Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that in the Camp Fire (which was extremely hot), there is still 1 person for whom no remains were found. And the main source of data for the other dead were things like artificial joints or teeth. They found most of these parts by sifting and sifting. No DNA remained whatsoever, is my understanding.

Dogs can detect cadaverine for years, apparently (not produced when there's a completely burned body, obviously).

Cadaverine isn't produced right at the moment of death - but about 12-24 hours later. I hate even mentioning that, but it's easily google-able, in case of lurkers here.

A dead body will have so much cadaverine in it, if it decomposes naturally, that it will take a looong time for all the scent molecules to go away. There are also electronic sniffers, these days (roughly as good as dogs; dogs are much better in many circumstances, since they will head toward the source of the scent, whereas the sniffer operator has to keep taking measurements and walking in circles).

My questions would be around whether dogs can sniff tiny amounts of decomposing blood. (Trigger warning - more discussion of dead things): I read a study where they used dogs in butcher shops and places where meat is hung before it is butchered. Very early in the process, dogs could sniff cadaverine. And they could sniff it out as a blood smear on an apron or on packaging, as well.

What I've always wanted to know is whether well-trained dogs can distinguish between human cadaverine and other animals' cadaverine (they can, right?) I think the dogs in the above study were trained on bovine cadaverine, but I'm not absolutely positive.
Very interesting. So if a body is burned hours after death no cadavarine smell. When you said sifting and sifting it reminded me of the FBI at the dig site...they sure were looking hard for something small.

Let me handle the questions one by one:

1. I wasn't clear, and I'm sorry about that. I meant that the police officers investigating Suzanne's disappearance -- if they had evidence linking Barry to that disappearance -- had about 60 days from the judge's last ruling (the order allowing the sale of the home to go forward) until the Sept-1 hearing. In essence, if Colorado police (specifically, CCSO) had anything they wanted to produce for the judge to review, then they've had that opportunity.

2. When I say that the law requires that those opposed to act, I mean that the law requires those who may disfavor the guardianship to do something & not just expect the judge to do something. In this case, the Moormans can take part, though they'd probably have to file with the court so that the court knows that they wish to take part.

3. The law considers the Morphews' adult daughter to be capable of making her own decisions. It is possible for the judge to question her if he believes that it's appropriate to do so, since the statute gives the judge quite a bit of latitude.

4. Technically, I believe that one of the Moormans could object and take part without an attorney -- they would probably have to notify the court beforehand -- but it's advisable to have counsel in these types of proceedings.

5. The hearing is by videoconference. I'm not 100% sure if this is for convenience (Barry lives in Colorado) or for safety due to Covid-19. Regardless, the Indiana Supreme Court's emergency orders allow for videoconference hearings during the pandemic.

I disagree with point number one. LE lacks standing to intervene in the guardianship. And even if they did have standing, they are not going to reveal evidence in what is clearly a criminal investigation, in a civil guardianship proceeding. There is no way they would blow their case wide open in that manner.

Suzanne’s family likely have standing to object, however, they may have bigger fish to fry than to give any evidence that could hinder the current investigation. And I get the sense that they have that evidence.

IMO, we're lucky here in the United States that dogs can be trained on actual human remains. Other parts of the world - perhaps the UK? It's not legal but the closest they have to human remains is pigs. Interesting, huh?

My dog accidentally busted my nose before in training - my friend wanted my bloody napkin for training later with her HRD dog. lol I remember almost spitting my wine out when a friend at dinner talked about getting her wisdom teeth removed, the other one seriously asked if she would gift them to her. I know this shouldn't make me laugh but it does.
Me too! :D Imagine if one of her friends had a baby and she asks for the placenta!

Oh, this is loud and clear, and Profiling Evil’s Chris is calling out Barry for committing a terrible act of domestic violence, IMO.

I practice law in the MN, and work as a DV advocate on weekends. The Power and Control Wheel was invented here in Duluth, MN. Power and Control are at the center of the wheel. The spokes around the wheel show the many ways in which men (this wheel is gender specific) use different ways to control women in domestic arrangements. Battering is simply one way to maintain control, whereas power and control through isolation, threat, guilting, enforcing stereotypes, etc.

Who knows what went on in the Morphew household, but we know that the anonymous relative stated Barry was in control, had been for a long time. If the relative could see it from the “outside,” I am almost certain there was some type of DV going on in the “inside.”

IMO Profiling Evil is shouting it out. Show us! What did you do to her? You’ve controlled the story in your 26 seconds, then with TD you felt older and stronger and smarter, therefor you felt SAFER telling your story, you could fool that wandering dude with a phone....

Always. In. Control.

moo
Yes, I always thought that Suzanne’s “disappearance” was not the first incidence of violence or manipulation in their relationship. There is typically an escalation of behavior over time. I wonder if Suzanne ever mentioned anything about it? She seems to have been a private and quiet person. I hope she didn’t keep it to herself, if DV was an issue with Barry.
IMO

I disagree with point number one. LE lacks standing to intervene in the guardianship. And even if they did have standing, they are not going to reveal evidence in what is clearly a criminal investigation, in a civil guardianship proceeding. There is no way they would blow their case wide open in that manner.

Suzanne’s family likely have standing to object, however, they may have bigger fish to fry than to give any evidence that could hinder the current investigation. And I get the sense that they have that evidence.

The statutory language actually states that "Any person may apply for permission to participate in the proceeding," subject to the court's permission. IC § 29-3-5-1 (emphasis supplied). If the General Assembly wanted certain persons excluded, it certainly could have done so. IMHO, it's not a standing question, though the judge can certainly deny a request to take part.

I agree that they would be revealing quite a bit about their case if police took part and, accordingly, are unlikely to do so. It would certainly be unorthodox for police to attempt to take part, but the ability to get a possible suspect to answer questions under oath doesn't occur very often.

I do not know what Suzanne's family knows or doesn't know. They've been remarkably reserved during all this.

Maybe i’m not following, but are you saying that in the 21-23 hours between that texts to her friend and the police arriving for their welfare check, a cement walkway was framed, poured and had time to dry?
That’s how I read it but may have been referring to the stone walkway with the zig zag yellow tape? Or what looked like newly poured cement by back door by the garage. I’m really not sure. But I was hoping LE is watching so I wouldn’t think he would be doing any new concrete work. Unless he wanted to toy with LE. o_O Not a good idea IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe i’m not following, but are you saying that in the 21-23 hours between that texts to her friend and the police arriving for their welfare check, a cement walkway was framed, poured and had time to dry?

Could new cement work have been done after LE executed the first search warrant? Maybe,again in Colorado, a deceased person was moved from one place to another. Maybe BM didn't consider that LE might choose to execute a second search warrant on his home.
Stranger things have happened.
MOO

Very interesting thank you! Dogs are amazing. It makes me wonder what all my dog smells. I cooked a boston butt in the crock pot today with a spice rub and the house smells delicious. My baby Daisy has been acting crazy though. I wonder if it’s overwhelming to her doggie nose or she just wants some. Anyway I think you were saying no that dogs cannot smell through metal if by some chance Suzanne was hidden in a tank of some sort. That sounds awful and I’m sorry if it sounds insensitive. But she was put somewhere and none of the thoughts are good. Always love hearing about these amazing dogs! :D

Hello- IMO they can smell through metal, concrete, dirt, water....

The smell of your cooking is probably making her excited about eating. When I have a dog not feeling well and wants to turn a nose up to food, I cook. It usually gets them interested in eating from the smell alone. The nose, knows :)

Leave phone home, use old non GPS car to Salida on 50 South, looks like zero cameras for at least 20 miles.
Dozens of river access places feet from the shoulder to dump in the Arkansas river. Return, stop off at highway 105 south Salida where the cement pad property is. Dig it up because... , or load up equipment on a trailer noisily for a nonsensical trip to prepare to work in Denver, and go on home to Puma Path, the trip to Salida explained as getting ready for the morning.
Sounds like a good plan. Moo

I’m surprised at how intentionally and aggressively Barry has gone after the real estate deals, including the guardianship. It makes for such a transparently obvious motive. Seems like someone in his position would have more chill about it, or at least wait awhile and not make any big moves for the time being. Does he not realize he is possibly the #1 POI or does he just not care? It’s perplexing.

IMO

The statutory language actually states that "Any person may apply for permission to participate in the proceeding," subject to the court's permission. IC § 29-3-5-1 (emphasis supplied). If the General Assembly wanted certain persons excluded, it certainly could have done so. IMHO, it's not a standing question, though the judge can certainly deny a request to take part.

I agree that they would be revealing quite a bit about their case if police took part and, accordingly, are unlikely to do so. It would certainly be unorthodox for police to attempt to take part, but the ability to get a possible suspect to answer questions under oath doesn't occur very often.

I do not know what Suzanne's family knows or doesn't know. They've been remarkably reserved during all this.
Maybe Tyson should go.
More time to find Suzanne.

Actually, very early during the investigation, much was being said here about the "police tape" where the yellow tape was also tied/secured to a garden loader parked outside along the house. (A flatbed loaded with huge mountain rocks was also visible) .

When I drilled down the photos, my take was this construction caution tape for walkway work that was already in process. I'm recalling it was either a new slate walkway (or repairs) from a porch to the driveway. Also saw work opposite driveway for a pedestrian bridge across a trailing brook/creek. My post is from memory only.

Also, May is perfect timing for this type of work as winter can be very harsh on driveways, sidewalks, etc. The Morphew residence features many custom hardscape aspects.

MOO
Got it. Yes, I’ve been following from day 1 also. I was just curious as to why “buried under the walkway” was being discussed again today. Now that we have a more narrow timeline. Thank you.:)

Absolutely. I find his actions and inactions utterly repulsive. At minimum, he is a bold-faced liar. I strongly suspect that’s not the worst of it :mad:

I sincerely hope someone counsels SM’s family to challenge his guardianship of her assets.

Once SM's family have Attorneys representing them, surely BM's efforts of guardianship, to strip SM's assets, will have 'breaks' put on.
With SM's family now 'opening up' BM is exposed to all.
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member