Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there - sorry for the delay on this (I had stepped away from WS to spend some time with the kids). Here's what I have (hope it's worth the wait, lol):

So, my DW has finally given me the green light to share this (I haven't up to this point because she asked me not to):

She actually went to school in Indiana with both BM and SM. She was closer to BM, but knew them both.

So here's something strange that she actually called into the tipline a few months ago: she was FB friends with BM, but not SM. A number of her classmates were also FB friends with BM and not SM. As they were discussing this after the disappearance, many of them noticed the same thing. On the weekend that SM went missing, many of them had her pop up on their FB feed as "People You May Know" or "Friend Suggestions". My DW remembered it because she almost sent SM a message to the effect of "you never age", but didn't. She said she doesn't remember SM ever popping up on her FB under either of those categories before.... but that weekend, she kept popping up time and time again (and her friends said the same thing). She couldn't remember the exact timing of the suggestions popping up, but it was definitely Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, with the information that has come out re: the suspicious social media activity after SM's interrupted conversation with her friend - I think this all fits, JMO, MOO. I did a little research on the PYMK algorithms for FB, and they seem to be a bit of a mystery - but those suggestions are definitely tied to some kind of activity.... at first I thought it might have meant SMs phone (or other electronic device that she was logged into FB) might be close-by in Indiana, but I think that's unlikely - there was probably something else going on that triggered these suggestions. Again, JMO, MOO.
Very interesting @Hoosierfan72. Maybe someone tried to log onto her Facebook page and in order to get access had the password sent to her mail. When they re signed on... it caused the algorithm to send a notification to acquaintances.

While I’m waiting, I surfed and read. The wall is really bugging me. It does seem that the wall would require a work order and permits. Depending on the scope, there might be engineering diagrams/plans, change work orders. If the wall was on the interstate, would it require traffic management, notifications to local LE? Did the wall re-build happen? If Barry is capable of accomplishing complicated real estate transactions, did he continue to conduct business? I would think that his company would still have to honor their contracts. <modsnip>
What wall? I must have missed this tidbit.

Hey there - sorry for the delay on this (I had stepped away from WS to spend some time with the kids). Here's what I have (hope it's worth the wait, lol):

So, my DW has finally given me the green light to share this (I haven't up to this point because she asked me not to):

She actually went to school in Indiana with both BM and SM. She was closer to BM, but knew them both.

So here's something strange that she actually called into the tipline a few months ago: she was FB friends with BM, but not SM. A number of her classmates were also FB friends with BM and not SM. As they were discussing this after the disappearance, many of them noticed the same thing. On the weekend that SM went missing, many of them had her pop up on their FB feed as "People You May Know" or "Friend Suggestions". My DW remembered it because she almost sent SM a message to the effect of "you never age", but didn't. She said she doesn't remember SM ever popping up on her FB under either of those categories before.... but that weekend, she kept popping up time and time again (and her friends said the same thing). She couldn't remember the exact timing of the suggestions popping up, but it was definitely Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, with the information that has come out re: the suspicious social media activity after SM's interrupted conversation with her friend - I think this all fits, JMO, MOO. I did a little research on the PYMK algorithms for FB, and they seem to be a bit of a mystery - but those suggestions are definitely tied to some kind of activity.... at first I thought it might have meant SMs phone (or other electronic device that she was logged into FB) might be close-by in Indiana, but I think that's unlikely - there was probably something else going on that triggered these suggestions. Again, JMO, MOO.
Thank you for sharing! Very interesting.

Yes it was.
That's what I thought. In my head, I seized on BM was in a hurry to get back home after setting up the job, because he told Suzanne he would be back home to go to that appointment with her.

In other words he would miss Mother's Day, but be home for her appointment.

But after hearing Andy, I guess "local area" could be where the job was.

Last edited:
does that mean she was suddenly appearing to be "active" again, after not being active for a while, on mother's day weekend? which would likely, and i don't know for sure how the algorithms work, mean she was "active" that weekend?
I don't know - I'm hoping that maybe we have some expertise here on the forum that might be able to shed some light on it. The common denominator was they were all FB friends with BM, so that has to figure into it somehow, IMO.

does that mean she was suddenly appearing to be "active" again, after not being active for a while, on mother's day weekend? which would likely, and i don't know for sure how the algorithms work, mean she was "active" that weekend?

Sounds to me like it may mean Barry May have logged into her account with his phone or laptop? So the algorithm is making a connection between Barry’s friends and Suzanne, because FB is set up via email addresses which are linked to IP addresses?

Or am I a fool?

I thought Andy said he put a work crew on that job so he (BM) could be at home working? I'll see if I can find the video, standby.
Agree. The Salida project was probably going to need BM that week for the pier work. (I have a feeling BM did this work on Saturday night when equipment noise heard). MOO

Thanks for the inside scoop! If I may be so bold as to inquire of your DW:

Was BM a good student?

Was he a heartthrob in school or a putz?

Thank you!

If they were FB friends of BM but not SM, it seems like the situation (recommendation of friending SM, people you may know) would indicate activity on his own account, which might pull up his nearest contacts, meaning his wife. (and they (your wife and real life friends) receive notices because they are friends of his)
When I post in a certain wildflower group, for example, I get suggestions to friend people in the group as individuals, not just as a participant of the group itself. I wonder if he has some group that he is part of and was posting with members of that group over the weekend.

It might even happen that way in messenger, which he thought to be private. That is, his friends might get suggestions for his own nearest friends when he is active, if that makes sense.

All I can contribute is that when I open FB on my tablet, I get friend suggestions related to whom I am communicating with. On the PC I don't, because I have FB purity installed which cuts out all that baloney.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Hoosierfan72 , do you remember if this FB activity was after Suzanne was declared missing? I wonder if it could have been a result of sleuthers investigating the family's FB accounts after hearing about this story through the media. I'm sure the searching activity would have bumped Suzanne up as a person who friends in common might be interested in, according to FB.

I know when I search people they pop up a lot or if I recently become friends with someone their friends pop up or if we join the same group new people will pop up. Is it possible that she recently looked at these peoples profile? Did these people recently look at her profile? Is there a new Facebook group you all joined? Did she recently add a new friend?

If they were FB friends of BM but not SM, it seems like the situation (recommendation of friending SM, people you may know) would indicate activity on his own account, which might pull up his nearest contacts, meaning his wife. (and they receive notices because they are friends of his)
When I post in a certain wildflower group, for example, I get suggestions to friend people in the group as individuals, not just as a participant of the group itself. I wonder if he has some group that he is part of and was posting with members of that group over the weekend.

That went over my head. Can you explain it in a different way?

I am familiar with the way that works, and how the algorithm appears. Yes, if someone were looking at you/Suzanne/Barry, it would come up as suggestion. The only thing is, with FB, any friends in common causes it to make those suggestions. And with the increased FB searches into Suzanne once the news hit, she would pop up. However, if the suggestion came up before she was reported missing, that would be huge. And FB isn’t sharing their algorithm with anybody. I’ve learned to let it go, when I’m snooping on somebody and I’m sure I’m popping up in their suggestions.
The suggestions were definitely happening prior to news of her disappearance. I don't believe it would have been a result of people snooping SM's FB page because of that. JMO.

Thanks, @Hoosierfan72 , do you remember if this FB activity was after Suzanne was declared missing? I wonder if it could have been a result of sleuthers investigating the family's FB accounts after hearing about this story through the media. I'm sure the searching activity would have bumped Suzanne up as a person who friends in common might be interested in, according to FB.

Oh gosh. That seems like a such a simple explanation! Makes sense.

So it wasn't a friend request, but a friend suggestion. Someone more tech savvy than I should experiment to find out what activity will trigger that.

I don't know a lot about FB but if, say, BM was added as a friend to SM's FB, assuming he wasn't already or SM had deleted him, might his friends then get that suggestion of knowing her?

JMO, MOO.
RSBM

Thanks so much for sharing...it definitely means something, just not sure what yet. I have had similar occurrences, that should have made sense, but didn't, it is something in the algorithms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston