Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BIBM This is the problem. It’s fun to try and speculate but there could be so much we don’t know that went on behind closed doors that led up to this tragedy including that they were solid and happily married but something else happened that we literally have no clue about. Frustrating!
The video 'plea' really gave me pause as to how happy they were together.
Not to mention the other 'inactions'.
MOO
Plus there's a mountain of unknowns surrounding Suzanne's disappearance that have been discussed at great length here !

If I went missing under the same circumstances as Suzanne, (a short and sweet video infomercial; a random interview with a passerby ; no cooperating press conference with LE ; no searches other than the ones carried out by LE; and a reward offered contingent on my safe return with no questions asked (I read this to possibly mean : "no questions will be permitted ?" ) my own family would have taken action -- up to and including getting up close and personal with my spouse !!!
Don't get me wrong-- my family is law-abiding, but he would find life somewhat uncomfortable !
Thank goodness my DH is a good person and I don't think I'd ever be in a situation like Suzanne's.

Not blaming Suzanne's side of the family as I think they've been told something by LE, and are in shock and already grieving !
Hence Suzanne's sibling saying "this isn't going to end well" (paraphrased)
IMO

Last edited:
The video 'plea' really gave me pause as to how happy they were together.
Not to mention the other 'inactions'.
MOO
Plus there's a mountain of unknowns surrounding Suzanne's disappearance that have been discussed at great length here !

If I went missing under the same circumstances as Suzanne, (a short and sweet video infomercial; a random interview with a passerby ; no cooperating press conference with LE ; no searches other than the ones carried out by LE; and a reward offered contingent on my safe return with no questions asked (I read this to possibly mean : "no questions will be permitted ?" ) my own family would have taken action up to and including getting up close and personal with my spouse !!!
Don't get me wrong-- my family is law-abiding, but he would find life somewhat uncomfortable !
Thank goodness my DH is a good person and I don't think I'd ever be in a situation like Suzanne's.

Not blaming Suzanne's side of the family as I think they've been told something by LE, and are in shock and already grieving !
Hence Suzanne's sibling saying "this isn't going to end well" (paraphrased)
IMO
I know me too but could there be a reason BM and SM’s family are keeping so quiet? It’s seems almost too obvious they aren’t doing the things most normal people would do if a loved one was missing. You would think if BM was guilty he would at least continue the charade and try harder to look like a worried, grieving husband. And the daughters are quiet too and staying with him. It’s so weird.

JMO
Very early in this case we recognized that we were not being told when the last time SM was seen or heard from by anyone other than the alleged bike ride on MD.

Establishing a timeline is important to any case and that would be one of the first questions LE would try to determine.

I am sure they asked BM when was the last time he saw and spoke with SM. LE would still check with others to try to validate from others as well like asking the girls since LE needs to find out the very last day and time SM could be accounted for. Its one of the reasons LE was interested in any security camera videos.

I suspect there has been some conflicting information as LE tried to determine who and when SM was last seen or heard from by anyone.

If the girls were in a habit of daily text communication with SM then LE may know they could not get ahold of her even before Mothers Day and that could possibly contradict when BM says he last saw and spoke with her.

But like was already mentioned, we and LE have to be careful because text messaging could be sent by anyone so that in itself is not proof the person sent the text.

So LE would have to find someone that either spoke to SM verbally on the phone or physically saw her in person. And even when they think they have it pinned down, they still need to be sure to identify the very last time SM can be accounted for so they would check as many sources as possible because they could end up being surprised that someone actually saw her after someone else claimed they did.

Thus, the latest statement from LE about finding some new information about that which was later than they had been thinking. We dont really know what they meant but I am taking it as whatever it was that made them say that was maybe a contradiction to what someone else had told them.

Search For Suzanne Morphew In Salida Concludes With No New Clues
snipped
Investigators dug beneath a concrete slab. The property owner told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger Suzanne’s husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property.
-----
noting I thought there was a reference to "weeks earlier" but if so, it's been removed.
IMO

I don’t recall ever seeing anyone saying when BM worked at the property, but do remember that the property owner was quoted as saying he had only known BM for three weeks.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida

SALIDA, Colo. (CBS4) — A residential construction site is now the focus of the search for Suzanne Morphew, a Colorado woman who was reported missing from her Chaffee County home on Mother’s Day. The property owner confirmed to CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Suzanne’s husband was hired to lay dirt on the riverfront land, located east of Salida.

The owner of the property told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that he has known Barry Morphew for three weeks. The river front property was undergoing improvement. Concrete was laid over the dirt.

Don't know how my post ended up in other person's quote.

The thing for me that puts a spanner in the works for that scenario is that the call to LE to report SM missing was around 5:45 pm yet BM waltzed into a search for his spouse around 9 pm. He obviously took the scenic route home while other people searched for his wife.

The drive from Thornton (suburb appx 10 miles north of Denver where BM was working) to Salida is about 150 miles and 2:45-3 hours drive and not all interstate driving. It includes mountain passes and winding back roads.

Below are two conflicting stories about what he was doing in Denver. The important thing here is no matter how the news got this information the ultimate source had to be from the husband because its not like someone would just make up a specific reason why he was in Denver. So I believe LE caught him in this lie at the very beginning as one of the first things that showed LE he was not being truthful with them.

"On the day Suzanne vanished, Barry was reportedly in Denver at a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter."

Cops make second search of home of missing Colorado woman | Daily Mail Online

"Sources familiar with the case have said that her husband Barry Morphew was in Denver that weekend, working on a landscaping job, although authorities in Chaffee County have not confirmed this."

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

ETA - And notice authorities have not even been able to confirm about the latest story. Maybe there was no Denver job site.

I respectfully disagree on two points.

1) All it would take to get confused about BLM's whereabouts would be a lack of understanding or misunderstanding that he had two jobs. The "training course" story could have been an interpretation of a lazy journalistic outfit upon learning that BLM was in Denver for his "job" without further details. The source didn't necessarily need to be BLM himself and very likely was not, leading to the mistake.

2) I believe you are misinterpreting the phrase about authorities in Chaffee County not confirming where BLM was on such date. I think the article, again not awesomely written, is attempting to say that LE hasn't confirmed BLM's location to CrimeOnline. I do not believe they are saying that LE doesn't know. This would be consistent with LE in this case being unwilling to confirm almost anything. They may have said "its part of the investigation" which seems to be a favorite way to not answer a question.

In any case, just thought I'd share. All IMO. Maybe I am misinterpreting on all counts.

Source for Thornton as location of worksite?

I used to live in Thornton and knew that from the first week- it stuck with me since I'm familiar with the location where he worked. I'm not sure where I heard it- assumed it was part of the few facts we had as I didn't get involved in discussion/speculation until a few weeks later when it was not solved.

I respectfully disagree on two points.

1) All it would take to get confused about BLM's whereabouts would be a lack of understanding or misunderstanding that he had two jobs. The "training course" story could have been an interpretation of a lazy journalistic outfit upon learning that BLM was in Denver for his "job" without further details. The source didn't necessarily need to be BLM himself and very likely was not, leading to the mistake.

2) I believe you are misinterpreting the phrase about authorities in Chaffee County not confirming where BLM was on such date. I think the article, again not awesomely written, is attempting to say that LE hasn't confirmed BLM's location to CrimeOnline. I do not believe they are saying that LE doesn't know. This would be consistent with LE in this case being unwilling to confirm almost anything. They may have said "its part of the investigation" which seems to be a favorite way to not answer a question.

In any case, just thought I'd share. All IMO. Maybe I am misinterpreting on all counts.

I believe the "training" story came directly out of the mouth of the nephew. No need for a journalistic screw-up.

Surely the source of that was BM?

LE must know quite a bit about whether BM was in Denver. The second story did (worksite prep) didn't emerge until Fire Chief (inadvertently) ruined BM's first alibi. IMO.

The drive from Thornton (suburb appx 10 miles north of Denver where BM was working) to Salida is about 150 miles and 2:45-3 hours drive and not all interstate driving. It includes mountain passes and winding back roads.

I don't get any hits for Thornton in any news stories regarding SM's disappearance. I believe most distance calculators take into consideration the speed limit and terrain.

It still seems odd to me that once he found out his kids hadn't been able to get in touch with their mother for quite a while and after his neighbour spent how much time doing a walkabout around the Morphew residence and let him know she was no where to be found that he wasn't already on his way home. He could have easily called his workers while he was on the road about an emergency that had come up.

I believe the "training" story came directly out of the mouth of the nephew. No need for a journalistic screw-up.

Surely the source of that was BM?

LE must know quite a bit about whether BM was in Denver. The second story did (worksite prep) didn't emerge until Fire Chief (inadvertently) ruined BM's first alibi. IMO.

It does seem that the alibis originate from BM. My question is, did he think his story or stories, would not have to be verified. Seems like he was flying by the seat of his pants if he's lying right and left. Do you see this often in murder cases? I saw it with Leticia, but thought she was one of a kind. Thx. Moo

Thread is open again.

There is absolutely nothing in MSM or from LE to indicate that Suzanne suffered from any mental illness.

Discussing known victim behaviour, good or bad, is allowed but speculating that the victim suffers from something that has somehow contributed to their disappearance is not victim friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader