created the chaotic situation and then, had to cover it up. It just doesn't hold water, imo.

Last edited:
Hmmm from familyharrislaw.com Colorado family and divorce lawyers website. @ray9898

1. A “Separation” simply means that the two of you are now living apart. You do not need to file court documents in order to separate, but you should talk to an attorney about several important issues prior to moving out:

1. The payment of joint and/or household bills
  2. The creation of a parenting plan.
2. To obtain a “Legal Separation” you must file a petition with the Court.
In many ways, filing for a legal separation will require the same amount of time, effort, and money as it will take to obtain a divorce. When filing for legal separation and/or divorce, you will address the division of marital assets and debts, the allocation of parental rights, and orders for maintenance when applicable.

The primary difference is that following a legal separation, you are still married.

Edited to add:

And yes he could have petitioned for the possession of the home. Should have. But he didn’t.
*of course I am probably missing something. Not a Colorado resident. :)

Last edited:
I wonder if CW actually pushed her down the stairs when she got home hoping to knock her out it didn’t kill her so he finished her off by strangling her. Michael Peterson killed his wife that way.
Thats true! Maybe that is that the "ultimately" implies in the affidavit. He may have beat her or hit her in the head with something first. There must be some evidence on those sheets he intended to throw away... jmo

I do think a divorce would have sunk CW financially. Child support on 3 kids, probably some type of spousal support for at least a few years, medical expenses, school expenses, etc. In my state, a community property state (also a fault state), assets/debts would have been added up and divided between the 2 parties.
The child support would come from a chart and based on income of each party. Overwhelming when you think about it but spending life in prison seems like it would be more overwhelming.

Thank you.

If he is telling the truth then rather than try to save his remaining child, he killed his pregnant wife and then disposed of all their bodies like garbage.

If he is lying then he killed 4 people and still disposed of their bodies like garbage.

I have never seen a case in which people have put so much stock in a confessed killer's word-and that is all we have right now. His word.

Frankly, I find it disconcerting.

Exactly. And he already has a history of lying with the fake missing persons story from the beginning. His calm demeanor and intense eye contact during the interview where he was putting on this facade is pretty chilling when you consider in retrospect that it was all a lie and he knew exactly where his family was all along.

So yeah, a proven liar doesn’t really have a ton of credibility if you ask me. It just blows my mind that people actually give anything he says the time of day.

I appreciate your post outlining your theory of what happened and why, I don't agree, of course.

I take issue with describing CW as a caretaker, he was their father not some hapless friend SW coerced into babysitting their children.

'The lies and body disposals were from a panicked man'

I don't understand the compassion for him and excuses for what he did, he was a panicked man so he does what comes naturally? Discard his children in oil tanks and lie through his teeth?! If his story were true, he would have called 911 and try to save at least one life.

The public and the law come down hard on hit and run drivers but somehow here, CW's actions are understandable? The dead bodies he discarded were his own children and his wife!

CW was having an affair with a co-worker, he was living a double life and he was the one losing control, imo. Exposure was inevitable, he had two women to juggle, not an easy feat. One had to go, he chose SW and sadly, his children too!

And how do we know he didn't love the luxuries just as much as SW, or even more?!

Why didn't CW walk away, he didn't need permission from SW.

CW is an enigma at this stage but imo, everything will become much clearer when it comes to trial.
Great post and analogy on the hit and run. I would even take it one step further...his story is akin to him driving a car with his wife as passenger. He claims she grabbed the steering wheel to swerve and hit their children in the yard or street. His claims amount to him then driving away without calling 911 to try and save them and killing her for it. Killing her for it and then going back and hiding the bodies later when they are too past saving now. Then proclaiming I don’t know where my family went. Who would believe that new story once the bodies were found? “My wife did it and I panicked.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members