Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
During all of his many interviews whenever the subject of SM’s phone came up, it seems like BM keeps insisting that he thinks LE found the phone and he’s thought that from the very beginning.

Does he really think that or is he fishing? As time goes on he seems to think that Grusing is his buddy and will be forthcoming with him.

This part really confused me ( see screenshots).

A, How did the FBI know that BM was texting SM’s phone but not know the content of the texts ?

B. Is BM doing this texting to make himself look good, like a concerned husband? Or because, like I said ., if he really thinks they have her phone then they will bring it up to him?
Maybe both?

Also noticed he only texted her phone until October.
He said he “ first laid eyes on someone at the dumpster in October.”

Just more crazy ramblings.

Maybe he was trying to find her phone? Thought he could trigger something to it would "ping" I wonder if he was trying "find my phone" or maybe he thought if LE had it, then they would read those texts and believe he was the loving caring husband?

In reporter LS video, she says BM & SM went to Safeway grocery store and Moonlight Pizza on Friday. I doubt Safeway would have pool chemicals but I suppose it's possible.

They drove in separate vehicles after the pizza pickup. From page 34/129:
View attachment 332482
So it looks like he was headed home before her in his vehicle. But, of course, that doesn't mean he stayed there.

Also, I don't think that LE believe he was staying at the house Wednesday or Friday night.
Page 117/129:
View attachment 332483
Why would he not be staying at their home, Wednesday and Friday night?

The question is, why would Barry assume LE had the phone from day 1?

Bike crashed and Suzanne is not with it. Phone is missing from the house and he knows she bikes with her phone.. wouldn't he assume SHE had he phone where ever she is? Why would that be tossed somewhere between her bike and the helmet?

Why would he not be staying at their home, Wednesday and Friday night?

My understanding is that BM would sometimes get angry and storm off for a day or more. Certainly SM's text messages to SO indicated this pattern of behavior. Also, I believe the week leading up to MDW was not warm fuzzy for BM/SM. SM sent the "I'm done" text during this time.

The question is, why would Barry assume LE had the phone from day 1?

Bike crashed and Suzanne is not with it. Phone is missing from the house and he knows she bikes with her phone.. wouldn't he assume SHE had he phone where ever she is? Why would that be tossed somewhere between her bike and the helmet?
I can make arguments either way, but I tend to believe he knew law enforcement did not have her phone, and he thought that it somehow made him look innocent if his assumption that they had it was wrong.

There's a great counter argument to this, which involves him texting that phone months later, assuming law enforcement would see it.

He may have believed they were monitoring his phone though, and thought it looked good.

Barry gives his convoluted logic away with the staging though, when he says the phone should be in between the bike and the helmet.

Why? The helmet shouldn't even be where it is in the first place. An abductor isn't going to take the time to remove the helmet from her head while he's making a getaway.

The helmet was dumped there because Barry is a dope, and wanted a trail leading in the opposite direction from where he went that morning (Broomfield).

He compounded the error by claiming he did travel past that location, while making up a lie about herding elk spotted in the dark.

My understanding is that BM would sometimes get angry and storm off for a day or more. Certainly SM's text messages to SO indicated this pattern of behavior. Also, I believe the week leading up to MDW was not warm fuzzy for BM/SM. SM sent the "I'm done" text during this time.
That was interesting to me that he would take off when they had conflict. Definitely the dynamics had to have changed since he didn’t take off unless pushing up the exit to Broomfield was part of that pattern. I sure don’t know.

Their high-pitched voices irritate the other jurors, they talk too fast, and they always tear up the "guilty vs innocent" vote tallies before they are fully counted and stuff the pieces into their cheeks until they are so overfilled they explode all over the table in the deliberation room.
:D

Because they had a big fight Wednesday? moo

Error505Well-Known Member
Posted by Lauren Scharf on her FB account as a follow up answer, the following statement from the housekeeper Lauren interviewed who says she saw the Morphews on Wed before MD.

