Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my non-existent knowledge of construction but through a lot of reading, it seems to me that that the insulation under-slab is before a concrete pour. If that inspection took place on 5/11, the pour had not yet happened-right? Can someone review and advise on timelines?

To which I would add:
*- ID and/or insurance card, if she carried it in her jersey pocket

*- Some sort of bike mounted GPS device (would be id'd as hers if connected to a computer)

Agree. Assuming the scene was staged, whatever "items" were found would belong to SM without question. Conveniently and easily identified.
*- If an electronic device monitored heart rate, then possibly the chest strap (I hate to think about this as this would definitely indicate a struggle). Could be id'd electronically since most are paired to an electronic device like a bike mounted unit if it was still on the bike.

*- Her hydration pack such as a Camelbak (I know you can see the shoulder straps and maybe the water tube in the one photo of her) if it was distinctive enough or had something of hers in the pocket like an ID.

*- A medic alert bracelet or necklace.

*- RoadID, if she had one as it would have her name, address and emergency #.

Agree. Assuming the scene was staged, whatever "items" were found would belong to SM without question. Conveniently and easily identified.

Last edited:
Exaggeration for Effect, Hyperbole and Lies
People do these things for all sorts of reasons. Most are self serving. Four stand out.

"searched a 200 mile radius"
SAR would say that is a huge task. It would require hundreds of volunteers hiking and mountaineering in very difficult terrain some of which could only be searched with air support (helo's, fixed wing, drone's, etc.). Swift water searching as well. If any of this happened locals would know because it would have went on for weeks.

"because the cats dragged their prey up a mountain"
This isn't typical mountain lion behavior. Normally, they will do what all animals do and use the path of least resistance. Dragging prey downhill instead of up and only for short distances. The reason they kill is to eat. I wouldn't take my fettuccine alfredo on a walkabout before consuming it. Neither do large predators. Rain doesn't wash this evidence away easily. He's a hunter. He knows this stuff.

"my friends an Army ranger and knows this stuff better than anybody"
While being a member of any elite force requires extensive training the skill set needed to manage an incident, define a search area, assemble volunteers, provide a command center, define grid search parameters, assemble maps, provide leadership, insure safety etc. is not a skill set many have. These are typically professionals who also look at the mindset of the missing person.

"400 tours in Iraq-Afghanistan"
Typically a military tour of duty implies a months long deployment. On the short end of the scale you might see it as 3-6 months but they are typically longer. No military member would claim they had done 400, 300, 200 or even 100 tours of duty to others. Of course, it may have been a slip of the tongue and he meant days not tours but I don't think so.

My guess is the CCSO, CBI and FBI are going to cash someone's generous checks that were donated to a worthwhile cause without even knowing how many extra zero's they unwittingly added.

Here is a list of inspection dates if this helps. I know nothing about construction so I don't know a caisson from a sewer line and what would be BMs job.

04/16/2020 Footing Passed Chad

04/23/2020 Foundation Passed Aaron

04/29/2020 Damproof Passed Chad

04/29/2020 Foundation Drainage Passed Mike

05/01/2020 Sewer Line Passed Aaron

05/01/2020 Water Line Passed Aaron

05/06/2020 Footing Passed Chad

05/06/2020 Plumbing-UG Passed Chad

05/11/2020 Insulation-UnderSlab Passed Aaron

05/11/2020 Plumbing-In Floor Tube Passed Aaron

05/14/2020 Caissons/Piers Failed Aaron

05/15/2020 Caissons/Piers Passed Chad

Building Department Permit Detail
I have to admit I know very little about BM's business, but right off I don't see anything here that might fall under 'landscaping'. That said, though, one could make the argument that a landscaper on the grounds could bury a body or other evidence in an area unrelated to their normal work if they had access.

This date comes from the bike ride narrative. It’s obvious the FBI does not believe this date, as what sense would digging up concrete that was put down prior to that date make?
Where do you think they got this date?
-------snipped
Mrs Morphew has not been heard from since May 9. A bike owned by the mother-of-two was recovered from a bridge close to her home on May 10, according to local sources – the same day she was reported missing.
Police and FBI wrap up search at property where missing mom Suzanne Morphew's husband worked | Daily Mail Online
-------------
As we know LE has never released a "last sighted" date - just the 911 call on the 10th. Asking to save video from the 8th - 10th and then remarking that it was "earlier" so sometime between him laying the dirt or whatever he was doing and the 8th is what they may mean now?
intriguing, IMO

I have no idea if anyone has addressed this yet, but I think I now understand the comment to the effect of “we now believe someone may have seen Suzanne later than we previously believed.”

This was mentioned in the latest Lauren Sharf Facebook live.

Suzanne allegedly disappeared on the 10th, but BM’s work on that property they dug up, was done prior to this date.

Now I don’t think we know the exact date, but let’s say hypothetically, it was the 6th.

We know they were looking under concrete, which means they would have had to believe Suzanne was put there on the (hypothetical) 6th or earlier.

So maybe they now believe it is some point between the 6th and the 10th.

If anyone could find the date Barry did that work, that would be fantastic (so I can change my hypothetical to the actual date).

There was an interview at the time of the dig by Rick Sallinger with either the homeowner or his nieghbor, who talked about the timing of the dirt work. That part of the interview is no longer accessible. I will not say what I think I remember, because I'm not sure and don't want to start us down a false trail. Moo

From my non-existent knowledge of construction but through a lot of reading, it seems to me that that the insulation under-slab is before a concrete pour. If that inspection took place on 5/11, the pour had not yet happened-right? Can someone review and advise on timelines?

That is correct, the two inspections on the 11th would have been prior to the slab being poured. As soon as the inspector nods is head yes, they can begin the work, I have seen them start the work before he finishes nodding his head. The inspections on the 14th could of have bearing on the slab but more than likely they were outside of the main slab area. The slab was probably poured and the caisson's built after the slab, very common.

That makes more sense as a 200 mile radius would include 68 counties. I do think BM is an exaggerator. He doesn’t want to think straight because the truth is not good enough for his grandiosity and the narrative he is pushing. Hence 200 tours of duty...200 mile radius.

BBM:

It was 400.
BM's buddy "who knows more about this stuff than anybody" did 400 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now, that number sounds impossibly high to me, but I'm not a military veteran.
I'm tagging a few members of WS who have military experience to get their knowledgeable input:

@MassGuy
@Falling Down
@m00c0w

Any of you have thoughts on the feasibility of a soldier having done 400 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan?

Or is that a great, big Whopper w/ Cheese by BM?

JMO.

BBM:

It was 400.
BM's buddy "who knows more about this stuff than anybody" did 400 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan, according to BM.

I'm tagging a few members of WS who have military experience to get their knowledgeable input:

@MassGuy
@Falling Down
@m00c0w

Any of you have thoughts on the feasibility of a soldier having done 400 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan?

JMO.
Served 4 and did 2. So I’d have to serve 800 years to match this amazing man.

I’m quite jealous actually.

There was an interview at the time of the dig by Rick Sallinger with either the homeowner or his nieghbor, who talked about the timing of the dirt work. That part of the interview is no longer accessible. I will not say what I think I remember, because I'm not sure and don't want to start us down a false trail. Moo
Search For Suzanne Morphew In Salida Concludes With No New Clues
snipped
Investigators dug beneath a concrete slab. The property owner told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger Suzanne’s husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property.
-----
noting I thought there was a reference to "weeks earlier" but if so, it's been removed.
IMO

BBM:

It was 400.
BM's buddy "who knows more about this stuff than anybody" did 400 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan.

@MassGuy
@Falling Down
@m00c0w

JMO.
It's definitely not a nothing burger, that's for sure

JMO

On May 22nd the homeowner told Rick Salinger that he knew BM for 3 weeks.
Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida

People do these things for all sorts of reasons. Most are self serving. Four stand out.

SAR would say that is a huge task. It would require hundreds of volunteers hiking and mountaineering in very difficult terrain some of which could only be searched with air support (helo's, fixed wing, drone's, etc.). Swift water searching as well. If any of this happened locals would know because it would have went on for weeks.

This isn't typical mountain lion behavior. Normally, they will do what all animals do and use the path of least resistance. Dragging prey downhill instead of up and only for short distances. The reason they kill is to eat. I wouldn't take my fettuccine alfredo on a walkabout before consuming it. Neither do large predators. Rain doesn't wash this evidence away easily. He's a hunter. He knows this stuff.

While being a member of any elite force requires extensive training the skill set needed to manage an incident, define a search area, assemble volunteers, provide a command center, define grid search parameters, assemble maps, provide leadership, insure safety etc. is not a skill set many have. These are typically professionals who also look at the mindset of the missing person.

Typically a military tour of duty implies a months long deployment. On the short end of the scale you might see it as 3-6 months but they are typically longer. No military member would claim they had done 400, 300, 200 or even 100 tours of duty to others. Of course, it may have been a slip of the tongue and he meant days not tours but I don't think so.

My guess is the CCSO, CBI and FBI are going to cash someone's generous checks that were donated to a worthwhile cause without even knowing how many extra zero's they unwittingly added.
Welcome to Websleuths!

I have to admit I know very little about BM's business, but right off I don't see anything here that might fall under 'landscaping'. That said, though, one could make the argument that a landscaper on the grounds could bury a body or other evidence in an area unrelated to their normal work if they had access.
It was confirmed by the homeowner that he "laid dirt" on the site.

I think many of us are being influenced by the Facebook and Instagram posts and photos, and are buying what is basically being sold to us.

A beautiful smiling family, living a great life in a Colorado.

But the truth is we don’t know these people, and we don’t know what went on behind closed doors.

Regardless, it is very unusual.
BIBM This is the problem. It’s fun to try and speculate but there could be so much we don’t know that went on behind closed doors that led up to this tragedy including that they were solid and happily married but something else happened that we literally have no clue about. Frustrating!

Yikes, so it could be May 1???? (re: last sighting date?)

ETA: I should add that if the homeowner met him 3 weeks earlier - and it took a week to get the job scheduled - that fits with the two weeks earlier I'm remembering - so really we are back to May 8. sigh.

Idk but I'd like to know how long the daughters were away... leaving BM as the last known person to see Suzanne.
If Suzanne only texted the girls after they left for the camping trip, I have a problem with that as texts can be sent by anyone.
Imo.

Welcome to Websleuths, SweetwaterJoe!

Phenomenal first post.

Love, love, love your last sentence in particular.
It's the most perfect imagery.
Because, Irony!

BM just can't help himself from inflating the numbers.

"Open mouth, insert Achilles heel."

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads