Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thought. I have never asked! But I think I’d feel viewers of the latter would be more inclined to understand and accept the reality of criminal investigations vs those who want a case to wrap up in 42 mins (plus commercials).
I've never been called for jury duty and I so have wanted to be. For 19 yrs in CA, nada. And for 18 yrs in my current state, nada. I drive, I vote, I'm registered. But never gotten a summons. I'm that person I described; I don't watch fictional crime shows. I will watch parts of trials, prosecution openings/closings are often the best part, IMO.

Oh wow good job getting this! “A box is over there”??? I hope they are taking the box! Again he said a few days. Suzanne has been missing approximately a month. Wouldn’t an experienced LE be able to tell days vs months decomposition? That’s the only thing making me think SM could be ruled out? What do you think?

There is no way this body can be Suzanne unless she was placed in the Ninnescah River. As has been mentioned, the Ninnescah flows INTO the Arkansas, not the other way around. Something floating DOWN the South Arkansas from the Maysville/Salida area could enter the Arkansas River and keep going downstream, but when it reaches the Ninnescah River it's not going to turn and go UP that River.

So unless she was placed in the Ninnescah River somewhere upstream of where the body was found, it's not her.

JMO

A modest size metal gun case weighs about 90 pounds.

So I assume it's not a metal case, but a wooden one.

Maybe something more like a wooden crate, like one of these old WW II gun boxes

US_wooden_crateWWII01.jpgC4C58055-7694-4F3B-9D4B-55510B1D0743Original.jpg
I agree with this. Normally the word “box” when used regarding a gun safe means it’s made of wood. At least here in Texas! Or I guess maybe very heavy cardboard for shipping arms. I’ve seen rifle boxes that look kind of like cedar chests with a padlock. When I hear the word gun safe, it usually means a big heavy upright metal safe.

And as mentioned, the South Arkansas by the Morphew's home is just a creek. Farther down when it joins the main branch of the Arkansas River, there is a railroad bridge with an underlying grate that would prevent it from flowing farther south.

Of course, one could drive for several hours and put a body into the Arkansas River in many secluded areas.

But I agree with the geographical problem that the area where the body was found appears to be on a smaller river that joins the Arkansas, not downstream after the rivers have joined.

If it isn't Suzanne, I hope the identification can help solve a different crime and bring closure to a different family.

A modest size metal gun case weighs about 90 pounds.

So I assume it's not a metal case, but a wooden one.

Maybe something more like a wooden crate, like one of these old WW II gun boxes

US_wooden_crateWWII01.jpgC4C58055-7694-4F3B-9D4B-55510B1D0743Original.jpg
What they do say ( sorry graphic) is that gases, bacteria & sulfides can take weeks to bloat ...then torso can get extremely large and rotate.
Possibly burst out of that box?

MOO

Yeah, I’m actually surprised there hasn’t been another incident like this (unidentified body that is speculated to be her). We’ll likely have several more of these as time goes on.

As much as I want it to be her, I am incredibly pessimistic. I think she’s buried in a remote location. He likely had a lot of time to work with.
Sadly, I do as well.

If she is indeed deceased, for the sake of her daughters and family, I do hope her body/remains are found.

I can't think of anything worse than the angst of wondering what happened to a loved one. What were their final moments were like... It would be hard to make peace.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed due to no link to image.>

There is nothing there that conflicts with what I said.

The South Arkansas flows into the Arkansas near Salida.

Hundreds of miles downstream, in Kansas, the Ninnescah River also flows into the Arkansas River.

In between the two, lots of other drainages also flow into the Arkansas.

The Arkansas continues to flow generally east, with untold numbers of drainages flowing into it, until it eventually reaches the Mississippi.

I repeat, a body is not going to flow upstream.

The only way this is her is if she was driven and placed there.

She didn't float there.

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way this body can be Suzanne unless she was placed in the Ninnescah River. As has been mentioned, the Ninnescah flows INTO the Arkansas, not the other way around. Something floating DOWN the South Arkansas from the Maysville/Salida area could enter the Arkansas River and keep going downstream, but when it reaches the Ninnescah River it's not going to turn and go UP that River.

So unless she was placed in the Ninnescah River somewhere upstream of where the body was found, it's not her.

JMO

BBM
Yeah like Letecia Stauch kind of placing....

The personal item that LE linked to Suzanne. From what I’ve read in articles this item was found on the 14th or 15th of May. (The earliest news articles I saw are dated 15 May.) Family members confirmed it was not the bike which was found on Sunday.

Dozens Search For Suzanne Morphew After Discovery Of 'Personal Item'

Given the DNA testing backlog in many forensic labs, I doubt LE verified it was Suzanne’s so quickly using DNA. (Fingerprints, maybe?) So I’m trying to think what could have been found and linked back to Suzanne so quickly. This appears to be an item that was readily identified as hers just by looking at it. Helmet? Cell phone? I’d consider jewelry, but many riders I know don’t wear any jewelry when riding. That includes a wedding ring for many. And if there is a diamond set in the ring they almost always leave it at home or in the car. Maybe a Medic Alert bracelet. When I ride I carry a house key or a car key, but I also carry my driver’s license and my health insurance card. Could the item be their ID or insurance card? There is a company that makes an ID bracelet with the rider’s name and address and personal data, RoadID. In the one photo with her helmet she appears to be wearing Camelbak hydration pack and that might be it. I don’t think a cycling glove, a shoe, tool kit bag or sunglasses would be linked to her that quickly. Maybe a wrist fitness unit like a Polar or a GPS cycling unit like a Garmin or Wahoo. If LE found a GPS unit, though, and it was activated then LE would have the route, assuming Suzanne was the one using it. I doubt a water bottle would be it, especially if she was using her Camelbak. Of course, LE found a water bottle with name and logo of a bike shop in Indiana that could be it. I have not read anywhere in the media that a family member saw or identified the item.

Sadly, I do as well.

If she is indeed deceased, for the sake of her daughters and family, I do hope her body/remains are found.

I can't think of anything worse than the angst of wondering what happened to a loved one. What were their final moments were like... It would be hard to make peace.
This probably isn’t the type of case where hunters are going to stumble on her remains months or years from now. He probably had a great deal of time, and definitely had the knowledge and resources to conceal Suzanne well.

Unless his movements were able to be tracked, or unless someone talks, I think this will end up like the Dulos case.

I’m sick to my stomach now. This WS is a new hobby for me because I have always been interested in true crime. But this is my first case on WS and it IS true crime and real life and it just hit me that someone actually threw a body in the river like garbage. I hope we find out tomorrow who it is but more likely the missing girl from Kansas. I don’t know anything about her case but I’m praying for her family too. Night everyone. Sleep tight don’t let the bed bugs bite and I hope we don’t have bad dreams. Try and think happy thoughts....if possible!

Wondering how easy would it be to dispose of a body at night if you used an ATV and a shovel? Would drive far up and away the mountain, dig a wide and very deep hole... Drive back while still dark... Go to Denver to set up my next day work crew. Seems doable.

No need for digging. IMO the myriad abandoned mines and wells provide ample depth. I hope i am wrong, but that’s my speculation. However, I also believe the perp will make some mistakes in the short term and will be charged.

Wondering how easy would it be to dispose of a body at night if you used an ATV and a shovel? Would drive far up and away the mountain, dig a wide and very deep hole... Drive back while still dark... Go to Denver to set up my next day work crew. Seems doable.

A "very deep, wide hole" isn't something one juat "digs" on a mountain in that area. It would require many hours with a pickaxe in some areas, and dynamite in others.

Whew 20 pages, so many good points can't quote them all. You all are some sleuthers and enjoy your opinions. Reading all that, I'm holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop. I can imagine all involved in SM case are feeling that (hopefully sleepless nights cuz LE's gonna get you!). Boogeyman, Cowardly Lionnapper make dealing with a heavy issue tolerable-thank you guys!

I'd def be pulling your utilities, cell, records, search radius of your home/jobsites/route of travel, employees, F&F, shop owners, paper boy, all cars on video and trace them, for a good period of time prior, during, after and so much more :D I can just imagine the tedious job of putting that together

WHILE balancing Legal Rights. I love LE, but believe they do have to stay in the rules and not be shady either. Fair fight come out swinging bring out your best let's go.

Disappeared/missing those words are used, (no cat/mess@scene just item found and not a bike?) Used manpower, divers, dogs, digging and sifting, truth in rumors, recreating everything that happened and did not. Why are you putting me in this direction? Silence of all LE & SM fam, except BM, nephew, supporters, mom (, uncle during interview).

Carrying on as "anyone should" yet anyone wouldn't be doing a lot of "those"things. I'd be saying sorry bro deal off deal w/u n your possible lawsuit later I got bigger things like my spouse to deal with not selling my property, let alone possibly to fam friend? Even "smart business" can be a loss.

I think of everything at disposal money, skills, equipment, "friends". I wouldn't leave a trace/body to be found. No mess in house, outside on the property. I'd be using my "friends" to go over sites and see if there was anything that could possibly be used elsewhere and FAIL lol. I think the little details esp electronic records are going to play big, along with other real evidence, even if small (will show huge intent imo.

SM & BM are both smart in different ways, you don't get to there without some smarts. It's going to be interesting watching this. Esp CEO's running for cover. I'm w/SM being found alive hidden but my brain says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member