Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they’ve read it, even if their Dad forbade them from doing so. How could they not want to know what’s in it? That’s just me though. Of course they did sit through the PH.
I'm not so sure about their having read the AA.
I find it hard to believe they don't know their father killed their mother.
Barry's one lame-assed attempt at a facebook video pleading for Suzanne to come home or be returned - what was it, eight days later? No public outreach urging them to find her with or without the help of Spezze. No coordination of searches with the help of the community or LE, just his word for it *cough* that he and his buds searched an outlandish claim of acreage. No attempt to help with Andy's search.
And yet, not one single word from Suzanne's daughters.
In short, I think it's safe to assume they knew she was dead from day one. Whether one or more are holding out hope that there's a possibility he's innocent as they've been so brainwashed or they forgive him, I dunno.
IMO

Ignorance is bliss, or so it's said. If someone's father were accused of killing their mother, one might be on top of every single filing, hearing, transcript, the AA and doing their own research. Another sibling, on the other hand, might be drowning in ignorance while chastising another sibling for not doing the same - just as one child can take a blind eye to domestic abuse in the home and another who's traumatically affected by it.
IMO

I've been thinking lately that these girls, having seen Barry angry with their mother and spouting who knows what kind of hatefulness, perhaps withhold their thoughts about his guilt out of fear that he might also "disappear" them.

If they're like some families we've seen on true crime shows, once he's found guilty by a jury their loyalty to mom and confidence that they're safe could free them to speak out against him.

Let us hope because I fear they'll have countless mental health issues otherwise.

Last edited:
CO. Domestic Violence Fatalities Review Board, 2021 Annual Report.*
List includes SM among the "39 victims who died ... due to domestic violence or occurring within the context of domestic violence..."

Is it appropriate for SM's death to be characterized this way?
In an official state board publication?
W CO.'s. Attorney General's name as Chair?
Of the CDVFRB board estab'ed by statute?**
Before a criminal conviction of BM?
W no civil suit verdict re her death by BM?

I'm not saying BM is a great guy, not arguing that BM did not cause SM's death.

Just wondering if it's appropriate for a state A.G. & a civil board to include her (presumed) death as due to DV or occurring within the context of DV. At least, at this stage, before conviction.

Why not? After all the state is saying to the world they believe BM murdered his wife.

So I finally read AA and wow.. he doesn’t seem like very intelligent man. Why would he talk so much? Shooting chipmunks and running around with a gun it’s just so bizarre! Why would he even place a weapon in his hands when talking to LE? His wife is missing and he just says he was running around with a gun? He incriminated himself so much by talking.

The only way IMO to find him not guilty is to believe that bike ride happened. Her phone activity is the strongest indication of her not taking bike ride for me. Not making any contact with outside world since chat with JL before Barry got home is telling.

He did hide body well and she might never be found but that shouldn’t mean that justice can’t be served, not every crime scene leaves a lot behind . His own words, alibi, phone and truck activities I hope are enough.

all my opinion! Greetings from Sweden :)

While I only skimmed the report, I did catch that it's compiled in consultation with the state prosecutors. Nonetheless, I understand what you're saying about premature induction prior to conviction. However, in all fairness, personally, I do not have a fraction of reasonable doubt that SM was the victim of DV and homicidal violence at the hands of her husband. MOO

In any event, the trial only determines BM's criminal liability for the same - not whether in fact SM was murdered in a domestic incident.

So as a determination for these statistical/analytical purposes, I have no problem with the inclusion, as the state clearly holds that belief based on a strong evidential foundation that won't change based on the result of the trial.

I don’t think that the girls think their father did this. I think he sat them down and swore on a stack of bibles that he had nothing to do with their mother’s disappearance. Probably told them that the lord was testing them, that although Mom and Dad had fights, he would never do anything to harm their mother. She had been tempted by the devil and they had to do their utmost to forgive her. He needs all of their support and he promised this was not him. What they were saying in court might look bad but he could never do such a thing. And they believe him.

List includes SM among the "39 victims who died ... due to domestic violence or occurring within the context of domestic violence..."

Just wondering if it's appropriate for a state A.G. & a civil board to include her (presumed) death as due to DV or occurring within the context of DV. At least, at this stage, before conviction.

Whether he is convicted or not, she was a victim of dm. I’m glad someone in the public has the courage to say so! This has been swept under the rug far too long.

I agree. I think he either saw or heard the name Jeff at one point, but evidently forgot about JL from SM’s class. This was driving him so crazy he was begging Grusing to tell him who it was.
I tend to think he wanted to identify the "real Jeff' in order point the finger at him for Suzanne's disappearance. She was already gone...the best revenge against Jeff would have been to frame him for Suzanne's disappearance.

I agree that it seems kinda odd when no trial or conviction has occurred yet.
On Page 3 this line stood out to me.
“ The data collected includes information on murders… “.
https://coag.gov/app/uploads/2022/01/CDVFRB-report-2020.pdf

I believe SM was added to the list because the words Domestic Violence are at the top of the charging document. JMO
https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...8/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf

Attachments

• 002D0D58-53B5-463D-B4CF-6373BE287EFC.jpeg
    002D0D58-53B5-463D-B4CF-6373BE287EFC.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
  • A432DDB5-5FAA-465A-9E9F-5458BBED514A.jpeg
    A432DDB5-5FAA-465A-9E9F-5458BBED514A.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 11

I believe SM was added to the list because the words Domestic Violence are at the top of the charging document. JMO
https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf
I agree it's odd. It would be interesting to know where they got that information since there is no legal proof yet that she is deceased or has been murdered or that there was domestic violence in the family. It was added after the original charges as a sentence enhancer. Just premature reporting for an important and poignant document. Unfortunately and sadly it adds to the arsenal of defense legal teams in terms of prematurity of this case.

I'm not so sure about their having read the AA.
I find it hard to believe they don't know their father killed their mother.
Barry's one lame-assed attempt at a facebook video pleading for Suzanne to come home or be returned - what was it, eight days later? No public outreach urging them to find her with or without the help of Spezze. No coordination of searches with the help of the community or LE, just his word for it *cough* that he and his buds searched an outlandish claim of acreage. No attempt to help with Andy's search.
And yet, not one single word from Suzanne's daughters.
In short, I think it's safe to assume they knew she was dead from day one. Whether one or more are holding out hope that there's a possibility he's innocent as they've been so brainwashed or they forgive him, I dunno.
IMO
I can’t assume they knew she was dead from day one. I don’t why they would think that. I do think that they have, at this point, decided to forgive him and support him even if they believe he is guilty. I don’t understand them doing that, but those bonds must run very deep.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf
I recall the Complaint was amended to add Domestic Violence: In Colorado, DV assault is not a separate criminal offense. It is a sentence enhancement to a crime between significant others.

Under Colorado law, domestic violence is defined as “an act or threatened act of violence upon a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.” Domestic violence can also involve threatened acts upon another person, property, or animal if it is used “method of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed against a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.”

An intimate relationship is “a relationship between spouses, former spouses, past or present unmarried couples, or persons who are both the parents of the same child regardless of whether the persons have been married or have lived together at any time.”

Domestic violence results in mandatory arrest in Colorado. Even if the people involved do not want to press charges, at least one person will be arrested. In situations where two people assaulted each other, they both may face an arrest and charges for domestic violence.

Assault in Colorado involves intentional, knowing, or reckless bodily injury to another person. Bodily injury does not need to be serious to qualify as an assault. Any physical pain, illness or impairment may be considered bodily injury. Spiking a person’s drink with a drug without their consent is also a form of assault.

"Domestic Violence Assault" Laws in Colorado - CRS 18-6-801

I agree it's odd. It would be interesting to know where they got that information since there is no legal proof yet that she is deceased or has been murdered or that there was domestic violence in the family. It was added after the original charges as a sentence enhancer. Just premature reporting for an important and poignant document. Unfortunately and sadly it adds to the arsenal of defense legal teams in terms of prematurity of this case.
It’s my speculation that the State intended for the DV sentence enhancer to be on the original complaint and it was an oversight.
Based on the timing
The original was filed on May 18,2021 at 2:37 pm
The amended was filed on May 18,2021 at 4:07 pm
It’s neither here nor there, just thought I would point it out since you stated that it was added after the original charges.
JMO

Colorado Judicial Branch

EBM to correct date

Attachments

• EB71A7F6-BF6B-4009-87A6-415E21D005F9.jpeg
    EB71A7F6-BF6B-4009-87A6-415E21D005F9.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 5D34B0F0-3152-4074-9149-9E2C1FEFCD4B.jpeg
    5D34B0F0-3152-4074-9149-9E2C1FEFCD4B.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I can’t assume they knew she was dead from day one. I don’t why they would think that. I do think that they have, at this point, decided to forgive him and support him even if they believe he is guilty. I don’t understand them doing that, but those bonds must run very deep.
Just to clarify, I said 'I think it's safe to assume...', meaning that I think there's a very good chance they knew she was dead if not immediately then quickly after she disappeared - the reason being they (if not just M1 who was already an adult) did not speak out publicly asking for help in finding their mother.
I don't follow every case like many of you do but in every high profile case that makes the news I've never seen a case where children of the missing person were completely quiet. M2 herself said how she feared they'd had a big fight. She knew her mother wouldn't go silent of her own volition, especially on Mother's Day and when she was to virtually attend her bff's daughter's wedding. She knew her mother didn't bike from the home but would put the bike in the back of her car to bike where she felt safe. They knew their Mother was going to leave their father.
If not immediately, something had to click very early on with the bike being staged, their father portraying a perfect marriage and I'm sure other things we could only guess at that only they were privy to.
I think both of them are intelligent young women.
Could their silence have been because their father has complete control over them and forbade them to speak up? Yes, and that's why I reserve that one possibility. Who knows what Barry was feeding them but I do think deep down they knew.
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member