Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Body found in river in Sumner County

Is this allowed? If not I apologize!!!

Posted: Sun 4:43 PM, Jun 07, 2020 |
Updated: Sun 6:28 PM, Jun 07, 2020

See part about box:

“Sumner County Sheriff Darren Chambers said that they will not speculate on the cause of death and thinks the body has possibly been in the river for a few days.

Chambers couldn’t determine the sex of the body due to its condition. The body will be taken to the coroner’s office in Wichita.

Chambers said a box was involved but wouldn't say what kind.”

Last edited:
BBM:

I firmly believe SM came to harm before Mother's Day.

If she was killed on either Friday or Saturday, the issue of people trying to reach SM via phone that weekend would have presented the perp with a real conundrum. What to do?

Ignore the call and/or texts, and possibly set off alarm bells before you were safely away from the scene?
Respond via text as SM, and hope that you sounded like SM?
Respond as yourself, and indicate that SM was off doing something, but that you'd give her the message they called?

I'm reminded of the Kelsey Berreth case, and her moronic killer's attempts to pass himself off as her in text messages he sent to her employer and her mother.

Her mother definitely thought there was something off with the messages, as they didn't read the way Kelsey normally corresponded…which makes sense, because Kelsey was bright, and literate, whereas her killer is neither.

I'm thinking any attempts made by the perp here to reply via text as if they were SM would similarly read "false."

I also think that if someone provided callers with excuses for why SM wasn't around to talk, those explanations would now ring pretty hollow in retrospect, given the circumstances.

One of the things I'm curious about is whether or not her phone was "left at the house" (cough, cough) when she "went on her bike ride" (wheeze, snort), whether it was one of the items LE found, or whether her phone is currently missing.

JMO.

I'm curious about the phone as well. IMO he could be in a bit of a pickle either way - leaving phone behind might be a big red flag if her normal routine is to take it with her.... take phone and dispose of it may potentially show time phone pinged from another location. I think the phone pings for both of their phones will form a large part of the evidence if we get to that stage.

Notarization & Thumbprints?
I'm in CA and yes everything can be signed. However, documents need to be notarized. And notarization requires a fingerprint.
@kkdj :) I have not bought or sold real est for several yrs so found ^ thumbprint requirement interesting. Cal. statute requires thumbprints on these documents: "deed, quitclaim deed, deed of trust, or other document affecting real property, or a power of attorney document."
In scanning IN. Notary Public statutes (http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2019/ic/titles/033#33-42) I did not see a thumbprint requirement for any doc's, could have missed it. Looks like IN amended a few sections in 2017 but imo some IN. property transactions (if any) SM & BM (may have) signed in 2018 or 2019 may have required notarization but did not require not thumbprints. ^imo^

“Sumner County Sheriff Darren Chambers said that they will not speculate on the cause of death and thinks the body has possibly been in the river for a few days.

Chambers couldn’t determine the sex of the body due to its condition. The body will be taken to the coroner’s office in Wichita.

Chambers said a box was involved but wouldn't say what kind.

RBBM

What??? And what does that mean?

I could speculate; I will not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The car was in BM's driveway????
Then why did Bach say "that lady". You are right, it is a small town and trades people would be keenly aware of each other wouldn't they? A new competitor in town would be noted by other landscapers and other tradesman would take note too. Back scratching is pretty expected isn't it as well as long term relationships? Lots of things to think about here Branmuffin.
I am thinking at least a week if not two for the vacation.
It sure would be nice to know when SM was last seen. Are we allowed to use her name? I thought it had to be initials. I don't get how Bach didn't know SM. She was a biker, her husband was in the trades and it's a small town. ????

Maysville population about 100, Salida about 6,000 rounded

I don't know if the car was in the Morphew driveway but it was very near the entrance, at least that was the impression I got. Because I can't see any other reason why a vehicle would be considered wrong to be on the road.

Somewhere upthread someone sorry I’m not sure who said 8 of 9 hours away by river???
Yeah I have 8-9 hours by car (I’m actually going to be driving through Colorado in the way back from the Grand Canyon (I live in Chicago) and those states are just massive. Idk I am hoping there is a break in the case but if you look at rivers going from that spot to Salida CO it doesn’t look like an easy path. We will see.

I located the spot at the river, see upthread. It may not be exact for LE reasons, but prolly close. From the news video, a box was found with the body, that may or may not be related.

More articles:
https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article243366961.html
(Updated with Chambers interview) Body is found at the Ninnescah River this afternoon | Sumner NewsCow
Plus many via Google.

“Chambers did not identify the victim nor the sex of the body. He also would not speculate what was the cause of death was. A box, which might have been a gun safe box, was identified at the scene. Chambers said it is too early to speculate what role that box might have played with the body.”

1. It was never stated the car was in the M driveway.

2. He said “that lady” because someone asked him somewhat casually if he had heard of the “missing lady”

Why was no description of the car given? What made the car stand out as suspicious?

A body found in the river? I hope she is alive but IMO too much time has passed and the chances are very slim. The best case scenario would be IF it is her, the cause of death could be determined and justice served.

I leave for a few hours and come back to that news??
:
"Missing lady.." didn't catch that, thank you. An acceptable response then I suppose. Also I never heard the "suspicious" car was in M driveway either, didn't think it was. Good to get that cleared up. Yes, in time justice for someone. And safety for the next prevented incident after justice is served. But you know what, a few years incarceration just doesn't cut it. Too often, they get back out. Too soon.:(

See part about box

Get a load of this, too (snipped from the article to be concise):
"The sheriff held a press conference at 4 p.m. today. Drones were used to produce videography of the river to record the terrain to determine whether or not the body may have floated to the location or if it was moved there."
From: (Updated with Chambers interview) Body is found at the Ninnescah River this afternoon | Sumner NewsCow

I located the spot at the river, see upthread. It may not be exact for LE reasons, but prolly close. From the news video, a box was found with the body, that may or may not be related.

More articles:
(Updated with Chambers interview) Body is found at the Ninnescah River this afternoon | Sumner NewsCow
Plus many via Google.

The box is supposed to be a gun case box. How big would that be?

More articles:
Plus many via Google.
Sheriff confirms body has been found... Body being sent to Forensic Center in Wichita... Box, perhaps gun safe box, was nearby...

Twitter

Get a load of this, too (snipped from the article to be concise):
"The sheriff held a press conference at 4 p.m. today. Drones were used to produce videography of the river to record the terrain to determine whether or not the body may have floated to the location or if it was moved there."
From: (Updated with Chambers interview) Body is found at the Ninnescah River this afternoon | Sumner NewsCow

“He said the body was discovered by two floaters or fishermen. He said technically people are not supposed to float down the Ninnescah because it is privately owned but believes that is how the body was found.”

Again, this is a UID in Kansas. It must be stated there is nothing to indicate a relation to Suzanne at this time.

1. It was never stated the car was in the M driveway.

2. He said “that lady” because someone asked him somewhat casually if he had heard of the “missing lady”

Why was no description of the car given? What made the car stand out as suspicious?

A body found in the river? I hope she is alive but IMO too much time has passed and the chances are very slim. The best case scenario would be IF it is her, the cause of death could be determined and justice served.

I leave for a few hours and come back to that news??

Thank you for the clarification. I was under the mistaken impression the vehicle was parked very close to where 'that lady' lived. It is a strange turn of phrase to use, if in fact he knew who SM was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13