Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did LE go into the house before BM returned at 9 p.m.?

Allegedly:
1. Daughters had been trying to reach Suzanne (not sure how long) and had no response.
2. They called BM who was allegedly in Denver.
3. They (not sure this has been established, does they include BM or not) called the neighbor.
4. J neighbor went over and saw SM’s car and noticed the bike missing.
5. Neighbor called BM and he said he too was worried. Encouraged THEM to call the police. (This is the strangest part to me, why wouldn’t he have called?)
6. Neighbor called 911 and reported SM missing.

The Arkansas River flows through Kansas and meets the Mississippi River at St Helena, Arkansas, I believe. The S. Arkansas River starts on Monarch Pass roughly 13 miles above SM's housre, and flows a total of 24 1/2 miles to join the Arkansas River in southeast Salida near where the concrete dig was. Exactly 31/100ths of a mile below the County Road 225 bridge over the S. Arkansas that the man from Arizona thought could carry away a body, the S. Arkansas passes through a a steel culvert that carries it under the access road to the RV Park. Anything of size or bulk that was placed in the river above the culvert would probably stop right there, in plain sight of the daily traffic in and out of the RV park. IMO
South Arkansas River - Wikipedia
I was wondering where you were, thank you for your opinion!

This article has the unidentified body found in a box.
Body recovered from the Ninnescah River in Sumner County
I didn't hear the Sumner sheriff say this.

This has more of the on-site press conference:
(Updated with Chambers interview) Body is found at the Ninnescah River this afternoon | Sumner NewsCow
What if Suzanne was placed in that box or safe under the dirt/dig site but was moved before cement was poured and then thrown in the river? Would a gun safe float that far? Aren’t they heavy? Or maybe BM didn’t drive to Denver but in the opposite direction first? Possibly on Friday or Saturday? All Speculation Obviously!!! My mind is going crazy right now. If it’s her it’s absolutely devastating for her daughters and that breaks my heart.

Gun Case, Gun Box?
IMOO I’m thinking long gun size, some of the smaller, non fire proof ones are only about 74 pounds empty...Something like this is what I’m envisioning. Bonnlo Electronic Gun Safe Large Firearm Rifle Storage Cabinet Quick Access 5 Gun Rifle Safe Cabinet....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7DKW4X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lrW3EbVHS6CJS
34x24x120 inches. A small person could fit in there...
@Tbone144 :) sbm Good find. Could be like what you've described and linked, a metal case. I thought about a wooden case for long guns, a piece of furniture, like below. More likely to float? (no weight shown)
s7_646527_imageset_03

OnSite Search : Cabela's

So I don’t think an object could have floated against the current from the Arkansas River and into the Ninnescah river. From Wikipedia:

“The Ninnescah River originates in the Wellington Lowlands of south-central Kansas. It is formed in southwestern Sedgwick Countyby the confluence of the North Fork Ninnescah River and the South Fork Ninnescah River. From there, it flows southeast into the Arkansas River Lowlands. It empties into the Arkansas River roughly 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Oxford, Kansas in eastern Sumner County.[4]“.

The Ninnescah flows Southeast into the Arkansas. In other words, for an object to flow down the Arkansas from Salida, it would have to reverse course in summer County and go against the flow of the Ninnescah where it empties into the Arkansas and then travel many miles northwest against that current to be found where it was.
This would be an assumption that SM was killed and put in the river in Salida. We don’t even know if she went on a bike ride. :(

I wish Mr. Bach would have revealed more regarding his reasoning. Was it a shiny black stretch limo, a clown car? I mean it's so subjective we could speculate what he meant all night.

Surely, LE interviewed him to clarify his meaning. Would there be any transport vehicles for moving prisoners from one jail to another along that road? There seems to be an awful lot of prisons in the general vicinity.

“Chambers did not identify the victim nor the sex of the body. He also would not speculate what was the cause of death was. A box, which might have been a gun safe box, was identified at the scene. Chambers said it is too early to speculate what role that box might have played with the body.”
Exactly what is a gun safe box? I know what a gun safe is, we have one. Do they mean a box the gun safe ships in? Like a wood crate?

How would you feel about a potential juror who doesn't watch CSI (or NCIS or any of the fictional crime shows) but does watch Dateline, 48 Hrs, 20/20?

Interesting thought. I have never asked! But I think I’d feel viewers of the latter would be more inclined to understand and accept the reality of criminal investigations vs those who want a case to wrap up in 42 mins (plus commercials).

I wish Mr. Bach would have revealed more regarding his reasoning. Was it a shiny black stretch limo, a clown car? I mean it's so subjective we could speculate what he meant all night.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar ~ not a limo or a clown car, or even a Cadillac.
Why couldn't the car just be parked awkwardly or just where it's not where someone would have easy access to a home or some kind of destination?
I think it's plausible that the person saw something amiss. We don't know why.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with USA - is that location on the way to Indiana?
Good question.

To look at a map of the USA, the Mississippi River is seen as a dividing point between the Eastern and Western US. Indiana is east of the Mississippi river. Colorado is west of the river. There are no rivers that cross the Mississippi. They just feed into it.

Further west, the Rocky Mountains that run through Colorado are another important point in geography. At the top of the mountains runs the Continental Divide. The importance of the Continental Divide is to which direction their rivers and runoff water head towards. Anything east of the Divide, run east towards the Mississippi River. Anything west of the Divide runs west towards the Pacific Ocean.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. I was under the mistaken impression the vehicle was parked very close to where 'that lady' lived. It is a strange turn of phrase to use, if in fact he knew who SM was.
Bach never said the car was near the driveway. He said at the beginning of the video he had not heard Suzanne was missing. Someone later told him, he put two & two together regarding the vehicle he saw on CR225 that day, and called it in to the CCSO. That was it in a nutshell. No other details or location were provided by Mr. Bach.

Last edited:
This would be an assumption that SM was killed and put in the river in Salida. We don’t even know if she went on a bike ride. :(
Agreed, but one of my working theories is that he staged the bike accident, she somehow "made it into the river" or whatever he said, and that she will turn up in the river as he has staged the accident to reveal this.... jmo

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar ~ not a limo or a clown car, or even a Cadillac.
Why couldn't the car just be parked awkwardly or just where it's not where someone would have easy access to a home or some kind of destination? I seriously don't get it.
Because pretty much any car at all parked anywhere in any way up and down a street near a trailhead is not suspicious. Backed in, sticking out, wrong side of road...I hike in CO a lot and people park like that all the time near trailheads. So what made this one suspicious? I suspect it only became “suspicious” when this guy learned about this case, but of course I hope LE checked it out.

Interesting thought. I have never asked! But I think I’d feel viewers of the latter would be more inclined to understand and accept the reality of criminal investigations vs those who want a case to wrap up in 42 mins (plus commercials).
Better yet, how about a WSer. You better add that to voir dire question list ;)

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I find myself thinking of elements of this story as if they're possibilities --- but considering the possible source....
  • Bike ride ?
  • Phone found or not ?
  • Neighbor did a welfare check and called 911 ?
  • Daughters couldn't get a hold of their mom and called the neighbor ?
  • Were the daughters actually coming home that day for dinner as BM said in the TD interview ? (Yes, there's a reason I'm wondering if that was true or not, and why BM stated it.)
  • Mountain lion ?
  • Fell into the river ?
  • Bike trails that run all the way from Salida to Denver ?

That last one is strange, as even if the trails go that far -- why'd BM even bring it up ?
LE never said she went missing while biking, and never said to search on the bike trails.

It's crazy b/c even if someone is a fence sitter (I have been in other cases), BM's and LE's actions are so far removed form each other that it's like they're in separate universes.
Each side has seemingly different objectives.

One has a generous reward as if Suzanne is safe and just being held captive and as if there could be a safe return; and the other has broken through concrete and sifted soil, respectively.
MOO
So if BM said the daughters were coming home for dinner maybe that would make one feel guilty knowing dinner isn't there waiting and set the stage for a 911 call..........moo

Why couldn't the car just be parked awkwardly or just where it's not where someone would have easy access to a home or some kind of destination?
I think it's plausible that the person saw something amiss. We don't know why.

I believe that the witness FB is a serious fat tire mountain biker whose residence is not far away from that short stretch of CR 225 where he saw the car. He was undoubtedly either heading up the Colorado trail, or coming back down past Fooses Lake. It is a very popular "short ride". He would be used to seeing vehicles CR 225 on Sunday morning and one which didn't belong there would probably stand out to him. My guess is that LE told him not to disclose details to the public. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia