Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Press Release:

Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Case (June 10)

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
June 10, 2020

It has been one month since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County. In that time, local, state and federal investigators have followed-up on hundreds of tips and conducted a number of searches in an effort to locate Ms. Morphew, who was reported missing on Mother’s Day, May 10, 2020.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is being assisted by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in this missing person case.

In addition to countless interviews conducted in the last month, approximately 500 tips have been called into a designated tip line in the investigation, along with 10 large-scale searches performed throughout the county.

On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case. Nearly two dozen members of law enforcement will take part in this comprehensive effort on Wednesday.

The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to the investigation as it becomes available.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

http://www.cobar.org/Portals/COBAR/Repository/publicDocs/Joint Tenancy_web.pdf?ver=2012-07-27-130027-493
Property owned in CO as joint tenants (Deed must specify joint tenants) : when one person dies, the other "share" goes to the survivor without need for probate in most cases....
JMO
It takes years, depending on state, to have a missing person declared deceased.
I haven't had the time yet but I need to search their IN properties.
I'm not sure if I mentioned this already or just meant to but the home they moved from in Arcadia was sold one year ago for $750,000. One of the articles linked here stated that it hadn't been sold yet, which is false per Estately.
I have the link, if allowed.
Records show that they have/had a number of properties in IN but I don't know how many of them are still investment properties or are already sold.

New material from today's press release:

On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case. Nearly two dozen members of law enforcement will take part in this comprehensive effort on Wednesday.

Interesting!

It sounds to me as if LE now has some specific areas of focus that they've identified as a result of their investigation.
I think they're in the process of nailing down SM's last known whereabouts.

I wonder if they're going to be knocking on the doors of homes and/or businesses in specific locations asking for any video surveillance saved from between the dates of May 8th - May 12th.

They may be at a point of readiness to start collecting those additional pieces to the puzzle, to see if/how they fit into the picture.

JMO.

Last edited:
"On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case. Nearly two dozen members of law enforcement will take part in this comprehensive effort on Wednesday." Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff

I wonder if this is the request for saved surveillance video they said they'd be asking about.

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Nearly 2 Dozen Investigators Canvassing Chaffee County Community Wednesday
June 10, 2020 at 11:26 am

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) — It has been over a month since Suzanne Morphew went for a bike ride near her home outside of Salida and never came home. On Wednesday, nearly two dozen members of law enforcement plan to conduct a community canvas in Chaffee County.

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Nearly 2 Dozen Investigators Canvassing Chaffee County Community Wednesday

I totally agree. I would never have a house there, myself. Just living in that location and spending a lot of time alone is a risk, I would think; but then again I've never lived like that, so what would I know about it?
The sheriff confirmed, in his first news conference, that SM was "an avid biker" and that "she rode pretty often". There is really only one direction to ride from SM's house, and that is "up". There is really only one direction to get back home, and that would be "down". The logical choices of that return direction would be back down Highway 50, which in my opinion would be no fun at all after the first time; Fooses Creek, or Green's Creek.............which comes out well below SM's house and requires a pretty steep ride back up US 50 to get home. I think she took it often, but I caution that the Colorado Trail and the Fooses Creek descent run very close together. When ascending on the Colorado Trail, there are plenty of opportunities to cut the ride short of the top, making the descent much less adrenalin-pumping; but still a great ride for fresh mountain air and quality exercise. IMO

I want the easier downhill part to be on the way home after I'm pooped from playing, biking, walking.

Lauren Scharf posted the press release on her public Facebook page (hopefully ok to link):

Lauren Scharf

No mention of bike ride in this one.
bbm
LE are effectively saying that they don't think a bike ride happened.
Not that they ever did think that.

And no mention of a poi.
But I'm sure they have questions including who pushed the bike ride theory.
B/c at this time it's just speculation.
Imo.

Look how long it's taken to find "human remains" in the Vallow/Daybell case. Nine months since 2 minor children went missing. I bet many thought nothing would ever be found and the case would stall out forever.

Yesterday was a surprise, and a welcome surprise that LE had never given up.

We never know when a person or person(s) will be located, and we'll never know what all went on in the background, where the public doesn't see.

New material from today's press release:

Good post.
LE are really reaching.
It's as if they want anyone in the community to say when they last saw or spoke to Suzanne.
I find that incredibly telling and sad . :(

How long has she been missing ?
Since before May ?
Imo.

Interesting language in the press release - that LE is not only going to ask residents for information but they intend to SHARE information......hmmm

Also, noteworthy: no mention of the bike ride

NO mention of when last seen or heard from

ONLY stated that she was reported missing on May 10th

I'm not saying he's lying or telling the truth; I just have to add that some people speak this way when just plain anxious and stressed. I do. I blabber on and sometimes someone will have to bring me back around to remind me to answer the question directly. I always want to explain everything (too much) so there's no misunderstanding. Bwahahaha - it backfires on occasion, but people who know me, know this. Big social anxiety causes me to blather if I have to speak at all.

I trust that the FBI and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation know exactly what their doing. We’ve seen their work in 3 major investigations in so many years (Watts, Frazee, Stauch) and I have no doubt that they’ve got this one handled too.
JMO
Ita.
I think we'll be surprised (yes, even us jaded long-timers in WS crime sleuthing ) at what evidence LE have amassed in their investigation.

I was surprised at how much they had on P.Frazee --even without a full set of remains. :eek:

I trust that the FBI and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation know exactly what their doing. We’ve seen their work in 3 major investigations in so many years (Watts, Frazee, Stauch) and I have no doubt that they’ve got this one handled too.
JMO
yes and all of them were killed by a person very close to them IMO. We are just waiting for the trial for Stauch - they know what they are doing - we just wait now.
JMO

Wanted to share a few thoughts based on my experience. So this week we poured a concrete patio in our yard. When doing a concrete pour (even at a job site) the mix truck is called in from whoever your supplier is. Once it arrives, the truck dumps the concrete while the workers spread, move, and level it out. While it’s not impossible, I highly doubt that BM supplies his own concrete. He isn’t mixing it in wheelbarrows himself. So I find it highly unlikely he would hide something in concrete (which we don’t know really if anything was found or not). Also, when pouring, people are walking all over the pad area - it has to be leveled out well - so it would take quite a bit of planning to get something to the job site and totally hidden before workers arrived or the pour started.

As far as setting up the job himself in Denver, this doesn’t strike me as strange at all. My dad and husband both own businesses doing different types of “construction” work. They have both had to set up jobs before crews arrive. Covid has had minimal to no effect on my husband’s job schedule and he has continued to work outside the home everyday just as usual.

I don’t know where I land on the guilt scale or if these points matter, but hey, there’s my two cents ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one that lived it