Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, NUA brought her son along, as she needed back up.
She may have already sensed, there is a problem present.
SW had previously told her, SW will need NUA's support.
We may hear, loads more, in conversations between the two, at the trial.
She is intuitive, as she did call the Police, and disregarded CW's lies.
She is a smart women, and a caring friend.

In the book on Amazon about this case, the author stated that SW was going to take NUA car shopping (Thrive perk) after her Dr.'s appt. That was, (in the author's mind) one of the factors as to NUA's "persistence" in trying to reach SW that morning. Then, of course, things got too strange to ignore. <modsnip - minor children other than BW and CW may not be discussed or mentioned>

Last edited by a moderator:
They are incredibly relevant. It was after this last conversation, that CW issued his partial confession. What happened during that conversation, can offer clarity here.

But no, we shouldn’t accuse him of anything, or speculate about what he may have said. In the courtroom however, that may be a different matter.
I doubt we find out anything about their conversation until trial, if then. I also wonder about the circumstances of CW's confession and whether the defense will question the validity.

I have three toddler grandchildren and they are very picky eaters who are fed, bathed and in bed before their parents eat. I see nothing remarkable in CW grilling at 7:15 pm. JMO
yes I know regulated families as such do function as you state, but the general average family imo including my own experiences are grilling bbq-ing whatever is going on outdoors is an opportunity to get the kids outside in the fresh air and a play.
especially if dads in charge.
if all was hunky dory in the world of watts I personally would assume he would grill with the girls under foot.
my husband certainly would and my kids wouldn't want to be anywhere else.....they love it.

the neighbour noticing he was alone on the night he may or may not have killed his kids is actually very suspicious.

jmo

I doubt we find out anything about their conversation until trial, if then. I also wonder about the circumstances of CW's confession and whether the defense will question the validity.
The defense will question everything. Good luck to them, as they need all the luck they can get.

Yes, I brought this up in an earlier thread. It's as if he's making it clear that he's the good guy, calm and motherly, while Shanann is more like Bella, the trouble maker, always yelling. It may be a subtle way of victim blaming. Jmo
yes im sure it has been brought up before
i just added that I hoped he thought about calm and motherly bella for the rest of his miserable life.

Well he had time for at least one affair so he must not have been too dominated and busy taking care of the kids.
Thank you tara, this needs to be brought up repeatedly, it gets lost in the whole 'CW was the dutiful husband with no time for 'fun'.
LE takes these affairs seriously, it's a sign of deceitfulness, planning, scheming, not always about murder but it is in this case.

Maybe, CW wasn't good with conversations/socializing but this doesn't mean he didn't work hard to secure sexual satisfaction wherever, however. JMO

Wasn't the Watts grill on their deck? Why would small children need to be on that deck as well? The children could have been on the other side of the door in the kitchen where CW could see them. JMO
True, but the neighbor said it stood out to her that she didn't hear the children. I would think it unusual for children that age to prefer to stay inside while their daddy's outside cooking on the grill. I think they were asleep or he had killed them already. I hope the autopsy will show approximate time of death. Jmo

The father had private conversations with CW before he confessed. CW said he would tell the "truth" if he could speak privately with his father at the police dept, and he had already had private time with his father on the way from the airport to Frederick before that.

And after the first private time with his father, picking him up from the airport, CW still lied to Police.
So he required another private session, with his father, to remember things, and tell the truth. MOO.
Rubbish.:D:D

AB 10/04/18
1. Today C.W. did speak on the phone with SW’s parents and brother about probate. It was a 3 way conversation- Between the jail, Courtroom, and SW’s parents. Probate is not part of criminal case, but CW’s attorneys and the DA were all present for the conversation. The DA, Michael Rourke, sat in the gallery of the courtroom, as did Defense Attorney, John Walsh. The Judge sat at his desk. Defense Attorney, Kate Herold was at the jail seated right next to C.W. while he was on a phone. SW’s parents and brother were on a phone in North Carolina. We have no idea who spoke on that call. Hearing was scheduled to be one full hour, but only lasted 10 Minutes and 40 seconds. Since SW’s family was petitioning the court to take over SW’s estate, AB assumes the Judge asked C.W. if he opposed. AB was able to get 1/2 page of notes from the meeting, and on them it said that no one opposed, and specifically, C.W. did not oppose. Why would C.W. want to be in on that call if he wasn’t going to speak? SW’s family called for an emergency meeting so SW’s car and some Life Insurance could be dealt with in a timely manner.
2. CW’s truck was taken away as evidence weeks ago. All 3 bodies were in the back seat. Don’t know how long truck will be held as evidence. Police referred to CW’s truck as a “work truck.” AB showed photo of “1139” in the back window of CW’s truck which certainly makes it look like a work truck, but AB has asked but still not received an answer whether it’s a work truck or if it belonged to C.W. and SW.
3. Guest Attorney Kirk Nurmi (Jodi Arias’s Attorney) talks about probate hearing. Nurmi thinks a lot of things were left unsaid. Attorneys were there to make sure CW didn’t say anything incriminating. CW is under a microscope right now. DA was there to evaluate CW. He’s still trying to decide whether or not to file Death Penalty.
4. Guest, Probate Attorney, Bonnie Bowles, was asked her opinion of 10 minute Probate hearing. 10 minute hearing was probably normal for what they discussed today. It was only to appoint SW’s father as SW’s personal representative, as well as determine SWs heirs. Heirs probably weren’t discussed at that time because the meeting was so short, but they will probably schedule another meeting to discuss SW’s heirs in the future. SW didn’t leave a will, CW is entitled to be sole heir, but if he is convicted of murder, by state law, he is not entitled to anything.
5. Quick claim deed on house is made out equally to SW and C.W. Joint tenants. if CW is convicted, he will not be entitled to house. If he’s not convicted, it belongs to C.W.
6. Kirk Nurmi talks about what it is like to defend somebody everyone hates. How you feel about them personally doesn’t matter. You’re there to defend them. You ignore the animosity for our client. Given the abhorrent behavior, 2 children murdered, Nurmi thinks he would try to plead out before it ever made it to a courtroom, if the DP was off the table, and justice was being served. He would work with the County Attorney to try to resolve things in that manner. AB disagreed with Nurmi because C.W. blamed SW for children’s deaths. With that, C.W. might be able to convince one juror that he’s innocent. Nurmi disagreed with AB. He thinks AB’s perspective is a bit wishful because when you go before a jury with the fact pattern in this case, the reasonable doubt you have is lesser, decreased. We’re talking about a father killing his own children. Once jurors hear that, he’s going to be looked at with skeptical eyes. We also have inconsistent stories, here. CW’s attorneys have to consider what could be lost if he goes to trial. Could it be his entire life? Could it be lethal injection? That’s the calculus that has to be done. The likelihood of his manslaughter story being proven is probably unlikely. AB agrees, except she’s covered cases where irrationality was applied when determining reasonable doubt, like Casey Anthony and OJ. All it takes is one juror.
7. Couldn’t C.W. instruct his attorneys to go for it? Yes. Ultimately the only thing an Attorney can do is show CW the evidence and advise. They can’t twist the clients arm. It is entirely up to C.W.. Nurmi is guessing his attorneys, with this evidence, are trying to advise him to plea.
8. Will the Defense try to have CW’s confession suppressed? Nurmi says, depends on what the ultimate defense is, but if he is arguing manslaughter, his attorney can say C.W. made this confession, it was clearly against his interests because it was true. Therefore, the jury must convict him of manslaughter, not First Degree Murder. The confession is actually more favorable than the other outcomes if he goes to trial.
9. What’s it like to defend a client in a high profile case where everybody hates your client? Nurmi got death threats while defending Jodi Arias. Many people mistakenly believe that Public Defenders are there because they believe in and support their clients, but it’s not true. Defendants have constitutional rights. Public Defenders are assigned these cases.
10. How long will this take? Nurmi says it’s hard to say. If Colorado decides to seek the Death Penalty the time will drag on. Defense Attorneys will have to investigate CW’s life from birth to day of sentencing. That puts things on a different timeframe. Minimum 2 years is not unheard of, maybe more.
11. AB says Prosecutors are probably going to play the porch interviews at the trial, and everybody is going to think C.W. is a liar. Once a liar always a liar. How can Defense get over that? That’s going to be something CW and his attorneys will have to figure out. What was C.W. thinking at the time? What’s the explanation? Was he trying to be consistent with being innocent? Defense is going to have to try to explain.
Viewer Questions
1. Could it be that CW had his girlfriend over that weekend and he freaked out about the girls telling their mom, so he killed them? Maybe he killed SW at the top of the stairs where her phone was found, before he saw that her phone was missing? Sounds logical. Police have to run through every possible theory. Key part is we have a confession, and in that confession CW talks about how he sees SW killing the 2 girls and going into a rage and killing SW. That theory doesn’t fit with that confession. This is all part of the investigation. They made the arrest fairly quickly after the crime was committed. They’ve had all this time to put a case together. Next court date is November 19. They know what C.W. was doing, who he talked to, his affairs, his electronic footprint. They’re putting it all together.
2. What if SW was recording on her phone and she ran through that area and hid her phone right before she was killed. Evidence for the police. That would be a dying declaration. Video evidence has been used before. If that was the case this would play heavily in the prosecution of C.W.
Thank you so much, Layla! Is it my imagination or do they keep getting longer, lol?

I'm in agreement with Nurmi - the likelihood of CW's manslaughter story being proven is unlikely. Also, that CW's attorneys will advise him to plea.

MOO

AB 10/04/18
1. Today C.W. did speak on the phone with SW’s parents and brother about probate. It was a 3 way conversation- Between the jail, Courtroom, and SW’s parents. Probate is not part of criminal case, but CW’s attorneys and the DA were all present for the conversation. The DA, Michael Rourke, sat in the gallery of the courtroom, as did Defense Attorney, John Walsh. The Judge sat at his desk. Defense Attorney, Kate Herold was at the jail seated right next to C.W. while he was on a phone. SW’s parents and brother were on a phone in North Carolina. We have no idea who spoke on that call. Hearing was scheduled to be one full hour, but only lasted 10 Minutes and 40 seconds. Since SW’s family was petitioning the court to take over SW’s estate, AB assumes the Judge asked C.W. if he opposed. AB was able to get 1/2 page of notes from the meeting, and on them it said that no one opposed, and specifically, C.W. did not oppose. Why would C.W. want to be in on that call if he wasn’t going to speak? SW’s family called for an emergency meeting so SW’s car and some Life Insurance could be dealt with in a timely manner.
2. CW’s truck was taken away as evidence weeks ago. All 3 bodies were in the back seat. Don’t know how long truck will be held as evidence. Police referred to CW’s truck as a “work truck.” AB showed photo of “1139” in the back window of CW’s truck which certainly makes it look like a work truck, but AB has asked but still not received an answer whether it’s a work truck or if it belonged to C.W. and SW.
3. Guest Attorney Kirk Nurmi (Jodi Arias’s Attorney) talks about probate hearing. Nurmi thinks a lot of things were left unsaid. Attorneys were there to make sure CW didn’t say anything incriminating. CW is under a microscope right now. DA was there to evaluate CW. He’s still trying to decide whether or not to file Death Penalty.
4. Guest, Probate Attorney, Bonnie Bowles, was asked her opinion of 10 minute Probate hearing. 10 minute hearing was probably normal for what they discussed today. It was only to appoint SW’s father as SW’s personal representative, as well as determine SWs heirs. Heirs probably weren’t discussed at that time because the meeting was so short, but they will probably schedule another meeting to discuss SW’s heirs in the future. SW didn’t leave a will, CW is entitled to be sole heir, but if he is convicted of murder, by state law, he is not entitled to anything.
5. Quick claim deed on house is made out equally to SW and C.W. Joint tenants. if CW is convicted, he will not be entitled to house. If he’s not convicted, it belongs to C.W.
6. Kirk Nurmi talks about what it is like to defend somebody everyone hates. How you feel about them personally doesn’t matter. You’re there to defend them. You ignore the animosity for our client. Given the abhorrent behavior, 2 children murdered, Nurmi thinks he would try to plead out before it ever made it to a courtroom, if the DP was off the table, and justice was being served. He would work with the County Attorney to try to resolve things in that manner. AB disagreed with Nurmi because C.W. blamed SW for children’s deaths. With that, C.W. might be able to convince one juror that he’s innocent. Nurmi disagreed with AB. He thinks AB’s perspective is a bit wishful because when you go before a jury with the fact pattern in this case, the reasonable doubt you have is lesser, decreased. We’re talking about a father killing his own children. Once jurors hear that, he’s going to be looked at with skeptical eyes. We also have inconsistent stories, here. CW’s attorneys have to consider what could be lost if he goes to trial. Could it be his entire life? Could it be lethal injection? That’s the calculus that has to be done. The likelihood of his manslaughter story being proven is probably unlikely. AB agrees, except she’s covered cases where irrationality was applied when determining reasonable doubt, like Casey Anthony and OJ. All it takes is one juror.
7. Couldn’t C.W. instruct his attorneys to go for it? Yes. Ultimately the only thing an Attorney can do is show CW the evidence and advise. They can’t twist the clients arm. It is entirely up to C.W.. Nurmi is guessing his attorneys, with this evidence, are trying to advise him to plea.
8. Will the Defense try to have CW’s confession suppressed? Nurmi says, depends on what the ultimate defense is, but if he is arguing manslaughter, his attorney can say C.W. made this confession, it was clearly against his interests because it was true. Therefore, the jury must convict him of manslaughter, not First Degree Murder. The confession is actually more favorable than the other outcomes if he goes to trial.
9. What’s it like to defend a client in a high profile case where everybody hates your client? Nurmi got death threats while defending Jodi Arias. Many people mistakenly believe that Public Defenders are there because they believe in and support their clients, but it’s not true. Defendants have constitutional rights. Public Defenders are assigned these cases.
10. How long will this take? Nurmi says it’s hard to say. If Colorado decides to seek the Death Penalty the time will drag on. Defense Attorneys will have to investigate CW’s life from birth to day of sentencing. That puts things on a different timeframe. Minimum 2 years is not unheard of, maybe more.
11. AB says Prosecutors are probably going to play the porch interviews at the trial, and everybody is going to think C.W. is a liar. Once a liar always a liar. How can Defense get over that? That’s going to be something CW and his attorneys will have to figure out. What was C.W. thinking at the time? What’s the explanation? Was he trying to be consistent with being innocent? Defense is going to have to try to explain.
Viewer Questions
1. Could it be that CW had his girlfriend over that weekend and he freaked out about the girls telling their mom, so he killed them? Maybe he killed SW at the top of the stairs where her phone was found, before he saw that her phone was missing? Sounds logical. Police have to run through every possible theory. Key part is we have a confession, and in that confession CW talks about how he sees SW killing the 2 girls and going into a rage and killing SW. That theory doesn’t fit with that confession. This is all part of the investigation. They made the arrest fairly quickly after the crime was committed. They’ve had all this time to put a case together. Next court date is November 19. They know what C.W. was doing, who he talked to, his affairs, his electronic footprint. They’re putting it all together.
2. What if SW was recording on her phone and she ran through that area and hid her phone right before she was killed. Evidence for the police. That would be a dying declaration. Video evidence has been used before. If that was the case this would play heavily in the prosecution of C.W.
This is the first time I actually appreciate something Nurmi has to say! I'm guilty of disliking him for his arguments in the JA trial even though I know he was just doing his job. Its hard to stay neutral...

The accusation from CW that SW killed her babies is never going to fly. The admission that he killed SW and Nico will fly, but not for the reason he stated. He killed them all because he wanted them all gone from his life. Period. Whatever led him to being able to follow thru with murdering all of them, one by one is incredulous.
Has it ever been discussed if CW was doing drugs? Could he have been doing drugs while SW and the girls were in NC? Maybe some sort of stimulants?

True, but the neighbor said it stood out to her that she didn't hear the children. I would think it unusual for children that age to prefer to stay inside while their daddy's outside cooking on the grill. I think they were asleep or he had killed them already. I hope the autopsy will show approximate time of death. Jmo
And if TOD can be established, that should silence most of the controversy surrounding this case once and for all, hopefully.

Yes. I think that a hearing would now be necessary due to the CORA requests. But the court, I would think, still needs to hear the defense's position to the motion.

But that wasn't addressed.

As a party to the case their position is crucial.
My guess is that all parties will have the chance to be heard on the issue but maybe not - since it’s the *custodian’s* obligation to demonstrate the public injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member