Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #58 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that they got a cadaverine hit somewhere in the house or on the property, and/or some forensic evidence of blood/tissue which indicates non survivable injuries.

Since there is no body at the possible crime scene, logic dictates that the body has been moved and concealed, hence the tampering charge.

I truly hope it's only moving and concealment Suzanne's case. The alternatives are too horrific to contemplate.

I wonder who advised him to hire the best. Maybe his daughters? I read a post that said he was into crime shows,etc. I’m sure he knew all about these two attorneys.
It can't hurt to have 2 beautiful young women in the audience, with 2 more-mature beautiful women flanking him at the table. The impression is not fair, but it does count in America. more than a couple of beefed up macho men at his side. And probably most other countries. Especially if BM can keep himself on the verge of tears throughout.

Yes, it was in April when he met the FBI agents. I’m confused over the March 4 date. The ballot was picked up by LE in March, but I can’t find the exact date.
March 3, 2021 was the closing date of the Puma Path sale. So, possession of the home likely passed the following day, March 4. Also possible that funds from closing were wired into his account on March 4 if the closing occurred too late in the day to wire funds on March 3?

Would that have any significance to the inclusion of that date in the two charges (tampering with physical evidence and possession of dangerous weapon)?

March 3, 2021 was the closing date of the Puma Path sale. So, possession of the home likely passed the following day, March 4. Also possible that funds from closing were wired into his account on March 4 if the closing occurred too late in the day to wire funds on March 3? Would that have any significance to the inclusion of that date in the two charges (tampering with physical evidence and possession of dangerous weapon)?

Is it possible that the police had to wait until March 4th to forensically examine the house? The new owners giving them permission to do so. BM maybe not giving them permission to do so. And them not being able to get a search warrant previously as they could not provide enough probable cause to satisfy a warrant.

(Saying this with no knowledge of examination of the house ... it may have been done but I have missed it.)

That March 4th date does appear to be tied into the change of ownership of the house, somehow.

So instead of confessing and telling LE where she is, he hires top-notch, young, beautiful female attorneys. :confused:

This is some kind of BM midlife crisis short-rifle-totin' fantasy reality show.
Or something equally creepy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is it possible that the police had to wait until March 4th to forensically examine the house? The new owners giving them permission to do so. BM maybe not giving them permission to do so. And them not being able to get a search warrant previously as they could not provide enough probable cause to satisfy warrant.

(Saying this with no knowledge of examination of the house ... it may have been done but I have missed it.)

That March 4th date does appear to be tied into the change of ownership of the house, somehow.

Or the new owners found something and reported it.

JMO, MOO
I tend to agree they may have found part of her remains. Your statement makes perfect sense. How could they have proof otherwise. It’s going to take a while for me to digest this new information. Wondering where @OldCop is?
MOO

After BM's arrest, they searched his condo and probably his truck and trailer. I think today's charges are related to those searches.

The gun may have SM's blood/DNA/body matter on it.

I think the mutilation charge comes from SM's DNA found on his Hunting Knives.

JMO, MOO

Is it possible that the police had to wait until March 4th to forensically examine the house? The new owners giving them permission to do so. BM maybe not giving them permission to do so. And them not being able to get a search warrant previously as they could not provide enough probable cause to satisfy warrant.

I agree. Those two charges (tampering with physical evidence and possession of dangerous weapon) specify, "Between and including May 9, 2020 and March 4, 2021...," so seems to cover the full period from earliest potential date of murder to move-out.

Seems to indicate the dangerous weapon IS relevant to the murder. I'm thinking it was found in the search of his condo post-arrest and the finding of it clarified some earlier findings about physical evidence found at the scene at Puma Path... blood spray pattern or something like that.

local LE I can see, but feds? Do we think he would even try with them? I don’t know, I feel as though he thinks he’s smarter than probably everyone, but bribing local LE seems much more probably than feds to me. Jmo, of course though, because then again I’m not sure he even has any boundaries he will not cross..
The list of names includes FBI and CBI... he tried with local LE and them.

It can't hurt to have 2 beautiful young women in the audience, with 2 more-mature beautiful women flanking him at the table. The impression is not fair, but it does count in America. more than a couple of beefed up macho men at his side. And probably most other countries. Especially if BM can keep himself on the verge of tears throughout.
It absolutely counts. It might be subtle, but I think we all have biases and predispositions. Look at the female reporters on television. Most are quite attractive-why? Because they are more capable than their counterparts that are not as aesthetically pleasing? A simple gesture like a female defense attorney resting her hand on Barry’s back while a tear rolls down his cheek can make a juror feel some kind of way. I have no idea what makes us react the way we do, but we might choose for or against based on innate factors that we don’t quite understand.

JMO, MOO

After BM's arrest, they searched his condo and probably his truck and trailer. I think today's charges are related to those searches.

JMO, MOO
They arrested BM May 5 and sealed his condo which they later searched.

So, if they found the knives during that search and collected swabs from them, is it feasible that they could they have fast-tracked processing of those swabs to determine presence of DNA by May 17 or 18 to determine it is SM's? 12-13 days?

JMO, MOO

JMO, MOO
[BBM]. You may be correct. However, the way it reads is any *one* (or more) may be true. For example he may have concealed OR removed her body (both, in my opinion). It doesn’t mean he did all of those things. Could he have done something even gruesome, such as dismemberment? Yes. But only one of the items on the list has to be true. JMO

COUNT 2-TAMPERING WITH A DECEASED HUMAN BODY (F3)
Between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020, Barry Lee Morphew, believing that an official proceeding was pending, in progress, or about to be instituted, and acting without legal right or authority, unlawfully and feloniously willfully destroyed, mutilated, concealed, removed, or altered a human body, part of a human body, or human remains with intent to impair its or their appearance or availability in the official proceedings; in violation of section 18-8-610.5, C.R.S.

Is it possible that the police had to wait until March 4th to forensically examine the house? The new owners giving them permission to do so. BM maybe not giving them permission to do so. And them not being able to get a search warrant previously as they could not provide enough probable cause to satisfy a warrant.

The home was searched twice with warrants. If I recall correctly, the first time they held it for approximately 2 weeks. Here is a May 26 2020 article that says LE had released it back to the family:

Chaffee County sheriff release's Suzanne Morphew's home to the family

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office released Suzanne Morphew’s residence back to the family after seizing it with a search warrant to investigate her May 10 disappearance.

LE returned with another warrant to search in July 2020 :

Suzanne Morphew still missing - Chaffee County Sheriff
On July 9, 2020, local, state, and federal investigators returned to search the Morphew property west of Salida to once again search the area for any additional information related to Ms. Morphew’s disappearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member