Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really curious, and maybe one of our verified lawyers can chime in here (@gitana1 @Alethea @Chomsky ) but...

What kind of evidence does an investigation require, to persuade a judge to sign off on a warrant that requires the destruction of personal property, as in tearing up a newly laid concrete patio, or a new in-ground pool (totally speculating here)?

I mean, this isn't "we need to poke around in the shed". This is, "we need to rip up this $40K home improvement you just had done".
Seems like that would require some hefty evidence, yes?
Perhaps this is the homeowner cooperating, ie giving permission so no warrant needed.

Even so, police wouldn't invest this kind of resources on a vague tip, they'd want strong leads.

Another note, wouldn't this be patio or path concrete, rather than a deep foundation? In that case there would be a burial and thin concrete over top, could be done by one person.

Could be a lot of things.

Timeline alluded to a job site, they asked the owner if they could run GPR concrete scanning, results indicated positive, judge signs off.
They would have checked everywhere he’s been, especially job sites.

I'm waiting for an announcement or some reporting by a reliable reporter on the ground in Salida, which is still at least an hour away from happening due to driving time for reporters. KKTV Colorado Springs, who has a reporter on the way at this moment, writes:
"On Friday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the FBI announced they are searching a home on the east side of Salida.
In a media statement, they said "The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the disappearance of Ms. Morphew. No details about the search are being released at this time."
I note that it says: "searching a HOME".
MISSING: FBI and CBI searching home in Salida in connection to missing Colorado woman

Could easily be done without an accomplice, depending on what kind of job it was there is usually different kinds of damp proof, weather proofing layers that go down first, thick plastic sheeting etc before the concrete is poured on top, he could have easily hid the body underneath this before calling in a concrete truck to come and pump concrete and they would never know.

Or use a small mixer oneself. MOO.

Maybe. If it's GPS, they may have been systematically reviewing stops and notice the telltale signs of fresh concrete. What LE wouldn't be immediately suspicious of that?

If it's GPS, it would also be time-stamped, and now that they're working with a May 8-12 frame, they probably first went to each place that phone or car GPS (or both) stopped, made notes, got a warrant and here we are.

In the case of young murdered woman near San Luis Obispo, CA, the perp actually left her watch on her wrist when he buried her in a new planter, under concrete, in his parents' backyard. (Who puts concrete at the bottom of a planter??) That family has evaded having it dug up for years now, but it looks like LE is about to get a new warrant for that one.

Of course, whoever put there is unlikely to have done so during regular working hours - so once the GPS was obtained

Most likely suffocation then. I wouldn't be surprised if that was COD in this case, and it will be difficult to tell. Strangulation, of course, easier to tell. Signs of struggle if any should still be visible. They may have to use special drills and tools - we've agreed there's a cloud of dust coming up from the site in some pictures right?

Yikes. I have put concrete in the bottoms of planters because I live in a windy area. After reading about these cases, I sure think I will stop doing it. Else face some raised eyebrows and side eye from my neighbors.

Perhaps this is the homeowner cooperating, ie giving permission so no warrant needed.

Even so, police wouldn't invest this kind of resources on a vague tip, they'd want strong leads.

Another note, wouldn't this be patio or path concrete, rather than a deep foundation? In that case there would be a burial and thin concrete over top, could be done by one person.
If i thought a worker left a person behind id help them break that concrete. I wouldnt sit and wait for a warrant

Reward. Safe Return, Arrest, or Conviction?
Awaiting further developments re LE on scene at US 50 & 220, I noticed flyer on FB Find SM page.

"Police and family are seeking any information that leads to her safe return, no questions asked, and offer a $200,000 reward." Could be interp'ed as suggesting LE is participating in reward offer? Standing alone, maybe.
AFAIK, $100,000 is/was offered by BM, the balance by a friend, & zero by LE, FBI, CrimeStoppers, etc.
Dunno if it matters who offered reward.
Just checked language in FBI reward announcement in different case:

"... FBI offering $10,000 for information leading to the arrest, prosecution, and conviction of ..." perp name in connection w description of federal crime.
On a municipal (non SM-related) site, some other wording re vandalizing vehicles in parking lot: "$200 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible."}

Checking a couple CrimeStoppers sites* I did not find any requests re MS's disappearance

Anyone claiming reward on conviction would likely have a mucccch longgggger wait than reward for safe return. Quite a variation in specifically what a reward is for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Crime Stoppers USA 1-800-222-TIPS – CSUSA.org has listing of locals --->
https://www.crimestoppersusa.org/wp...SA-2019-Member-Programs-as-of-6.20.2019-1.pdf --->
Search for CHAFFEE COUNTY CRIME STOPPERS is routed to Pueblo Crime Stoppers
Even tho designated as Pueblo, Pueblo Crime Stoppers

But tipline # for Pueblo CrimeStoppers is different from tipline # on flyer.
And Chaffee County Sherifff' http://chaffeesheriff.org/operations/crime-stoppers/ --->
links
to www.chaffeecountycrimestoppers.org, but gave 404 or 'no result' message.

Does anyone really think the timeline works here? Just not seeing anyone stupid enough to do this AFTER Mother’s Day. I might be able to get behind a May 8 or May 9 date, but there’s a lot of empty space in the West to hid a body. Why would anybody put it in a place that could only be associated with him?
This is hypothetical because no one is charged. IMO she was gone/deceased prior to Mother’s Day. The cameras on the house weren’t operating that entire weekend. These men who kill their wives aren’t seasoned criminals. They are usually arrogant. They honestly think they can say anything and people will believe them. They don’t think they will get caught. If BM did this he probably figured it was the perfect spot. She’d never be found and it was convenient for him to do so. I mean like Watts, these guys think they can just dispose of their wives and go on like nothing happened? That’s pretty arrogant. I just don’t think many of these people are that smart. Or if someone wanted to frame him they’d make it look like he did it. That’s a stretch though.

If they find something and if it is a job site could it be a frame?

Sure. In that case, the perp has to be someone who knew both of them, hated both them, and wanted to frame one of them.

It has to be someone who followed what was going on at that work site closely enough to know how and when to use it as a dumping site.

I am guessing this is why LE wanted people to preserve their videos. The vehicle had to go from near the Morphew's to about 17 miles away, through Salida and probably in view of business cams. The suspect has to be local to know that victim's husband worked there. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. Coworker? A mere stalker wouldn't target both of them in this way. IMO.

Property being searched is residential; owner cooperating and not connected to Suzanne's disappearance (other than the fact LE is searching their property for her I suppose--maybe that was just phrased weirdly). Seems there must be an indirect connection at the very least, even though this person is not suspected of wrongdoing.

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose

@stephaniebutzer

·
7m

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office has added that the area they are searching is a residential property. The property owner is fully cooperative and is not connected to #SuzanneMorphew's disappearance, the sheriff's office says. An update will be provided after the search.

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose on Twitter
It could be a house owned by someone out of state who uses it at a vacation home or rental property.

Or maybe they know who isn’t connected because they know who is.

For what it's worth (which is nothing), I'm guessing that the stop sign with the intersection street signs on top of it that appears in the extreme left of the very first picture that appeared this afternoon says: "US Highway 50" and "Vandaveer Rd". It would seem to have been looking in the general direction of CR 105. JMO

If this is where she is buried and it's a job that BM worked on and completed then it can only be him. Think of the timings

Or it was not a job site but just an area rather isolated and the person dug a small hole and concreted and maybe added dirt on top. No idea. But a horse or large dog can be buried that way although hopefully not ever on another's property, and she was small. Sad no matter what. Sad, stupid, and sickening. MOO.

Bringing this forward / BBM:

“CrimeOnline reached Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert Bertram, who confirmed that Barry Morphew is one of about 40 volunteer firefighters in the county. Asked if he had any information about a possible training that Morphew had attended on May 10, Bertram said it was the first he’d heard of it.

“Due to [the coronavirus pandemic], our firefighters have not been attending any trainings sponsored by us,” Bertram said, adding that sometimes firefighters will pay for training courses on their own. The fire chief said he had heard, rather, that Morphew had been working a landscaping job in Denver on May 10.”

Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

-so maybe the above bbm is partially correct, excluding the “Denver” part-or did he do both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader