Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still thinking it was planned and sooner was better for BM. That way he had immediate control of ALL the money, whereas if SM was still alive her money could have been squirrelled away for her girls, just in case her cancer wasn’t truly gone. Especially if she suspected BM was squandering funds and his business was not that successful. Obtaining the guardianship seemed relatively easy for him as it was done in short order. I’ve seen many cases in my life where a patient was given the all clear, but they really weren’t. Cancer reappeared within a year, metastasized and considered stage four. Did Suzanne express any concern about possible recurrence and mention putting money aside for the girls, just in case? Did she confide in her good friend? All IMHO.

Most of us, confide to close friends.
Our thoughts, emotions, future plans would be discussed.
The marriage situation over time, with a controlling partner, would cause problems and close friends would know about such events.
LE would have interviewed SM's friends.
MOO.

IMO, we're lucky here in the United States that dogs can be trained on actual human remains. Other parts of the world - perhaps the UK? It's not legal but the closest they have to human remains is pigs. Interesting, huh?

My dog accidentally busted my nose before in training - my friend wanted my bloody napkin for training later with her HRD dog. lol I remember almost spitting my wine out when a friend at dinner talked about getting her wisdom teeth removed, the other one seriously asked if she would gift them to her. I know this shouldn't make me laugh but it does.

Dogs have great noses.:):):)
My elderly Mum tried to hide the fact she had fallen over, and had a bleeding knee.
When I came over, her little poodle kept nudging her knee (she wore long pants).
My Mum would push him away continually.
I then pulled her pants up, and saw the bandaged knee, stained with blood.
Sampson, the Poodle, solved the case for me.

Leave phone home, use old non GPS car to Salida on 50 South, looks like zero cameras for at least 20 miles.
Dozens of river access places feet from the shoulder to dump in the Arkansas river. Return, stop off at highway 105 south Salida where the cement pad property is. Dig it up because... , or load up equipment on a trailer noisily for a nonsensical trip to prepare to work in Denver, and go on home to Puma Path, the trip to Salida explained as getting ready for the morning.

That's pretty good conjecture. Paints a complete picture of one part of this.

I want to be completely clear on this post:

I 100% feel that LE is on top of this. IMO they know the who, and the why. Obviously not the how, and where she is. Not yet, but they will. I would not be totally surprised if they have enough to charge someone. MOO, they are trying to find SM to seal the deal (so to speak), and eliminate any bargaining chip whatsoever.

It is the 'bargaining chip' that helps these perpetrators.
Let us hope, this cannot be used here.
MOO.

Very interesting. So if a body is burned hours after death no cadavarine smell. When you said sifting and sifting it reminded me of the FBI at the dig site...they sure were looking hard for something small.

They were - but it was still a very small area. If there were ashes down there...whoa. That would be super weird (and hard to identify)...at this time.

And yes, I think that's why burning occurs to certain criminals.

The statutory language actually states that "Any person may apply for permission to participate in the proceeding," subject to the court's permission. IC § 29-3-5-1 (emphasis supplied). If the General Assembly wanted certain persons excluded, it certainly could have done so. IMHO, it's not a standing question, though the judge can certainly deny a request to take part.

I agree that they would be revealing quite a bit about their case if police took part and, accordingly, are unlikely to do so. It would certainly be unorthodox for police to attempt to take part, but the ability to get a possible suspect to answer questions under oath doesn't occur very often.

I do not know what Suzanne's family knows or doesn't know. They've been remarkably reserved during all this.

But neither the county nor the state nor the Feds are a person. (Sheriff’s dept., CBI, FBI).

It’s true that it would be one hell of an opportunity to ask questions of the suspect under oath. But he would take the fifth. I don’t know if the judge would then deny the petition based on him not answering questions of a third party.

We have seen family intervene, however, in civil cases in an effort to get the suspect to have to talk or lose certain rights. Kyron Horman’s step mother is one such case. Jason Young is another.

But LE agencies aren’t people. And even if the sheriff, let’s say, decided to intervene personally, he’d have to do so via proof that BM is shady and/or SM is dead and thus he’d have to reveal his case.

That ain’t gonna’ happen.

I’m confident that SM’s family have evidence relevant to this case. But for the same reasons, and also so they won’t lose contact with SM’s daughters, it’s very likely they won’t intervene.

There has been a case here, in Australia, even AFTER the father eventually took a plea, for Manslaughter in the killing of his wife, the daughter, a young adult, still supports and defends him.
Blood is thick.

That father for a couple of years, lied about his guilt to all family and friends.
Eventually he was nailed, due to CCTV using his car, for disposing his wife's body.

Let us hope, we end up, with similar events here.
MOO.

So even after he disposed of the mom’s body, the kid still doesn’t believe he’s involved?

Slowly starting to move off the fence.

· I think it was premeditated.

· BM must have had at least one accomplice.

· Her remains are far away from Maysville and/or Denver.

· Either BM did it or is responsible for SM’s disappearance and whatever ensued.

No one has been arrested after three months. Tells me either the perp got very lucky or whoever took Suzanne had a plan and made a conscious effort to conceal the evidence trail.

Possible scenario:
IMO it had to have been planned out ahead of time. Coincidentally, the M’s security cameras weren’t working and her family was out of town and perhaps “off the grid” on their camp trip. And sadly, “the perfect spot” to place SM's remains, might have needed some prep work – digging, staging construction equipment etc..

In addition, the bike needed to be planted. My guess is that was done Saturday night/Sunday morning under the cover of darkness.

In the meantime, sometime on Saturday, SM’s electronic written communications with her Indiana friend were mysteriously cut off. I think either Saturday night or early Sunday a.m. someone made some phone calls from Indiana to contacts in CO., expressing their concerns.

By Sunday morning LE could have already been quietly forming a search party and contacting the FBI. I can’t imagine this massive search party was organized after the 5:46p.m. neighbor’s phone call. IMO, it’s just not feasible.

LE had already told the Fire Dept, thanks but no thanks, stay out of it. For that reason alone, LE had to have known something earlier than 5:46 that night.

I think in addition to planting the bike, he also tried to create an evidence diversion for LE to follow. BM told us he was in both Denver and/or Salida that day. That’s why I think SM is not someplace obvious. Probably far in another direction.

Security Cameras, Cell phone data, DNA, Vehicle GPS, Internet searches, FOIA, automatic license plate readers, etc.

Gee, it just keeps getting harder and harder to be a successful criminal these days…

But it sure makes sleuthing more interesting for all of us!:D

ETA - JMO, MOO, etc.

Last edited:
GPS requires satellites to work. A way of looking at a mobile phone is that it has multiple “radio” components cellular, WiFi, GPS, etc. Each one of these communicates with something different, GPS with satellites, cellular with cell towers, WiFi with a router, and so on. This is what I think anyway. Not an expert by any means, and of course MOO.

Brilliant responses to my question -- thanks, everybody! (When my brother want to explain altitude and inclination to me again, I can tell him I'm good)! :)

That's why burn barrels and Fire Camp came up, early on. You have a good point.

Jumping off your post.

The Douglas Garland case in Canada where he murdered two grandparents and a grandchild was about the only case I can recall where the use of burning did manage to reduce the bodies to practically nothing. But a tooth and other evidence was found anyway and he still was nailed for the crimes.

From what I remember DG knew to rig up some sort of propane flame that fed into the burn barrel he used to make it hotter. He also had a number of days to burn his victims and when police finally arrived, the burn barrel was still hot and smoldering which was days after the victims were taken from their home.
A tooth and other evidence was still found even though he managed to destroy most of the evidence.

For the Patrick Frazee case, IMO, I think there was remaining evidence that they could not burn, and I feel he took the remains away somewhere else to dump them after he and his helper burned what they could. Ironically, there was a tooth found in that case too.

Douglas Garland Trial: Crown says smouldering burn barrel found on farm | Calgary Herald

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...in-kathy-liknes-murder-trial-begins-1.3936820

Last edited:
They were - but it was still a very small area. If there were ashes down there...whoa. That would be super weird (and hard to identify)...at this time.

Go back and look closer at the search photos from that day. The entire outside area looks like they dropped bombs there are so many dig spots. moo

Seriously IMO someone needs to step in and represent SM in this guardianship - it’s unfair for this to proceed when even in my state the judge appoints a lawyer to represent the Ward - did this missing person statue even address this ? I’m disgusted ... still
Jmo
Even given the fact that LE hasn't cleared him as a , you would think that would be enough BUT, if no one is bringing that up (and for likely good reason) in a permanent POA hearing? Well then, there ya go.
However, if there a lawyer who would know how the CO statutes would instruct the rules of personal gains while or after the commencement of a crime, if that crime were proven in a court of law? That I'd like to know.
Would he or she still be entitled to his 'gains' due to that crime? I don't think so. Not in NY, that's for sure.
Maybe they're biding their time and regain every dime.

Most of us, confide to close friends.
Our thoughts, emotions, future plans would be discussed.
The marriage situation over time, with a controlling partner, would cause problems and close friends would know about such events.
LE would have interviewed SM's friends.
MOO.
I can't tell you how much I hope you're right that that may be the case with SM. Unfortunately, the statistics show that women keep abuse from friends and family, out of embarrassment and/or repercussions.
Again, hopefully that's the case.

I've thought about the recent brush fire that occurred right before SM's disappearance and those that happened directly afterward. I would think the area burned would be an excellent place to bury a body.
I know that sounds so morbid, but it is what it is.

Dogs have great noses.:):):)
My elderly Mum tried to hide the fact she had fallen over, and had a bleeding knee.
When I came over, her little poodle kept nudging her knee (she wore long pants).
My Mum would push him away continually.
I then pulled her pants up, and saw the bandaged knee, stained with blood.
Sampson, the Poodle, solved the case for me.
Aren't dogs always our heros?
Sampson deserves an extra treat tonight!

Hello – my disclaimer: I’m not an expert or certified but just give my opinion :)

Is there ever really a process that completely removes all traces of a human body (just a general question, not to you specifically)? Dogs are even used for wildfire searches where burned bodies are covered under massive debris. I don’t think there is. **With a well-trained, squared away dog and handler, especially a dog/handler team that have trained with various remains and conditions, I believe it’s very difficult to mask the scent of human remains. Whether it’s tissue, bone fragments, etc. With lime? What a gnarly scene that would be, but I believe the scent would still “leak” and rise and be detectable. Remember, human remains is the target odor, everything else gets eliminated. Metal? Nah but nice try :) The science behind this and how a dog can detect this – I have no idea. It’s truly fascinating. People often get disappointed in the dogs but they of course are not 100% but IMO, they are 90+% on point. Note my * above on training, etc. I know of another dog team that got to experience a blind search on placenta that was placed in buckets over several acres. A friend shared breast implants were part of a HRD training work shop. Interesting.

Now a scenario where a dead body was there, then later removed to a different location. Imagine spraying a pump or two of perfume in the air. The smell will linger but eventually will go away completely. Well in this case, it might be hard to detect human remains after a period of time.

A dream for most HRD handlers is the experience of training at the Body Farm. A dog I know (that sounds weird to say I know) reaction to seeing her first full body cadaver was interesting. She froze and her body language was “Fred.is.right.there.OMGEE”. She recovered and was able to regain her focus. Good girlie. (find fred is the term this dog/handler use to get into work mode)

At the end of the day *I* think it’s difficult to mask the odor of remains from a dog.

IMO
Thank you so much for sharing! Truly fascinating!

Seriously IMO someone needs to step in and represent SM in this guardianship - it’s unfair for this to proceed when even in my state the judge appoints a lawyer to represent the Ward - did this missing person statue even address this ? I’m disgusted ... still
Jmo

I'll raise your disgust to shocked and dismayed!

After posing these questions a couple of different ways, this is my interpretation:

To the best of my understanding, IC makes no provision for a court-appointed lawyer (or guardian ad litem) for a missing person, a missing respondent that cannot be served the petition for guardianship, NOTICE of the hearing, and cannot attend the hearing.

To this, I offer....

It begs to differ how due process is served if the IC provides that the very same respondent that cannot be served the petition for guardianship, the NOTICE of the hearing, appear in court, or be examined, can then be defined by the same IC as incapacitated, and a petition for guardianship granted. :eek:

To the best of my understanding, IC provides for a court-appointed lawyer (or guardian ad litem) to only the following respondents:

1) A respondent that was served the petition for guardianship, NOTICE of the hearing, attends the hearing, objects to the guardianship, and/or has other issues to address before the court.

2) A respondent that was served the petition for guardianship, and NOTICE of the hearing, but cannot safely appear at the hearing.

MOO

GPS amazes me in general. The accuracy achieved with plain ole math makes me wish I had paid better attention in math classes.
^^bbm

Well, according to my brother.... just remember altitude and inclination!

Yet I'm still wondering how if decades ago, there were already so many earth-orbiting satellites capable of serving all geographic locations on the earth's surface, why did we switch direction, and settle for terrestrial cell sites that cannot serve Maysville, Colorado? It's not like the equator moved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia