Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if he’s guilty, we can only hope that LE has the evidence to arrest him. If BM gets away with murder in this digital age, there’s an element of ‘genius’ in his planning. Not just luck.
IMO
I think he ain’t no genius.

If he was, then I think we would have seen this handled with less confidence (official missing posters, and frequent updates).

BM made a boo boo.

I think he ain’t no genius.

If he was, then I think we would have seen this handled with less confidence (official missing posters, and frequent updates).

BM made a boo boo.

IF there was foul play ( I say IF, because there is no definitive proof as of yet that something untoward has happened, although imo there is definitely something suspicious going on) someone has done quite a thorough job of ensuring there is very little evidence etc. although LE may have suspicions they don't appear to have much to go on, otherwise there would be more movement in the case wouldn't there?

IF there was foul play ( I say IF, because there is no definitive proof as of yet that something untoward has happened, although imo there is definitely something suspicious going on) someone has done quite a thorough job of ensuring there is very little evidence etc. although LE may have suspicions they don't appear to have much to go on, otherwise there would be more movement in the case wouldn't there?
No. A no-body case can take a very long time. Without a cooperating witness, or without a client that builds a case against themselves (Letecia Stauch at the time), then it can take many months. Sometimes those cases are never prosecuted.

Fotis Dulos for instance, left a bloody crime scene, his DNA at that scene, and was caught red handed dumping evidence.

It still took 7 months to file murder charges.

These are VERY early days.

What gives me a ton of confidence, is the immediate focus early on, on the killer being close to home. This wouldn’t have been a guess.

They had to have had something big.

We’ve seen a search warrant executed only last week, and just because we don’t see movement, does not mean it isn’t happening.

Personally, I have no doubt that justice is coming. It’s only a matter of when.

Last edited:
Old enemies suddenly acting different? Family problems? Someone traveling a lot alone lately? Some suspicious activity among Hoosiers, like a drug ring or something? Just throwing out some rough ideas.......(food for thought) IMO
I hear you Dave. But if this were true, how in the world has it all been kept SO quiet for all these weeks? What has both sides of the family so scared that nary a peep has been made. What on earth could Suzanne have done or said to have a drug ring disappear her? Why her? Or is she collateral damage? Why come all the way to Colorado to amke her go away? Whatever it could be I can't imagine that there would not be digital traces of communication in this regard. Is that what you think sent the investigators off to Indiana? MOO

For me, this could not possible be any clearer.

Multiple search warrants executed on the same property. I’m pretty sure they needed a separate warrant to search that house again

An excavation of a property that had work done on it DAYS before Mother’s Day. Meaning, BM possibly could have buried Suzanne under concrete well before the 10th.

Then we have a man behaving unlike any innocent person I’ve ever seen. I don’t care about what a lawyer would advise, I care about human nature.

Funny enough, this is what Patrick Frazee did. He went against human nature, shut up, and lawyered up. He’s now serving a sentence of life, plus 156.

Watts, Berreth, Stauch, Morphew:

Four Colorado cases in a row, that involved the CBI and FBI in some capacity. They don’t tell us what they have, but they do project exactly where they are looking.

In this case, I’d argue that it’s right at BM.
BBM:

Right.

These aren't assumptions we're making.
They're logical deductions based on known facts.

We know for a fact LE has obtained search warrants.

We don't need to see the contents of the warrants to know that the fact LE conducted a dig at site BM worked at PRIOR to May 10th means that not only do they have reason to suspect BM, they have no proof of her being alive and well on May 10th.

The judge didn't look at LE's affidavit and "assume" that LE had reason to dig up a site where BM worked before SM purportedly disappeared.

LE had to establish probable cause for the judge to sign off on that warrant.

Not "remotely possible" cause.

Probable cause.

JMO.

Last edited:
A case in Virginia (1984, Melissa Branden) , they felt they knew immediately, beyond a reasonable doubt, who had done the crime but had no body. Although Virginia law did not require a body of the victim to file murder charges, the law does require prosecutors to identify the location of the murder. In the end they did charge him with kidnapping based on fibers found in his car. But they never could bring the murder charges; she still has never been found.

I wonder if Colorado has similar requirements? Anybody know?

I could see the law being mitigated based on an eye witness, or overwhelming evidence that wasn’t available when the law was written. Meaning....
Mark Pfoff, a former El Paso County detective… "Back in the 60s, finger prints were huge in helping to solve a case. In the 80s and 90s, DNA,"…In the 21st century, cell phones and technology are the new DNA."

BBM:

Right.

These aren't assumptions we're making.
They're logical deductions based on known facts.

We know for a fact LE has obtained search warrants.

We don't need to see the contents of the warrants to know that the fact LE conducted a dig at site BM worked at PRIOR to May 10th means that not only do they have reason to suspect BM, they have no proof of her being alive and well on May 10th.

The judge didn't look at LE's affidavit and "assume" that LE had reason to dig up a site where BM worked before SM purportedly disappeared.

LE had to establish probable cause for the judge to sign off on that warrant.

Not "remotely possible" cause.

Probable cause.

JMO.

I am looking for the source that confirms the execution of multiple SW's in this case?

I can only find MSM confirming the initial SW used to conduct a search of the missing person's house.

A case in Virginia (1984, Melissa Branden) , they felt they knew immediately, beyond a reasonable doubt, who had done the crime but had no body. Although Virginia law did not require a body of the victim to file murder charges, the law does require prosecutors to identify the location of the murder. In the end they did charge him with kidnapping based on fibers found in his car. But they never could bring the murder charges; she still has never been found.

I wonder if Colorado has similar requirements? Anybody know?

I could see the law being mitigated based on an eye witness, or overwhelming evidence that wasn’t available when the law was written. Meaning....
Mark Pfoff, a former El Paso County detective… "Back in the 60s, finger prints were huge in helping to solve a case. In the 80s and 90s, DNA,"…In the 21st century, cell phones and technology are the new DNA."
Nope, Just ask Patrick Frazee.

Ironically, the killer literally stated to a friend, “no body, no murder.”

Legendary DA, Dan May, said “no body, no problem.”

All you have to prove, is that the victim is dead, and the suspect did it.

I am looking for the source that confirms the execution of multiple SW's in this case?

I can only find MSM confirming the initial SW used to conduct a search of the missing person's house.

LE returned to the house and conducted a second search.

I doubt they showed up at the door empty-handed.

I just can't picture BM welcoming them in with open arms, can you?

JMO.

Last edited:

Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV

The FBI has confirmed that they are doing a “operation activity” today in Maysville in regards to the #MissingPerson case of #suzannemorphew I am also putting an article together today about the case thus far. It will be on
@FOX21News
#FindSuzanne

1:50 PM · Jul 9, 2020

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Home Again, Say No One Has Been Ruled Out As Suspect

July 9, 2020

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) — Two months after the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew, local, state, and federal investigators searched the Morphew property west of Salida once again. On Thursday, investigators said they can’t rule anyone out as a suspect.

[..]

“This case remains very active, as more than a dozen investigators are aggressively working this case on a daily basis,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “And until we determine what happened to Suzanne, we can’t discount any scenario or formally eliminate anyone from suspicion.”

[..]

In May, the sheriff’s office, the FBI and CBI conducted a three-day search at a residential construction site east of Salida. The property owner told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Suzanne’s husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property. Officials with the sheriff’s office said they did not make any connection to Suzanne’s case.

Family members say Barry Morphew was out of town, in Denver, when his wife disappeared. On May 17, he released a video pleading for his wife’s safe return.

[..]

Investigators say more than 600 tips have been called into a designated tip line, and many searches have been performed throughout the county. The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is being assisted by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the investigation.

FBI, CBI, and local investigators return to Suzanne Morphew’s home for search

July 9, 2020

SALIDA, Colo. (KKTV) - It has been two months since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County, but investigators have not stopped their search.

Since the initial report of her disappearance on May 10, CBI reports more than 600 tips have been called in and numerous interviews have been conducted.

On Thursday, July 9, local, state and federal investigators returned to the Morphew property west of Salida to continue their search. To this date, no arrests have been made.

[..]

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to this search once this becomes available.

"Two months after the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew, local, state, and federal investigators searched the Morphew property west of Salida once again. On Thursday, investigators said they can’t rule anyone out as a suspect."

According to Denver cbs local, they were searching the Morphew property today.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Home Again, Say No One Has Been Ruled Out As Suspect

FBI, CBI, and local investigators return to Suzanne Morphew’s home for search
y KKTV
Published: Jul. 9, 2020 at 5:30 PM EDT|Updated: 17 hours ago

SALIDA, Colo. (KKTV) - It has been two months since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County, but investigators have not stopped their search.

Since the initial report of her disappearance on May 10, CBI reports more than 600 tips have been called in and numerous interviews have been conducted.

On Thursday, July 9, local, state and federal investigators returned to the Morphew property west of Salida to continue their search. To this date, no arrests have been made.

“This case remains very active, as more than a dozen investigators are aggressively working this case on a daily basis,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “And until we determine what happened to Suzanne, we can’t discount any scenario or formally eliminate anyone from suspicion.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to this search once this becomes available.
snipped

Perhaps our sleuthers have inferred a second or more warrants were issued to return to the home to search a second time ?
Jmo

Nope, Just ask Patrick Frazee.

Ironically, the killer literally stated to a friend, “no body, no murder.”

Legendary DA, Dan May, said “no body, no problem.”

All you have to prove, is that the victim is dead, and the suspect did it.
In the case of Kelsey Berreth's murder (Patrick Frazee), LE knew the crime scene (her apartment) and the weapon (a baseball bat). In the Melissa Brennan (I assume we are referring to Melissa Brennan and not Brendan) case LE could never locate the crime scene or a weapon so no manner and cause of death was obvious. The suspect was found guilty of kidnapping and intent to molest. (An appeals court overturned the intent to molest.) The killer is now out of prison. The purpose for the crime scene at the time in Virginia is to provide proof - large amount of blood and/or body matter - that would indicate the victim would not likely survive. I don't know if that is the same in CO.

If BM consented to a look see , LE would not need a warrant, right? And why would BM refuse to let LE look around?
Our own @riolove77 And @gitana1 Explained a few threads ago That they need a warrant for successful prosecution and our own @Angleterre has provided insight regarding the investigation process - it seems to me based on their expert /verified opinions Provided , This is proceeding nicely IMO

There is correlation between the size of the boo boo, and length of time it will take for an arrest. The longer this goes, the smaller the boo boo.

IMO
I disagree. Because of the boo boo, the snowball will begin rolling down hill.

Getting bigger and bigger.

They didn’t waste time exploring the abduction scenario, as they otherwise would have.

This is not a crime that is easy to get away with IMO:

Cell phone data/irregularities

Potential physical evidence that will be found, that wouldn’t otherwise even be looked for.

Vehicle GPS data/forensic evidence inside or in the bed.

Surveillance cameras

Any alarm system motion data, even if the cameras were disabled

Financial records

Witness statements

Potential cooperating parties

Etc

ETA: My sense early on, was that this would take many months, as these things do. I’m way more optimistic now.

Especially with that secondary search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member