The housekeeper didn’t want to go on camera as she had been cleaning the rental units in Morphews neighborhood.

Quoting:
Bridget Bulker (housekeeper)
"I went there (dumpster) it was late up in the evening and when I throw the thing over, she and her husband came to see who was throwing trash in there and I had like seven bags to throw in. They didn't know who I was. They asked why I was dumping? I said I manage properties up the road and they said oh okay! Now that we know who you are.

When I heard that she went missing, I said dang, I just talked to her a couple of days ago. People come and camp and they put things in the dumpster, so they were wondering if that was the case. That's all it is. They were going for a walk, on an evening walk."

When I asked if I could do an interview on camera she said NO I'm a mess... I've been cleaning. Can I report what you've said she replied yes.

"I think it was a Wednesday afternoon before she went missing. I had some guests that were here that had to leave because of corona. But then I came up here to take out all of the food that was inside, to take everything out. I was throwing things out because I didn't know so that's why I was there.

Those two is rental properties and their house and around here there are two people who live there. All of the people who live in this area are friendly. They'll talk to you because they all know each other. As I said, the dumpster they all pay for it. So it is a community. They all know each other."
End Quote.
There is no media link to post.

Wednesday evening was when Bridget Bulker ran into Suzanne and Barry at the dumpster - they were out for an evening stroll. I guess he could have left later, but they were at home together at least up until then.

What do you think happened Friday, May 8, to make BM become hyper vigilant on Saturday? I'd like to spend some time examining Friday's events.

If I remember correctly, it was revealed, maybe in AA or during PH, that
Suzanne had been looking for houses in the Salida area. One she mentioned having told Barry about, mentioned looking for houses to JL too.
Don't remember if this was Thursday or Friday.
I could see this upsetting BM if Suzanne was looking for a house to live in after a marital separation or divorce. Was she feeling secure in her request for civility?
A particular house and the street it's on was mentioned. I saw a house on that street for sale that week of May 2020. The asking price was approximately $800k and I've wondered if she was looking for something about 1/2 the value of Puma Path.
I don't think this would have gone over well...
JMO

Last edited:
I'd looked up the prosecutors on the case before but I'd never looked up what they looked like. I googled Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, and realized that I'd seen him on an episode of Dateline several years ago.

The case was the murder of Stephanie Bruner, by her husband Dale Bruner. I decided to watch it, and it has some striking similarities to this one.

Married couple, she has an affair, she tells him she's leaving him, he murders her.

No physical evidence, but his lies and implausible story went a long way.

The defense claimed, “the only thing that could convict his client is direct evidence,” District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said. “Unfortunately, the law disagrees with Mr. Bernhardt.”

The law, prosecutors said, makes no distinction between circumstantial and direct evidence.

He has an impressive resume, to include the James Holmes case (Aurora theater shooter), and the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case (that case collapsed when the accuser refused to testify).

Mark Hurlbert Leaves Legacy In High County, Will Now Prosecute James Holmes – CBS Denver

Dale Bruner: The evidence against

Last edited:
Around the 9:50 mark, LE is discussing the last time Barry saw Suzanne sleeping in bed. BM exhibits a classic clue of deception. He touches his nose...
Also, the 12:50 mark when BM plays charades to tell the LE Officer how the bike flipped, explaining why the front tire was facing "up" the incline. All JMO

Yeah but that is what I don't get

What is out that way?

It seems he went all the way to where there is a site for a house to be built in the future.

If he had cameras set up all the way out there, was he worried about what was on them? or what they might see?

I'm going to ask you again to look at the my case map screencap in the post the above reply was to. The yellow squiggly lines are ATV trails. There are three abandoned mines up that trail and they are marked on the Google Earth map.

Wednesday evening was when Bridget Bulker ran into Suzanne and Barry at the dumpster - they were out for an evening stroll. I guess he could have left later, but they were at home together at least up until then.
That was the "I'm done" day. Can't help but wonder if that was even Suzanne with Barry, I have my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member