Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was an(other) glaring error by the DM.

They saw the date of that post, but completely ignored/overlooked the year.

The date of that picture being posted was 05/09/19.

Not 05/09/20.

I am now openly speculating that their own inaccurate report is where they came up with the idea that the last time SM was heard from was on May 9th.

It looks to me like the DM conveniently acted as their own source for that claim.

I'm now completely discounting their report re: the 9th being the date she was last "heard from."

JMO.

This was an(other) glaring error by the DM.

They saw the date of that post, but completely ignored/overlooked the year.

The date of that picture being posted was 05/09/19.

Not 05/09/20.

I am now openly speculating that their own inaccurate report is where they came up with the idea that the last time SM was heard from was on May 9th.

It looks to me like the DM conveniently acted as their own source for that claim.

I'm now completely discounting their report re: the 9th being the date she was last "heard from."

JMO.
Coincidence, that it is the same day, one year earlier?

My only caveat to that thinking is- this man is a landscaper, unless his work is like an HGTv "flip my garden/yard" kind of thing idk why a builder or homeowner would bring him in, unless he has some skills in the landscaping industry that make him a coveted landscape artist. My knowledge of the work a landscape team performs is limited to leafy bushes lol
Snipped to be concise.
I'm thinking BM might be a "hardscape" kind of person. This would be more of a niche where there would be fewer contractors for customers to choose from. It might also have been fairly easy to come in with a low bid, get entry-door business for your start up, have a scheme to be in Denver on a regular basis, or a certain day.... In that case, I can see Denver being a possibility.
What gives me pause is that BM seemed to have been doing some very basic dirt moving at the construction site where LE was investigating. That job doesn't seem to fit at all into a picture of someone who can presumably command $$$ for landscaping.

thanks @Harmony 2 - the photo and post was actually dated May 9, 2019 - daily mail was wrong as far as I can tell
Suzanne Morphew
ETA - fixed double post

Ok so discounted.. thanks
What about this statement? Has it been discounted too? I notice that the article has a correction but the statement remained.
The 49-year-old Maysville woman was last seen going for a bike ride.

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman

edited to add: I know about the following:
But her daughter’s friend’s mother claims “nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly,” according to Crime Online.

“The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ‘We never heard from mom — can you go check on her?'” the friend’s stepmother said.

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

note: crime on line quotes daily mail and the sun quotes crimeonline.

Mystery around Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance grows as friend says 'nobody saw her on bike'

Coincidence, that it is the same day, one year earlier?
Whell yeah, they were specifically looking for the MD, didn’t pay attention to the year, they may have actually discarded px from May 15, 2019. My father in law was line type setter for Baltimore Sun, as the process became more automated, it seemed the typos increased. He would get so agitated. It has gotten progressively worse. Headlines w glaring errors! This is a valid criticism JMO, and this particular error puts shadow back on a lot of or timeline speculation.

While we wait for MSM verified reports
- is our timeline good?’ort

5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride

Oviedo, per the CCSO fb page press releases, the request to preserve video footage first appeared May 17. See below for quote:

"CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.
On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Pictures have been added to the comments section)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th."

Ok so discounted.. thanks
What about this statement? Has it been discounted too? I notice that the article has a correction but the statement remained.
The 49-year-old Maysville woman was last seen going for a bike ride.

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman
It came out that no one actually saw her on the bike - her family was all out of town and the neighbor did not actually see her or the bike. In fact, no one has come forward saying they saw her - we don't really know when she was last seen which is odd in a missing persons case.
IMO
ETA: Link
5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike
‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

Last edited:
Oviedo, per the CCSO fb page press releases, the request to preserve video footage first appeared May 17. See below for quote:

"CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.
On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Pictures have been added to the comments section)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th."
thanks so much!!!

It came out that no one actually saw her on the bike - her family was all out of town and the neighbor did not actually see her or the bike. In fact, no one has come forward saying they saw her - we don't really know when she was last seen which is odd in a missing persons case.
IMO
I edited my post and added more.

IMO We have focused too narrowly, when I look back on this whole case, did we give any thought to why someone w/ paid for house continues to work?

Respectfully snipped for focus in the response.
A man's gotta eat?
Even if your house is all paid for, you've still got to come up with $$ for utilities, auto, college tuition, taxes, food, medical bills, insurance, home repairs. If you haven't reached Social Security age—and even after that for many many people—you have to work. It doesn't matter whether you enjoy the job or not: you've still got to pay the bills. IME

- is our timeline good?’ - thanks for the updates sleuthers
Timeline
6/1 - BM files incapacity proceedings in IN probate court seeking guardianship of SM - petition to sell property included - Temporary Letters issued naming BM Guardian and Order entered to sell property 6/5

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

5/29 - SM hometown shows support
Missing woman's hometown shows support

5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf

5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/23- CCSO no new updates
Press release May 23, 2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM
May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike

5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)
BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

5/17 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
May 17 Search Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)
Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview
HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/14. When Colorado Channel 2 reporter asked Mr. Morphew if he’s interested in making a public plea, Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.

Video at link:
Lisa Novack Wood
5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend)
TN tells reporter bik0e has been found
Sheriff Spezze said they had found a few more item(s) the previous day 5/14.

Searching For Suzanne Morphew: Reward For Information Doubled To $200,000

Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

https://www.********.com/f/suzanne-morphew

5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested
YouTube

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride
--

Was there even a landscaping job? I am wondering the same thing. Why wouldn't the client hire a landscaper locally, from Denver?

Wouldn't that be more cost effective for everyone involved? Would BM be bringing in heavy equipment? Big fuel expense lugging trailer full of equipment hours to and from.

And putting up the crew in a motel, buying all their meals out? It doesn't make sense when there are hundreds of landscapers already in town. JMO

All of that actually sounds even less realistic, considering so many things were on lock down at the time. I haven't even looked, but on Mother's Day weekend in Denver, was landscaping considered an essential business and allowed to be in operation? Where I am, nearly all business like that stopped, unless it was emergency repair sort of work. And were hotels/motels even open Mother's day weekend to put the crew up Sunday night? I'm just not buying the "landscaping in Denver" story. The whole thing just seems way too convenient.

Snipped to be concise.
I'm thinking BM might be a "hardscape" kind of person. This would be more of a niche where there would be fewer contractors for customers to choose from. It might also have been fairly easy to come in with a low bid, get entry-door business for your start up, have a scheme to be in Denver on a regular basis, or a certain day.... In that case, I can see Denver being a possibility.
What gives me pause is that BM seemed to have been doing some very basic dirt moving at the construction site where LE was investigating. That job doesn't seem to fit at all into a picture of someone who can presumably command $$$ for landscaping.
I had a commercial concrete business for years. Don't see anything shady about the work opportunity. We are in a heavily populated area, Wash DC, it can take easily an hour to an hour and a half to get to a "local" job so to speak...traffic alone. Then you need to find a place to park. He could have expertise and equipment to do "site" work...the first trade on the job. He was apparently laying a slab, as we know, from LE's previous search. Concrete work ain't landscaping, folks. He could own a lot of his own equipment, where others don't, that allows you to underbid when you need work. Nothing about the job strikes me as odd at all. Site work is the first trade in , Concrete the second and yes...Landscaping is last.

Last edited:
Hi oviedo
I don't know if the following has been posted, discussed or discounted but just in case you want to add to the timeline:

The mom-of-two - who previously worked as a middle-school teacher in Indiana - was last active on social media the day before her disappearance.

She posted a picture to Facebook with her two daughters with the word 'Blessed' placed over the top.

Colorado mom, 49, vanishes after setting out on a Mother's Day bike ride | Daily Mail Online

WEll if that is where the "last heard from May 9th" has been coming from all along, it's dead wrong.
It's already been established that "blessed" pic was actually posted in 2019, not 2020.

I have a question for you. Why do you think a client in Denver, would hire him, from 2 hours away?

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to hire a crew from Denver that didn't need added travel costs, motel costs, etc?

I am trying to understand that part.
I would need to know more about the job. The job LE dug up looks to be residential so I would expect this to be being done owner/builder and not using a General Contractor. They might tho.
We don't know if that is the job BM was setting up for his men to work on for that Monday tho. He could even have several jobs going on in the area. We usually have many jobs going at the same time. Heck, he could have 3 jobs in Denver, 2 in Colorado Springs all going at the same time. It would be a matter of having enough crews. I don't know how big his business is nor how much he can handle at one time.
Anyway, BM might have a reputation in the area or might be hired as a subcontractor under the General Contractor. Imo, it's all about the money, reputation and relationship.
We are headquartered in one area but contract not only locally, but many hours away and out of state. We put our crews up to be near the jobsites. Some live nearby sometimes. We are mindful of the schedules, which is very important as to not holding up other trades to also be on schedule. This becomes part of the subcontractors reputation.
Owners often get 3 bids on projects prior to going under contract. If they're hiring a G/C, the G/C will get bids from different subcontractors for the different trades. Then the hired G/C chooses the subs they use. A lot of times a G/C will have favorite subs for the different trades and negotiate the price with them. These often are long term relationships.
Hope I didn't make the explanation to confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member