Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mail Call?
@TKG good point. Checking the mail happen once or twice a week, or daily, or on a sporadic schedule, esp'ly if it requires a drive to the USPS.

OTOH, if a H or W wants to keep couple's or business' financial probs to self, s/he is probably making an effort to be the first to the box, to keep spouse in the dark. Yes, even w many fin. accts and fin. transactions online these days.
When accts or payments become seriously delinquent, registered or certified letters crop up in the box. my2cts.

100% agree. The contents of the mail is a key here. Strange that he would be scattered enough to leave it behind. Either that or it's only "part" of the mail that he brought with him. IMO BM thought the room would be cleaned before JP arrived. How did BM know there was a family emergency prior to 5:46 p.m. on MD? There is no fast talking out of this crap disaster for BM. Thank goodness, I finally feel like justice may in fact be served...

My heart still aches as the girls begin to read how sinister their father is and what a travesty to have taken their mother from them...

Random thoughts/questions:

-With the new timeline of SM going silent at 12:30pm, that leaves an interesting amount of time before the 11:30pm Salida job site noise. Considering the FBI was sitting that dirt, I wonder if SM’s body was burned at home. 6-8 hours of burning would probably be required based on what I’ve looked up online so the time frame fits.

-If a tool was the murder weapon, wouldn’t BM just clean it at his house as opposed to hauling it to a hotel in Broomfield to clean? So it makes me think that whatever was cleaned in that hotel room was used to dispose of the body away from the M’s house. (Which also dispels my burning theory).

-The hotel security footage will be so key.

-Why would BM get a hotel room that Saturday but then tell everyone he was at his house and left at 5am Sunday? Why not just get the hotel room on Sunday?

I don't think BM would have burned SM at the house.
Fires in Colorado get noticed, and reported.
He had at least one neighbor close by who could have noticed and called it in.

From the first we heard hints of BM having rented a hotel room, I envisioned him using it as a safe place to clean/destroy trace evidence.

I think he knew that LE's first order of business after SM was reported missing would be to conduct a thorough search the home. He may not have wanted to shower or wash anything there at the residence because of the high likelihood of trace evidence being found.

I think he got the hotel room on Saturday because he couldn't control the timeline as far as when someone else first sounded the alarm about not being able to get hold of her. Her friend was texting her and not getting a response. Her friend could have conceivably sounded the alarm bells on Saturday night.

He needed to get out of dodge as soon as possible on Saturday. He wanted to be as far away as fast as possible.

This way, if someone had reported her missing on Saturday night, he could trot out a "Saturday bike ride" narrative instead of a Sunday bike ride, and he'd still be hours away in Broomfield.

The lies are going to bury him.

JMO.

Some of my questions:

If BM was truly at the hotel Saturday, who was running equipment at the searched job site Saturday night?

How did Barry know there was a family emergency earlier than 5pm?

Why did he rush his employees to Broomfield but then have no more contact with them for 2 days? At least to tell them to go back home? Wouldnt he want them in Salida to help search?

Why would Barry send employees into a room where he had just done suspicious things? Were they all suppose to share a room? Did Barry think it would be cleaned before they arrived?
I don't think he told him he had a family emergency when he first called. He called to ask him to work but apparently when he got there BM had left due to a family emergency. At least that's how I understood it.

I don't know if there was more than one employee or if they were supposed to share a room. I thought only one was interviewed but I could be wrong. Maybe that's why it's so confusing to me. I got the impression that BM called at the last minute to ask him to come to work. The employee said he saw him on Saturday but didn't say where. If they discussed the wall and the job that needed to be done then why did Barry have to call him again on Sunday? Was he originally going to start on Monday? Idk.

And why did the PE guys seem so sure that Suzanne's communication with her friend ended at 2100 hours, and now it's been clarified that it was 2:30? It seems to be a big difference in time. Wouldn't the friend have confirmed this after the first show when they said the conversation lasted from mid-afternoon to mid- evening?

Some of us have a 'buff' figure to keep up.
That. and trips to the gym.
Not speaking about myself, btw.
Cutting out carbs and all sugar is hard enough.
well i mean the man does throw full size elk across his yard from time to time. im sure he could have taken a rest day to figure out his own story lol

Someone suggested that JP might be confusing 'alibi' and 'motive' when he's talking about the suspicious mail he found in the room.

I think it's equally likely that JP can't tell the difference between the smell of 'chlorine' and the smell of a peroxide-based industrial cleaner applied extra-generously because of COVID.

Based solely on what we know now, I'm skeptical that there was any blood or bloody cleanup involved in SM's death.

We don't know what JP's ability to differentiate the smells of different cleaning materials might be. He's an outdoors working type, and may have come across myriad kinds of chemicals. You're right that it's possible he wasn't able to discern the difference. A hotel room "reeking" of a chlorine/bleach smell hours after someone has left is to me a red flag that something did happen in that hotel room.
For me, the argument that the residual smell was caused by cleaning agents used by hotel staff doesn't hold a lot of weight. Why would they clean the room vigorously but still leave used wet towels on the floor?
If the reports are true of the smell being overpowering strong, that is down to the chemicals used by BM in his hotel rooms.
Having conducted surgical operations on live patients and autopsies on the deceased, I can say that the blood loss from the latter during incision is minimal in comparison. It depends on a number of factors, including how long someone has been dead.

Someone suggested that JP might be confusing 'alibi' and 'motive' when he's talking about the suspicious mail he found in the room.

I think it's equally likely that JP can't tell the difference between the smell of 'chlorine' and the smell of a peroxide-based industrial cleaner applied extra-generously because of COVID.

Based solely on what we know now, I'm skeptical that there was any blood or bloody cleanup involved in SM's death

I agree completely.
You wal in smelling overwhelming cleaner or something. No boss there like you assumed due to family emergency. You chalk up the towels and the smell to quickly leaving for emergency.

He knew by that night or next day about Suzanne if he lived in Salida and knew them. He then was sitting there with no word from his boss ( friend?) and started thinking something was off. Waited for instruction and when none came, took off. This is what I imagine anyway.

It wasn’t peroxide. Bleach probably. Just due to smell alone.

I don’t think any cleanup happened there.

Work boots. This is what I think he could of been bleaching. And outside of wallet phone etc ( especially if he had to get rid of her items that she had on her person.

Men are particular about work boots. Steel toed boots are pricey and comfort means you have to wear them for a bit. It would look very peculiar for Barry to have a brand new pair on. I also do not know many landscapers that keep an extra pair with them just Incase.

Work boots, fingernails, his skin and hair all would need to be cleaned. Clothes don’t matter because he could get rid of whoever he needed too If he cleaned the bed of his truck with bleach he would also reek for a bit.
I say it’s a bloodless death anyway. If it was a murder Strangulation or poison. You would just want to get off any evidence of you being somewhere you said you weren’t ( dirt, pollen, skin under fingernails etc). God forbid he took her to a dump around Denver, paid cash etc.

Maybe she had a head injury and walked far away and perished. I don’t know but I know that if I loved someone I would yell loudly until they were found.

We don't know what JP's ability to differentiate the smells of different cleaning materials might be. He's an outdoors working type, and may have come across myriad kinds of chemicals. You're right that it's possible he wasn't able to discern the difference. A hotel room "reeking" of a chlorine/bleach smell hours after someone has left is to me a red flag that something did happen in that hotel room.
For me, the argument that the residual smell was caused by cleaning agents used by hotel staff doesn't hold a lot of weight. Why would they clean the room vigorously but still leave used wet towels on the floor?
If the reports are true of the smell being overpowering strong, that is down to the chemicals used by BM in his hotel rooms.
Having conducted surgical operations on live patients and autopsies on the deceased, I can say that the blood loss from the latter during incision is minimal in comparison. It depends on a number of factors, including how long someone has been dead.
i wish there was like a chalk board where we could have all the confirmed facts posted, everythings moving so fast today lol. its confirmed the pool was closed so the smell makes no logical sense and also the hotel does not have jacuzzi tubs

I’m as over the chlorine smell as I’m over the fleshy elk antlers. Was BM at the hotel on Saturday? Or did he check in on Sunday? When did he call the worker to ask him to come? Were there other workers up there? Was this guy a last minute addition, hence the last minute call? Barry had said his guys were coming in Sunday night, and this guy actually did show up Sunday night. I think maybe Barry headed up early Sunday, showered the crap out of himself after what he had done, and waited around for someone to sound the alarm.
Didn’t the hotel say they gave video from 5/9 on? IMO he was there Saturday

Letter Found Where?
Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims | FOX21 News Colorado
Jeffrey Puckett told FOX21 News he arrived at the motel on May 10 and stayed in a room Barry had purchased for him. Puckett described noticing a strong smell of chlorine in the air.
Puckett also said he found a letter, addressed to Barry, in the trash inside the room. He said it involved property insurance and that he later turned it over to investigators.
@MassGuy bbm sbm Thx for your post.
Hmmm. Found in trash. Does that make it more or less significant? Still depends on what it is.
--- Overdue, unpaid prop ins invoice?
--- Cancellation of prop ins for non-payment?
--- Quote for premium for new coverage, higher lower coverage? Same or different carrier?
--- Gen solicitation?
--- Something else altogether?

Any other mail w it?

Last edited:
i wish there was like a chalk board where we could have all the confirmed facts posted, everythings moving so fast today lol. its confirmed the pool was closed so the smell makes no logical sense and also the hotel does not have jacuzzi tubs
chalk board would be good .... so we can erase 'facts' that contradict each other .... lol

Potential witnesses giving statements to the press 3+ months into an investigation is LE's worst nightmare...IMO

The timeline in this case is the real missing link, especially if the spouse of the missing person is in Denver late Saturday night when the missing person is communicating with a friend...IMO

Plenty of twists and turns and stories. Tapping my fingers here on the desk waiting patiently for a whopper of a twist.

It is absolutely wonderful that folks are now speaking out and becoming more public. In the back of my mind it is exactly what LE would like.

I am thinking we may witness a Lauren Giddings type of moment.

I’m as over the chlorine smell as I’m over the fleshy elk antlers. Was BM at the hotel on Saturday? Or did he check in on Sunday? When did he call the worker to ask him to come? Were there other workers up there? Was this guy a last minute addition, hence the last minute call? Barry had said his guys were coming in Sunday night, and this guy actually did show up Sunday night. I think maybe Barry headed up early Sunday, showered the crap out of himself after what he had done, and waited around for someone to sound the alarm.
I’d like to know if he showed up late Saturday night and had someone else with him. I’m sure LE know the answer to that one :)

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims | FOX21 News Colorado

Jeffrey Puckett told FOX21 News he arrived at the motel on May 10 and stayed in a room Barry had purchased for him. Puckett described noticing a strong smell of chlorine in the air.

“I thought the pool might have been open, but it wasn’t,” Puckett said.

The motel confirmed the pool is closed due to COVID-19 restrictions. A manager also said they do not use chlorine to clean their rooms, only Peroxide multi-surface cleaner.

Puckett also said he found a letter, addressed to Barry, in the trash inside the room. He said it involved property insurance and that he later turned it over to investigators.

“My first thought was, ‘alibi’,” Puckett said. “When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.”

Puckett said he didn’t know the day Barry arrived in Broomfield and couldn’t be sure of the day he left, but did know the reason – a family emergency.

Puckett mentioned he saw Barry in person on Saturday, May 9, and described the work he’d been hired to do, a project involving fixing a wall. But, he said, Barry didn’t leave him to tools he needed.
So DM got it wrong, JP did not say Barry checked into the hotel on May 9th. That's what I thought, it made no sense.

Potential witnesses giving statements to the press 3+ months into an investigation is LE's worst nightmare...IMO

The timeline in this case is the real missing link, especially if the spouse of the missing person is in Denver late Saturday night when the missing person is communicating with a friend...IMO

Previously posted by PE that last communication to friend via text was actually at 12:30 pm in Saturday afternoon, not Saturday night.

I am so confused. Why would JP immediately jump to "alibi" when he didn't know what the family emergency was.

Also, was his conversation with BM in Denver on Saturday? I'm assuming that it was since he said that Barry didn't leave any tools for him to perform the work.
Think of it this way, almost four months into Suzanne's disappearance. Hindsight is going to be the perspective people speak from. It colors their dialogue and thoughts when speaking in the here and now, MOO.

Going thru Trash Can?
.... Who the heck goes through the trashcan ....? I'm sure JP'll say he just 'happened' to notice something and just 'happened' to take it out to read. From a hotel trash can....
Jodi Arias, for one, even in LE interrogation room while being vid recorded.
Many W/S threads on her.
Murder of Travis Alexander - Wikipedia

Eta: I wonder if JP (name?) stood on his head or sang songs in hotel room.;):D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member