Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot think of a single reason, someone pretending to be SM, would go on her profile and send friend requests to folks in Indiana, that her brother went to school with. And... to do this a good 10-12 hours after her chat with her friend just abruptly ended, without any explanation.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be done?
I wonder if they were “Friend Requests”or “People You May Know” popups? Maybe @Hoosierfan72 could clarify this? If a friend request, BM may have sent them from SM’s page so he could say, “See, SM was fine Saturday night.” If BM was on SM’s page on his phone, then the People You May Know pop up would go out, (as I understand it), to BM’s friends from his contacts.

I think it’s interesting AM said LE has a lot more info about the hotel and timeline.
I mean, there’s really no way they cannot. Surveillance video, vehicle GPS, and cell phone location is a lot to overcome.

His phone had to be on for certain points, and when he was at certain places will be telling, even if there are gaps (which I expect).

Yes! He loved the fact that she idolized him. It further boosted his oversized ego.
My take on Barry:
-Mama’s Boy
-Doted on by Mom and sisters - no self confidence problem here
-High School jock, more adoring fans, ego is growing
-Drafted by MLB, can he even get his head through the door?
-Life change! MLB let him go! Huge disappointment! Needs ego rebooted.
-Suzanne is always there, holding up his pedestal all by herself.
-Marriage and kids. Still nursing that bruised ego. If only..... But he plugs away, fairly successful. Then he can’t control that temper. It lowers his status in IN. Let’s move to CO for a fresh start.
-Hit 50, mid-life crisis? Wife is sick, he wants to socialize and have fun, and he is being adored again by the young people he has met in Salida. He is a FF! He is fit and attractive. Look at me! I’ve reinvented myself. I’m back on top!
-Covid 19, stuck in the house. Suzanne doesn’t want to do anything. She’s afraid of the Corona virus. Nothing going on. My ego isn’t being fed. Suzanne is hinting about going back to IN. I caught her talking to that friend again. She is a bad influence on Suzanne. I don’t want to go back to IN. There’s nothing for me there. No adoring fans, no new exciting life. This is all driving me crazy.....

MOO. Hypothetical theory by untrained observer of the human condition.
And, didn't he score having a physically beautiful wife ( whose body was ravaged and tested by cancer treatments ), who was strong enough, after all that, to prevail and look almost as young as his two beautiful daughters?
MOO.

All very good points. Thank you for your detailed insight. When looking at cases like SM, I have a tendency to follow along with what small clues LE’s Investigation leads to sling the way. Right now, BM is their primary focus, for good reason, after 4 months of CCSO, CBI & FBI Investigations.

That said, 4 females a day in the U.S. are murdered by an intimate partner. DV is reaching epidemic proportions.

A lot of what we have discussed on WS will end up as actually factual regarding this case when it goes to trial. I’ll eat Barry’s shorts if I’m wrong! Lol

All MOO, MOO
I hasten to add - No disrespect was intended for the lie detection abilities of anyone posting on WS.

There's a study - I think it's still underway - that has tested over 12,000 people found some individuals (N=49 as of 10 years ago, when I read results) who seem to notice more - and more subtle - verbal and non-verbal cues than the rest of us do. They also read these cues differently than we do. Little else is known how they do it, but these lie detection "wizards" are able to tell when someone is lying over 80% of the time. For all I know, this thread may be overpopulated with wizards.

I only know for sure that I'm no wizard of any kind, and so I tend to reserve judgment till all the evidence is in.

<modsnip>

1. John Schmitz says Barry displayed a wide range of emotions, from anger to crying, the day he saw him on the job site they were working on in Indiana. He showed up 3 days early for the job, and he was throwing a hissy fit.

2. They have 300 volunteers so far.

3. Andy doesn't care about money, but appreciates the Go Fund Me. Texas Eqquasearch has been
    asked to come help.

4. Andy wanted to see where the bike was found immediately, the day he landed in Colorado.

5. The house was locked down for 7 days, and they would not let anyone near it.

6. In the next few days, Lauren Scharf will do a new interview with one of Barry's employees.
    (Unknown who it will be.)

7. After they moved to Colorado, the land-line was disconnected all of a sudden. Cell coverage was
    spotty, as was Wifi. When Andy could get through and leave a message, he wouldn't hear back
    for days. Barry is "throwing rocks" at the Moorman's for not communicating, but that is not the
    truth. Barry never called back and it's "bull malarkey" that the Moorman's were not in touch.

8. Dogs were used in the valley and around the house. They did not pick up Suzanne's scent, or
    anyone's scent, for that matter.

9. Andy has second hand information that a divorce was about to happen.

10. Suzanne was supposed to go to her best friend's son's wedding, but did not get to attend bc of
    Covid.

11. Communication ceased around 2:30 pm, after they had been chatting about wedding stuff
    (tuxes, flowers, etc). Later that night, "Suzanne" friended a bunch of people on Facebook. She
    friended a bunch of people back in Indiana. Andy believes someone else was manipulating her
    Facebook that evening (around midnight).

12. Barry told Andy he got back to Maysfield around 6:30 or 7. Then later, he said he got back at
    9pm. These inconsistencies trouble him.

13. Barry told Andy he had a fireman's meeting, but Andy could never confirm that.

14. Barry drives an F250. M drives Suzanne's older Land Rover. Suzanne had a new Land
    Rover. The 2 cars Land Rover's were there, so it was weird Barry didn't ask the neighbor if
    Suzanne's car was there. He only asked about the bike.

15. His story changed about going to build a wall in Denver. Barry did not take his tools with him.

16. Suzanne's phone last pinged at the house (pertaining to LE.) It is missing. She always rode
    with when she did ride her bike.

17. No evidence of a struggle.

18. Barry told Andy he'd given 25 hours of testimony. He refused the lie detector on day 4.

19. He cannot sell the house for 7 years, or until Suzanne is found or found deceased.

20. Barry and Macy are living in a condo in Pueblo.

21. Suzanne had recently received an inheritance. (500,000 USD). She invested that into the
    Colorado home.

22. Barry is driven by work and money (per Andy).

23. Barry used to brow-beat Suzanne. He was anti-drug. He didn't allow Suzanne to try marijuana
    when she was sick with cancer, and berated her for taking anti-depressants when she had a
    mental episode a few years back. She suffered from deaths in her family and illness, and Barry
    brow- beated her over needing or wanting medication for that.

24. Barry has a defense lawyer, and so do the girls.

25. Andy thinks one of the girls witnessed marital strife, and he is very worried for her well-being.
About SM’S cell phone... is this the first definitive statement that the phone has never been found? Also, a phone would ping off a nearby tower, right? Would they know it pinged inside a home? Additionally, would the phone ping off the same tower where her nearby bike was found?

That would not trigger a friend request being sent. If someone other than Suzanne clicked on her message icon late in the evening, that would be recorded in FB's activity log.

But sending a friend request would alert far more than just FB/one's own self (we can check our activity logs on FB).
Well, if he got into her FB account I can't imagine him not doing a little snooping. What about all the friend suggestions people got who were friends with Barry? He may have been both impersonating her and looking through her communications with other people. Making friend requests seems like it would draw too much attention and make it look suspicious. I don't know what he was trying to do, but maybe "liking" comments could have generated the friend suggestions.

IMO

Password recovery via two-factor authentication usually relies upon a phone. So if you forget your 14 character password that includes capital letters, numbers, and symbols, all you need to do is enter your phone number instead (that you give to people you don't know all the time). If a person wanted to change the password for someone else and he had access to her phone, this would be the likely method. IMO

Generally with 2FA you can't just give your phone number for PW recovery -- you must also be in possession of the phone, which adds a significant extra layer of protection.

So if it was, say, BM looking to change an SM password with her phone in hand, he could do so -- but your average stranger could not. That PW change would also be recorded, and notification sent, so there is a digital trail. I'd expect that LE would be looking into all of this.

Moving the high school daughter to Pueblo right now makes me very upset. This is a terrible time for her to be uprooted from friends and sports and school. I hope AM is wrong about that, but he specifically said Pueblo.
However, the directions he gives point to Poncha Springs and not Pueblo. I think it was an honest mistake, and Poncha Springs makes the most sense.

I hasten to add - No disrespect was intended for the lie detection abilities of anyone posting on WS.

There's a study - I think it's still underway - that has tested over 12,000 people found some individuals (N=49 as of 10 years ago, when I read results) who seem to notice more - and more subtle - verbal and non-verbal cues than the rest of us do. They also read these cues differently than we do. Little else is known how they do it, but these lie detection "wizards" are able to tell when someone is lying over 80% of the time. For all I know, this thread may be overpopulated with wizards.

I only know for sure that I'm no wizard of any kind, and so I tend to reserve judgment till all the evidence is in.
Do you mean my mother?

Do you know what SM does online?
I've not seen it confirmed what SM does or doesn't do online, or the hours she keeps! ;)
No, I don't, but her friends and family seem to think they do, since they were the ones who said what her profile was doing was "out of character".
Attempting to impersonate someone online, by doing something online that is considered "out of character" by all those known to the person, is a pretty incredibly stupid thing to do.

jmo

One thing that makes me nervous is that AM asked LE if there was any evidence of a struggle in the house and they said, “no.” This is exactly why this morning I started worrying that they don’t have physical evidence.
You can have physical evidence with there being a struggle, if someone does a soft kill strangulation, smothering, there could be murder and it just look like a fight or struggle took place.
I just pray there was some physical evidence blood, hair or fibers that were somewhere they should not have been. Or just say some missing bedding (aka Watts case)
Again just my opinion but the first search warrant was executed and when what ever was recovered and tested would have been about the same amount of time that they would have needed to get the second warrant.
I know how you feel though I pray that LE has been able to get some physical evidence from their home.
Maybe another reason BM wanted to move into a condo, wonder if he knows any ladies who live in the condo complex.

Why would he rent or buy a condo in Poncha Springs when he has a million dollar home in Salida?<modsnip>

MOO

I don't think BM moved because he wanted to -- that's his palace. However, I can't imagine his minor child wanting to be in that house without her mother. Not knowing where or what happened to my mom, I couldn't. I wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sensing that the dam is beginning to burst.MOO
While these details are all (or mostly, I assume) new to the public, we need to keep in mind most if not all of this stuff, the CCSO already knew. I do hope it serves to empower others to come forward though. Especially if they have info that may help this investigation.

One thing that makes me nervous is that AM asked LE if there was any evidence of a struggle in the house and they said, “no.” This is exactly why this morning I started worrying that they don’t have physical evidence.
Strangulation? I wonder if he had a stun gun. Don't know why but that has popped into my head a few times.

Probably to get away from the gossip and the media. He also probably didn't want any reminders of what happened in that house. Distancing himself makes it easier to move on. IMO
I agree but under that logic he should want to stay in the house since she is "missing" where would she find him and the girls when she returns (insert sarcasm ).
And since her bike was wrecked and a animal was nearby that would also not be a reason to not want to be in the house. But I am sure there are things in that house that only he can see when he is in there.

I mean, there’s really no way they cannot. Surveillance video, vehicle GPS, and cell phone location is a lot to overcome.

His phone had to be on for certain points, and when he was at certain places will be telling, even if there are gaps (which I expect).
Yes, the employees may be able to offer some insight as to where he was or what he was doing during some of those gaps. Any communication they had with him that day, or anything they noticed would be helpful. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader